Spring time Chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I have to say your blooms are wonderful, all of you. That game between WSU and NotreDame knocked us out. I am glad Kentucky is still in it( I think?)

Anyway, my dersert rose is huge, I set it out to get "hardened " it lost all it's leaves and starting to put out new growth. I have really fast draining soil in it so it has been pretty happy and bloomed every year for me. Joe put the banana out front yesterday. It always looks dead, but I had him feel the leaf swells in the stem, so he is really hopeful this is the year for nanners/ fruit. I also have taken some things out to the front to get used to some sunlight. I am still wondering what we are going to do with the plumeria which as about a foot tall four years ago and now over 9 ft tall and bending against the ceiling down there. Joe assures me I won't have to cut it to get it out. HA!
I'd show pics but I am at work on lunch. *sigh*
So glad to see all you gals!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, Debra, KY is still in and play Saturday in the semi-finals. At least those games won't end in the middle of the night like some of the games have. I rooted for the Shockers in their game. I'm sorry they didn't win it. :( I think the teams all get tired. It's Michigan State vs. Dule and Wisconsin vs. Kentucky in the upcoming semi-final game. At least they will have had some time to rest.

I need to check my cold-hardy banana that's planted in the ground. I hope it will eventually bounce back but the combination of all the ice and snow (wet) with abnormally cold temps may have done it in.

it is 81 here right now! sheesh! no Spring???

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

You're warmer than we are. Only 74 in Texas.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Debra! My plumerias are also about a foot tall, so I am to expect them to get huge? lol If I don't kill them first. I already lost one, I think it got too cold or maybe too wet, not sure. Onre of them kept leaves all winter in the greenhouse and the other lost it's leaves and went dormant, I guess. I am still waiting for it to come back out. I have an Amaryllis in my kitchen window that usually blooms around Christmas and is just now blooming. Strange...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi All - I'm back. ;)

Nice to see all the chatter. I'm actually finding a bit of hope and optimism in spring and the garden. I may even start some seeds this week!

Nanny - I have a plumeria that someone gave me at a Round Up event a few years ago. I babied it and mine is also a foot tall. I don't know how long it takes for them to bloom from seed, but I guess after all the babying I will be thrilled to have something other than a weird tall cigar looking thing with no foliage. Ha ha.

For all the neglect I have a lot weeding to do. I'm thinking I could do it just a little at a time instead of all at once. You know I completely let it grow over last season because I didn't know if I would still be in this house.

GORGEOUS day here, I am so delighted. I hope you all are enjoying your day.

xo
A.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful day her with highs in the 60's but now they are saying that we will have rain moving in tomorrow night and into Friday. The Easter egg hunt from work is to be Friday at 2:00 and was really looking forward to watching Noah hunt for the eggs.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Kathy

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Forgot to ask if anyone has any of the Aloe Vera plant? I would pay postage to be able to get another start of this. Thanks, Kathy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Kathy - I have a lovely 3" start that can be yours! Just almost warm enough to send without worry. Send me a dmail to discuss.

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They almost always have Aloe Vera at our Walmart and also often at the grocery.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I hadn't saw any so far this year and as my car is currently out of commission it is hard for me to even get to town. Megan was going to pick me up from work today but hers was acting up and as it I also raining didn't want to take the baby out and something go wrong.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like Amanda will send you a small cutting.

it was 73* here today, but we have had storms on and off. Storms expected into Friday with heavy rain up to 3" and golf ball sized hail

Glad to hear it is warming up for you! It is 90 here in Texas!

high 70's here today .. no rain in sight. Next week is going to be a scorcher with an 87 one day. bleah.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Katgroves love the family photo you have for your avitar.... very nice indeed.

Yes i actually have crocusus a blooming too. Daffys are not up yet but springing from the ground a little bit. Tulips too. Love spring. We got a nice spring rain today. The smell of the rain is so nice. Nothing like a nice spring rain for sure..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hate that hail. :(

Gusty winds tonight and tomorrow with highs of 60's and 70's. Showers and possibly hail.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

First Iris bloomed today. Also realized the big "weedy" plants in the flower garden are some kind of huge poppy I must have seeded out there. It's been in the high 70's low 80's the past week. Nice weather to garden in the morning and evening.

Violets, grape hyacinths, large hyacinths,lilac bush , red bud and pear tree, the two bridal wreaths, some tulips and daffs, the nanking cherry, and my new double flowering almond are all blooming. We had the 67 wind gusts go thru here, with some pea sized hail, colder temps,lots of thunder and a 5 minute rain shower, big deal but glad we got something. now Joe will apply his yard stuff front and back. He loves his grass and loves his Bermuda the most.
he wishes it were all Bermuda,, but I planted fescue on the shady side I have been fixing since the sewer way back in 2006 the shade part was bare from the house to the back fence.
What are the two types bushes are these.. here is my favorite it has dainty double blooms, the other has narrower leaves and single white flowers, and one of my daffys.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra very beautiful. Love the little white flowers on that shrub. Sorry i do not know what they are. Besides pretty.
Domehome i planted an iris last summer. I sure hope it blossoms. Do not know why but i do not have the knack for iris. They just never make it for me. My mom has hers planted all wrong and they do so beutifully. Lol.

Sorry, I don't know what they are either. But they are very pretty.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I believe they are Bridal Veil Spirea and the Cotoneaster.

well here is one of them, thanks to your suggestions.. the double flower one : Spiraea prunifolia
Still iffy about the coton easter let's keep looking.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Does the plant produce red berries?

no, that is why I am still looking.. I wish it did, tho. :)

Natick, MA

I have cottoneasters (didnt know what they were til someone on DG indentified them last year) and they produce red berries in the fall.

well these just produce more sticks LOL

used to be like this a few years ago, then the new neighbors cut it all down on their side of the fence, along with three trees and a huge shrub, now it looks like this.. ( second pic)

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra I am glad I don't have to contend with neighbors cutting stuff down, there would be war! lol
Amidst all the storms, I did find a ray of sunshine. My amaryllis is blooming! It is a cheerful sight after all this rain we have had. And it has been too nasty to enjoy the flowers blooming outside. But the sun is shining today although it is pretty chilly,36*, at least it isn't raining.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Debra, that is a huge difference!

Beautiful amaryllis!

Thanks LK :)

That red is stunning, thanks for the eye candy this am, I am at work and already wishing I hadn't volunteered. The plants outside all survived the 34 this am. I knew they would ..

Thanks Debra, my camera doesn't really do justice to the dazzling red color it is. One of these days I will get a camera that shows reds and purples more true.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pairs of Cardinals flitting around this morning. Beautiful. Overcast here and cooler but no frost.

Love those Amaryllis, Annette.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

That shrub with the double blooms looks like Pearl bush to me.

Thanks Carole. I was pleased to see it bloom again.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Reblooms are great. I am working on some projects around the house so gardening has been minimal. The spring greens, yellows and pinks are all on display. Tennessee Ostrich Ferns are up and the Celandine Poppies are blooming. Wonderful!

wish I could see everyone's spring blooms in person. Heading up to see Bonnie and Jo this weekend. Can't wait to see people who actually like plants and "net friends" at the same time :)

Tell Them we all said hello!

Last day to sign up for the frog swap!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1389410/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have these really pretty lottle blue flowers blooming they do every year i do not know what they are called. But loads of leeps have them in there yards around nere. Very vibrant bleu. My stars of bethlehem are blooming and so are my lenton roses. Love those so much there is even a bunch opening. They have never blossemed before. It still early i will try and get a pic of the later. So happy it is finally nice outside. Today its supposed to be in the jpper 60s we are planning on working in the yard todah. I am going to clean out my shed. It needs lots of repairs and a new roof.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.