Spring time Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for joining, it should be a lot of fun!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi! LOVE THE SUNFLOWER! The colors are beautiful!
I'm going to try and plant some sunflowers this year....a few years ago I decided to copy my aunt...she always saves one row in her veggie garden for sunflowers....and of course the deer ate EVERYONE of my sunflowers! So this year....I've started them inside and am going to plant them in a different garden. :)

Crazy weather here today....we has snow showers and baby hail.....annoying to be so cold again! But the snow is still melting so we are on the right track! :)

I'm off to check out the garden decoration swap.....thanks for the link!

We have no deer in our neighborhood.

I hope you can grow some sunflowers, there are so many pretty colors.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I take and make a little round fence with 4' fence wire and enclose mine. The deer here really like to eat them too. The fence also can serve as a support if need be. I grow the really giant single headed ones, so pretty. But I also like to try new ones, but only if they make seed for the birds!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

good idea , Dee.
I love sunflowers. Mine always get about 15 ft tall and I bend them down and tie them in arches for my glories to climb on and make my "living green walls"
Caught our first critter of the season outside, it was a large mouse, had a hole right up and under the house in the flower garden, told Joe set the trap, about 6 minutes later snap it went. Now I have to get the rest of the family. I don't mind them, but they always end up running across my feet at some point and I hate that.
Joe trimmed the bamboo, I worked in the yard all day, it was great having a weekday off for a change. Back at work, about to have a tornado this afternoon, evening I guess, *sigh*

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra, we are expecting that severe weather tomorrow afternoon. Stay safe.

Be careful in those storms.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Ohh, I like the "living walls" idea. I'll have to think on that one, not sure where I could use that idea. It would be cool even to just plant sunflowers on either side of a path and tie them at the top for that arbor look. I might be able to do that in the flower garden.

It is going to be a wild weather day here with heavy rain, T-Storms and large hail possible, up to 2" in diameter. I will be moving plants back indoors just in case we do get that large hail. Oh and let's not forget the 50 mph winds that might accompany this storm system. Geez! This afternoon could get rough! Let's hope the weather guy is wrong about the forecast.

We got rain and hail last night, but no damage to anything.

That's good LK. I hope everyone in the path of these storms is safe and well. This is the part I hate about Spring. Severe weather usually comes with it.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Some spring plants popping out in my yard... yippie. Epimediums, drum stick primrose. First year for this beauty. Checkered lilies, some kind of hyacins? Not to sure but they come up every spring and i love them too.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Beautiful Pics Ronna! I am so glad things are starting to come up for you up there.

Those are really pretty. I have never seen them.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank goodness for perennial plants! Ive been weeding a little every day for weeks. then Will have to start again in th original spot.

Rain today here too, but the week was magnificent. :)

xo
A.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have some "button bush" seeds that have sprouted and I don't know what plant this is. I probably pulled them from the Fall Robin. All of the "button bushes" look interesting but I'd love to know what this one is, anyone have a guess?

I have never heard of button bush, but from what I saw on Google search, they are pretty.

I have button bush.. I got the seeds from the country.. Ronna your blooms are beautiful. LK, I am glad you didn't get any bad stuff, boy we didn't get a drop of that rain here..
my button bush is not blooming yet, they do like a lot of water.. I dump the sink tubs on it every day.. ( we still save our dish water in white tubs and dump it on the trees and bushes)

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

They look like an attractive bush. The seedlings are so tiny. I guess I'll just keep repotting them until they get large enough to go out in the garden.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am starting to see butterflies too. Lots of things blooming now.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Wonderful pictures Carole! Looks like things are really coming alive there. We are a little behind you, but things are starting to bloom here, too. The Dwarf Iris and Columbine, and Phlox of course are blooming. I will try to get some pictures later. Have a great day everyone!

Love all the cheer that young waking plants give us. Your gardens are really colorful. I don't grow that creeping phlox, I sure like looking at yours!

Love the pictures.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I love all the color and the bright spring green this time of year.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I have a few roses blooming, and our prickly pears are in bloom.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice roses, LK. My prickly pears haven't bloomed yet.

my cacti are setting buds, so are my roses. LK, you take really good pics of blooms, those roses belong in PF's if you know their names. ;)

I don't know their names. I have had them a few years, and I have a hard time keeping tags. The dogs think they are toys, and run off with them.

8th Annual red white and blue swap is open.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1392629/

What is it about dogs and plant tags, anyway? Mine do the same thing, lol. Beautiful roses LK. I have been trying to get things cleaned up on the patios. All the plants will be coming out of winter storage very soon, so I am getting ready for it. You all have a great day!

Don't work too hard!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

how did I mss this thread?

You have been busy I guess? Glad you found us.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'm glad too. next time use bread crumbs

Will do.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks

(((Kathy)))

well, another day another dollar.. I work this weekend too. Boo hiss
we need rain. I have a bucket of peonys that need to be planted. Joe dug up the dead flowering quince that I got at RU, and planted a huge tub of cannas that were brought up from the basement in it's place. He has been so good at doing things for me. All my milkweeds are up and strong, the lilys are up, the lily of the valleys are spent with the tulips and daffys, roses are all fat with buds... the paper whites just quit blooming. I have a ton of seedlings ready to transplant, hope I can get to them this weekend.
I gave Joe the huge planters out back I usually keep flowers in, for his yukon gold potatos, they really are full and pretty. in return .. I come home to good food like these lamb chops..two more years.. only two more years, if only it was now..Crystal, I think you sent me this clematis..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra love the clematis. I have one something like that i think. Lol. I had to cut it down last year so no flowers on it at all. This year cause of the old wood i should have those beauties again. Big mistake cutting that one. So beautiful. We have been getting some pretty hard frost here overnight still. So hope all is well in the yard. I am planning on being out there after some arrends are done. Can not wait. Today and tomorrow off. Have a great day all.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice, Debra. We're seeing a lot more blooms now. It's moving into azalea time. And the Bluebirds are busy.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Clematis is Nellie Moser. Blooms on both old and new wood, so can be trimmed to shape without feat of bloom loss.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.