Spring time Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean, Ronna.

Nice to have free help, Debra. To me, Hellebores are like the majority of plants - fairly easy to grow if you are a gardener - but not so much from seed unless it is fresh.

Now we are down to the Sweet Sixteen. Our two teams, KY and Louisville, are both still in.

Won't be long until the Forsythias burst into bloom. And the Pussy Willows and the Daylilies and the Sedums. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

All you southerners are so lucky to have spring now. I do have a couple daffy and crocuses just coming up. But nothing else. Enjoy your monday all.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

After I had my one Hellebore several years, a couple more popped up. It is easier (at least for me) to find a place where they are happy and let them do their own reseeding. I have them growing under deciduous trees. I also bought some seedlings (which the woman had dug from reseeding in her own yard) from a woman I found on the Farmer's Bulletin. It was a classified ad paper for farm related stuff. The paper was discontinued but I wonder if it went online.... Most staes had these bulletins in the past.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I found the Alabama one. It's called a market bulletin. Other states have them also. Looks like they did not discontinue but simply started charging. Postage I guess. You can look at last years bulletins (and perhaps even order from them as the addresses and phones seem to be included).

http://www.agi.alabama.gov/news-recalls/farmers-bulletin

You might find one for your own state or adjacent state.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Here is an ad I found in the last May Alabama bulletin:

Fragrant Sweet Shrub 2/$7; Cranefly Orchids
6/$12; Helleborus (mxd.) sm./med.
12/$15; Garden Phlox white/mxd. colors
6/$15; Daylillies mxd. colors 10/$20; $5
shipping ea. Mildred Maroney 784 Talucah
Rd., Valhermoso Springs 35775 256/778-
8561 (Morgan)

The phone number is included so you could call and talk to her about the Hellebores. Morgan is the county.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Also found this for some of you daylily aficionados:

Hybrid daylilies for sale, hundreds to choose
from, $2.25/fan. 11311 Co Rd 87, Roanoke
36274 256/449-2059 (Randolph)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I gotta move to Alabama ..

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

We welcome you. But you could call and they might mail to you. I certainly could not drive to Morgan county, altho I do occasionally go to Roanoke.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I lost you all and just now found you. lol Looks like you have been busy in my absence. I do have some Daffodils and Hyacinths beginning to bloom, crocus and Iris blooming. I didn't get pics of the daffs and hyacinths yet.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oh I love crocus, they don't do well here, to warm. You're Iris are blooming, I wish mine would start, they're kind a late this year.

beautiful! I think I need to plant some crocus this fall.. those are beautiful.

I have some daffs, nanking cherry, bridal wreath, in bloom. That is it. Those usually don't bloom until the pear tree and redbud, but those two trees are still in bud.. even my wild vilolets are late, or the other things are early.. *shrug* strange March so far,,not enough rain/snow for one thing.
Oh, that is Oreo, the Corgie behind us, he is a sweetie.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Speaking of dogs, we don't need one, we have a ton of them all around us, including the new cute lil puppy now to the south of us, have to get a pic of him/her yet.. these three are to the north.. Dottie, Wesson and the newest addition to their family, Scout. He has blue eyes. Cute little spaniel. Their youngest daughter Hadley is in New York getting her scans, she has been battling a bad cancer for almost tow years now. Her big sister, Kalynn and Dad stayed home this time.
Meanwhile, downstairs.. Queen Emma has decided to bloom for me, finally after a nice DG'r sent her to me a few years ago.. and finally, Joe made this meal for us, it cost 50 bucks to make.. it is called beef short rib fricassee over mashed potato's made with a whole bottle of wine.. He is quite the retired house husband now.. he got his bean patch turned over, and all 30 of his potato seed pieces planted in my pots and his patch..( He plants 3 to a huge tub) *sigh* I have to wait for them to be emptied before I can plant my vines in them, but that is okay, I still have the jungle in the basement. Poor Charlie is gonna have to lug that plumeria and hibiscus upstairs and out the door.. then I'm going to have to chop it back I think before it comes back in.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

That sounds good Debra, nice to have a hubby that can cook!
Love those blooms! And those dogs are so cute!

well, I forgot the pic LOL it tastes better than it looks.

Thumbnail by joeswife

YUM!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like Scout is ready to jump the fence and join you. :)

We have had very warm weather but will soon have some of our late frosts. Better go get my Stapelia gigantea and bring it back inside.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I heard on last nights weather they are predicting in the hi 30's both Saturday and Sunday nights here. I guess it is good I did not start dragging stuff out of the greenhouse. But we also do not have any shade protection yet.The leaves have not come out on the walnuts nor oaks, which is what provides my shade.

Sorry to hear your temps are still cool! Wish I could send you all some of out temps!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I'll be complaining soon enough about the heat, I am sure.

ha, me too. the low went from 34 to 28 predicted for Friday, Joe only has to bring in 4 things, tho.
I saved four big bags of leaves to "blanket other tenders up I uncovered. Soon, we will all be complaining about the heat here. I love the temps up in Buffalo in summer, but the winters are too much for Joe to want to move up to be with his Mom. I don't know if I could stand it without a basement garden or something. We will bring things to the east facing front porch to harden off and get used to real sunlight when it is time, only a few things are coming up anyway.
My stapelia gigatia is really growing since I cut it back a bit.

I'm going to go up north the weekend of my birthday to meet up with Bonnie, one day, and KayJones the next.. KayJones and I will celebrate our birthdays together, it has been awhile since we have seen each other. Three years in May, when my sister and I went down to Florida.
Would be nice to see Joyce ( Happ) while I am up there, but I think she is still busy doing tax stuff.

Planning another trip to Texas, LK, so will let you know when that is going to be.

:)

I can't wait to see you again Debra!

Grand Portage, MN(Zone 4a)

Anyone want to come to MN and enjoy the snow we're getting today?

So far I have nothing blooming but I'm hoping in a few weeks to share a few bloom pictures. My Spider plants are popping babies right and left, I just separated a bunch of Gasteria pups from the main mother plant. That's about it for new growth so far.

I just bought the current issue of Mother Earth News and it really got me excited about several ideas I can do in the yard this year but if this snow would ever quit then I could start! Can't wait for our Spring to arrive!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh no, more snow. We're getting rain. It has been warm but has cooled off again - even some nights at or below freezing. Gee, I really want to get the deck replaced. First it couldn't be done due to the ice and snow and now the rain.

I enjoy Mother Earth. I didn't subscribe again this year.

The KY Wildcats play tonight. It's the late game so I may fall asleep. Hate that. Debra, the Shockers and the Wildcats will play each other if they both win.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Good morning,
Woke up to the sound of rain on my tin roof. Today is my appointment with the surgeon so of course it would be raining as it is a 2 hour trip but one I have been waiting on for 7 weeks. I'm not doing the driving so all is well.

I want to watch the Wildcats also but may fall asleep before it is over.

Kathy

Good luck with your appt !

Hope your day goes well, Kathy. Let's all try to stay awake for the game/games. ( I always fall asleep in my chair if I am in it)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll definitely be trying!

Cats play at 9:45 pm , I will never make it til the end of that game. But I will catch it on the highlights if I can't stay awake.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yep. I think I slept well last night. Hope so. :)

Well I am back online, again. Internet issues have been resolved hopefully. So now I have to go back and read what I missed last week.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good. It's quiet on this thread. I have lots of buds on my Flowering Quince. Can't wait until it blooms. The daffodils are really starting to burst into bloom. They always make me smile - so cheerful.

Seems like a long time between basketball games. ;-)

This message was edited Mar 31, 2015 5:31 AM

Yes it does seem like a long time between games, but after that last one UK played we could use a little rest! lol I did stay up and watch that game and it was a real nail biter.
My daffodils are really beginning to bloom too. And I have kept busy while my internet was out, it gave me more time to work in the greenhouse. lol

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Those are beautiful!

More pics from the greenhouse. My little greenhouse is filling up fast! Just wait until time to transplant all those seedlings!
My desert rose is blooming for the first time. I managed to keep it alive that long, lol. Carole are you still looking for some red stem EEs? I have some I will gladly share with you.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

Thanks LK! I saw on a post somewhere that you had some lovely things blooming too. I can't ait til it gets warm enough to start moving things outside. They really do so much better out in the fresh air and sunshine. It has been a long hard winter on the plants too.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Envious of your desert rose. I had one once that I bought in Arizona (it was a billion degrees in the greenhouse where it was.) I carried it all the way back to Alabama by car (what a pain.) Kept it for years. Never bloomed. Got smaller with the passage of years. Eventually I tossed it because I do not like to watch slow death. Where on earth did I go wrong.??

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Yesterday I started gradually taking things out of the g'house. I think I am through with frost, but still not enough shade yet.
Cymbidiums out first. Also set the tomato plants out in the sun and gave them a little more fertilizer. I can quickly set them back inside if the wind gets up.

Crystal, my Desert Rose came from a very nice DGr in Texas, named Roger. He also sent me some Plumeria cuttings. I have kept my Desert Rose in the greenhouse. I am tickled that it has lasted this long. First one I ever grew, but he did send me some seed to, so I might try starting some. I just did what he said and watered very sparingly. Which is hard when you are watering in the greenhouse, everything tends to get wet when I water. lol

Natick, MA

Good morning, all!

I have been checking in occassionally, but very busy at work and last weekend son was home from college, so it was nice to spend some time w/him. He recently broke up with his girlfriend of 4 yrs who was SOOOO controlling (you would not beleive!) and is SO much happier. I'm thrilled!

Have today off from work (my usual day off) and it's sunny and blue sky (even tho it's 40, wish it were warmer)!

Love to see all your flowers including those into the greenhouse!
Have a great day everyone!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Adenium. Mine didn't bloom after the first year or two, but it was pretty while it lasted. Probably too much water. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.