Spring time Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385933/#top

Sure sign it is spring in Texas, is when the Texas mountain laurel bloom!

Thumbnail by taters55
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

May I join the chat?

You sure can, anyone is welcome here.

And a big Happy Birthday to you!

Thumbnail by taters55
Natick, MA

Hi Linda & Dome - and everyone else.
Dome, it's your Birthday!? Well, "Saints Begorrah"...HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

Today feels like Spring (Finally!) here in Massachusetts. Still a foot and a half of snow on the ground, but my first 2 daffodils sprouts near the house are coming up! It's 50 degrees and FEELS like Spring -- YAY!

Linda, that is a beautiful chocolate creation!

Hey Val! Hope the snow melts soon!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Looking forward to a nice day, going to the botanical garden with the family. It's 69 degrees here, perfect for a walk. I can't imagine it feeling like spring with snow on the ground, LOL.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Happy Happy Birthday! I wish you the best day ever.

Love those mountain laurels, LK.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Mountain Laurel, LK.

it might be Spring, but felt like winter today.. outside.. I was cold all day cuz I dressed for the 83 we had yesterday.. my toes and ankles ere cold all day. bleah.
meanwhile..we are all just growing away..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes one day 80 like Debra tuesday 40. Very cold windy blustery. Still had a nice evening mom my made us dinner my husband played his guitar for them she was so happy. Back to work today and tomorrow then off to warch my granddaughter. Can not wait to hold her and smother her with kisses. Lol.
I am happy..... found a couple little tiny yellow and purple striped crocouses. Not seeing to much more. Still early. Usually my ligularias are the first to pop up. Been looking. Have a wonderful day all.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We've had some very warm weather and now it's turning cooler again. It's only going to 56° today with rain tonight.

I bought a few indoor plants even though I swore I wouldn't this year - a palm, a couple of Sanseverias. When the new plants start arriving at the garden centers, I'm going to have to find my will power somewhere. Now where did I put that?? lol.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm a day late wishing you a Happy Birthday, DomehomeDee. I hope it was a really good one!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra, I lost track of the Shockers. Are they still in the tourney? Kentucky plays again tonight in the quarter finals.

Took our cats to the vet for their annual checkups and vaccines yesterday. That's always a lot of fun. ;-)

Had my teeth cleaned - only have one small cavity. Still have the broken tooth but think I will just have it pulled. Hate to lose my first tooth but I just don't want anymore metals in my mouth.

It's raining here today. The weather is back and forth between cool and warm. Typical spring for us. More and more buds showing on the daffs but no blooms yet. The hellebores are still blooming. Daylillies and iris are up as well as all the sedums. Once the rain stops and the sun comes out, lots of things should be bursting into bloom. Can't wait to see my creeping phlox. I look so forward to them every year. They remind me of my grandmother.

Soon the weather will be nice enough to have the deck replaced ... and I can order new blinds for the house. Really looking forward to that.

Carole, I love your new house plants.
If I had to do over, I'd never had any teeth pulled when I did, but now I have to have three more pulled, and replaced with a bridge. ugh.
I do have daffys blooming, and I noticed the red flowered shrubs are blooming now,I don't have any of those, but they sure are pretty. All the blooming trees are suddenly popped and soon we will all be sneezing.
Wish I had the forsythia, it is so pretty, my pussy willow is budded out back can't wait for that.
Joe got his taters planted.
Yes, we are still in tournament, Shockers and the Jayhawks. It is going to be a nerve racking time for the sportsers out there..
Good luck on that deck, wish we would get one, but he is still saying new cement on the patio.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just don't want any more mercury and other metals in my head. They suspect those of causing dementia and Alzheimer's. Not good. Sometimes there are no great options.

I got out and walked the yard just now. Lots of things are budding and a few blooms. Won't be long now. :) My pussy willow is looking good but I forgot to snap a picture. I'll post more tomorrow.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

My daffodils are on the way out. Narcissus are blooming. The white daffodils are taking their turn now. redbuds seem to have sprung out just a day ago, The sloe plum is all budded up. The weather is beautiful. If I just did not have an income tax form following me around...

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thought I'd share a few garden pics, starting to get some blooms!!!
Would love to see some of your pics . . .

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Those are beautiful! Not much in bloom here. Things are greening up really nice.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Just a few things blooming here but it won't be long.

Happy first day of spring!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

LK, I never heard of Texas Mountain Laurel. It is beautiful. I was researching it a little to see if it would grow here (zone 8). Think it might be too wet?

Dome, can you post some names of the flowers? Looks like the first might be Bletilla, The second might be a geranium??, the third might be a succulent. Tell us what all these are, please.

Natick, MA

Morning, Ladies!
Doesnt feel like spring here. It's in the teens and 3" of snow this afternoon to tomorrow. Will this winter ever end!?
Linda, that is a gorgeous tree!
Dome, those are beautiful blooms...are these blooming in your garden now? I, too, am interested in what they are :o)
Cville, seems the month/season for tooth problems. Popcorn kernels deadly. I always tell my daughter, but apparently one was hiding in popcorn and I chomped down on my crown. Dentist thinks if I have pain the root might have split, which means a bridge! Lucky me. I feel very old! LOl
Have a wonderful day, ladies, Hopefully even tho it doesnt feel like it here, the official day of spring will bring alot more Springlike weather REALLY SOON to my area!
Val

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Raining here to start our spring but that is lots better than snow which we have had plenty of also. Off for 3 days so hoping to go and fund a dress for Easter Sunday as this will be the only weekend that I would be able to.

Happy Spring everybody and hope that warm weather shows up soon and stays.

Kathy

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Val - Yes that's Bletilla orchid, then Lachenalia, Geranium, Calendrinia, and another mini Geranium. I got the Geraniums from the local club, they are a smaller size and quite charming. They are all blooming in my garden now. The weather has been warmer here than usual for March. I am just putting in my spring annuals but the lady down the street already has blooming sunflowers from volunteer seed!
Wishing the rest of you some warmer weather, I'm just loving it.
Dee

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We're going to 70° today. The Hellebores are still blooming. So many things budding out there.

Beautiful, Dee.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra, looks like the Shockers will play the Jayhawks. Woohoo! I'll try to watch that one. KY plays again today. Some sportscasters think they'll win it all and some don't. Go Big Blue!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Heading to 65 today with plenty of sunshine. Gong to go shopping with youngest daughter and grandson for Easter.

My hellebores are blooming also, had to get them uncovered from all the leaves but they are looking better and the sunshine should help.

Go Cats!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, katgroves. We'll be watching the Cats play today at noon our time.

Yes, you can see I had to remove lots of leaves as well. :) We have several deciduous trees in our front yard and back up to woods in the back. Leaves everywhere. Yesterday, I spent some time removing dead leaves, cutting off old stalks and dead stuff, and tossing things that I didn't want, broken pots included. Still have a lot to do. Of course, it never ends.

Those hellebore's are beautiful!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK. I'm thinking I must have gotten them at WM but I've been wracking my brain trying to remember. :)

Natick, MA

C'ville,
WM had hellebores!? Wow!
How long ago did you plant them? (I'm assuming you did not get blooms in one season??)

Speaking of which, I need some advise about bareroots, etc. from Walmart I bought. Good deals, most are really nice size and most have sprouts..ie clematis. I was going to pot them up and give them a start, esp'lly with this year's tough winter and ground still frozen, so can only imagine who long they would otherwise have to stay in the little bags they came in.

Would you pot them up and then what? Put them in a warm environment (70+) and let them start growing, or let them stay pretty much dormant in an unheated gararge or basement til later?
If the later, should they be watered when still in cold environment?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Grand Portage, MN(Zone 4a)

I have never before seen the trees here bud this early but they are actually getting new buds!! This is a positive sign for me that Spring is here even though I heard we are getting another 5 inches of heavy, wet snow on Wednesday but I hope it melts as fast as it shows up.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Dome, I am unfamiliar with the Lachenalia and the Calendrinia . Maybe those are CA plants that a wet humid Southland can just forget about? They are very beautiful.

Has anyone ever grown Blue Shrimp, Cerinthe major ? from seed? If so, tell me about it. Saw some on Etsy, the seed that is, but comes from Hong Kong.

Happy Birthday Crystal! I hope you have an awesome day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

valal, our Walmart has had a few hellebores. I think I also ordered some from Plant Delights. I see they have a *yellow* one this year. Just might have to have that. :)

http://www.plantdelights.com/Helleborus-x-hybridus-Golden-Lotus-for-sale/Buy-Golden-Lotus-Lenten-Rose/

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Cville - Beautiful Hellebores. It reminds me I have a few I need to put in the ground. They will grow from seed (must be fresh seed and takes like 9 months) so keep your eye out for seeds. I just stuck them in a pot on my deck and kept them damp and in 9 months they came up!
The Lachenalia is a bulb and the Calendrinia is a succulent. The later is easy to grow here, but it does like it kind of dry.
I have two Blue shrimp plants I grew from seed this year, they are about 5" tall now. Check Smartseeds, that's where I got mine from. It's a trustworthy place to buy exotic seeds from. I was just looking at the rest of the Blue shrimp seeds today and wondering where I could put a couple more. I have bought them in plant form before from Annie's Annuals. They are very exotic looking.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I had some fresh Hellebore seeds but didn't get them planted. Maybe I will this time. I really do want to try the yellow variety. I see besides Plant Delights, Forest Farm (good reviews) has them as well as Burpee (mixed reviews).

I like the looks of that Blue Shrimp Plant. I see it can be grown in my zone so I might try it this year. Looks like a good hummingbird plant.

Natick, MA

Gorgeous Hellebore! They look so delicate and fancy :) Dome, I envy you all your flowers blooming now. ENJOY some for me :O)

I had never heard of the blue shrimp plant; very interesting (lovely!) plant! I had to look it up!

I had to look it up too. Very pretty!
I will have to try to find some seeds!

Quote from Cville_Gardener :
Thanks, katgroves. We'll be watching the Cats play today at noon our time.

Yes, you can see I had to remove lots of leaves as well. :) We have several deciduous trees in our front yard and back up to woods in the back. Leaves everywhere. Yesterday, I spent some time removing dead leaves, cutting off old stalks and dead stuff, and tossing things that I didn't want, broken pots included. Still have a lot to do. Of course, it never ends.

Thank goodness my daughter, Rose, came over to help me do all that today. She even dug and turned the huge compost pile. She said see you next weekend so I am thrilled. SHe says she needs the excersize, the vitamin d and it is a good stress reliever. She did gripe a bit at me when I tried to help. LOL

Shockers won, I fell asleep watching the game, Joe woke me up about twenty seconds before they won to watch, then I fell back asleep. I am out of shape!
I have never grown hellebores. I bet they are so easy. I don't know why I havn't tried.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh i love my hellobores and have been wanting some more. Cville those yellow ones are so beautiful. I looked at them. Would love some to order them. 20.00 is really not that bad for them really. Trying to decide if i should order them or not. Really funny when i got mine i tried them in so many places in my yard. Kept on moving them. I am not one to throw something away ofter purchasing something. I keep trying. Then i placed them in a morning sun and late afternoon spot. They are happy there. Everytime i find somewhere that sells them they are sold out. Will have to look on plant files.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.