What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?

Pawleys Island, SC

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 7:03 AM

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

We have snow equipment here but things still shut down when we get over 6" of snow at a time. We only ended up with 2 additional inches of snow last night and school is on a 2 hour delay. I'm not sure why they delayed this morning, the roads are clear.
No offense taken, I'm a Cold Yankee this morning. Lol
I watched a show the other night called American Supernatural. It was about Pauleys Island and the Man in gray. Your Island is beautiful! :-) I thought of you when I heard Pawleys Island. Lol

Newport is gorgeous! Are the blooms as huge as they look? Your on your way to becoming a Super Hero plant saver. I don't blame you one bit, I would have saved it too. :-)

I'm getting excited to try propagating Lilium bulbs by scaling them. I have some cheap bulbs coming to experiment with so if I kill the whole bulb I won't be out much. Lol After I perfect a method then I will try scaling some of my species Lilium bulbs. I'm also trying Oriental Lily from seed this year. If everything grows then I'm going to have a mass amount of Lily bulbs. :-) I can only hope to have such problems.

I'll be back after I get my son off to school.

Pawleys Island, SC

I have grown a tall lily from seed. It is fun to watch them till they bloom. Mine is kind of a muddy red. Have fun. I have never tried scaling them.

Yes the blooms on the epis will be between 6 and 10 inches in diameter. That is why they fascinate me so much. I am not sure about Newport, It may be a medium or small. I just loved the variegation in the bloom.

Yes, this whole area is steeped in the supernatural. We have ghost tours of the different places. I know a guy who swears he saw the gray man before a hurricane, but I never have. He had a house on the street across from the beach and when hurricane hugo came through, his house was in the marsh. It was sad. Hugo cut the island in half and destroyed a lot of houses. His was ok, but was blown off it's pilings and 2 blocks away. Some houses were floated off with the tables still set. It was weird to see and others were completely destroyed. We have been blessed, never to have significant damage.

I am a plant saving superhero! LOL

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

This is my first attempt at growing Lily from seed. I neglected to dead head some of my lilies this year and they produced seed pods. Since they worked so hard to produce the seeds, I had to collect them and give it a try. Collecting seeds is one of my favorite things about late summer and Fall.

I could easily get addicted to Epies. It's a good thing stores around here do not carry them. I love big beautiful blooms. I love the colors in Newport!

I couldn't imagine seeing your hometown devastated by a hurricane. We had Ike blow up here in 2008 from Texas. He still had 80 mile hour winds when he hit Ohio. We lost power for 5 days. It took trees down all over the place and ripped people's shingles and siding off their houses. I had never heard wind howl so loud in my life. We were lucky in that we had no damage other than broken tree limbs. Mother Nature sure has her ways of letting us all know who is boss.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from taylordaylily :
Linda, If I could get away, I would be there in a jiffy.
We got 14" of snow overnight back in 2004 a couple days before Christmas. I had to work the next morning. It was a fun drive that morning. We normally don't get that much snow at one time. It's normally more in the 3 to 6" range or just a inch or so at a time. I enjoy the snow, there is still a lot of little kid in me. Lol I enjoy playing in snow in the winter and playing in creeks and garden beds in the summer.

Susan, Oh, that must have made a mess for your area. Our area has equipment to deal with snow removal, I hope yours had something. Where is your snowman? Lol

It was certainly a big mess, during the first snow we found out the big box stores like Lowe's had not reordered winter supplies in February, there was no salt or heaters or shovels. LOL. After it snowed it sleeted on top of the snow and then it all froze hard. Very slippery and the parking lots and side walks were pure ice for days.

The city does not have that many plows, it is always a slow process and they never get to the back streets where the school buses have to travel, also the mail man and the paper boy. The children always miss a lot of school. Nobody has snow tires so driving is crazy!!

I did not make a snow man myself but I did donate snow to the kids down the street,lol, they built one that was 6 feet tall. Quite a sight. :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from ibartoo :
We have no snow equipment. So when it threatens to snow or ice, everything shuts down. LOL The yankees that have moved south laugh at us natives because we don't know how to deal with it. We have yankees and damn yankees. The damn yankees are the ones that come down and try to change us into them. ( or don't ever go home depending on who you talk to) LOL There are very few natives left in my area. LOL I told someone I was born here and they thought I was lying. They had never met anyone actually born here. I of course used my best southern "belle" tone of voice and blessed their heart.

Your encouragement to be heroic led to yet another ( how should I say) act of heroism. I couldn't help myself. I bought/rescued another epi from my favorite seller! This one is gorgeous. Of course they all are, but looky looky:

This one is called Newport!

Virginiarose, it is gorgeous here but I like virginia too. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will go take some pics of the island and post those.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 10:59 PM

The weather is great here, we are truly blessed by high pressure so most of the time the hurricanes just blow on by. I saw a huge cat.4 hurricane coming right at us when the kids were small but they kept saying it would not come ashore. Sure enough it came right up to the coast of Va. spun around for 24 hours, I was so very nervous, but then it spun out to sea. It could not come ashore because of high pressure. lol.

It is the laws and the taxes and fees and tolls that no one likes. This place will get you coming and going. It is a commonwealth, so we do not like all the stupid laws. Especially the ones that take money out of our pockets and put it into theirs. lol.

I have the same problem as you, I grew up here but I hardly ever meet anyone from here. It is a military town and so people come and go from all over the world and they are all bad drivers, it is not us....really. :)

To complicate matters even more I am a Yankee!!

Pawleys Island, SC

We call it "singing pines", Those really whistle. The oaks crack and break and then fall on everything. The pines break easily too, but they make their own sounds. Unlike any other.
DH worked in maintenance for a resort at the time, so we rode out the storm here . We got out real early "to check" the resort and I got some unbelievable pictures.After my son was born, we started evacuating. Then when I had 150 birds ( and my son was older) we quit leaving. I wouldn't be able to get back in to my animals if I had left, so unless it is really bad, we ride them out. I don't have the birds anymore, but we still ride most of the storms out unless it is going to be really bad.

After a hurricane, we always have new "wildflowers". Seeds from wherever the storm has been get planted along with the debris.

Susan, I can't imagine a 6 ft. snowman!

My first day of work, was all paperwork and training on a computer. I did meet the lady I will be working with in floral and I think we are going to be a really good match. She is a nut like me. LOL

Pawleys Island, SC

Karen, I can help you on your way to epi addiction! LOL Will gladly trade epies for daylilies. They are very easy to take care of too. You would love them.
I probably have about 40 different varieties and most of them live in hanging baskets. They have to be kept inside during the winter, but summers, they like to hang in the trees.

Pawleys Island, SC

Susan, I have a friend not far from roanoke and some others in Norfolk. I know what you mean about the military towns. People are from everywhere.
Our taxes here are nuts too. They have now added hospitality taxes in addition to the regular tax. They find a way to tax everything.

Concord, NC

isnt sad that in the year 2015 their are still people with that ignorant mentality calling people damn yankee..We have lived in the South for 20+ years and every year you would think more people from different places coming here to enjoy the beauty and add culture and creativity of their own. would make people happy.. that the place where they grew up is becoming more creative and beautiful and that people would think enough about there area to want to not change it but improve it in their own yard and space and think enough of it to come here from other places. Not true.. hard for us to even stand in our front yard without people screaming obscenities at us for planting beautiful flowers and decorating for the holidays.. their are alot of Nice people from the south with nice souls..and then there are also as alot of people here that just exist and have no soul.. thats why they dont enjoy or celebrate anything and why so many of them can abuse small children and animals and women without conscious. The last time i checked it didnt matter where someone is from as we all live in the United States of America and the Civil War has been over for 150+ years..And a gardening site is a place for gardening and enjoyment that should be free of politics and culture and ethnicity..people dont want to hear politics and division here. they want to discuss the beauty of plants and unlike some elite or biggoted view points or segragationial and divisonist view points i just read..Everyone is welcome here on a Gardening site..regardles of any region, or religion or part of the country that they come from.

This message was edited May 29, 2015 5:02 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, glad you got Laura before she was sold out. Such a pretty thing. How about Sears Tower to go with Lola ? You are definitely going to have to raise those beds some more. You could also plant, plants that like their feet wet like some irises and grasses. Louisiana Irises come to mind
Linda, I love everyone too. LOL!!
Badcat you are off to a great start. Cute rabbits for sure.
Karen "Big Daddy Mike" sounds about right. LMHO!!
I am going to try and start some seeds this weekend.

Pawleys Island, SC

This message was edited Mar 6, 2015 3:28 PM

This message was edited Mar 6, 2015 3:52 PM

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 7:05 AM

Concord, NC

This message was edited Mar 7, 2015 10:41 AM

This message was edited May 29, 2015 5:04 PM

Concord, NC

This message was edited May 29, 2015 5:05 PM

Pawleys Island, SC

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385099/#ixzz3Tee1fCka

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 6:53 AM

Pawleys Island, SC

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 7:04 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

You are very welcome ibartoo. I have reported this person to the administration and have requested that the picture be taken down as it has offended some of our gardening friends. :)

Concord, NC

This message was edited Mar 10, 2015 8:05 PM

This message was edited May 29, 2015 5:07 PM

Pawleys Island, SC

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 7:04 AM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I deleted the photo in question; I would encourage everyone to take a look at your own posts and edit anything that got too far off topic.

And remember to set your clocks ahead tonight :-)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Let's agree to disagree and move on. I personally read nothing extra into what I believe was just an old joke. Nevertheless, what one view as harmless, someone else can get offended by it and this is certainly the case here. Let's be aware that our comments are being read by members, the general public and our Uncle Sam. All you have to do is look at the views at the top right corner. Going forward if we have the slightest inclination that what we are about to write might offend or be misconstrued, let's just share it in a personal d-mail with specific individual(s). Like the spoken word, the written word can NOT be taken back after it has been read. I try most of the time to preview my post before I send it.
Linda looking forward to a pic of you doing the happy dance when those beauties bloom in your garden.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry, thanks for that reminder.

Pawleys Island, SC

I have been one to go off topic. I guess it is just my way of getting to know you all.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from ibartoo :
Susan, I have a friend not far from Roanoke and some others in Norfolk. I know what you mean about the military towns. People are from everywhere.
Our taxes here are nuts too. They have now added hospitality taxes in addition to the regular tax. They find a way to tax everything.

Roanoke is a beautiful place. The President of the Daylily Society lives there, Julie Covington. She grows the most stunning daylilies I have ever seen. I will post her blog address when I get home. I just love to look at her pictures. Got to run!

edited to add link :)

http://juliecovingtonat.blogspot.com/2012/08/some-great-older-daylilies.html

This message was edited Mar 8, 2015 6:16 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.