What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, Your planting sounds Beautiful! I use Asyllum as a annual ground cover for color. I'm not able to grow Impatients due to my full sun they cook. All of my shade is spoken for already. I need to work on developing more shade in my yard.
I had never heard of Fatsia Japonica I had to look it up. Interesting looking plant I couldn't find pictures of it bloom. I'll dig further later to find some.
Your pansies should come back. I plant them in the Fall and they return in the Spring here in zone 6. It's the heat and humidity of summer that takes them out here. Well, they look ugly and I toss them which kills them.
Daylilies do great in pots. If you bought the bareroot in a bag, they probably will not be true yo name. Years ago, I use to buy daylilies this way. They never bloomed true to what they claimed to be. You'll probably end up with Frans Hal's or Cathrine Woodbury. It was always my experience. I hope your experience is different.
I buy almost all of daylilies off the Daylily Auction. The only other places I will buy daylilies is OakHill Garden and Maryott's. Bonnie Nichols at OakHill Gardens is a fantastic lady she is also on the Daylily Auction her user name is Bnich. Bill Maryott is a mountain of knowledge and very generous with bonus plants. Both send nice healthy plants that will always impress you.
I'm not buying any daylilies this year. I went flat out insane last year and planted over 125 daylilies. Lol I'm going to ground myself this year. I'm going to work on breeding daylilies this year instead of buying. I have bought companion plants. I just found FarawayFlowers on the LA and had to order some Lily bulbs. I wish I had bought more. I might be going back. Lol
I'll be back in a little bit.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

TD lol.. 5 i think hahah

Linda- Sorry to hear about the greenhouse :(

Mike- Thats a new one Iv never heard! Pretty

Karen must of bought more lol She never came back hahah

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I had 9 year old drama last night. Lol i went to bed after the theatrical display. Lol I told DH that I had already ordered my Valentines from FarawayFlowers. He took it pretty good. I ordered some more PopStar Lily Allen bulbs and a few others. I can't wait till April to get them. Ramona has the nicest Lily bulbs. I was so excited to see her selling again this year. She had said last year she might stop selling.

I started some Dutch Lily seeds last night. This will be my first time trying them.
More drama! I'll be back as soon as my child is off to school.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen I got lots of plants and still can't catch up to you!! Not in this lifetime anyway!!!
I have several volunteers of the Meadow Rue every year if you are interested. It's amazing how such a small flower just grabs you as you focus on the small flower, albeit hundreds of 'em.
I do have several types of hibiscus in the garden.
Karen how does one "ground" oneself?? We want to know. LOL!!
Are you trying to mislead us ????

Pawleys Island, SC

When the fatsia blooms, it is kind of like a white ball similar to a honey ball bush I guess. then the little ends turn black. Mostly it is the foliage that we grow it for. the blooms get to heavy for it and aren't real pretty.

As long as the daylilies bloom, I will be ok. I really hope I get some that are like the pics on the package though. I do love frans hals and catherine woodberry too, but I will have to check out some at the lily auction.

We plant our pansies here in late late fall and they bloom until spring when they get pulled out to may way for our other things. They bloom right through the winter though and it is nice to have flowers. The problem is living in a resort area is that they are very overused and you get sick of seeing them everywhere. I once planted 1500 flats on a golf course and trust me there is not a pansie in my yard. LOL. I did have to plant them for the neighbor though.

I tried breeding some daylilies 1 year, but I didn't stay focused long enough to see the results. ( ie I collected the seeds and watched them come up, but then tags were lost and who knows where they got planted or if they survived). I may try again.

Thanks for the sellers id's I will go check them out.

Pawleys Island, SC

That is a funny thought Mike, I can never do it. I tell myself I can't buy another 1 and then " ooh look a daylily " I don't have that one". LOL

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I have had no success with big box plants. Unless I see them blooming there I will not be tempted, again ever!!
ibartoo as Karen said hope you have 100% success with what you bought.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Lol I started Dutch Iris seeds. Not Dutch Lily seeds. I don't think there is a Dutch Lily. I must not have been fully awake. Lol

Mike, One grounds them self by looking at the insanity of the previous year. It helps bring things into perspective. Lol I'm still trying to update my spread sheet from last year's add on's. I'm hoping to be finished by Spring. I only have 80 something left to enter.
I have been doing really good. I have been on the LA and not bid on any daylilies. I did buy Lily bulbs from the LA. If I feel the need to buy a daylily, I can just tell myself BadCat is sending you some in the Spring. It will help the urge to subside. This is my plan anyway.
I would love some Meadow Rue babies. We'll call it a truce on who has more. I think you do! Lol

Linda, Can Fatsia be kept as a houseplant? It would never make through one of Ohio's winters. It is very interesting looking. I like it!
Keep us updated when your Daylilies bloom. if you want good Red Daylilies that won't break your budget look for Red Volunteer or SpiderMan or Baja. They hold their color all day just like Paron Me only their blooms are bigger. I have all 4 of them and love them all. I plan to use Spiderman this summer for breeding.
MorningStar is another good seller on the LA. She has great plants at cheap prices. I'm not sure if Bnich has any listings at this time. She will at some point before Spring if she doesn't at this time.
I have been experimenting with daylily seeds this winter. You can sprout them anyway you try it seems. Don't worry if you loose tags. Even the big hybridizer's loose tags from time to time. That's why there is so many unknowns in the Daylily lines. That and some don't care about keeping records. I don't worry about it because I don't plan to register any of my plants. I just like growing seeds. I'll try almost anything from seed as long as it's not a invasive species. i have learned my lesson. Lol Showy Primrose and Gooseneck Loosestrife taught me well. We won't even go into the Bishop's weed. Oh, the nightmares one can plant. Oh yeah, if anybody wants to give you loosestrife scream Hell No at them. I wish I had. Lol
I better get some work going today. Be back later today.

Pawleys Island, SC

Yes, fatsia can be kept as a house plant. It grows in the shade, so filtered light would be best for it. They can get quite large but they aren't particularly fast growing. I have a small 1, if you want to try it, I will put your name on it and send it when it is warm enough. You will have to remind me though, I am terrible at remembering things.
Send me a dmail with your address and I will add it to my to do list.

I am truly not too particular about plant names if I like the flower, I will buy the plant. I do like to know what they are because a lot of people like to have them when they trade. Sometimes I sell plants on ebay & etsy, but those are mostly epis and succulents and sometimes camellias and perennials.
I think I will plant these I bought in pots to see them bloom and then decide where to put them in the garden.

I think the pretties daylilies I bought last year or year before were wild horses and paper butterfly. They were blooming when I bought them though. Not in the bags. I have a few I was given from Roycroft ( the local breeder and nursery here) . As for reds, it doesn't matter. I like them all! I don't care as much for the doubles, but the ones with the ruffled edges are just so pretty.
Not to worry though, haven't met many I don't like.
Off to work in the greenhouse. I am potting up brugs and trimming epis today.
I will check in later.

Mike, I am always tempted! sometimes I can resist, sometimes resistance is futile. LOL

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have a Varigated Fatsia that I planted last year in the fall, and the deer promptly ate all the leaves off of it. The stem is still green, and I have been keeping my eye out for any sign of new leaves, so I can start spraying them right away. They are evergreen for us here, and make a beautiful statement in the shade with the large lobed leaves. Would add a picture, if there was anything to take a picture of. Maybe soon.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Love the foliage on the Fatsia.
Karen, you are right about morning_star on the LA. I got Spiderman from her in the fall of 2013 and it bloomed last season.
Vivid Heart is as red as it gets!!
Holly Dancer is a fav all over.
Redhill is a late bloomer.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Pawleys Island, SC

Oh man, those daylilies are gorgeous!
I love the variegated fatsia too. and the climbing ones. I don't have either of them, but it's ok. I have plenty of other things.
It's Mom's birthday today, so I am cooking for her and looking for her favorite plants. Daphne odora and hollyhocks. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. I am pretty sure I can get the Daphne at a local nursery and the hollyhocks at lowes, but I have to get moving early.

I think hyperion is my favorite yellow because it smells so good and Joylene Nicole is probably my favorite pink.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Pawleys Island, SC

Have a question:

What and how often should I feed my daylilies? I am planting them in very sandy soil.
Thanks

I use 8-24-24 in the spring, with a foliage spray in the late spring, and maybe a dose of fish emulsion later in the season. Not too much nitrogen, or you will get too much foliage and not as many flowers.

Concord, NC

I use Bone Meal and Espsoma Bulb tone together on my Iris and Daylilies. in the Spring 8 weeks before they bloom about first week of March.. and Fall..in like Mid October. Bone Meal and Espsoma Bulb tone with the benificial bacteria are not chemical fertilizers so they dont bleed out of soil fast with rain and wind as they break down slower so better for sandy soils and also provide calcium and phosphorus over a long period to make the plants harder and more disease resistent in the Hotter Southeast. 8-24-24 is Great but try to get it from a natural slow to break down animal products as opposed to chemical fertilizers which would be wasteful in sandy soil. 10-10-4 in Spring and 4-10-10 in Fall i believe is the requirement for Iris and so Also about the same for daylilies i would imagine and this is what i use on daylilies too along with my Iris with great results.

I can't use bone meal. 4 dogs, and there wouldn't be anything left of a daylily, or anything else. And, I would love to use it, because deer aren't supposed to like the smell.

Concord, NC

try the epsoma bulb tone very sparingly along with the chemical 8-24-24 your using as you are on the coast it is not as overpowering as the bone meal and if you used it sparingly on all plants watered in or spraying the 8-24-24 on top it would be benificial and dogs wouldn't run to a certain plant or area as it would be spread evenly over all of them, it cant be any more animal attracting than the fish emulsion you use which is also great. planting an actual fish under a perennial plant in the ground before filling it in with garden soil is great for phlox and salvias and cleome and old fashioned hollyhocks and things, if I lived on the coast i would do that as in the early 1960's my parents did that when i was in 6th grade at little house we moved into when my mom planted her perennials, as my dad used to go fishing in creeks and ponds and the hudson river and half the time my mom would refuse to clean his small mouth bass and sunfish and especially eels in her kitchen and so she would plant them in her garden as i described and it worked wonders.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

I just throw rabbit crap on mine... all that other stuff sounds way too involved for me

Pawleys Island, SC

rabbit crap, sounds like a good excuse for me to beg for an angora bunny. LOL, fish emulsion is a definite no no with 2 dogs and 2 cats, it would be all over my house. I will check into the espsoma bulb tone and others. If they got food last year at all, it was peters 20-20-20 used 1/2 strength, or the brug recipe. I wasn't real good about feeding things.

Concord, NC

lol! we have a chihuahua that's poops are not much bigger than that of a rabbit.. but they dont seem to help the daylilies much and to my sons dismay that where he usually tries to go is on my sons favorite daylily clumps bwahaha.. you should throw some alfalfa pellets and meal that rabbits eat on there too. ive never used them yet but i think IrisMA uses both alfalfa pellets and meal. Just think of the combo of both the rabbit poop and the alfalfa pellets OMG! those will be some Vigorous Plants! ;)

Pawleys Island, SC

I can hear hubby now when I tell him I want a rabbit again. We had 1 years ago ( it was kind of my son's) but nobody really spent enough time with him. I would love to have an angora rabbit for the fur I can spin into yarn.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I use alfalfa pellets and meal, along with milorganite. Some of the (special) to me plants get a little slow release Nutricote. Not to mention a top dressing of compost and worm castings in the spring. I am always trying different things in combination. I think is has something to do with variety. LOL!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Linda Do it!! Cant beat free fertilizer and yarn lol youll have to let us know how that convo goes with hubs :)

MikesMom..LOL!! Poor guy! I hate the smell of dog poop hahaha. Whatevers under the hutch and in the pans goes to the garden. Too much work to sort it lol Hay/Feed/ Crap. Veg/Flowers been doing great.

Mike I can picture you trying to decide on what to use.. "what crap will I use this year" hehehe sorry!

New DL companions born Fri

Thumbnail by badcat
Pawleys Island, SC

I will definitely have to go shopping for daylily food. Now is the time!
We have some warm days ahead, but still having cold nights.

Badcat what kind of babies are those? I see cute little rabbit ears........ I will have to wait until hubby is in a real good mood to ask for the bunny. LOL Or you will all hear his reply. He loves animals, but he is convinced that my plants and the dogs are the reason we don't travel anymore. LOL

I have decided to pot up my big box daylilies and see them bloom before I decide where to plant them in the garden. All of my daylilies are mixed, so it really doesn't matter, I just kind of want to see what I have now. You have all Piqued my curiousity.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Badcat, I thought you were sending me a few seeds, but when I open the package all I could say, quoting the late Cubs announcer Mr Harry Caray " HOLY COW"!!!
I mix all the feed ("crap") together to make a nice four course meal. LOL! When I expanded and added more beds in the recent past I got a large bag of Mycorrhizae Fungi for the initial plantings with good success.
ibartoo you can come and get this one free of charge.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, that is sweet of you. He's a cutie,here's a pic of more what I had in mind. LOL Hubby didn't answer, he just shook his head and laughed. I know what that means.

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

Also curious what you all use for tags with your daylilies. I have so many that don't have names anymore. As I said earlier, I don't really care about the names except for trading. But if I decide to cross some this year, I would like to know.

My dogs don't seem to have any problems with the fish emulsion, just bone meal. And milorganite, too. They will try to eat the milorganite.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

ibartoo, I have been converting all my name tags to the metal ones. For the seedling you can go the cheaper route by using blinds cut to the desired length. I find that the marker if facing the sun only last one season, but if you write on the back it should give you a longer life span. I bend mine into a "L" shape at the bottom so that the soil can hold it down. That was just a pic of a wild rabbit that believe it or not, came after me when I tried to round up her babies that scattered when I unknowingly watered the area where her nest was. I actually have a short home video of this.

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, I figured that 1 had invaded your garden. I have used the mini blinds for years. The problem is that I never keep them updated once they begin fading. I guess I would do much better with the metal tags. I saw some on ebay for about 14-16$ and I need to order some for my epies too.

I am going to stop by a garden center today and see what I can find for food for them. I think a lot of them are being crowded out by my shasta daisies, but I know it isn't time to move things around yet and I am just beginning to see daylilies coming up. I have a few evergreens, but most go dormant.

Maybe I should focus on cleaning out my beds and then feeding.

What is the name of that 1 in your profile pic?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

As far as fertilizer goes. I use compost and Chickity Doo Doo. I have used Epsoma products before with good results. Fish Emultion draws Racoons into my garden to dig. Since rabbitt's and chipmunks are already digging in my gardens, I don't need to attract anymore diggers. Unless, they learn to dig on my terms only. ;-)

Name tags there is a on going battle. Lol I have a variety of name tags. I have rocks and cut blinds and plastic and metal. None seem to last more than a year. My spreadsheet or my memory is more reliable for identification. Noids get garden names in my gardens. I name them after the people that gave them to me. I have a Mike growing in my garden. Mike sent me a seedling of his from A Look Here Mary cross so, I named it Look Here Mike. Lol I can't wait to see it bloom this summer.

Did you find your Mom hollyhocks and Daphne for her birthday?

When you can work your soil divide your Shasta Daisies. Daylilies are tough plants they will rebound in no time.
It was nice here this past weekend. I seen a few trespassers lurking in my shrub bed and yanked them out by their hair and tossed them in the trash. I'm sure their relatives will be lurking in the Spring for me to snatch. I'll be sure to show them the same hospitality. Unless anybody is in need of any weeds. Lol

I ordered another Louisiana Iris today. :-) I'll be back to confess further. I'm off to paint pet rocks.

Pawleys Island, SC

Thank you Badcat! What a surprise today. I appreciate it.

I will let you know what i decide to use. It depends on what I can find at the garden center here.

I did find Mom some hollyhocks. She decided she really didn't want another Daphne. We had a great day.
Thanks for the tips. it shouldn't be long before I can move the daisies. Our nighttime temps averaging in the 40's.

I like your idea of naming your noid garden plants. That would make it so much easier for me to remember too. I started calling my noid epies orphans.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen you better change that name. That's a Give Me Eight seedling. "Give Me Mike"- nah, your DH won't like that one. LOL!!!
Ibartoo my avatar is " King Of Camelot". Got it as a gift from the hybridizer himself. I plan to move it to a better spot for my viewing.

Pawleys Island, SC

It is beautiful, Mike. I was planning to work in the greenhouse today, but my neighbor of 25 years passed away over the weekend, so we will be attending the funeral.
It is grey and rainy, but not cold.
A lot of my seedlings are up which only makes me want to start more. I truly go nuts this time of year. LOL
I checked out the lily auction and quickly decided I need a job to support my habit. There are so many gorgeous daylilies there.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Linda

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I got my stuffed bag of Gompherea seed from BadCat. :-) Thank You! I have never had such a big bag of seed before. When you say your going to hook somebody up with seeds, You mean it! Lol I'll be having a lot of fun with these. The butterflies are going to be so happy! Mammoth Dill and Gompherea, host plants and food.

Mike, Lol! Thank You! I had wrote down the seedling was Look Here Mary x Beautiful Edgings
Was the seedling Beautiful Edgings x Give Me Eight? I had a good laugh at Give Me Mike. Lol I think that will be it's new name. DH will find it amusing, he knows we are all crazy. Well he knows I'm crazy, he has to live with me. ;-)

Linda, Glad you found your Mom some hollyhocks. I had to find my hollyhock seeds. Thinking I need to start a couple of them. I didn't grow any last year due to rust in my gardens, I ripped them and all the mallow out. Not sure if I want to replant Mallow or not. It tends to get a little weedy.

Your epie orphans need names. You could always give them Dr. Seuss names like The Spotted Attrocious or Sam I am. Lol

Us Northerners need to come camp at your place till May. Lol It's a big deal if we get up to 40 degrees during the day in Febuary. We don't even dream about night time temps being anywhere near that. :-) I tell my cold bones it's for the Peony blooms as I shiver and my teeth chatter. Lol

I better get something going. Hope everybody has a Great Day!

I ordered Bold Pretender Louisiana Iris and some bulk dried Lavender from The Vermont Wildflower Farm. I must confess I ordered without checking the garden watchdog. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Now, I'm too scared to look them up. Lol I figure you can't really mess up a LI root. I dug one for Mike back in September. Due to illness it never made it to Mike. It's still alive in my garage today. If it's still alive at the end of April I'll replant it when I dig Mike a fresh root. Giving all that I figure they should send me a viable root. Lol Guess I'll see in the Spring.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Your all Welcome! Enjoy! I got some catching up to do on here!!! lol

Pawleys Island, SC

Come right ahead! I could use the company. And the garden help. Plus I live at the beach. ( not sure how much gardening we would do when you see the south end of the island. ) LOL Our next 4 nights will be cold, but after that it should begin warming again.

I checked my seedlings today and I have more germinated than I thought. I don't know where I will put them when they all need to be potted up. Now that I have the initial planting done, I can wait to do the perennials that won't bloom until next year after it warms up.

badcat, is the gomphrena an annual? If so I will start it now. Thanks again.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, Oh, I wish I could run away to your house. I live on a street lined with cow pastures and corn fields. At this time of year the cut down corn fields are deer grazing grounds. Talk about a seneic view. Lol
We would get plenty of garden work finished. We could garden in the morning and go to the beach for lunch. Then head back to the gardens after dinner. I can dream, huh. ;-)
Gompherea is a annual. Here is a link with information on them.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode

It says in the link they have a low germination rate. I spread some seed pretty heavy and have it under the lights. It will be funny if even most of the seeds in the container germinate, I'll end up with a field of them. Lol
My Platycondon seedlings are sprouting after only a week. I thought it would take a lot longer. The cleome seeds I started are starting to sprout also. I started these a little early not sure why.

Pawleys Island, SC

It's because I got you going! LOL
I am planning to start my gomphrena tomorrow along with a few other seeds. I thought I might toss a few daylilies in a pot and just let them come up when they will rather than soaking and chilling. We still have about a month before our last frost, so I think they should be ok. Any ideas? Should I chill them first?
Thanks for the link, I will Look it up.
Does anyone wintersow?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You can put daylily seeds in soil and they will sprout. If you Nick the seed coat before putting them in the soil it will speed up germination. I have experimented with many ways to grow daylily seeds and they sprout just about any way you grow them. The only difference I have found is germination time.
Some daylily seeds need cold moist stratification and some don't. I have had pretty good luck getting daylily seeds to sprout without cold stratification. It seems the key is consistant moisture and light.

I keep trying to winter sow. My attempts are always ruined by wildlife. I need to get a big tote or something to protect my containers. I also need to get a cold frame built. I direct sow a lot of seeds into my gardens in the Fall. I planted Peony and Louisiana Iris and daylily and Baptisia and Siberian Iris seeds this Fall directly into my garden. My bee's are good to me and create me a lot of seeds. :-) I hate to waste their hard work. Lol
I better get to bed. See Ya in the morning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.