What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Got yalls seeds drying on a cooking sheet atm!!! Love all the pics posted!!! :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen in regards to your offer "WORD"! LOL!!
Love all the combination above. Pop Star is a looker.
Happytail, love that Pineapple in the background in the last posted pic. I plant mine near the back door where I can see them close up.
Persian Shield is a winner anywhere it's planted. I am always asked, " what is that plant". Anyone have a better source for them other than Select Seeds? That's where I am going to order mine from within the next couple weeks before they are sold out. I look in the local nursery around here a can't find it. I guess they are behind the times. LOL! I must add that I have had good success with the plants from Select Seeds.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The rabbits had a field day with the delphs last season. Normally they don't mess with establish plants but, that wasn't the case last year. My go to place for them is with Amanda and Mark @
http://www.gracefulgardens.com/delphiniums
Everyone else is selling one plant for at least $7.99 and above. The newer hybrids are said to be more hardy.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

BadCat, I can't wait!

Mike, Got Ya! I'll add it to my list for you this Spring. Your pictures are Beautiful!
I get my Persian Shield from the Cincinnati Zoo. I take a container class there each Spring. Your allowed to choose from several types of plants. I always overcrowd my container with Persian Shield then transfer when I get home.

Your bad Mike! I might have to order some Delph's to try again. Trying to pick which one will be the biggest problem. I want them all! I'll send you pictures of their melting corpses if it doesn't work out. lol

I must confess. I ordered some Sunglow Crocosmia and some Louisiana Iris Laura Louise and Gulls Wing SIberian Iris. I have wanted a white SI to go with my Blackgamecock. I'll get a yellow SI next year to go with them. I had to get more Louisiana Iris because it's my becoming my favorite type of Iris. I bought Aunt Shirly and Jack Attack and This I Love last year. I can't wait for them to bloom. :-)

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, talk to me in about another month and I can send you some cuttings from my persian shield. I overwintered it in a cold frame and it looks a little stressed right now, but in another month it will be full and pretty again.
The cuttings root very quick and easily.

I am drooling over your delphs. I always want to grow things that just struggle here. ( ie things too tropical for my zone, or that need more cold that we get. ) LOL you would think I could be satisfied with the variety I have...........

I checked some of my beds and a few daylilies are beginning to show their faces. I can't wait until blooming season.

I have some seeds I think I will start in the fridge today. I know I can get by with that.......

Does anyone grow their iris from seed?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have grown Louisiana Iris from seed successfully. I'm trying TB Iris and SIberian Iris this winter, I'll let you know how it goes.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ibartoo, Blomma is the iris lady as far hybridizing and seeds are concern. I would like to try and. Over winter some Persian Shield. I am going to take you up on that offer. We could do a trade or I can send moola. LOL!

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, I have talked to Blomma many times about daylilies, I will be sure to ask her about the iris. I have never really tried to grow them from seeds, and when I have planted the bulbs for siberian iris, they have never returned for a 2nd season.Also, please remind me about the persian shield, somewhere around March. I will never remember. I just checked the greenhouse and some of the cuttings that I rooted didn't withstand the neglect I subjected them too after potting them up. Thankfully the plants in the coldframe ( left to their own devises) have fared better.

Taylordaylily, Please let me know what works for you. I would love to try some. I do not have enough moisture for the Louisianna iris, but I know the siberians will grow for me. My bearded iris do well and usually start blooming around april.

I visited my brother yesterday. This is the first time he has ever tried to garden and he has all types of little plants already coming up. I have to say I was a little envious, but I haven't started mine yet, so seeing his convinced me that today was the day. Cold or not, I will get my seeds going.

I will let you know what I plant.
I am soaking daylily seeds 1st! LOL

space in the greenhouse right now is like premium real estate but I really need to get things going. Something is going to have to move! It is still a little cold out, but now I can start soaking things........
Off to work. Hope everyone's day is Awesome.

Linda

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

mmm anyone else want any gomphrena seed???? Im floating in it atm =o enough for another big bag or 2

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Ibartoo, This is my first year trying TB Iris seeds. I have been following Blomma's advice on them. I'll try to find it and Dmail it to you if she hasn't already helped you. Blomma has made some beautiful TB seedlings.
Siberian Iris and Louisiana Iris seeds I direct sow into my garden in the Fall. I attempt to mark their locations but a chipmunk thinks the plant markers are for him to play with. LI seeds must be sown as soon as they ripen or it sets them back and germination decreases. LI seeds look the strangest of all seeds I have ever seen. SI seeds are the smallest of Iris seeds I have seen.
Have you tried Louisiana Iris before? I could send you some in the Spring. They don't need any more moisture than daylilies. I have read they need really moist soil. It's not my experience. The only thing with LI is their rhizome needs to be covered with soil to protect it from sunburn. I plant mine with about 1/4 " of soil covering the rhizome. They don't rot like TB Iris will and they bloom later in Spring.
You'll have daylily seedlings soon. Daylilies are easy to grow from seed. I have been experimenting with different ways to grow them. Everything I try produces seedlings. It seems they grow as long as you give them soil, water and light. You can't really go wrong as long as you have viable seed. You'll be a proud mama showing us your seedlings next year. :-) We love to share our babies with each other. One thing with daylily seedlings. The first year bloom might be uglier than what it will look like by the third year. Some of them seem to have a gawky stage at first.

What types of seeds are you growing besides daylilies? I love growing anything from seed. I planted LI seeds and Peony and some daylily seeds this Fall directly into my gardens. I scattered some Liaris Ligulistylis into my gardens also.
Peony takes forever from seed. I hope to see something from the seeds planted in 2012 this Spring. I checked last year and they had a root forming really nice they just didn't put up foliage. Hope it doesn't take till retirement age to see them bloom. Lol

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I love Louisiana Iris! We can't really do Siberian or bearded, I assumed because of lack of cold. But my Louisiana Iris are wonderful.

Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happytail, Your Louisiana Iris is beautiful! Do you know the name of it?
Your correct on why SIberian and TB's don't do well for you. I think zone 8 is the highest zone for either of them. You get to grow that beautiful plants that us colder zone people can't. That is part of the beauty of DG. We can all share our pretty blooms and live vicariously through each other's bloom pictures.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Most likely I've tried just about every plant named to go with my daylilies. Coreopsis Zagreb is probably my favorite of all since it doesn't try to upstage the daylilies.

Our Louisiana irises do exceptionally well here as do Japanese, tall bearded, etc.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Pawleys Island, SC

I agree. Those pics are making me drool. I can't wait until things start growing again. Some of my early camellias are blooming now, but those are the only colorful things in the garden.

I would love to try some of the Louisianna iris. If you have seeds I can trade something for them.

it is funny though, even though I push the boundaries of what will grow here and what will thrive, I still love the things I can't grow. Isn't that always the way it goes.

Those corepsis zagreb are really pretty. I haven't ever grown those either.

If I were younger and had the time and energy to dig, I'd send you a box of mixed LA's for postage but that's not the case. I did move many from one garden protected from the deer but the deer found them by December and keep pulling out entire plants. The snow will keep them damp but it's annoying to replant constantly when we don't have snow cover.

The problem with them is they spread too much and too fast for me. That ends up mixing the varieties, which isn't desirable.

Zagreb makes a nice background but never tries to steal the show. Here it is with the Pseudata Shiryukyo and salvia Caradonna.

The only color in our gardens now is white with more white expected tonight.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Pirl, It's good to see you! I agree with Linda, your pictures are making me drool. BEAUTIFUL!
I bought my first and only Japanese Iris late summer last year. I hope I made it a good home and it thrives for me. They are the prettiest Iris, I think. I have always been nervous about trying them, scared I would kill them. I got brave finally and will see this Spring if it's happy.
I love how Coriopsis bloom their hearts out all season. I have a couple patches of Zagreb. I have a patch of Zagreb on my slope with Walkers Low catmint and they Blend into each other and look great. I like Creme Brûlée Coriopsis too. It's a paler yellow and shorter. Deer love the Creme Brûlée also. They give it a haircut everyyear. lol The Pink one ( sorry I can't think of the name) never over winters here. I wish it would, I like the soft pink flowers. I haven't tried any of the newer Coriopsis yet.

Linda, I don't have any seed. I plant it as soon as the pod ripens. I can send you some rhizome in the spring. The bees will probably pollinate it for you and give you seeds every year. They do me. We'll talk more later. My son is kicking me off the IPad. Lol I'll be back later. :-)

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Y'all been busy, I'll play catch up Lol

Have an extra bag of seeds, any one want?

I love coreopsis! One of my favorites! And the deer don't seem to bother my Louisiana iris, but Roxy did chew up every single new tuber I planted in the back yard last year. I kept finding little gobs of chewed up stuff, and then finally caught her with the last one. I did save it, and it looks great this year, but it is planted OUTSIDE the fence where she can't get to it. I will have to link for the name of that one. Don't remember off the top of my head.

Pawleys Island, SC

Badcat, if you don't have me on that list, I would love to have some.
Thanks, Linda

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Girl I Gotcha!!! and if no one wants them, im dumping the extra seeds in yalls bags heheh

Thanks!

The JI's are so lovely and not hard to raise if you have normal (not sandy) soil.

I tried some other "perennial" coreopsis that never returned so now I'm content (lazy) and am content with three fairly large patches of Zagreb. The deer never touch my irises or the coreopsis when they're in bloom, only the LA irises as they're trying to find something to eat in winter but they do not eat them! They just rip them from the good earth, find out they don't want them and leave them on the grass.

I do spray deer repellant (Bobbex) regularly, and that does help. I have several coreopsis, Jethro Tull, Sunshine Superman, Limerock Ruby, Creme Brûlée, Early Sunrise, and another pink I can't remember the name of.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Linda and Arlene, thanks for sharing those lovely pics. Linda I am going to log that reminder on my phone for the middle of March. Badcat what's the color of the gomphrena flower?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

"Purple pinball", pm your addy and Ill send a bag lol. Heading to Pre-K this morning and Ill package up

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happytail, You apparently didn't get Roxy's approval before planting. lol Roxy is cute enough she knows you won't be able to stay mad at that cute little face. My male dog use to do rearranging when he was younger. Now, he leaves everything alone. There is hope for your gardens in the future. If only we could train them to dig out planting holes and nothing more.

Pirl, I agree with you 100% about LI spreading. I must confess that is part of what I like about them. I'm sure in future years I will feel diferently about their spreading. I change my mind about things in my gardens all the time.

BadCat, You can send all the seeds you want. I'm sure others will want some. Who wouldn't!

Linda, Your just like the rest of us. We all want what we can't grow. Lol I have hardly any shade. I love shade plants and I'm always trying to push the limits of how much sun they can take. I have scorched a few hosta's and fern's doing this. I try pushing zones a lot too. It makes gardening more adventurous and fun.

Mike, Badcat's Gomphrena is purple. You want some seed? Come on, you know you do. :-)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I will try some.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I knew you would. :-)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Encourager!!!

Pawleys Island, SC

I am finding I have more shade than sun these days. When we cleared our lot, I cried over every tree we had to cut and DH realized that there was no way he could live with me if he cut too many. So I left about 30 or 40 oaks that at the time were small. Some were live oaks and some red oaks and some other varieties, but the only ones he won the arguments on were the pines and those only because of the hurricanes.
Now some 25 years later, the oaks have become really big and the shade areas have taken over. I do have some sunny areas, but I need to get better about growing things that thrive in the shade.
I am finding if I have a sunny spot, it is too full and if I have a shady spot, it is almost bare. Yes it is the wanting what we can't have syndrome. LOL

Some of my daylillies are coming up! The southern groundhog predicted an early spring for us, so I am excited to see them popping up. It has been a very warm winter on the coast so far. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Hope everyone has a great day. I will check in later.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, That's what gardening friends are for. A little enabling, a little encouraging is what it's all about.

Linda, It's a shame I can't share some of my full sun with you, and you share your shade with me. I love Bleeding Hearts and Plumonaria and Heuchera and Japenese Ferns. Really I could go on all day listing my favorite shade plants. You can grow some full sun plants in part shade.
Sorry my experience is pushing shade plants into sun. I can tell you I have some Liatris spicata in shade and it still blooms beautifully every year.
I'll be back in a little bit. It's time for the homework wars to begin. Lol

Pawleys Island, SC

Oh, I remember homework wars! I won't say I miss those days, but sometimes I do miss the family reading nights we had after the homework was done. LOL

I am planning to plant more variety in my shade this year. I also plant a neighbors garden and she has mostly shade, so I will be looking for a lot of shade lovers.

I went to feed what was in my cold frame today and found a tear in the roof .Some branches had fallen on it and I guess the winds have just stressed it. I have lost about 3/4 of what I was overwintering, but will be able to salvage some. It was a big disappointment, but I should have kept a closer eye on it. Hubby promised to help me replace the plastic tomorrow. It will be great if we can cover it and I can still use the space.

It's a shame my daylily plants won't grow in the shade.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

ibartoo, can you grow hostas, Pestasites Japonicus Varigated, Lily Of The Valley, Toad Lily, Jack Frost Brunnera in your zone? If so I could send you a box. I know the "American Daylily", aka Ditch Lily grows in the shade and bloom because I have a clump on the north side of the house. Either way you have nothing to loose.
Sorry about the damage to the cold frame. DH will have it up and running in no time.
Karen I love you tooooooo! LOL!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

ibartoo, add Lady's Mantle to the list.

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, I know I can grow hostas and lily of the valley. I have 1 toad lily that struggles, but the others I will have to google. I do have 1 ditch lily that grows around a live oak but it struggles too. It blooms about every other year, but never thrives or multiplies. I will look into the other things. Thanks for the offer. I can send some hardy hibiscus in exchange. I think they will survive your cold.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Ibartoo, I grow monarda in full shade lol. There are tons of colored Coral Bells now, I love em hehe. Japanese Painted Ferns add color as well. Trying to think of what else I planted in the front..

Pawleys Island, SC

I love the painted ferns. I never thought of monarda in shade. You all are giving me wonderful ideas. I will start planning my beds now. Thanks to you all.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Bear Britches, Astilbe, Dianthus, Columbine, Phlox, Daisies, Solomons Seal (sp?), Iris are all out front

Im missing some maps lol..There are DLs in part shade.. Try anything lol Sometimes it works

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is a good companion.
Sparkle Meadow Rue

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

BadCat, You only planted a couple things last year. Didn't you? Lol If you don't find your garden maps just make new ones in the Spring as stuff comes up.
Nice list you made. I forgot some of my Columbine is in partial shade and blooms great. I agree with trying anything when gardening, if it doesn't work you can always take measures to fix it or just let death occur. I have been guilty of both. :-)

Linda, Sorry to hear about your cold frame. Don't be hard on yourself, things like this happen. What plants did you loose? Maybe we can help you recover some losses.
Mike has some lovely red Hardy hibiscus. I'm not sure if he has other colors or not. There is not many plants that Mike doesn't have. He's a plantaholoic. Lol
Can't wait to hear about your garden plans. It's so much fun planning and planting.

Mike, :-) I like the Meadow Rue. Your enabling. Lol

Pawleys Island, SC

I don't think any of you can grow it ( except as a houseplant) but 1 of my prettiest designs when I landscaped a local beachfront hotel was to use fatsia japonica, asparagus fern, pink impatiens, pink splash hypoestes and sweet white alyssum. It was a really pretty airy and fragrant design. I planted it under a portico where it was protected from the salt spray. I am thinking of using it again this year. Here everything is perennial except the impatiens and alyssum. It was easy to plant pansies ( our winter go to plant) around in the fall so I didn't have to take it all up. The fatsias are evergreen here and the asparagus fern are green until it freezes in late January. It was a long time ago, so I don't know if I have a pic but if I can find 1 I will post it.

The plants I lost were big plumeria, a few passies,( that may come back) zygos and some epis. The plumies were actually only there because they didn't fit in the greenhouse and I thought the cold frame would be enough to keep them from freezing. I didn't remember leaving the zygos and epis there. The others I am not so worried about. There were a lot of combo pots, but most of what was in them was a marginallly perennial focal plant surrounded by annuals or tender vines.
Hubby wasn't up to fixing the plastic today, so I threw an old blanket over everything that was left and if it doesn't survive, it will be compost. It isn't like I can't or won't grow them all again. ( his words and I have to admit he is right.)
He was really nice though, he didn't whine when I bought some new daylilies at the big box store today. He let me choose all I wanted. It is a little too cold to set them out yet, but I was planning to pot them up until I make a new daylily bed anyway. I just didn't tell him what I had planned.
I chose: Dream Legacy, Little Missy, El Desperado, Final Touch, Blackberries and Cream, Pardon Me and strawberry fields forever.

You are all so sweet to offer me plants. What can I send to you? It will be a while I am sure, but by the time you get past your freezes I will have a really good selection. ( I don't mean that sarcastically either).
Anway, now i am rambling.
I will check in later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.