What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

"Grateful for the snack'! LOL! Karen your DH was testing you and you failed

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Maryotts have some great deals going on right now

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh Hazel, your being an instigator again lol

Linda Im sorry!!! completely missed the Anniversary :( Happy Late Anniversary!
Woot Cant wait to see what they do!! :)
I hate squirrels, the last draw was them eating my Turks Caps I was growing from seed. So I got a bb gun lol.

Karen, what did you get? Sorry you got me giggling now thinking about the paraplegic squirrel.
PS Karma got me for the washing machine incident you had! The next day I washed one the the kids pillows and the stuffing exploded in the washer. Its been fun lol

Not been doing a lot of plant shopping, just been a bit preoccupied lately..

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

More instigation!!
ensata.com
http://ensata.com/Japanese/KimonoSilk550.JPG

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, that iris is gorgeous! I checked out Maryotts garden today. Oh wow do they have some pretty things. I will definitely be ordering some soon . I saw quite a few and thought, Oh, I need that one and that one and maybe you shouldn't have told me about them. LOL

Had a job interview today. Should hear from them by tuesday or wednesday. They offered me a position in floral dept, ( right up my alley) so now it is just a matter of clearing the background check and drug tests. I am excited. I haven't worked ( except for my gardening job) since this time last year,because hubby was so sick and now I am ready to get busy again.

Not much going on. It is warmer today, but a little rainy. I love the rain, so I don't mind. I am just enjoying the day.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, Congratulations! What a perfect job for you. You'll get paid for playing and having fun. Keep us updated. Can't wait to hear about your first day at work. Hope your DH is feeling better. It's hard to watch a loved one be sick. It leaves you feeling helpless.
Beware, Maryott's shipping is costly. But, Bill makes up for it with mega bonus plants. One time I only ordered 4 plants and he sent me 4 bonus plants and one of them was a new introduction that cost one hundred dollars. You can pick out your bonus plants and he will honor your request. Bill is a very kind and helpful man.
Another great daylily source is Wynn's Daylily Garden. They are in Florida, I believe. It's a family run company. I have ordered from them the past couple years and have always been 100% happy. Their daughter Jessica is always very helpful if you have questions.

My DH doesn't loose his mind very often. Lol He's normally fussing about my plant spending. I tend to be a obsessive plant collector at times. :-)

I use to battle squirrels at my feeders. They tore up several a year. Then I started to feed them corn at the back of the property away from my feeders. There is one squirrel that attacks my suet feeder at least once a week. Other than that one the rest of them behave their selves. I have rabbitt's that eat from my garden but, I have planted big enough gardens at this point the rabbitt's don't cause me many problems anymore. I fill their nest holes with compost after everybody leaves home. It's a reward to the daylily for having a hole dug next to it's roots for several weeks. I'm a animal lover and find a soft spot for most wildlife. Chipmunks, well that is a different story. Those little varmints came straight from Hell. I know they did, they had to of. Lol

BadCat, Welcome back! This time next week, you'll be Queen! Oh, The fun I'm going to have during your reign.
I haven't got anything yet. I have 3 more days till bidding is over. I don't want to jinx them. Lol I'm sure I won't get a free pass again anytime soon.
I have had the pillow mess before. I bought some all cotton pillow cases and sewed a zipper at the open end. I now wash pillows in those cases. I'll make you a couple if you want. I use them for stuffed animals also. If only I had put my pants in one of them or maybe checked the pockets. Lol

Mike, I cleaned up at Maryott's last summer. He marked a lot down to $7.00 and I had fun. Lol
I ordered the following
Entwined In The Vine
Silver Moon Sparkle
Song Writer
Chasing Venus
Mexicali Blues
Sailing At Dawn
Red Sails At Night
Subtle Knife
Suddenly Blue
Lava Flow
Spanish Conquest

Bonus Plants
Parrots Of The Caribbean
Mexican Fiesta
Shelby
Splendida

See, I told you! It took me all day to plant all of them. I realized that day just how darn CRAZY I am. Lol This year is the year of companion plants. I already have a Prairie Moon order and a Vermont Wildflower order. Then there is my FarawayFlowers order. See the madness is starting already. Oh, my! I'm the crazy plant lady. Lol
I bought my first Japenese Iris last year. I'll wait and see if it likes my garden before buying anymore. I love them but, my soil is neutral to alkaline. I understand they like acidic soil so we'll see how it goes. I gave it a pine bark mulch and some coffee grounds hoping to make it happy. I love Iris of all types.
Now that I have created a sequel to my first book. Lol I better get off here and do something.

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks Karen. I am looking forward to the job.
The daylily sites you all are mentioning are making me drool. I think it was a great time to get a new job. LOL I can see where my money will be going for a while.

The daylilies I have now have all been from the bags or big box stores. I do have some pretty ones, but nothing like I have seen on the websites! Heaven help me, when I get to order! LOL

I have very acidic soil. Live Oak leaves add tons of acid. I can send bushels, but you would hate me. I am going to look up the ones you bought last year and see your pretties.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, We all have or had the big box bag daylilies. It's the first steps towards addiction. Lol
You don't have to spend a fortune to get beautiful daylilies. There are many great daylilies for between 5 and 10 dollars. You need to start cheaper because as your addiction grows you find ways to justify more pricey daylilies. If you start with expensive daylilies you'll go broke fast.
Here are some of my favorites.
Picture 1 Free Wheelin
Picture 2 Mr.B this daylily was given to me by a friend and is named after her fur baby. I don't really care what cultivar it is. It's Mr. B to me. Lol
Picture 3 Purple Maze
Picture 4 Christopher Moody
Picture 5 Sambo Wilder

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Badcat, if you have any of the gomphrena seeds left I would like some. Just let me know.

We have about 18 inches of snow on the ground from the storm Monday and then yesterday. I am so ready for spring. I was going to start some seeds this weekend but was unable to get to the store for soil.

Kathy

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol...Justify... Anniversary, Birthdays...Presidents Day, Just Because Day... hahah

Linda post Pics of them when they bloom, I had bought a Final Touch last year and it was ID'd Frans Hal. I Scored Dare to Love at Lowes last year for $6, It was blooming so easy to tell it was what it said :)

Thumbnail by badcat
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Np Kathy! Theyre under snow at the moment lol. I should be able to get to them this week and get em dried for ya. Theres tons out there yet. Karen was saying something about starting them, needs warm soil? Idk maybe she can clue us in lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy, Badcat sent me a BIG bag of those seeds. I could send you some of mine if you don't want to wait.
Sequel indeed!! LOL!
Linda the mentioned sites were given to strengthen your will power. Hehe! Not for you to cave in. Good luck on the new job and DH improved health.
Karen, I have never ordered from Maryott's. You got a nice bunch last year. Free Wheelin is a fav here. Always admired CM. Lovely pics.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is what I have heard about Gompherea seed germination. You need to soak the seeds overnight before planting. They germinate better with a heat mat. I have not tried a heat mat and none of mine have germinated yet. I'm going to dip into my tiny stash ( lol) and try some more using a heat mat.

Kathy, Good to see you! BadCat will send you a sandwich bag stuffed with seeds. It'll only last you 10 years. Lol

Mike, You would love Bill. you never have to worry about rust coming from his garden either. His plants are huge and healthy. This is what my last order from him looked like. He also has BOGO sales all the time. I love those! :-)

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Whoever would be willing to send would be ok with me. I would pay postage. Just ready to start something, am so tired of looking at snow. LOL Kathy

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike, I am summoning all the will power I can find! LOL. I love them and I love all the pics. I finally reloaded some of my pics from the past couple of years. I found pictures of a lot I didn't remember having and while looking for signs of life in the garden today, I spied a few tags close to some that I could still read. It is just a waiting game to see what blooms this year.

Karen, I didn't mean to sound disappointed in my daylilies at all. I love the ones I have. Looking at some of these on those links ( and the prices) have shown me that I love the ones I have even more. LOL

I love that free wheelin picture and the sambo wilder. I think the Christopher moody daylily looks a lot like my wild horses.

Badcat, that dare to love is pretty too. I like to get them at Lowes and sometimes Home Depot because I can see the blooms and the tags at the same time.

I think it was at lowes that I found wild horses and paper butterflies.

Here's a pic of the stella d oro planted with the blue spiderwort I told you about.

Pawleys Island, SC

OOps, I forgot the pic. These were planted at the edge of a small lake, so both the daylily plants and the spiderwort thrived. They bloomed like this from very early spring almost until it froze.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2015 2:58 PM

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

Here are a few of my favorites over the past 2 years.

Hyperion, because it smells so good.
Wild horses
Kwanzo ( probably because I could never have orange as a kid. LOL)
Daring Deception ( I think)
Darius ( again I think that is the name of it, but i could be very wrong.)

Thumbnail by ibartoo Thumbnail by ibartoo Thumbnail by ibartoo Thumbnail by ibartoo Thumbnail by ibartoo
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, Christopher Moody is a larger more round bloom than Wild Horses. They do have close to the same colors. I have Wild Horses also and love it. I have many that are the same color as those two. Orchid Candy and Moonlight Masquerade and Blueberry Candy come to mind.

You have some great daylilies.
I have Kwanso too. I'll always have some. I just keep mine out of my garden beds. It's planted with it's cousin the common ditchlily. I like Kwanso a lot better. It's a shame it's such a thug and has to be banned from the garden. I like orange daylilies. I have several of them. Pictured below is a cute Orange daylily. Justin George. It was sent to me as a bonus plant last year. I didn't think I would like it due to it's tiny bloom. However, I love it. It's such a bright cheery bloom. I tried to give it away and Thank Goodness nobody wanted it. Lol It was planted In the Spring and gave me three series of blooms last year. That's unusual for a newly planted daylily, at least for me anyway. I'm going to move it to a better home this spring. I'm going to plant it by my Sunny Knock Out Rose. Brighten that pathetic Rose bush up. I thought Knock Out's were suppose to be trouble free. Mine is nothing but trouble and looks a hot mess. My Hybrid Tea Roses look great and never give me a problem. i'm done ranting. Sorry!
Well, I got out bid on one so far on the LA. So, I bid on another. Lol
I'll be back later to report how tonight's bidding ends up. :-)

Love your daylily and spiderwort. I like spiderwort even if the faded flowers are so gross.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Lol Kathy, Ill go out today and get ya a fat sack. I may start some as well to see if they will germinate.

Karen ...next time Im going to send you a baggy with 1 seed in it hehehe

Linda Love that combo with spiderwort!

I have a bucket of coleus growing lol when can you tell their colors? 1st set of leaves? It was a mixed pack

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

BadCat, Lol What seed are you sending me?

I found a article in a gardening book last night about growing Gompherea. It said to soak the seeds for three to four days before planting. The seeds need at a temp of 70 to 75 degrees to germinate. They recommended waiting and sowing them outside after danger of frost has passed.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to school my son goes. Mom is going to have Peace today! :-)

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Idk yet..but I wont label it either lol =P

Lucky duck, Colton doesnt have school today...after yesterday Im not looking forward to today haha

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Lol :-)
Sorry, Mama! But, after a whole week of school being closed. I earned this day! If only DH wasn't working from home.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Guess were both hanging out with 1 kid today LOL

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, We are! At least yours takes naps. Mine just nags. Lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You ladies are something else.
Karen you forgot to post your pic of Justin George.
Linda nice pics. I guess you are calling the first pic Daring Deception? If so I don't believe it's DD. Don't know what it is but it is a pretty flower
Justin George
Daring Deception

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, I m TELLING!!! I am bribable (new word). LOL!

Pawleys Island, SC

Mike you are right, I looked the daylily up and now I think it is "forgotten dreams". I could still be very wrong. LOL Whatever it's name is, I like it.

I never thought of Kwanzo as a thug. I guess because I never bothered to feed much more than miracle grow or peters once in a while, they haven't ever spread much.
My soil is like beach sand and very acidic, so I guess if I want them to multiply, I should plant them in pots of good stuff and then sink the pots and then give them a good meal.

Justin george is a cutie too. I also love eenie weenie. I don't know why, but it just makes me happy when I see that little tiny plant flower.

I am working in the greenhouse a little today. Those "bigfooted" boys have knocked over some the daylilies I had potted up. So I am going to repot them and possibly put them outside.

Have fun everyone!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I never even noticed it didn't load Justin George's picture. I'll try again. Found a couple more favorites looking for Justin George. Get ready to stand on your head. Lol I don't know why they do that. I tried to turn them but they go back. So, just get the blood flowing and stand on your head to view. :-)
Picture 1 Justin George
Picture 2 Puzzling Prize another fabulous red daylily.
Picture 3 Mulan with Pop Star Lily Allen behind it.

Mike, We know your bribable. Aren't we all. :-) What are you telling on me for? I'll blame it on the dog whatever it is. My dogs are great for taking the blame. They never say a word. Lol if that doesn't work then I'll say you made me do it what ever it is. Hehehe!

Linda, You can check your daylily here.
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/
I'm not familar with Forgotten Dreams. But, I don't think that is it either by the picture the AHS has of Forgotten Dreams. It's pretty. if you know how tall the bloom scapes are and how big the bloom is we could do a Advanced search on the AHS website. It also helps to know the bloom season. Early, Mid, mid-late, ect... If nothing else we can figure it out when it blooms this year. Was your picture taken in the morning or afternoon? If it was in the afternoon some fading might have taken place and that could alter it's appearance. Your soil being acidic can change the color of the bloom also. Daylilies are funny that way. When you look at Maryott's website. You'll find in his listings some daylilies will have more than one picture showing how different some daylilies can look just being in different parts of our country. I forget it's name but, he has one that is very different if grown in California versus growing in Floridia.

I better get to work.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Pawleys Island, SC

If it isn't either of those, I don't have a clue what it might be. It is pretty though so I don't care what it's called.That picture was taken sometime in the last 2 years, so I don't know which part of the day. I will look at some of the others.
It wasn't eenie weenie that I meant to say made me so happy as much as eenie allegro.

I am going to check out daylilies.org. It is raining harder now so I can spend time reading. I should probably do housework first but where's the fun in that.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, I agree, it is a beautiful daylily. We'll try to figure out who it is when it blooms this year. It's easier when you have the actual bloom. If we never find it's name you can always give it a garden name.

Your housework will always wait on you. If only little elves would come along and help out sometimes we could have more play time. I cleaned and then I made a big mess potting up seedlings. Now I get to scrub the kitchen floor. But, I have 26 happier seedlings. :-) Scrubbing the floor is a small price to pay.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen next time use a small tarp that you can take outside and shake off.
Yea Linda "what's the fun in that". LOL !
This morning I initially thought it looked like Forgotten Dreams. Then I looked at mine and didn't see the similarities. Time of day pic might have something to do with it. I will post some pics soon.

Pawleys Island, SC

Hubby hates for me to pot up things in the house, but I get by with it now and then. Of course I have spinal issues which means he has to clean the floors, but I try not to make a mess. I got most of my housework done last night, so I can play today. Hubby took off for Florida yesterday with his brother and since my son had friends over, I had time on my hands. You would think I would do something besides housework right.

Karen, I think the little elves were taken captive by the dust bunnies and once they escaped, they never returned. LOL

My weather caught me by surprise last night. We were supposed to get ice and freezing rain, and I was clueless.We didn't get the ice or freezing rain they expected. There is a little bit of ice on my windshield, but nothing the defroster wouldn't take care of. I just can't believe I didn't expect it. I almost thought I might have snow pics for you all. LOL (Like you would want to see it.) It just happens so rarely here.

This kids had a field day in the greenhouse last night and as a result, I will be starting several types of seedlings again and they knocked the top out of 1 of my brug babies and a couple of epies I had rooting came out of their pots. Needless to say, greenhouse is off limits now. I could have shot them when I saw the mess it was in. I told my son they can pic up all the sticks in the yard and build a bonfire when it dries out.

I started some hyperion seeds and a few open pollinated daylily seeds and they are beginning to come up. Yay, I can watch these till they bloom.
Most of the seeds I crossed last year, I tried to pollinate to themselves. I hope it worked.

Maybe you all can help with this. Will all daylilies cross pollinate? Also does the pod parent come first, or the pollen parent and does that matter? In the past when I tried to cross them, I just pollinated them willy nilly and then collected the seeds. I would like to actually see if I can make specific crosses and follow them till the seedlings bloom.

Hope you all have a fabulous day. I will check in again later.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Linda the pod comes first. All crosses will not produce a pod. Some plants are not pod and/or pollen fertile. The hot temps have a lot to do with it also. For the most part you will end up with a lot of seeds. You will be able to see which is which as you go.

Concord, NC

I cant find any Giant Rose Cleome plants in my area the last several years..weve tried to start some from seeds and not any success. we can find the Purple Cleome here no problem and the Rose Queen which is light pink and white..but not any Giant Rose Cleome that gets like 5-6ft tall. if anyone has some this early summer please let me know if you would ship a baby plant or two to me for trade of something or for postage.

Pawleys Island, SC

MikesMom, I haven't ever seen the cleome plants. I have always started mine from seed. If I see some, or can find some seeds for it, I will let you know.

Cold rain here today, but my nightime temps are going back to the 40's this week. I can actually put the plants outside for a little while and let them get fresh air.

Still waiting on a call to start my new job, but I got some projects finished yesterday that I have put off for a long time. The thought of going to work put an end to my procrastination ( thank heavens) and the house was quiet so I got a lot done. Started some more mixed daylily seeds too. Oh my, I will have daylilies everywhere!

Gotta get busy,
Hope everyone's day is awesome!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Themikesmom, do you have a pic of Rose Queen? Plant files have many different pics. I let my cleome self seed even though I save some seeds. I have never started them indoors. I just thin out the ones that self seeded.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Concord, NC

Yor Very First pic mike..first plant in it all the way to the left is Giant Rose. i am so jeleous Rose Cleome is my favorite plant. i never can get the seeds to start..those little fine long light feather weight black microscopic things they wont spout for me..atleast not indoors or on a plate or germination tray or hothouse..one July i tried sow some right on the ground of soft potting soil and a couple came up put stayed stunted seedlings and frost killed them :( is their a secret to getting these seeds to start?

This message was edited Feb 25, 2015 1:33 PM

Concord, NC

Also looks like You have every color Cleome there is in the Rainbow :-) heres a rose queen my son had in 2010 with his hand next to it..im not that hairy..we also like giant rose which is solid magenta pink better than rose queen with is white and light pink. like it second best. before these bloom with flowers they look like cannabis plants..awoke one morning to a helicopter hovering over the house with an infa-red light shining down on them..the joys of nosy neighboors that know nothing about plants.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2015 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by themikesmom
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Im going to have to watch for that! I like it :)

LOLOL MikesMom.. what a way to wake up hahah omg

Kat Ill get your seeds in the mail today :)

I got mine planted last night, we will see what they do haha. Had a nice surprise yesterday from the local greenhouse. They sell plug plants for annuals(?) and perennials (aound $2) :D If your looking for anything, send me a dmail and I will see if they have/or will have :) I know she listed off tons of coneflowers to me and some daylilies. Excited to go there after hubs leaves and do some shopping one morning ;)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Themikesmom they must like the cold from being on the ground outside all winter. I have never tried starting them from seed. That row of Cleome's all germinated between the drive way and the scallop edge border. Approx two inch space that I topped off with sand to keep weed seeds from hanging on to and germinating. I do have some seeds that I saved in the fridge if you would like some to try again.
Badcat sneaking out the house again? LOL!
I have been looking thru all the mail order catalogs to see which companion plants I am going to add this season. Plan to decide by this weekend. Here are some I am considering.
Persicaria Painter's Palette
Phlox Tiara
Phlox Candy Twist
Phlox Red Riding Hood
Phlox Glamour Girl
Phlox David's Lavender
Cimicifuga Hillside Black Beauty
Cimicifuga Chocoholic
Stuttgart Canna
Double Tuberose
Big Brother Giant Lily, etc, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread