CLOSED: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow, that is some food court! Love the photo bomb! ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Do the car customers eat a lot from the food court?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

uhm, yes, but with 100 employees it gets depleted fast. So glad they have people to come and refill, cuz, that is not on my list of job duties. ( I found a moldy grape in a fruit cup right off the bat and they took it out and replaced with a fresher one) I am the monitor of all things here LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Do you do any gardening there?

I'm the caretaker of the tropicals here , huge potted plants and I take cuttings and start them in pretty glass containers, and spread them around the offices. One year they let me plant some tomatoes in one of the "landscape" beds, but the boy who pulls weeds pulled them all up, so I don't even mess with the outside stuff anymore here.

OH NO! Why did he pull them out?

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

He thought they were weeds!

Ken

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No doubt.

Good Morning and Happy Sunday. It is sunny here! YAY! I'd already be outside if it were already 50 outside, but we have a bit to go till then.
Yes, the boy who pulled weeds thought the foot tall tomato plants were weeds. I should left the tags or put the cages on.
Oh well, I'm doing good to keep up with my stuff at home LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra your job sounds interesting where do you work? Who wouldnt want to take care of plants all day? Lol.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Years ago we planted a garden and then went on vacation, leaving the care of the garden to someone else for a couple weeks. When we returned the corn was all pulled out and there were neat rows of Johnson grass.

Ronna, I am the Customer Relations Manager at Scholfield Honda, it is a Honda car dealership, I am over Sales and Service and wear lots of hats, one of them being the caregiver for about 9 huge tropical plants scattered about the stores and at Christmas I had to take care of the 99 poinsettias and so I am not too keen on Poinsettias anymore. Mostly I call a lot of people, and take care of everyone. I used to sell these cars, but my legs and back can't take the constant standing and walking on the blacktop anymore, so I have a nice office. It is my job that will take me to retirement in about 3 years. ( I hope)
Crystal... really? Johnson grass? sheesh!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I guess it was an obvious mistake. Corn and Johnson grass go look a lot alike when they are only a few inches tall. And it has provided a good story for gardeners for years now. heehee

I almost , repeat almost, went to the hillside feed n seed to see if they have seedlings yet.
Is it time to start peas and corn for transplanting later? So glad I stuck to my guns and didn't go shopping at a garden store over lunch hour. *sigh*
Last year Atwoods had corn seedlings in March or April. Does that sound right?

I have never heard of corn seedlings!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm with you, Linda Kay. I thought one simply planted the corn in the ground. That's certainly what the farmers do.

Ken

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, yes, but those grains of corn sprout into seedlings. These are sold in garden centers among other places.

http://whitestonefarm.com.au/move-hay-while-the-sun-shines/olympus-digital-camera-49/

I grew up in Michigan, and have lived in Texas since 1986, and I have never heard of or seen corn seedlings. everyone waited for the right time, to just plant them directly in the ground. Guess we learn something new everyday!

Well, I see seedlings on an image dated in January so I don't feel like I am seeing things weird now :) I am so excited! I get my pain shot blocker thing done on the 26th of this month right in time before we head out to Texas. YAY!

Can't wait to see you Debra!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Are you have a lumbar-injection of steroid?

what ever it is called , that is what I am scheduled for. ANd I am so ready for it to happen.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Should have said "Are you to have a lumbar-injection of steroid?"

Old!

Ken

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra sounds like you have a pretty nice job. Good for you. Am glad they gave you a new position when it got to much selling the cars. Sure hope the pain shots help you loads.
We are going to be heading out for Grand Rapids really soon. Going to see Fleetwood Mac tonight. We got a good couple inches of snow today. Bjt it stopped mid day. Now the roads are all cleared. So good no bad drive there. Have a great evening all. I will

Enjoy the concert tonight.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Corn seedlings are sold, but it is an idea meant only for making money, not growing corn. Seed planted in the ground at the right time will far out distance anything sprouted in a cell pack.

Thanks Crystal, I was wondering because I have a few corn seeds.. I will wait.
Ronna, u lucky girl! I loved seeing Fleetwood Mac. We go to a lot of concerts. I heard ZZ top is playing 2 nights in San Antonio. *sigh* Already seen both those bands a couple times, never get tired of them, tho.
OLD? well, Ken, when the dr says " AT your age"..before starting to tell you what you need, that is exactly how I feel.. LOL. good grief, 63 right around the corner, I swear, when I feel good, I feel 33. *sigh*

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm not advocating planting corn seedlings. Just saying they do exist. We have so many farmers around here that grow and sell corn at the Farmers' Market or at a roadside stand that I wouldn't even bother with it. Oh so delicious. But it's like growing anything else - fun, if that's what you want to do.

lol. Debra, I know what you mean. "At your age" ... but when it's good, it's very very good and when it's bad, it's sometimes rather horrid.

How was the concert, Ronna? Indeed a fun thing to do. :)

We're still in a very warm spell. It's going to 54° today but we have slight chance of snow Friday when night temps drop to around freezing. Shouldn't be a big snow event though.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

You'll have to move up to another decade to guess my age.

Ken

I will be 60 in June, and I get that same statement from my Dr's.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Sounds like a lot of us here are getting to " a certain age" lol Debra your job sounds a lot like mine, except I work for a small independent dealership that has been in business under the same owner for 43 years and we do mostly wholesale but some retail sales. I also wear a lot of hats. I am the caretaker of the fish,plants,dogs,as well as the guys that work there. In addition to the paperwork and everything else the job entails. And I sell a few vehicles every now and then, when I have time. lol I have been there 15 years. One of the best parts about it ,is that I only have 1 person telling me what to do.. And I can take my grand babies to work in an emergency, my employer is really good about that ;)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think I saw your age somewhere, Ken, but I don't remember. 72? Are you going to tell us? :-) I'm 67.

That's very nice, Nanny. Great to have a job like that.

Guess I'd better get started on my taxes. Wouldn't want the government to under without our contribution.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quiet. Hope everyone is well and safe. It's a gray old winter day here.

Yeah, all the threads are really quite. Guess everyone is busy with early seed planting, or just bundled up trying to stay warm?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Snow storm of historic proportions on the east coast today and tomorrow LK, so I'd say a lot of folks are in fire drill mode.

Best of luck - stay warm and dry!!!

xox
A.

I saw that on the news this morning, sounds like one heck of a snow storm.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

It's not like the NE doesn't get snow. It reminds me of SUPER storm Sandy. Sure, it hit a populous area, but it was only a Cat. 2 storm. Compare that storm to Katrina or Camille, with all the loss of life, all the total destruction along the Mississippi coast line and New Orleans, and how those two storms literally changed the landscape forever. Why was Sandy a "Super-storm"? Because that's the title the Weather Channel put on it. It made good news and increased the viewers for that channel/program.

Ken

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Not too many Northeastern-ers on the thread. ;-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Everyone be warm and safe no matter where you are.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

We got a little sleet and snow. last night, more on the way tonight. But I am so glad we aren't getting that 3 feet of snow. That is a lot for one storm to drop, even in the Northeast.
Ditto ,Carole. I hope everyone stays safe and warm,wherever you are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.