CLOSED: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1382129/
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.. as we go into the new year and new month ( January)
lets see some pictures of your December Christmas, and share your New Year Thoughts, Hopes and Dreams of the upcoming opportunity to star anew..
I got a New Camera for Christmas and a case of Mink Hairspray that is hard to find. My new camera has those rechargeable batteries and I have had a four hour nap and still waiting on the battery thing to be done so I can play with my new toy. I have been on vacation all week and this is the first Christmas holiday I have been off Christmas Eve and the day after. It has been a preview of being home retired with Joe and I have loved it. My hope is to be retired in three more years, but in the meantime, drop down in hours at work.
I broke the base of my 32 year old large ceramic tree, so am on the hunt.
I played with glass containers ( filling with ornaments and lights) and now I want to get Joe a glass drill bit so he can drill Holes to string the light plugs thru..
I am about to start winter sowing seeds..what are you all up to??

Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the new thread, Debra. I'll be back after breakfast.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

With DH sick, our Christmas was quiet. We did, however, eat very well the past two days ... turkey, dressing, gravy, yams, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. Very few leftovers now, but I am going to make some soup today.

I had not heard of Mink hairspray so had to go look at it online. I got my hair cut short month before last and it's ready for a trim as soon as I can get over to WM. They have specials on Tuesdays - haircuts are only $8. The price is aimed at Ft. Campbell soldiers but anyone is welcome to get a cut for that price.

Debra, I have several of those old ceramic trees. If you don't find a base for yours, post a picture and I'll look to see if I have anything that would work.

The glass containers are beautiful. Love those! I have a small collection of old lighted jewelry tree pictures.

Time for a cat nap. ;-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room Debra.

Love all your pictures.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Good afternoon all. I went after Christmas shopping to day with my mom. We got some pretty good things all half price. Even got some nice things a sweet little someone in my life. I sure hope you all had a great Christmas. My tree is down and another day I will take down the other stuff. But the snow men can stay out a little longer. Even tho we do not have any snow outside. I am not complaining at all. Today it is 45 degrees outside. Sunny too.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I used to love to go shopping with my mom the day after Christmas, Ronna, and snag the deals - sometimes up to 75% or more off. I mostly bought big decorative nutcrackers back then. We had quite a collection. The snowmen in your avatar are very sweet. :)

I didn't decorate a lot this year, but everything is put away except the new lighted jewelry tree picture. I'm going to leave that out for awhile.

No snow here either ... Yay! I'm not overly fond of the white stuff. But I really hate black ice.

I found an unmarked container in the freezer and when defrosted, it turned out to be broth and chicken pieces from a chicken I had cooked down for that purpose. I added the leftover turkey to that and what was left of the dressing, some good egg noodles, and some chopped spinach. The soup that resulted was yummy in the tummy. I'll add a little more water or bouillon and we'll be eating soup for a few more days. I'm going to get a frozen turkey breast next time I go to the store and cook that in my crock pot. We just didn't get enough turkey out of the drumsticks to satisfy us. :)

The KY Wildcats play basketball today so I know what we'll be doing later on this afternoon. They are still undefeated and #1 in the country among college teams. Soup for lunch and pizza during the game.

All this food talk is making me hungry. Guess I'd better go have some breakfast.

It's starting to rain. Have a great day.

oh goodness, I LOVE that jewelry tree idea. Did you make them? I gotta see if that is something I can do.
We didn't blanket the house this year with every christmas item as we ususally do, we were lucky Joe found a tree. We both were hoping to be in Texas instead. :)
Ronna , We are already packing the little stuff up too.. My Snow men never made it out this year.. yours are adorable. You are brave to go shopping. I hate shopping in the malls and big box stores.The tradition here is to take the tree down on New Years Day while football is on, since I do the packing of everything.
Well, Joe made cinnamon rolls, so I will pass them around...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No, I didn't make those but someone did. I think it's definitely something you can do, Debra. They look fairly easy to do if you have a lot of old jewelry. It's a frame with a stiff board in it. That's covered with a fabric of your choice. Most of them seem to be felt or velvet or a similar material. Holes are drilled for the lights and the old jewelry is glued on. You can design them to look however suits your fancy.

I never went to the big box stores for the after-Christmas sales. My favorite places when we lived in CA were the fabric stores. They carried lots of Christmas decorations and usually had a lot of that left after the holiday with good sale prices. Just had to get there early to get the best selection.

I can smell those cinnamon rolls - yum!

Ky Wildcats won the game. Yay! :)

This message was edited Dec 28, 2014 2:56 AM

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Isn't it great to have such a talented basketball team? Gosh you ONLY have nine McDonald's All-Americans and the tenth player should have been. I guess McDonald's ran out of room on their roster..........LOL My New Year's wish is to sign ONE McDonald's All-American next year!

I head for Miami before dawn in the morning for the Orange Bowl. With the game being so late New Year's Eve, I will probably ring in the new year at the stadium.

Ken

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I admire those jewelry tree pics also. I think it would be fun to make.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Crystal. :)

Yes, drdawg, UK has a great team this year. Not good ... great! So many McDonald's All- Americans on one team! If it wasn't my favorite team, I might say that many on a team should be outlawed. Have fun at the Orange Bowl. It's not like you wouldn't.

We were able to go to the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl once or twice when we lived out West. I have never been to such a high energy game. It was something else. As I recall it was USC and Arizona. But that was a long time ago.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I think the NCAA ought to crack down on teams like Kentucky. I like your idea of limited McDonald's All-Americans. Perhaps a maximum (at any one time) of four. The "wealth" of talent needs to be spread around..........LOL

If there were a play-off today, and the best 100 basketball teams in America were included (not pro teams), my Dawgs wouldn't make it. Heck, there are probably better high school teams out there. Sad.

Ken

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

OK, well, I wouldn't go that far, but then I'm sort of prejudiced. At least this year.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

You know this is all tongue-in-cheek, right? Now that the four "power" conferences weld pretty much all the clout in college sports, the NCAA could never even bring to the floor a restriction on something like that. Nor should it. Kentucky has always loved its basketball and have always been very successful. The rest of us (in the SEC) will always be chasing them for that top-spot.

I think you can go ahead and book your hotel room for the Final Four!

Ken

KC Chiefs won, but since it doesn't make sense to me, that is all I'm going to say. My son and Hubby are all like yay! we won, but we aren't going to the playoffs? I just don't "get" it.

I think I'm gonna take a nap....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hope is was a good nap, Debra. :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

BTW, we rabid Wildcat fans don't do tongue-in-cheek. We are totally serious about the team, every day, all the time. And besides, we're Cats and not dawgs. LOL.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

It is an art-form and difficult to master. Perhaps that's why..........LOL

Ken

Well, I just woke up and the world is still here..trying to eat all the left overs in the fridge.

So, now we are on to Basketball... go Shocks! LOL

Can't believe how fast this vacation week has flown by..
I only started 2 seeds! *sigh*

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, at least you got a break from work, Debra. It's amazing how quickly vacations can fly by as opposed to the way time usually passes. :-)

Could be drd, could be. BTW, are you growing garlic this year?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well off rom work today. Going to make a couple new recipes for dinner I think. Maybe going to a sale. Not to sure yet. I have scored some deals on sales this year. Had fun too.
We are maybe planning a trip to TN this spring. We like to take the train so I do not have to drive!! Memphis has loads of stuff to do lookslike a great city. Am getting excited. Come on spring!
I would love to go to the human rights museum, the botanical gardens, therecord studio where elvis and others recorded, amung resturants of course. Graceland looksbeautiful. But expensive for the tickets! Wow 45.00 and up. Maybe drive bye? Lol.

We are not into basketball here either. My son's try to follow the Spurs, but we are football people here.

Ken glad you found us, welcome to the chat room!

Wow, that is expensive just to get into Graceland!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Went shopping at Hobby Lobby all there remaini g Christmas is 80 % off. Sale started today. Yes, I did have fun. Lol.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Go Cats! I am anxious for Spring too, But I am afraid it could be a long wait. :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Right on!

I know, Nanny. I have no patience for much waiting anymore. I'm worse than a little child sometimes.

The TN Titans have been so lousy this year that I've given up on football. :o(

You will have a blast, Ronna. How long do you plan to be in Memphis?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello Ladies. :)

Gardenlady - I like snowmen too with their smiley happy faces - they can stay out longer than other Christmas decorations, and that makes me cheery too.

on the other hand, I have had my fill of Christmas/holiday music so I'm back to scrolling thru Spotify to find something perky. Right now I'm listening to some Latin upbeat dance music. It also helps me with my translation skills.

It was a low key holiday, but I pushed myself to make it great. For me attitude is everything and I'm pushing pushing pushing! Gonna be a great year, wait and see.

For now the sun is shining that gorgeous blue that I LOVE so I'm going to enjoy today - I hope you all do too.

xo
A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm always ready to put away the Christmas things the day after.

DH's nephew is an attorney in WA State and plays the banjo/lead vocalist in a traditional bluegrass band, The Oly Mountain Boys. I enjoy listening to their music - and some jazz and reggae. http://olymountainboys.com/band_bio

We have several of those lovely CDs that have the sounds of the ocean and little else. I can close my eyes and clearly visualize one of my favorite places, the coast of NorCal and Southern Oregon.

Waiting to hear about your trip, Ronna. That sounds like a whole lotta fun.

That band is really good! Thanks for sharing.

Your up early!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK. DH didn't sleep so neither did I.

I hope you get some sleep tonight.

me too... on hoping you get some sleep. I am also hoping Ronna has a great trip. I went to Nashville one time for ten days and had a blast.
we went to a movie earlier today ( Gone Girl) so that we wouldn't have to negotiate the snow/ice mix that did come in as soon as we got home. Which put me to sleep as soon as I got comfy to watch TV.
My son had his car stolen the other night and now he is in teh red cougar. it has been the emergency car for ever, rear wheel drives are scary to drive, but he and Joe loaded it up with sandbags. it is a 1996 so it has been thru some winters. liability only on the older cars so theft doesn't get covered.

Thanks for the link to the music, me and the plants love music. Got to check into the ocean wave cd, want some bird songs too for the basement gardens, that would make a great environment
to just sit and relax in while watching fish.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nashville isn't very far from us here. It's a great city.

Debra, do they have any idea who stole his car or if he'll be able to get it back?

We're going to have some very cold weather Wed. and Thurs. It may even be down into the single-digits. We haven't seen it that low in a long time. Brrr...

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

That is just too cold the first week in January! We will get down to 15 with a high of 28 F. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry to hear about your son's car Debra. What kind of car did he have?

It is cold here too. only 33 this morning with ice on the windshield of the cars. Supposed to be mid 50's today, and back to freezing temps again.

Michelle has the January Birthday card swap open...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383893/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's cold here this morning as well and perhaps going into the single digits as the week goes on. It will remain cold the rest of the week. :(

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Yep, I am perhaps 300 miles south of you and we too will get into the teens this week. Brrrrrrrrr indeed! I have orchids to ship - and can't.

Ken

I don't think too many plants would like to be shipped right now. Any pictures of your orchids?

yes, plz show us your orchids, Ken.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Here are some in bloom.

Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.