December Weather - dead of winter!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

31 here and foggy still. Won't warm up much. Just to 35 or so.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thank you, sunkissed

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Been pretty mild around our neck of the woods. Mid 30s during the day. Kinda gray tho. This mkrning it is only 17. A very frosty morning with the cars glistening. So glad I do not have to work this morning.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Up to 77° today, we're going to grill some burgers! ☺

Red sky this morning, but here that means nothing.

They are calling for partly cloudy and a high of 67F.

Currently 47F.

Rough sea and rainy day at Montaña de Oro State Park

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli,
Love your ocean photos.
Will go to 35 degrees. Sunny with blue sky. Tomorrow 43 degrees with possibility of rain. Maybe that will melt all the snow that still lingers on the ground.

Mountain View, HI

Trade winds are weakening and becoming light and variable. Some cloud, showers overnight, temp aroundmid 70s. Tomorrow should be about the same and then on Monday and Tuesday we may have a storm system sweep through from the the northwest bringing heavy showers and thunderstorms. Behind that system they are forcasting brisk Northerly winds which will bring our temps down where we are to upper 60s, maybe upper 50s at night.
Just right for Christmas.

Lava now O.6 miles from Pahoa and the flow is slowing. Back in November the active flow crept into peoples back yards and took out one house then stopped. Maybe this flow will do the same and stop right on the edge of town. We can only hope.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

31º all day, but overcast & southerly wind makes it feel cold.

Around 40 and still cloudy out. I haven't seen the sun in a long time and it will be quite some time still before I do apparently.

62° this morning at sunrise, High of 79°...how about that! Sunny now, but a very good chance of rain this afternoon as the next cold front sinks down. I'm in shorts and flip flops this morning.

Kelli such gorgeous shots, I do love California coastline, one day gonna get back over there and cruise it again.

They are calling for a high of 71F. It doesn't need to get warmer than that this time of year but it will.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PST on December 21, 2014
Clear
60 °F
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the NNW
Pressure: 30.11 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 4.00 out of 12

This is Willow Creek picnic area in Big Sur. It is down a steep road and almost under the highway. It was a nice little secret find though I'm sure in the summer we wouldn't have it all to ourselves. I'm not sure why it is called a picnic area when there are no tables, but it did have outhouses. Those brushy trees in the first picture are the willows of Willow Creek.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Hot and humid today ahead of the approaching weather system. Blue skies with fluffy white clouds. Near 80f. Have to work in the shade today.

Love those photos Kelli. Must have looked really nice before they put in the highway

43 and damp. Been misting off and on all day. I thought the sun was going to break through the clouds early this afternoon but that didn't happen. Still not sure when the sun will shine again. If Seattle has my sunshine I want it back. lol

65° this morning with 96% humidity, ugh. Rained good all night long, rain gauge says 4 inches. Sun is trying to peak out now, High 79° and a chance of more showers today.

My Christmas cactus blooming....

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

They are calling for a high of 75F. What I'd really like is some rain but there is none in the forecast. It was really windy last night. There were palm fronds laying on the street all over and the pool at the gym had some debris in it.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on December 22, 2014
Clear
68 °F
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 26 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Pollen: 5.20 out of 12

This area is called Sand Dollar. It's in Big Sur again. The bird is a Steller's jay. We had no food but he came around just in case.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Wonderful photos Sunkissed and Kelli.

Quoting the weather persons here - Flash flood watch, severe thunderstorms are possible for the small islands with possible hail. Blizzard warning up for the summits of Mauna kea and Mauna Loa. Heavy snow possible.
We shall wait and see.

Lava now just under half a mile from Pahoa shopping center. Moving slowly, causing a lot of stress

44 and rain all day. Chance of rain, snow and/or ice tomorrow. Depends on temps.

What beautiful Jay bird, Kelli.

70° this morning at sunrise, that is warm for this time of year. High 81°, sunny now, but a chance of rain. We turned AC on last night....crazy for December.

They are calling for a high of 71F though I don't know how it can be only 71F when it is already 68F. I would like a nice, rainy day but it's not in the forecast.

Updated: 5:51 AM PST on December 23, 2014
Clear
68 °F
Clear
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Pressure: 29.99 in (Rising)
Pollen: 6.40 out of 12

This is the Mill Creek Picnic area

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Light snow.
33º

1" of snow this morning and 29 degrees.

No snow here yet but we did have sunshine this morning before the clouds moved back in. 38 and dark currently.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What is sunshine ?
Still 35º here, but dark.
Been spitting snow or raining all day.

LOL!! Here's the funny part about all this crazy weather. My cousin is in town from North Carolina. He said it's all dead and brown up there currently. He comes home expecting the same thing and instead sees all this green. Shocked him pretty good. lol. We haven't had a deep freeze since the Polar Vortex.

Mountain View, HI

Woke up to cloudy skies. Flash flooding occurring on Maui and North end of the Big Island.
By 1.30 the heavy rain started in our area. Eased up by 4.30pm but its getting dark and temp is already down to 66f. Light dusting if snow on mountain tops. Overnite and tomorrow is forecast to be rough weather. Flash Flood watch for all islands until Wed 6pm and blizzard warning still in place for mountain summits. But its all "could be:" so have to wait and see.

Lava flow has stalled for now. No forward movement for last 24 hrs. Lots of upslope breakouts which is draining the supply of lava to the front of the flow. So there is still activity but its back upslope but could flow down again over the coming weeks.

I can't believe it was 75° this morning when I got up, that is like August temperatures. Really windy and clouds racing across the sky, heavy storms expected today as a front comes down.

High today 83°, low tonight 58° and tomorrow only a high of 68° and sunny, so at least Christmas will be cooler.

Stay safe Mike, at least the lava is taking a break.

Pepper that is crazy, NC has seen some pretty cold temps already.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

The weather has been very calm around here so far this winter. No snow. Maybe get some tonight. It is raining now been all night. Fine with me I am not feeling good. So no reason to go any where. It is 38 and chilly rain.

I almost forgot you guys today, sorry.

Microb, isn't there a type of lava called pahoe?

They are calling for a high of 72F. It is hazy sunny. I am looking forward to tomorrow, high of 57F.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 24, 2014
Clear
71 °F
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 40 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Pollen: 6.00 out of 12

Merry Christmas to all my weather friends

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Well the weather did not happen where we are. Heavy shower yesterday afternoon and some light rain after that and that was it. There is snow on the mountain peaks and flooding in other parts of the islands but were lucky. Should be nice for Christmas.

Kelli - two main types of lava Pahoehoe and A'a. The pahoehoe is very fluid and flows at varying speeds. It usually flows through lava tubes from the source to the front of the flow with breakouts occurring when the tube collapses That's what we have near Pahoa after flowing about 12 miles from the source.
The A'a is like clinker. It moves very slowly and is usually high at the front. Movement is detected by seeing the clinker like hot rock fall the front and tumble forward.

We will be the last to see Santa. Usually his sleigh is nearly empty but he does take a well earned rest on Waikiki beach. He detaches the reindeer on the grassy upland slopes of the big island cause they don't like the sand. As for the helper elves they get up to mischief all across the islands.

Happy Christmas to all.

35 and cloudy with some drizzle off and on all day.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Rain the past few nights , with 40's 50's for high ,, tonight cold as temperatures are falling to 20's and 30's
possible 2 to 3 inches of snow for Christmas Eve .. tonight ,,

Merry Christmas to All !!!

Windy this morning and they are calling for a high of 58F which is fine with me but I think it will get warmer since it is already 50F at the house and the sun isn't really up yet.

Updated: 5:51 AM PST on December 25, 2014
Clear
52 °F
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 25 °F
Wind: 22 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 30 mph
Pressure: 29.81 in (Rising)
Pollen: 6.00 out of 12

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sun is out, almost.
38º
Back home from Christmas dinner at my daughters house.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sitting in Chicago, temps stayed just above freezing and no new precip as was hoped for.This is Oconto Falls, Wis last night where I weighed the sleigh before heading south to Chicago the ghostown, DUNKUN DONUTS is the only thing I've seen cookin today. 40° on that river and lake, even tho ice is coating them, and Chicago at sundown tonite,42° and cold weather clouds moving in. Ok, 3rd pic must be getting bumped out, so will post these of Wis

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chicago west, Christmas Days end at sunset

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Currently 50 and mostly clear. Had sunshine all day which was nice.

My brother, nephew and grandma came over for dinner. My sis in law wasn't feeling good so couldn't make it. Had fun though.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

near 40 the high , mostly 30's gray weather still

rain here and there .. mild so far ..

Microb ,, lol Loved the Santa on vacation , sounds like an idea !!!

53° and cloudy this morning, supposed to get sunny later on and up to 74°. Yesterday got up to mid 60's and was cloudy all day.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

Spectacular lights, Kelli.

41F at the house. They are calling for a high of 59F so it will probably be above 60F at the house. They are calling for some wind today.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on December 26, 2014
Clear
48 °F
Clear
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 16 °F
Wind: 14 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
Pollen: 7.00 out of 12

A few pictures from two weeks ago from Moonstone Beach at Cambria. I sure miss it. It was peaceful and no neighbors blasting the music. Do you believe they were blasting it on Christmas morning? I know we're supposed to love our enemies but I would love if they moved away.

We got 8" of snow between Friday and Saturday. That is on top of what we already had. 16F. and cloudy.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.