December Weather - dead of winter!

Woke up to 1" of snow this morning. 30 now, will be 34 degrees for high. 23 tonight. More snow Monday and Tues am.

Mountain View, HI

Beautiful breezy day with partly cloudy skies, dry and about mid 70s. Hopefully the strong breeze will dry out the ground

Lava now 1.4 miles from Pahoa.

Enjoying those pics Kittriana. Nice snow shots.

Sunkissed - I don't think I'll try Christmas cactus for a while, they fall apart and rot for me. I have my hands full with Epis, Amaryllis and Amorphophallus for now.

Mike

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

63 currently and the sun shone today. Weathermen lied for today. lol

Snowed all day and we went from 1" to 4"

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We are on vacation in Cambria (central California). They were calling for a high of 60°F and that sounds about right. It is sunny so I don't need a coat. They are calling for it to rain tomorrow afternoon.

Mountain View, HI

Correction to weather report above - turned grey, and rainy all afternoon with strong breeze. High wind advisory up for leeward slopes. Barely made it past 70f. Might stay like this through tomorrow.

It's now raining. Just got home from work Xmas party and most people didn't know it was raining. lol.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

51º Been this for 2 days. Cooling off soon, with winter weather advisory.

It is cloudy and 56°F with a 100% chance of rain.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

39° again this morning, kind of getting over it now. Sunny and warming to 70, just wish the nights would warm up also.

Mike, if it is any consolation, I can't get Epis to grow here and have given up, even though others have been quite successful.

Florida fall colors, we're a bit late, but we still get some fall colors...I took these with my cell phone while out walking last week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Freeeezing this morning with low temp and 12" of SNOW!

sunkissedI am surprised that you can't grow epis. I grew them in my greenhouse when I lived in Nebraska. They are jungle plants that grow on tree branches but will grow in a pot with a rich quick-draining soil with plenty of sand, leaf mold, and peatmoss, or ground bark. Need part shade or indirect light. If they grow in California, why not in Florida?

I also grew some in the house when I had big windows.

You can see some in the photo. I have photos of flowers also but was taken before digital cameras so have to scan the photos to upload.

Thumbnail by
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok. LA had a tornado? Or am I watching old pics on weather channel? Connecticut, Hartford are, 48° but a good breeze making it feel like 30°, bright sun

Thumbnail by kittriana

Yes, L.A. had a tornado. They happen some times when it rains.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

40's the past couple days , fair weather ,,
humid and a few sprinkles ,

Nice pics ,

Different weather , is always the same ,, US is a weather disaster ,, #1 Only weather disaster we do not get is tsunami ,, Hawaii would argue ,, However they are rare , so I guess I should apply that to Mainland USA ..Hurricane winds and water disasters on every coast people on the continent might argue that also ,, only those are still floods ,,,

Well , at least the Tornado did not look like the sci -fi disaster LA films ,(knock on wood , probably comes next ,...

39° again this morning, sheesh! They keep saying we are going to warm up, but another cold front is coming so we better hurry and do it. At least is it sunny and nice during the daytime.

Yea yea...rub it in Blooma, I didn't say they couldn't grow in FL, I just can't seem to grow them. ..probably got too cold here. I do see beautiful specimens of night blooming cactus when I go to south FL. However, I did get a clipping from a plant round up last spring and so far it hasn't died, so time will tell.

Hard to believe a tornado in S.Cal, but at least you're getting some rain, Kelli.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I wasnt sure if I had seen the right show. Iknow what causes tornadoes- basic training for Tx Ok and Ks- like lightning storm training in the western deserts area.
Fog. 46° no breeze yet- Phoenixville, Pa (north of Valley Forge a hop)

High yesterday at 52, That was in the morning and it dropped steadily after that. Now murky and 29.

It is 12 degrees as I write, going to 40 this afternoon. Hopefully it will melt some of the 12" of SNOW we got Monday.

sunkissed sorry and good luck with the cutting.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought tornados were the one natural disaster that LA didn't have. Crazy!

Clear and crisp here today. Luv the sunshine, supposed to rain for the rest of the week.

Mountain View, HI

Still a little damp, partly sunny, rained during the night, ground very wet, mid 70s today, hardly any wind. Forecast for next few days is kind of bland with sun, showers and a gentle breeze.

Lava now 1 mile from Pahoa

I think who can grow what depends on the mental connection you have with plants. I talk to my plants, Epis like me so they grow - clumping bamboo and me get along fine, but Canna Lilies well sometimes we don't see eye to eye. Flowering vines - we are still trying to work things out. Not everyone gets along with everyone. Same with plants.

Weatherman lied. It is only 19 degrees and won't go any highter. Darn it all!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Pahoa, we will remember you were there.

Cannas we chunk in the ground and stand back. Just try to kill one, grrr.

Susquehanna River, gray all day, easy on my eyes but want to sleep! Traffic crazier every day, light mist at sundown, 45°

Thumbnail by kittriana

It was sunny and in the high 50s today in Cambria. It felt warmer than that.

Currently 28. Didn't get much warmer than that today. Snow on the way tomorrow night into Thursday. Not expecting much though. 1-2 inches.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunday it was in the 50's. Right now it's back to winter, 13º. Stars are out, so maybe sun tomorrow.

54° this morning, after seven mornings hovering around 40° sure feels good. High today 71° and sunny, but they say back down to 46° tonight.

Blomma, I decided to check my cutting yesterday, it actually had a new small branch growing but the squirrels broke it off, so I took the new branch and put it in another pot away from my tree. Good thing we talked about it, or I might not have noticed it.

Mike, I have been caught talking to my plants also. I tell them, "If you don't make it...there is a whole nursery full of plants to take your place". ☺

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Giant, yellow ball in the sky!
14º
Typical December weather.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Back in Pa and heading for Chicago. 34° winds told me somethin was afoot. Confused winter mix across the hilltops of i80, gray easy on the eyes day.
I expect Dust Devils in California's southern areas, not twisters!

It is 56°F in Cambria and hazy sunny. The ocean has calmed down some. It rained some last night. It was 44°F this morning. It didn't feel that cold.

Currently 29 and under a winter advisory. Snow moving in from the south and we could see up to 4 inches by the end.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

15º and dark.

It is cloudy and 51° F in Cambria. We have to go home today. Bummer.

Mountain View, HI

Seems like we have one wet day and the one dry day. Nice partly sunny breezy day today but the ground is so wet to work on in the yard. Mid 70s, mid 60s tonite and should be a nice day tomorrow. Driving up the coast to Waimea tomorrow. Will be looking out for Whales.

Lava is O.8 miles from Pahoa. Webcams have been set up at the shopping center to watch the lava approach. One cam is pointing at the shopping center, one pointing up slope to watch the approach Current flow speed should reach in 5 day. Hoping it stops like it did before.

Mountain View, HI

Anyone interest can google "Kilauea Update" and then click on Webcams. This is weather related because some of the webcams have great pics of the clouds over the mountain slopes.

32 and foggy. Most of the snow we got this morning has melted. We didn't get as much out here as they did in the city. They got up to 5 inches. We got a dusting.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

25° @0600 am cst, Beaver Dam, Wis. Still dark. Streets are dry tho so prolly be a good chilly day.

48° this morning and high of 72° partly cloudy and pleasant.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2014 8:00 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Same old.
27º gray overcast.

I am back home now.

They are calling for a high of 61F

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PST on December 19, 2014
Clear
46 °F
Clear
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.22 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 3.80 out of 12

San Simeon, in the area of Hearst Castle

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli

Beautiful photos Kelli, that sky is just gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.