Mid-Atlantic Fall Plant Swap

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat---
There were only 2 of the Holly Ferns left today. I bought them both.
A bit smaller that the first batch--but still shiny green and healthy.

I will not get involved with any sharing of these--that is up to you.
Do let me know how so I can write down what you owe me.
Maybe by tomorrow night, when David gets back, you both can decide.

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter, I should be able to help with the bulbs as well.

Ric and Holly, what kind of plants are your new gardener friends interested in? Should I bring my noid hostas and astilbes if they're not claimed by then?

I still have a couple of light light pink astilbes left. They're a lot bigger than I thought.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I think they will take most anything. One has a lot of shade and the other has sun.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Awesome, thanks! Now I'll have no worries about those bulbs... I'll come if I can, of course, but if we get delayed I'll let Happy know, and she'll make sure they get picked up. Regardless, maybe a couple of people can come early to Holly's or get together the day before to sort them out. We'll use "our system," and it should go smoothly enough! :-)

Is anybody looking for noid Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)? I just realized I have a dozen or so seedlings crammed into a pot that didn't make it to the spring swap...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Please let Holly have one of the ferns you just acquired. We will be good with 4. Thanks so much, Gita, for being our personal shopper again.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

OK! I will put one of the ferns aside for you.

Pat is right--Holly SHOULD have a "Holly Fern"....
Sorry about all this confusion...

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks guys.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I won't be able to make it to the swap, sorry guys!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Paul, so sorry, we will really miss your presence. :-(

Gita, the ferns you pictured are Japanese Holly Ferns, which should be hardy to zone 6.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--Thanks! Good to know!
Then ric and Holly may need to protect theirs from the winter--
as they are in z.6b.

Could it then be called a "Tender perennial"?
As I said--on the back of the generic pot tag it said-
"Hardiness-30* F.

here is a pic of the front and back of the tag. G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

@Paul
X^(

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Paul so sorry you won't be able to make it to the swap. I had something a bit interesting I was looking forward to showing you. I'll have to get a few pics of it and post them for you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul---I will miss you too! Wassup?
Every time we have a swap--you are booked.

Are you going to another wedding???

SO--You will need to send me a check for $14.54.
(Three Hellebores and 2 packs of bamboo stakes).

Bummer-- you NOT coming!!!!
You are missing a LOT-if you have never been to Holly and Ric's?

Sob...Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I know. I know. I got involved with a small company making 3-D laser cut steel logos. Our proof of concept market is the University of Maryland since it is a Frederick County company and locally owned.

The bottom line is that MD plays WVU that weekend and every sale counts for us at this point.

Feel free to check out the website and let me know what you think www.shieldcoart.com via DM.

I'm really upset that I can't be there but I think we have a great product with tremendous potential so I need to do everything I can to make it successful.

Miss you all.
P

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Paul you will be missed but sounds like you have a great reason to miss the swap.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hay, DUDE!
our life and professional endeavors come first. Plants? Not so important!

We ALL know how much you would like to find your niche in a good job.

When, and if you do--we all will celebrate with you.

Hugs...Gita ♥ ♥

ahem
WHEN, not if, you do, we will all celebrate with you
We'll let our hair down!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

I stand corrected!!! MUST think positive!!! It WILL haappen!!!

Paul--checked the link--that is awesome!!! Much success to you!

♪ ♫ Gita ☺.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll let my hair down....that's for sure ;-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

NO! Bald is beautiful nowadays!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol....thanks G!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gita! Cross your fingers.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Paul, we'll sure miss you, but I hope you'll sell loads of fearsome turtles that day. Maybe we'll see you at the end of October at the amaryllis et al party... LMK if Saturday or Sunday (25/26) works better for you, as I think we're flexible there at this point.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

It is an away game for Maryland so either day would work.

Seven Valleys, PA

I am a new member of Dave's Gardens and thrilled that there is a gathering so close to my home. Please count me in and possibly my husband. Thank you, Kathleen Brown (Nan7valleys)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Nan!!!! Welcome to our friendly group :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nan, Welcome so very glad you will be able to attend.
I will be sending out a D-Mail in the next couple of days with our address and some basic directions so you can MapQuest us and check out where we live.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

So glad you're going to join us, nan! Looking forward to meeting you in just a couple of weeks.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Nan: Welcome! It'll be great to meet you!

Welcome Kathleen. Yay another DH for mine to hang out with (maybe) Please look over the Haves lists, once they are brought, no one wants to take them home again.

Hey, last time it occurred to me, maybe it would help if each of us brought a box labeled "Plants for ________" then anyone could drop off designated plants anytime. It might save some of the tracking down/ following people around with pots and bags. Box, or sign, or tractor trailer- your choice of receptacle...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I have blue plastic pepsi trays we thought we would put peoples name on them as a dropping off spot. We would prefer if you didn't take the trays home but they will make a good gathering spot. I haven't quite figured where we will set them up front yard or back but we will have a spot for dropping off plants.

Sounds great! I think this will really simplify the exchange.

Welcome, Kathleen!

Here's the haves/wants list for the swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368362/

Take a look and let us know on this page if you want anything.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, sounds good Holly. It's like a stocking at Christmas :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, we'll stick with the Saturday date at this point, then, Terp, and we'll look forward to seeing you!

Nan, welcome! In case you're not already overwhelmed, I wanted to let you know we had a couple of group buys going for amaryllises, daffodils, lilies, etc... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364646/

Currently, I'm leaving Tuesday for Pittsburgh, Canada trip will be Wednesday to Wednesday or Thursday, so I'll be home Thursday or Friday before the swap. Jim & Joyanna will be holding down the fort. I may grab a few random pots, but mostly I'll focus on getting those bulbs delivered!

Anybody else who wants great deals on some daffs, we've got some extras... 25 cents per bulb on 'Tropical Sunset' (trumpet daff) or 'Blazing Starlet' (butterfly daff, ruffled & fragrant), both really striking varieties... also will probably have a couple dozen 'Tahiti' (my favorite double daff for its sturdiness, 35 cents per bulb, and it's fragrant, too!) I can also make some little pink alliums (A. ostrawkiani) available, as I picked up an extra box figuring they'd be great for around roses & tulips as a critter-deterrant.

We also have a few lilies: 1 each of "pink" Orienpets Anastasia, Friso, Olympic torch, 4 of "red" Orienpet 'Satisfaction', and 2 each of Oriental 'Corso' and 'Salinas'. Lilies can be ordered in groups of 5, so if you want lilies, go to the van Engelen site and let me know on the group buy thread.

(edited to add link to group buy)

This message was edited Aug 30, 2014 10:48 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter: I can take the Tahiti's....

I finally updated my "haves" list -- it has been a very busy year -- nothing new for those of you who have been to swaps before, but maybe your wants will have changed....

This message was edited Aug 30, 2014 2:20 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Happy! I'll find out how many Judy wants, and I'll slide the rest to you. They increase pretty well for me, and when the other big double daffs have blown down in a rainstorm, 'Tahiti' blooms are still holding their heads high! You'll like them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have something new to share. I am sure they will go fast!

I had these before--a few years ago. There is a man who lives
down the road a few houses--and he grows these ultra mini Hostas.
He brought me 2 pots (Greek Yogurt size) of these Hostas.
Today--I divided them into 5 new pots. Yes! These bloom too...

****Sally--I will save one for you for your faerie garden's lawn. Just the right size...

Here is a picture I just took.
--Just divided them tonight. That is a tsp. for scale.
--In July--the undivided ones in the yogurt cups blooming. CUTE!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pretty please for a teeny tiny hosta... will put it into Joyanna's fairy garden planter, where it will hopefully be safe(r) from slugs.

Does anyone have any Burgundy Glow ajuga? Mine is in a dry spot and hasn't spread at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.