July: time for the red, white and blue!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra and Cindy I was thinking the same thing also. It's going to be a rough day for them.

I joined in 2008. My account records say Oct. But I don't think that is totally accurate. I had found Daves early in 2008. I was looking for information on something - don't remember what. To find what I wanted it said I had to pay a membership fee. I wasn't sure what it was all about so I paid the least you could pay. I believe it was a 3 month trial. I did that twice. I already knew Debra and she invited me to her RU. She was the one that told me about the communities and how to navigate Daves. The only thing I was doing was just looking up information. After I discovered there was much more to Daves and found Mid-South I paid my full membership dues.

I believe Trish is a member here. She has never posted much on Daves. I think she mainly follows.

Trish and Jeri both have a long road ahead of them and need all the support we can give them.

We got another rain last night. My water bill is certainly much better this year than last!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cindy welcome back to DG!!! I certainly couldn't have asked for you to join back at a better time than this if I had tried!!! Of course, we are friends on FB…just not the same!!!

I agree Sandra all the messages I receive from you are such a blessing even before this occurred!!! You are fulfilling your destiny here and FB!!!

It's quiet here in the house b/c everyone is still asleep so I have a few minutes to myself, something that has not hardly happened since Sunday and I am spending it with Yall!!!

I feel Yall's prayers and support and know that is what is carrying me through this!!! I love each one of you and hope to get together soon!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a few new things blooming that I thought I would share............

Sunflowers are blooming!

Opened my vehicle Monday when I was returning home from lunch and found this little guy in my seat....... not sure how he got in my vehicle, but its wing was damaged a little ....

Does anyone recognize this mystery plant in the last two photos??? It was in a pot that I has been on my porch since last year's RU. I had THOUGHT it was an empty pot - BUT, this plant started growing in it which I first thought might be a weed...... but it was such a bright chartruese green, that I decided to move it down on the steps to keep it watered and see what happened. It sent up this long thin shoot and now has tiny pink flowers..... I thought surely one of ya'll would recognize it and tell me what it is. The flowers are almost too small to see in the photos but they are a soft pink.

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Jeri - we cross posted. So good to see you posting. Wish we could all be there in person to give you a big hug and help with whatever you need done. This distance thing is a real problem sometimes! Hope we can get together soon!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I'm thinking about you and praying for you! I woke up a couple of times last night and you came to mind both times.

Genna I can't remember the name of the plant right now but it's not a weed. I have it. It's an annual but it reseeds. I have some now that came up in a pot along with a house plant. I usually have a big patch of it in the back but the winter seemed to have gotten that patch. I like the bright green color. As you said the flower is not very large. Petty sunflowers.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna just remembered. Jewels of Ormar.

My memory was close but not quite right! It's Jewels of Opar. Here is a link to it.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/777/

This message was edited Jul 9, 2014 10:51 AM

Slipping quietly into place and praying for you and your family , Jeri ...
I will never forget how you prayed for me and mine ...
Gentle hugs and many tears for your loss.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

This message was edited Jul 9, 2014 6:15 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thank you Charlotte! Guess a little seed germinated in there............

Edited to ask about a prolif? that I have found on one of my DLs. Actually it has two on it. I have never had one before - but I remember ya'll talking about taking them off and potting them....... will they sprout their own roots once you pot them? or do I have to do anything special? I don't see any roots - just green growth like a stalk growing on the scape.................

This message was edited Jul 9, 2014 12:39 PM

Ripley, MS

Jeri, I am glad to see you posting too, please let us hear from you when you can. I know Terrie is living with you, was Cameron living there too? was Jim home for the holiday when the wreck happened? I was worried about his drive home from TX by himself knowing what happened there at home.

Genna, you can take the prolif at any time, just cut at least an inch of the scape with it. I do mine in dirt, I don't like to root things in water---the scape will stay green until frost as long as the prolif is there, when you put it in the soil be sure you put it in the shade and don't forget to water.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It has two prolifs growing right across from each other on the same scape............ do I just leave them both together?

Ripley, MS

You can !

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Jeri, if you make it back here before the visitation or the memorial service for Cameron, please know that we will be praying for you and the entire family tonight and tomorrow.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Jeri)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I joined DG in May of 2007 but didn't really do much on it until the fall. I found the MS forum and became a part of this wonderful group. Kathy Ann invited me up in November of 2007 (in fact it was the week-end after Thanksgiving) to browse through her greenhouse. Buddy and I drove up to her place and she loaded me up with plants. I was amazed at her generosity but it didn't take me long to realize that she has a very generous nature! She was the first DG-er whom I met in person. I, too, attended Debra's RU in May, 2008, and there I met those of you who were able to attend. From that time on, I was hooked on DG and my new-found gardening friends. Buddy and I attended the RU at Terrye's in October, 2008, as many of you did, too. You may remember that it was just a month later that Buddy died suddenly of a massive brain hemorrhage. You all responded with amazing love and even more generosity and I will never forget it.

Genna, I thought that was a Jewel of Opar as well but I see that Charlotte has already ID'd it for you. I just love them because of the little jewel-like flowers on the stalk. Actually, they are more like beads than they are flowers. Unfortunately, mine did not come back this spring.
I just love sunflowers, too. We have quite a few that came up voluntarily from the seeds the birds missed this past winter.

Here are some photos of a few of my recent blooms:

Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sorry wrote the wrong day but the right time to say a little prayer . Jeri I love you my dear but I think you know that.

I finally found some one to help get this jungle under control. Can't say that he knew exactly what he was doing always but I had too many plants anyway. I hope by this time next year to reduce the amount of beds I have . It has taken 180 bales of pine straw with out doing the driveway beds. I can't keep them up anymore and can't rake that much pine straw anymore either. Nice to see it clean and under control for a little while.

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

Looks so nice, Cindy, glad you found some help ! faith has been helping me some this week, she worked outside with me all day Monday, we went shopping yesterday I brought home a pile of tomatoes and she helped me with all the inside stuff I had to do today. Charity wants to read a book or watch TV and that is it. She did do inside chores while she was here while I worked outside. We did 19 quart jars and one pint of tomatoes today, have probably 7-8 more quarts to do tomorrow .
Cindy, do you have anything in the daylily pen now?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That does look nice Cindy!! I love pine straw as mulch. You just don't see bales of it around here. You're in the middle of pine tree country so I'm sure it's much more plentiful around you.
I need to do some work outside but just haven't gotten around to it. My neighbor across the street's mother has been here all week. She and her husband come frequently. They live in Alabama. She is a plant person too and also a day lily person. I had a day lily she really wanted a piece of and a few other things I have. I got out early one morning and got those for her and pulled up another ton of that mulberry weed! I have a bunch of stuff I need to thin out in the back. The toad lily has taken over a walkway I have through the back bed. I need to cut it back and pull some out also. As thick as all that stuff is there must be snakes in there but I haven't seen a snake in several years.
I cut a bunch of hydrangeas to dry also. I always wait until the end of the summer to cut them. They dry best when they are aged. But I had some that were so heavy they were hanging down to the ground and covering other stuff up. I tried to cut the ones that looked the oldest looking. I use them in several places in the house. I need to replace the ones I am using now. They've been around several years and have faded.
I love Asiatic lilies and as my clusters start to open good I've been cutting them and bringing into the house. I have HUGE bouquet of them on the game table. They last forever. Outside I don't get the full pleasure of them. At my store I would keep a bouquet of Asiatic lilies on the checkout counter.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy, everything looks lovely there on your grounds! That's a huge amount of pine straw! I, too, am glad to know you found someone to help you. Like Charlotte says, the pine straw bales aren't readily available around here, either. I don't believe I have seen any pine straw bales for sale in our area. I sure would like to find a source for some, though. We have 3 big pines on our property but that is all we have. The rest are all hardwood trees, mostly oak but also some hickory and others.

Charlotte, I am glad to know that Asiatic lilies will make a lasting bouquet. We have quite a few of those but I have not cut any of the blooms to bring inside. I will keep that in mind when they bloom next year. How do you dry your hydrangeas? Do you hang them upside down in a cool, dark place or do you put them in a preserving solution of some kind?

As Cindy said, let's be remembering Jeri and her family especially today. Cameron's memorial service is this afternoon.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Cindy, your beds (and your whole yard) look gorgeous! I know what you mean about keeping it up though. I had some guys come out and do exactly the same thing this spring. I didn't replace as much of my pine straw last year and really should have but didn't have time to rake it and put it out. This year I think we had 140 bales and I put Preen out on top of it when they were done so the weeds have been much more manageable this year. Next year I'm just going to call them again and have them come do it. I'm getting too old and don't have the time while I'm still working to do it all.

Charlotte, your Lowe's or HD may have pine straw. They just keep it in the big trailers they have parked in the lot. When the run out though they don't re-supply though.

Marilyn, thanks for sharing your blooms too. It's so nice to see everything blooming in glory after all the sadness the past few days.

Jeri, Hope you know we're with you in spirit. Lots of love!!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cindy, your yard is so beautiful!! It looks like the pictures came off the magazine pages....... I am glad you found someone to help. Leigh always says I need to "hire some help" but I don't know anyone who would work that hard for a price I could afford. I have not seen pine straw bales in my area either...... are they small bales? Or large like hay bales?

Marilyn, your blooms are beautiful. I was so excited this spring because I thought my purple coneflower was actually coming back.............. (there was a label close to it that said that ) so I moved the label over in front of the plant that was coming back...............turns out it was a balloon plant! LOL....... I broke down and bought another cone flower at lowes the other day. It was only 4.98 and I thought it was really pretty. I doubt it comes back for me, but hopefully I can enjoy it for the summer. My purple phlox from Sandra is blooming as well....... it was really looking pretty but the rain the past two days has beat it down. I just love phlox! I tried to add some more this past spring of other varieties, but the places I ordered from didn't have any available and, of course, neither did the local nurseries..............

Big hugs and prayers for Jeri and her family today..............

They are almost as big as hay bales, Genna. But don't weigh as much. You can handle them easily. Look for a big 18-wheel trailer in the parking lot at Lowe's or HD. The bales are usually in those. Ask at the checkout counter for the price. Mine came from a nursery and the guy got them at the wholesale price.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

The bales are not big like they used to be but not little. Home Depot and Lowes brings them in by the tractor trailer load. That is where I get mine. No one rakes and sells it around here anymore. I used to find places like church parking lots to rake but I am just too old to do all that anymore. Thanks for the compliment on my yard . After all the cleaning and cutting back I have no blooms to look at but maybe later. No Sandra I have completely cleaned out the daylily bed and plan to put some fruit tress in there wher they won't make a mess in the yard, maybe grow a vegetable or two.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sorry Elaine we cross post

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I cut my Asiatic Lilies while there are still a lot of unopened but mature buds on the stem. They will all open. So you end up with a bouquet that really last as you have new blooms opening as the old ones die. Each bloom will last for almost a week. I always pull off the yellow part in the stamen because it will really stain anything it happens to touch.

I just dry my hydrangeas by hanging them upside down in the garage. The secret to drying hydrangeas is using mature ones. If you try to dry them before they are mature and starting to turn colors they will just shrivel up on you.That's why I always wait until a little later in the summer than this to cut some to dry. But the ones I cut were already starting to fade/change color so hopefully they will dry.

Elaine I haven't noticed the pine straw bales at our Home Depot or Lowes and you don't see beds around here with pine straw.

I will be joining you all at 2 in prayer for Jeri and her family.

Ripley, MS

For those of you with FB, Chris and Ashley hosted a candlelight memorial for Cameron at Jeri's last night. There is a video on Jeri's page. Also you can sign the guest book at the funeral home site.

One of my distant cousins was found dead yesterday from an apparent heart attack. Her mom is the only one of my Mamma's first cousins that is still alive. While I haven't been around Lisa in years, I still see her Mom quite often so will probably go to the funeral home when I find out arrangements. She was in her 40's.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra, so sorry to hear about your cousin!

I will go look for the memorial to Cameron. Thanks for letting us know.

I don't get to Lowes or HD that often, but I have never seen them there before.......... I have pines back behind my house but I am afraid I will find lots of ticks and possibly snakes if I went to try to rake it. Plus it has tons of limbs and debris in it - not the best place to be trying to rake. Don't have any close to my house.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

IMO, it is smart to not rake pine needles to put in your flower beds if you think there is a chance that ticks might come along with the pine needles. I sure don't want a bunch of those nasty critters in my flower beds. We have enough ticks around here as it is--not to mention chiggers. (ask me how I know--:D )
I was thinking the bales of pine needles that you get at Lowe's, etc. would probably be "sterilized" some way in order to kill any critters lurking in them. Just my way of thinking (or hoping). I don't know for sure that the bales are "sterile". I have never seen those trucks parked in the parking lot at either Lowe's or HD but that doesn't mean they haven't been there. It just means they weren't there when I was there. Are we all confused now? LOL

Charlotte, thanks for the info on the lilies and how to dry the hydrangeas. I wonder if I could dry some of the oak leaf hydrangeas that have turned the dark pink. It would be great to have a permanent bouquet of those!

Sandra, so sorry about your cousin! there is sooo much sadness this week! :(

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I would wait a little longer to dry your hydrangeas. They need to be really mature or they will just wilt. I cut some now just because I had to. They were so heavy they were covering up some things that needed some light. I dry hydrangeas every year. They will last for several years after they are dried. I have a vase that I always keep dried hydrangeas in. The real key is waiting until they are very mature (almost dry on the bush).

Marilyn the first picture is of some hydrangeas that I dried and are several years old. I'm going to throw these away and replace with fresh ones this year. The second picture of of the ones I'm drying now. They were really blue when they first open. They have faded a lot and are changing colors. They need to be faded before you cut the. The petals even have a thicker texture than when they first bloomed. You can see a piece of brighter blue that is not going to dry. The third picture is what happens when you cut them too soon. I would not have cut this one ordinarily. It needed to wait several more weeks. So that's why I said wait a few more weeks on yours otherwise that is what will happen. I've dried hydrangeas every year for 30 years or so.

Edited to say the bundle I'm drying has too many in the bundle. Since this was just some I felt were iffy I just stuck them all together. I'll dry some others later. Sometimes I don't actually bundle them. I just put them loosely in a basket or something large while they dry. Sometimes I've actually just stuck them in a vase and they them dry.

Sandra I'm sorry to hear about your cousin also. There has been so much sadness this week.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2014 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is my bouquet of Asiatic Lilies. This will be the last bouquet as they are through blooming. Excuse the stuff under the flowers. It's stuff that I'm taking to the antique booth. Stuff everywhere! This is the spot I always put flowers. They are on the round table in the sun room area. I have several halogen spot lights that are directed to the top of the table.
I love the vase they are in. I've had it for about 20 years. It's 12 1/2 inches tall and the glass is about a half inch thick which makes it very heavy. Just a tall cylinder. It's the perfect vase for glads, lilies and other tall flowers. It's heavy enough that there is no chance of it tipping over/.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra thinking of your family .
Charlotte your bouquet is beautiful mine all bloomed out long ago .

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Charlotte, that bouquet is beautiful! I don't have many asiatics I don't think..............need to add some I guess. Didn't know they would stay like that in a vase! I am have been so amazed at the zinnias and how they last and last and last in a vase! So nice to be able to enjoy them for a long time.

Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of my Mom's death.........and I have really had a hard time with it this year. It always bothers me - but this week has been worse and i think it is just from all the emotions that have been opened up due to all the sadness this week. I think it really bothers me to know how great the pain is and to know that others that I care a lot about are having to experience that same pain. :( Although, I know it is something we all have to experience in life - some days are just harder than others.

Cindy, have ya'll had quite a bit of rain down your way too? Everything in your photos looks so lush and green. We have had rain here the past two days - although just light rains both days - but everything seems to appreciate the moisture.

BTW, Cindy and Charlotte...... Jessica has a brown wooden desk (stained desk) that we are going to paint for her on campus apartment. Can ya'll suggest a sequence of what we need to do? Do we need to sand the finish that is there lightly so the paint will adhere? I think she is going to paint it is a plum color..............we haven't been to pick out paint yet - but she has several things that are turqoise/teal colors and she wants the desk to be different. Plus, her bedding has a lot of plum in it as well. Thought ya'll might offer some suggestions on how to proceed since ya'll do so much painting. Do you usually put some type of clear finish over your paint? or use different layers of paint to get a distressed look? Suggestions appreciated......thanks!!

It has been a rough week for me because my allergies are giving me fits - but I haven't been able to take any medicines because I am going for allergy testing this afternoon. Looking forward to finding out how many things I am allergic to and if shots might help...... and also looking forward to getting some antihistimines back in my system so I can feel better ^_^

Have a blessed day everyone!

Genna

Sandra, I'm so sorry about your cousin. That must have been a shock.

Genna, I know what you mean about your Mom. It seems like this past week's events have brought memories back of our own families even stronger. And yes, some days are worse than others, even years later, as Marilyn and others have said. I hope your allergy testing goes well and you get to the bottom of what's bothering you. I had that done a few years back and it was eye-opening what was and wasn't really triggering mine. Some stronger than others I had suspected.

Charlotte, your lily bouque is beautiful! thanks for sharing that today.

We went to the Beach Boys concert last night. I'm kinda dragging today at work but will make it through because it's Friday! I bought Earl VIP tickets for our anniversary last month and it was really enjoyable. There was another couple there we knew too so it was really fun. We got to meet and greet 2 members and had our photo made with Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. Then sat in on part of their soundcheck session. Then we went to get something to eat before the concert. It was really a lot of fun and great music. John Stamos is a guest performer for this tour and he's really talented and easy on the eyes!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, your bouquet of dried hydrangeas is certainly pretty! Thanks for the information on how to dry them. The Asiatic lilies are gorgeous, too!

Genna: sorry about your bad week due to allergies and also your mom's death anniversary. Those anniversaries are always hard. My son was killed on Mother's Day 1981, which was May 10th that year. Even though Mother's Day is always on a different date each year, it is still a sad reminder for me even though it has been 33 years since he died. Yes, our peeps have had enough sadness for one week this past week. :'(

Al and I went to Mountain Home yesterday. While we were at Lowe's we "noticed" (how could we not notice--they had signs everywhere LOL) that they were having a plant sale. We picked up a hardy hibiscus and an Illustris EE.
Here is the Illustris. The second photo shows a honey bee on a coneflower. Al says it is an Italian honey bee. He used to have bee hives when he lived in the St. Louis area. He says the Italian honey bees aren't as aggressive as the German honey bees. Who knew? :D At any rate, I was thrilled to actually see a honey bee as they have been in great peril in the last few years due to over spraying by farmers. The third photo is a raspberry salvia; 4th photo is a phlox which Sandra gave me; 5th photo is a "bloom" of another kind--Callie the Calico Cat

Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Elaine--we crossed! How nice to see the Beach Boys AND John Stamos! I didn't know that John is a singer, too. Guess I just keep up with him nowadays on those yogurt commercials--LOL.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I miss my parents and brother but the anniversary of their deaths do not brother me as much as other reminders. I have never been one to remember dates. I can remember birthdays but other dates just kind of go over my head. I can tell you the month but not the exact date. It's not an age thing! I've always been that way. Just don't clutter up my brain with dates and numbers. Richard can tell you his telephone numbers and addresses as far back as he goes. I couldn't begin to!

Genna I always clean my piece before painting. I use TSP or liquid deglosser (usually just TSP).. I don't sand unless I'm going to refinish the top which I sometimes do. I don't use latex paint. So to distress I sand the edges and other spots after the paint has dried good.. I also use dark wax to give a distressed look. Some people dry brush paint on top of paint. I've just never been fond of that technique. You can't sand latex paint it will just peel and leave edges that are easy to peel. I use chalkpaint and when you sand it comes off smooth and you just get a worn appearance. She just needs to go online and do some googling to figure what look she wants and how to do it.

Marilyn I need to send you some of my honey bees!!! I have them everywhere. We also have several hives at our garden area.

We got another really good rain late yesterday. We had lots of lightening and heavy rain. Flood warning were out.
Elaine what a fun night!!! I know you all had a great time.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

This is a piece I'm working on now. Just need to wax. You can see how the paint sands down without leaving any rough edges. Just has a worn look. Regular latex paint will not do that. That's why people dry brush over it to give a distressed look. Just depends on what look you like best.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, we have at least two beekeepers in our county but they both are several miles from us. I don't see many honey bees here in our immediate area although we do have lots of bumblebees and wasps and dirt daubers. That's why I was so excited to actually see a honey bee on one of the flowers. I have told Al that he should start being a beekeeper again. He had bee hives for several years before he retired but he got rid of all his hives and other bee equipment when he moved down here.
Also, what is chalk paint and where do you get it? The piece in the photo above is very pretty. I've done some furniture refinishing in the distant past but it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis. I admire both you and Cindy for doing what you do with your booths and the furniture that you re-do.
Here's a couple more photos:

Thumbnail by marsue Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't like to refinish furniture. I do like to paint it. I have a really nice Davis furniture vanity now. Looks like a small desk but the center flips up and there is a mirror inside. Davis is a really good old brand of furniture. This piece was in excellent condition except for the top. The top looked cloudy and had lots of dings in the finish. I really thought it would look best as it was rather than being painted. So I took the finish off the top and of course accidentally dropped a little remover on two drawers so I had to refinish those two drawer fronts also. I was really pleased with the way it turned out. I was able to match the finish exactly! Sheer luck and having done this so much I'll try anything.

A lot of antique malls carry the chalk paint. I paint a lot of off white because that's what sells best for me. It gets sort of boring but I've overheard people shopping in my booth say I really like that piece but I wish it were white. White always sells faster for me. So I mainly stick with the neutral colors. They also like the distressed look.

I'm trying to get a lot of pieces painted for my new booth. Going to put all off white furniture in it to begin with. Not sure when they are going to open the new side but I'm guessing the first of Aug. I had bought a bunch of oil paintings someone did. I thought they used really nice colors and the subject matter was pleasant but the frames they were in really distracted from the paintings. I repainted a bunch of them this afternoon. I'll take pictures and show a few. I used chalkpaint on them and tried to pick up colors in the paintings.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here are the frames. They were all solid dark wood that just overpowered the painting.

Jeri still thinking about you and praying for you!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2014 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I posted to your FB but just wanted to say here how much I'm thinking of you and the road you and your family must travel.

Unlike some of you I have very little experience with death although I guess everyone has some sort of experience with it. I did read a book years ago called 'when life is changed forever' and I found a lot of good advice in there about how to help someone who is grieving.

Marilyn your story reminded me of the 3 year old girl in my sunday school class that drowned - she was found floating in her family's pool the Friday before mother's day and she died the night before Father's day (she was never going to recover and although they turned off life support on 5/31 she lived another 17 days) she would have been 18 this year and for years as mother's day approached I just felt sad and that would last all the way thru father's day. Often I would find myself thinking about her parents and what they must be feeling. We were not friends so it was inappropriate for me to contact them but it is strange how your mind just remembers those times. I think I could just feel her parents sadness and I guess you can't really imagine how hard it is but I would just spend days thinking how awful it must be to suddenly have that light go out in your life. I did finally contact her mom last year via facebook just a quick note to tell her that her little girls death had impacted the way I viewed life and the decisions I made about my own kids and grandkids. I wanted her to know that it had changed me in a good way even while it was such a tragedy. She wrote back a very sweet note and seemed genuinely please to hear from me so I guess it was a good thing.

To all of you who have experienced that type of sorrow my heart goes out to you!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Tthanks, Karen, for your kind words and for sharing that story. I am sure that mother was really grateful that you contacted her and let her know how much you had been impacted by her child's death.

Charlotte, those are all very nice paintings but I especially like the lighthouse. I can see how the darker wood frames would have overpowered the paintings.

Ripley, MS

You all are so smart with all the painting and renewing of the older things. Still even better you make money on it! I am amazed by all the pretty projects you do. I think Bonnie has opened up a booth of some kind in Memphis. I am not sure if it is hers or she shares with a friend.

We are taking it easy this week end, Faith and I have worked all week, so we are just going to relax, going shopping later today, faith has her eye on a chair at the Dollar General store. It is 25.00. I told her Tues when she found it to think about it until Sat and if she still wanted to buy it, I would take her to get it. She still wanted it last night so I am sure she isn't going to back down today. It is something crazy looking that has like macramé cord across a frame.
Then pizza for tonight ! I cooked enough yesterday so Mammaw will have plenty to munch on through the week end. She can't eat pizza, it hurts her, so while she has plenty we will enjoy some.
The cousin of mine that died is having visitation tonight and burial tomorrow. They did an autopsy since she was found dead at home. Pat said she wasn't going and didn't think I should either. It will be one of those you have to stand in line for hours for and we just can't do that. She said we would go by and see Annie when things settle down. She was a dental hygienist in another town and very active in her church and community and since it has been so many day the word has spread far and wide. I am sure Annie is so distraught she will have lots of hard days to come, Lisa was her baby and only daughter of 4 children. She is 86 and has had cancer surgery on her face several mo this ago. They had to do a second surgery so she has had a pretty hard time herself lately. Lisa was 47

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.