What's happening in your neck of the woods - May 2014

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, I have 2 Round Robins done, and now 3 more to do.......

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Don't know how you ladies do that .. I'd be so lost ...
I'm hardly evr home. plus I'm a complete DITZ at crafty stuff ..

Sounds as though Betty is having a wonderful trip to the Southern US (Texas)

Aweosme summer weather here, finally ..

TTFN

~M~

HAPPY LOooooooooooooooooooooNG Weekend everyone !!!

Have heard 'rumblings' that the gov't MIGHT change the name from the 'CIVIC HOLIDAY' to
"TERRY FOX HOLIDAY WEEKEND' or 'FOX WEEKEND' for short .. I think that'd be marvelous !!
Hadn't realized Terry was born in July of 1958 in WINNIPEG .. I had thought he was from BC from the git go, but, his family didn't move there until 1966.

avery warm here with a cool lake breeze, once I've hung out my bed linens I'll startt some gardening, or not ^_^

ENJOY

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaaaaay Winnipeg - yes, he was born there (my home town, too!)
yeah, let them callit "Terry Fox Holiday Weekend"....... people will shorten it to what they want to, regardless of what the gov't wants anyway. BUT, it should be on the "books" with the full name.

at the end of this long weekend, we're going CAMPING!!

Happy camping Susan :-)

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Taking a break from packing the RV - Bob's out there, working diligently away!
I get to pack all the food :-)
It's some rain storm out there. During my "wee break" I nodded off on the couch, and BOOM/CRASH the thunder HIT!! Woke me up with a start, it was so loud....... good thing we have the RV on our parking pad, so it's not much of a run out to bring stuff out.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

WHICH government? The holiday has a different name in each province, I think.

We are in Vancouver, but spent a couple of days at a family reunion in Chilliwack. Head back to Ottawa tomorrow and I'm back at Chamberfest on Wednesday.

I am thinking it might be 're named' Provincially as I doubt the Feds would do it ..
Each Province could chose to rename it if they saw fit .. I kinda like the idea.

BRISK morning... 9C !!!!

I see from another thread that Betty is home from the U.S. ^_^

Best go close some windows to keep this cool air inside ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi all - back from camping last night - it was an "interesting" 5 days...
1. water leaking from the RV and we didn't know from where, so used the big blue jugs for water
2. I closed the window at the side, and it shattered into a million pieces (tempered glass). It stayed in the window frame, for the most part, and the next day Bob used duct tape to hold it in, and then plastic sheeting to hold it for when we drove home yesterday
3. Woke up the first morning (Tues) to find we didn't have coffee, so Bob walked an hour to the nearest "trading post" and then an hour back - bought coffee and a dozen eggs. He was exhausted when he got back to the campground
4. on our last night, Saturday, I climbed into bed, and it "gave" a little bit...ie: Broke! Bob propped up the bed at the corner, with a piece of firewood (appropriately sized) to hold it. In the morning, he took apart the bed (it's a couch, that you "flip" open to make a bed and one of the supports had come away from the wall.
Today, the previous owner (Peter) came by to help us determine why the water was leaking from the RV. Turns out to be from the toilet area. We can do without a toilet (the campground has a wonderful "main" toilet/shower room and several "outhouses" so we'd be ok without a toilet in the RV).
Bob's going to take the toilet apart during the week, cuz we're heading out again on Sept 5th. Peter says it should be very inexpensive to fix.

Welcome back Susan .. hope the fixes aren't too expensive ..

We have RAIN, glorious RAIN here this morning, and overnight .. the gardens will bloom and prosper now .. the cucumbers have loads of flowers, and, last night we had vine ripened tomatoes .. I can't eat many tomatoes .. I like them, but, the acid in them dislikes me !

Off to the prosthetist with Lorna this morning, hopefully he can tweak her prosthesis so that she can walk better ..

Hope everyone is well

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the welcome back
I hope Lorna gets straightened around with her prosthetic.!

I took some vine-ripened tomatoes with us camping...... glorious to be able to pick my own, from our deck :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine here today, lawn/gardens need rain!!!

That is some trip Susan, am sure the fun tmes made up for the problem times seeing as you are going again and yes with Bob being so handy likely repairs won't be that much.

Prayers for Lorna, know how badly she wants to continue working..when does she stop for the year..October?

Next year Susan I'm promising myself to plant cucumbers and tomatoes somewhere..nothing like making a fresh sandwhich..now I'm hungry.

Haven't cooked for a week, been eating supper with mom at the Residence..smilling as I'm sure some residents think I live there. Sure wish I could convince her to spend September there as well but doubtful.

Her sister Muriel offered her to share her apartment for a month or so but I think the constant gabbing would put mom over the edge.

Maybe a hint here and there, keep her room at the Reisence, visit her brother and Aunt Muriel for a few days each week and then go back for a rest.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We love camping, end of............!! We're certainly in a much more comfortable situation than we were in a tent lol and much quicker to get ready and take down!! Saves on a lot of growling at each other LMAO

Update on the RV - I spoke to a service manager, who says that maybe Bob running the air compressor last year (to get the last vestiges of water out of the lines for over-the-winter) may have "popped" one of the lines and it may be as simple as putting it back (by Bob). What a cheap "fix" that would be!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning

Stormed passed through yesterday afternoon, Thought the sky had emptied but wrong, rain again today..fall is in the air

Well Susan, was the serviceman right, did Bob manage to repair the rv??
Are you stll enjoying work? And bob?

"M" how is Lorna since the tweak on her prosthesis ? Is your nausea any better?

COoooooooooool her today, able to open all the windows and let all those microscopic allergens play havoc with us, BUT, the house says, "HEY, thank you for the breath of fresh air"!
Rain woul be appreciated in small GENTLE amounts ..

Lorna's visit to the prosthetist has given me a 'job' .. Non Insured Health Benefits', commonly referred to as ' Indian Affairs' (now politically incorrect) is NOT going to fund Lorna anymore !
It's like they're angry with her for showing that she CAN hold her own in the work force, and do a darned good job !!
The prosthetist is angry, and is writing a letter of complaint .. once I have his copy I will be writing letters to MPPS and MPs explaining the stupidity of NIHB .. one MPP Gord spoke with at the Sportmans Show is quite interested in having the data and going to NIHB for Lorna ..
My brain seems to have stagnated .. I compose the letter in my mind, but, to put it down on paper .. well .. differenet matter completely ..
BUT .. the tweaks were successful :-)
I don't know if I have mentioned this before, Lorna is the FIRST client of thie prosthetist who has gone 'all the way' from an above knee amputation, through rehab and back to work .. and .. he has and has had hundreds of clients.

Best get back to cleaning

Hope everyone is fine .. missing Carol .. but, she gets to meet Robin Williams in person ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I agree, Marilynne - missing Carol too........ esp when I look at the peony I planted, in her honour.....

That's nasty that Lorna, who is trying to keep in the workforce as a productive member of society, should be penalized for it! Do they really want her to be lazy and live off the government all the time? Help her when she needs it, and let her do for herself when she can!!!!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Crows are singing up a storm, overcast so perhaps they are telling me bad weather ahead..they sure don't sound happy!

See fields of Canada geese gathering so must be in prep for flight

Fall is upon us.

Did mega work in the gardens yesterday but just touched the surface, had hoped to get out there and clean the limbs/debris but waiting to see what becomes of the day.

Do have to pick up mom at noon, do lunch, take her shopping then home..hard being the only sibbling in the area, means I get to visit daily...big sigh

Hoping it's a sunshine day in your neck of the woods

Dull day here, hoping to get out to fo the property some more ..
However, rain would be nice for the veggie garden!

Hope you have a good day with your Mom Betty .. slow and easy !!

I'm still in the ITCHY mess, but, it's getting better. NO MORE QUININE for me !!!

Off n running

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Did enjoy the outing "M" weather was superb!
Should be out enjoying the sunshine but suddenly have an urge for hot bath, pain mesas and bed.

Shouldn't have counted my chickens before they hatched .. still red and itchy with at least another few days to a week of it ahead of me ..

Had the biggest, worst, most horrible, mind altering, nerve rattling experience today ..
Was sitting quietly playing Scrabble at the kitchen table, the dogs were in their various areas of the house sleeping and, i noticed a 'twig' on the floor, about 15' from me .. I thought I best pick it up or one of the dogs would track it in further, got up, went about 5' and FROZE .. it was a GIGANTIC SPIDER .. and I am NOT exaggerating!! I literally let out a curdling muffled scream .. I SO did nOT want the dogs to see it .. as it was, they were behind me in awe as well .. I grabbed a broom and killed the spider. it took several blows, and I now need a NEW broom .. but, it's dead ..
I am TERRIFIED of SPIDERS.. I have seen 'dock spiders' and they're grandiose .. but, this puppy was as wide across as my hand, and with LOOooooooooooong legs !!
Now I keep wondering if he had a partner!! OR .. gawd forbid .. eggs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh life in the country !!!

Stay well .. Dahlia's will soon bloom

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don't blame you for shutting, I thought I heard a sound from the north! Lol
Is the itching getting the least bit better?
Was warm this a.m. But the wind is up and it's dropped at least 10 degrees.
Imagine, shut off a/c to turn on the furnace

Mom is away from the residence for a few days, had hooe she would travel over the weekend so I wouldn't have to go visit but no, she left this aft for a few days..oh well, a bit of rest.

Just had a bath, corn cooking, going to spray myself with 535ice, take a pain killer and lay down..don't think there is no bone n my body that isn't aching

Drats, did blocks today and packaged them in rows for Halloween pumpkin throws..thought I might sew for a bit tonight but that was wishful thinking

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I had a lovely phone call from a friend of mine. She's moving house after 64 years of living with her parents, then her mom alone. Her mom's gone into a nursing home (this spring) and now Marlene cannot handle the upkeep of such a large house, so she's moving into a basement suite of a home her nephew owns. Imagine moving 64 years worth of "stuff"...
Anyway, the reason she called is to ask if I want her weaving loom & warp loom! She says it's beautiful wood (I haven't seen it, but Bob has and he's the one who told her I might want it). I DO!! We'll go tomorrow night to pick it up. It's about 5' Bob says... dunno where we'll put it, in a mobile home ... oh well lol I'll find a place!! Apparently there is a Weaving Guild I could join and they would help me figure out how to put it together... it's in pieces, but all the pieces are "together" in one place. I'm excited to see it!!

Susan .. good luck with the weaving loom and warp loom .. there's a 'Weaving Guild' here in Thunder Bay, I do think the craft is somewhat popular ..
With Thunder Bay having 'Old Fort William' .. all the blankets and some other things are woven re the authenticity policy ..

Hope everyone has a perfect holiday weekend .. we have a country fair to attend, some gardening to do, and, just enjoying the lovely fall weather .. ALREADY ..FALL !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Do they have lots of craft items being judged at the fair "M"?

Imagine, seems like yesterday we were talking spring and here we are in the early throws of fall at least weather wise.

There is a guild here as well, hope you get some help from your friend as to how to use it..large frame to store if you don't use it.

Nothing planned for the long weekend, like it that way but have the sudden urge to take a ride to Meaford and dothe little shops

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've been lurking most of the summer but haven't commented much. Been keeping a bit more than busy. We were out to Vancouver over the long August weekend. There was a reunion of DH's cousins in Chilliwack and we wanted to see the progress on DD's new house.

Just last weekend, we took the Ottawa twins to Vancouver DD's inlaws' cottage which is NE of Dorset, ON on Kawagama Lake. About 35 minute drive from Dorset and the last several KM are really rough road. The first two times we visited, the cottage was accessible by boat only. DD and family were there and last Sunday was a lovely sunny day and we all collected vitamin D and sunburns in the lake in spite of sunscreen. Water was cold at first but with the sun the top 6 inches was nice and warm. And either we got numb or we got used to it. I was able to stay in for half an hour at a time. But the kids were in and out of the deckside sauna.

LOL ViolaAnn .. sounds like taking a swim in Lake Superior .. I do think we get very NUMB and then feel none of the chill of the water .. sounds like you had a wonderful time ..

Fall Fairs are starting here, unbelievable as that sounds .. planning on attending a couple (or at least one) this weekend.

Weather is cool and damp at present .. Lorna's folks will be coming for a visit towards the end of the month .. just for a week ..

Thought my 'itchies' had diminished, but, kinda 'tingly' today, and, scratching :-(

Think I'll have a cuppa

TOODLES

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Very busy summer for you ViolaAnn..

Dorset is beautiful, great place to enjoy down time..nothing like spending time with the grands.
We're you able to maintain the hosta gardens?

Had hoped "M" that you would be itch free by now. Drats and more drats

Seems like Lorna's parents were just with you??

Hope you see something interesting at the fall fair..looking for new ideas, so, keep main mind

Went downstairs to see for a bit but back is acting up so up and down, cutting/sewing may not be in today's plans, had hoped to get a few fall pieces finished but body says otherwise

Lorna's parents were here in June .. so, a quick turn around .. but, happily the visits are enjoyable ..

There will be a quilt booth at the Fair, will take pics fer sure, and ALWAYS crafts by the bunch ..

Still lingering at home .. have read Saturday;s paper and learned of the death of 2 friends (from the past), and, a colleagues Mom ... feel down in the dumps about all that ..

Best pick myself up and get going here ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

yep, sometimes one just has to dust onself off and give ourselves a shake regardless of how we feel.

I did get some pics of quilts at the Fair, am sure not that good though as they had them 'presented behind 'chicken wire' .. gott a luv country living LoL

Saw our eye doc today, all A OK .. am getting new glasses though as my eyes have changed in 2 years .. pricey proposition that !!

Skin is still itchy and shedding .. really quite the deal :-(

Betty, hope all is well with you ..

Adios

~M~

Just sharing this website .. feeling proud to be part of this Canadian heritage .. some wonderful women !!!

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/those-who-served/women-and-war/history/homefront

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks for the link "M"
Off to read it.

Sure is a glorious fall day ut rain coming tomorrow so best do what I have to do in town then home to get things done outside.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ah yes, Canadian women were called to fill roles of all kinds - expanded traditional (mom & dad) to roles that were DEFINITELY not traditional........... too bad they were called to give them up when the men came back home cuz they "weren't wormen's jobs"!!

Hi - just got home from Dr's.......... what I thought was a major pain in my foot is actually a very "pedestrian" issue (yes, it's an intended pun lol)........ a Bunion, for pete's sake! Mind you, and inflamed one, but still....... how very very very ordinary!! Two codeine pills wouldn't touch the pain, and you gotta know (for me) that that's a lot....... one will normally take care of my pain, and two will put me OUT. Didn't touch the pain, or affect me at all.

Heading out camping again this w/e (Friday afternoon), so need to do some cushion covers for the RV - very easy, I guess....... IF I have enuff material lol

oh, and the weather has gone from snow storm and freezing (some poooooor gardens are ruined) to 77F here today....... we're back to a cool, and sunny, summer

Victoria Harbour, ON

Cool side here this morning, just a few degrees lower than the norm..Hated this morning putting on a jacket.

Susan, how is the pain this morning, hoping you have it under control

I'll get one more touch of summer when I'm in Florida next month then back to reality with the white stuff on its way.

Oh well, sooner it comes the sooner it's done with.

Do need to work in the gardens this weekend, they need to be out to bed

We have had the 'F" word here twice .. but, NOT to ground .. just on roof tops ..
Pretty basically though, days of warmth and relaxation are moving inside.
The fire pit is getting a work out, and there is lots of deadfall to feed it.

My over a month long brush with 'Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome' continues .. I now am having a side effect that involves my left eye .. bottom lid .. have a HUGE fissure on it, and it is SORE .. I have an antibiotic ung to use, but may have to be seen by ANOTHER genius!
How frustrating is it putting your health care into the hands of people who SORT OF KNOW about what your dealing with ..

Lorna's folks arrive Sept 28 for a week, and hopefully Lorna will be done work .. they are MORE than happy with her, and have asked her to stay on for a bit longer ..

Best get moving here

Stay well everyone

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes Betty - pain killers are helping. Not happy about taking so much, but....... there ya go!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg "M" thought it was all but behind you..sorry you are still having troubles

Susan, not like you take a lot, they are just to get you over the hump

Sun is finally out

Analgesics work when ya need 'em ^_^

This allergic reaction will go on for 2 months (or more)
Unreal I tell ya .. I am some humbled by the power of drugs !!
Doesn't matter if you are someone who tolerates them, ONE comes along, and, POOF, your immune system is in a turmoil.

Fell today .. vacuuming .. am FINE !!!
Year check up tomorrow :-)

Night night

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Brrrr only 42 this morning

Hear Geralton had snow during the night and more to come
Wonder if it's earlier than normal??

Hope your 1 year appt goes well "M" despite your fall

You were lucky indeed

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well well well........ went to my chiropractor cuz I thot I put my hip out, climbing out of the car at an awkward angle. Turns out I sprained my sacroiliac! The pain meds helped me through that, and the adjustment fixed the rest. Feeling much better - walking normally lol Other than getting out of the car, I'd done nothing else to cause it, so the Dr is puzzled. Anyway, I'm feeling fine now.

Still working on cushions for the Motorhome, cuz we head out this weekend.

Don't think I'm long for this job...... One of the congregation that has been helping me out is a former CFO and he's not happy with the job I'm doing..... Oh well - not the first time I've been out of work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.