What's happening in your neck of the woods - May 2014

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Am thinking that winter is over, or we certainly hope so. And maybe it's time for a new thread as well.

If you want to look back at where we've been, you'll find us at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1349158/

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Victoria Harbour, ON

May, April showers brings May flowers..

Morning, thanks for moving us over ViolaAnn.

Can only hope winter is beind us..

ViolaAnn how did your gardens/hosta's fare the winter?

So much rain, more expected over the next week, hoping it doesnt rot what is coming up.

Had gotten the gardens all done, lponds up and running, tree branches picked up and with the high winds this week much more to be done..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Have barely been in the gardens and too much rain now. I DID buy a bunch of ammonia to douse the hostas with when it stops raining ammonia1:water 10. DH dug my pots out of the pile of unscreened compost in the veggie garden and some of them are starting to come up. It's been too wet to get around to the others but when it dries out I expect to see lots of hostas poking up. Spring bulbs are coming up, but many of my crocuses were blind; so I bought some low nitrogen granular fertilizer and sprinkled lots of it in the gardens.

Big massed handbell concert this weekend. If any of you are in Ottawa for Sunday, it's at Rideau Park United at 7 pm and it's free though there will be a free-will offering. My group is doing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on our own and there are a couple of massed pieces.

Last night was the FC Silver Jubilee AGM.

Victoria Harbour, ON

As always you are one busy lady Ann

Hmmm, do you spray the hosta's with that mixture..never heard of it before
Look forward to your answer as it won't be long mine will be peeping out.

Rita who has stayed with me last 6 months while her place was under construction will be moving shortly, she and Darlene who also bought a home, sold hers and couldn't take some hostas would like some of mine

Maybe I should dowse mine as well

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That mixture, if applied before the hostas emerge and if applied all around the plant as well, will kill off any slugs at any stage of their development including the eggs..

Victoria Harbour, ON

thank you very much Ann

so as soon as I see them peeping through I should do it...good to know

will it work on any other tree/plant do you think?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Hiya ..

Best of times with your concert Ann .. sounds like it will be wonderful .. Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" would/should be everyones favourite .. ^_^

Trying to come to grips with a spring that wants to SPRING .. but, is sorely lacking in effort ..
Hens and Chicks are up, and other things are happening .. but .. I am guarded !

Wedding tomorrow .. a 'same sex' wedding .. first for me .. I think it'll be awesome .. we'll see ..

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dreary and cold here. Brrrr

Put the dehumidifier on in hopes some of the dampness will leave.

Lots of growth, so wish I could play in the gardens..is your snow all gone?

Is it tonight you have Piper's birthday cake? Now I've gone made myself hungry for sweets.

I've not been to a same sex wedding, enjoy!

Can't seem to rid myself of this headache, maybe a hot bath then nap might help.

Verona, ON

Agree with M about Cohen's "Hallelujah"" but K.D, Lang's version is excellent too. Hope the concert goes well for you.

Thanks for the new 'room' Ann.

Well Diesel managed to bolt right by me and do his rock and roll routine in the fresh but very wet dirt in a garden bed. Second time this week. Good thing I have a hot water tap outside. He has such a good time I can't get angry. It is just a tad difficult to hose down a 160 lb dog by yourself.

Spring just doesn't want to start here either. The wind off the lake is bitter today.Yesterday I went out between rain falls and attempted to rake. I have crocus and I think 4 tulips poking through and that it is. Getting concerned about some of my plants. I have a big job ahead of me getting all the flower beds cleaned out as well as the yard. It is my own fault as I have left the gardens on their own the 2 years since Warren passed.

Susan how is the new job going?

Betty, Darlene is in her new house, right?

Dianne

Victoria Harbour, ON

I also am a fan of kid lang's version.dont think she got acclaim that she deserves as an artist.

You will be amazed Dianne just how much they are growing underneath that cover of white..irate there no young ones in the area to help you out? Did 75% of mine but it sure was nice when young Noah came to help.

How smart you were to have hot water installed for outside.

Yes, Darlene moved in late fall, loves it. That being said she wasn't thrilled when she got home from Florida and found ice build up and water damage..apparently cheap products used, builder to make repairs.

Rita who has been living here sice thanksgiving will likely move next weekend..contractors will be done end of next week..her bed was delivered today, appliances Tuesday..she is not noisy, I've loved having her here so I will be sad when she leaves.

Luckily neither Darlene or Rita have moved far.

Tomorrow my sister is suppose to drive down from Orangeville, anniversary of my dad's death so we will make a visit to penetang cemetery.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob loves his job - they really like HIM there
my job is going very well, too
Winter? over??? not so's you can tell here........ we're to get snow tonight, and a major snow tomorrow, too......

Got rear-ended tonight, coming home from work - I'm fine, and so's the car. Car behind me got hit by a car behind her...... last car has hood crumpled, middle car has scratched rear bumper, and mine has a scratch with barely 2 dimes's worth of paint chipped off.... more a scratch sized dent - about 8" long

Still in the season of 'SPRINTER' here in Thunder Bay .. seems the weather can't decide whichaway it wants to go .. right now it is ikky, rainy cool and dreary .. but, I sure hope your snow doesn't show up Susan ..

Great news re Bill and you and the jobs .. so HAPPY ^_^

Speaking of HAPPY .. that song has totally engulfed our city .. it's played a lot on all stations and I for the life of me, can't stop singing it or tapping my feet when I hear it ..

Here's the link .. enjoy and SMILE :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

HAPPY to hear you weren't injured in the fender bender Susan ..

Busy here with laundry etc .. leaving for the wedding around 3:30pm, the ceremony is at 4:30pm .. all out this way in the country ..

Take care everyone ..

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

My ringers did themselves proud this evening after a rehearsal that didn't go well at all. :-)

I've probably shared this with you before, but this is the bell arrangement we played and everyone loved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXZIbBSu70

Just lovely Ann!
The outfits are very nice as well, but, the piece played is just excellent ... BRAVO ^_^
You did Hallelujah proud !!!

I have a sunburn! Spent a lot of time outdoors yesterday raking etc and hadn't really realized til this morning when I looked in the mirror !!
Actually, during the night ai thought I was having 'hot flashes' .. but, it was the burn ..

Piper's 4th BDay went well. altho, neither he nor Lilly will go INSIDE the new doghouse, BUT, Smokey the cat sure will LoL

Went to our friends wedding this past Satuday .. beautiful wedding, first 'same sex' wedding I have attended .. both ladies are 62 .. honeymooning in Paris ^_^

Lorna is in a course today at the rehab hospital .. she has been asked to mentor new amputees .. she's very excited about this opportunity.
She has yet to hear if she got back her old job at the cemetery, they are certainly dragging their feet !!

Snow is almost a memory now .. just some patches in the woods .. Robins are singing early each morning, the Gold Finches are back, and, we await our first 'Hummie' .. will put a feeder up on the 8th just in case .. they have arrived between the 10th and 14th the last 4-5 years.

Best go . making a Caesar salad ...

Take care everyone

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's not us playing. But my group really did it well too. I'm still working on an audio or video from last night's concert.

Ann

Wanted to pop by and wish everyone a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ..

Enjoy your day ...

^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Mothers Day everyone..a sunshine weekend in my neck of the woods, both weather wise and happy all of the boys are here getting my Mother's Day list done, so I'm a happy camper for sure.

Ann, I don't think any of your concerts are anything but great!

Lordy, hard to believe I should be cutting grass today, can't believe one one week just how everything is growing n leaps and bounds.

NO grass cutting here yet, altho, the area over the septic field could be done .. the riding mower is in for a tune up.
Lorna and Gord loaded it onto the trailer and took it to the Pro Hardware store out here in the country.
Yesterday DH tilled DS garden, believe it or else, ours still has some snow on it and, some frost in the ground areas.

How bout those CANADIENS (Habs) hockey team! I don't watch Hockey, but, was pleased to see their win ..

Hope all are well

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope everyone is well out there! Gardening is starting albeit a tad early but there is 0 F.... in the weather forecast so Here we go.
Green house is handy for the more delicate begonia's and peppers however the others have been outside for about a week with only bringing in a couple of nights that were too close to 0.
Carol's Paoney Dandy Dan is up and looks like he will be specactular. Last fall I treated my self to a Itoh called Lollipop who will look lovely beside him. Hope to post photo's in a month or so.
Hosta's are not up yet but the Martigon's have their heads up.
Oh boy here we go!
Happy Long Weekend everyone!
Alberta Ann

Happy long weekend to you as well ABAnn ^_^
Sounds as though we can expect some beautiful pics soon ?

I have SPECTACULAR news!! Lorna rec'd a call from the cemetery today and she has been asked back to work as their gardener/groundskeeper .. she is OVER the moon .. but, nervous as well .. time to show them how ABLE she is with her disability .. and, I KNOW she will !!
She starts June 2 and, her parents arrive for a visit on June 15 !! Looks like we'll be doing some mega entertaining ....

Otherwise, all here is well .. snow is predicted, MAYBE, tomorrow ..

And, so it goes

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Long Weekend as well everyone..

saying rain has passed us buy but I'll need long johns to work in the gardens , big sigh.

but I have to say I cannot believe the trees now have leaves, primroses in full bloom, hosta's are growing beyond belief..nice to do a morning stroll again.

I would say I've lost at least 3shrubs this winter so I'll go in search this weekend to replace them..won't dig them out just yet, never know.

what fantastic news about Lorna..know you were worried she would not be taken back..can't imagine how she must be feeling. You will surely miss her being around so much during the day.

Ann, will have to key Martigone, not sure what that is

Nice to think of Carole being in your garden..saw my peony the other day, ants were making a fortress in nearby garden, though maybe I should do something about them then I though it might not be such a good idea!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

good morning.
Ab Ann - The other week I was at our Community Garden committee meeting, and we had a guest speaker from Calgary Hort - and I asked her if she remembered Carol... She did, of course. She told me that they're creating a "Carol's Corner" garden, at the Hort Society office..... how nice!

My lily from Carol's garden didn't survive, unfortunately, but I do have a peony in my garden, in her honour. I never grew any before, but when I saw how proud she was of hers, and how very beautiful it was, I just Had to get one. I planted it last year, so this is it's first "naturalized in" year......

Marilyn - how wonderful that Lorna's going back to work!!!! I'll just bet that she's "over the moon"!!

Ann - it's too quiet in the house to play your lovely Handbells, (It's 4:15am......couldn't sleep), but when I can, I'll return here and play it :-)

As all, I too miss FANCYVAN :-)
And, I think it's a lovely tribute to her to be remembered with happiness.
I haven't anything from Carol's garden, but, the memories are lasting ..
My Peony is about 3" high , probably put the cage around it today so as to avoid having to do it when other things are popping up ..
The Lillies have the aluminum pie plates on sticks and strings crashing around them to keep the deer away .. so far so good ..

Feeling YUK .. took the chemo drug last night and slept terribly .. but, hate to miss a beautiful sunny day .. hoping to get the patio furniture out and placed ..
Lorna built the new BBQ yesterday .. I helped a bit, but not as much as I would have liked to.
Looks great and will be broken in tonight.

Have a salad to make, best get on with it, but, all i REALLY want to do is go to bed !

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon all,

Overdid this a.m. So having a lay down for a bit, don't want to doze off as I'll never get up and at it, so much to do.

I too have peonies and often think of Carol..

Susan has spring finally arrived in your neck of the woods and can you garden.

"M" listen to your body, telling you to rest!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning,
We were in Rochester, NY for the memorial service of a second cousin's widow over the weekend. It was time to reconnect with a lot of extended family. But I'm happy to be back home for holiday Monday. It looks like a good gardening day and we've not had many of those. I have, however, gone through my yard with a checklist and all hostas are accounted for or confirmed dead, but there were only 2 of them with a suspected 3rd. I DID have a tiny hosta that wasn't doing well last year when I put my potted hostas into the veggie garden for the winter and I found a styrofoam cup with a seedling in it where the marker said the plant should be. I'm assuming it's dead as I didn't find any other remains but it is possible that it might pop up somewhere.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Condolences Ann on your loss.

We had a 90th birthday for an aunt last week, all her 8 siblings have gone to the Lord..called cousins from each family and asked them to attend as a representative, many had plans . I asked if I called them because she had passed on, all said yes even though they lived out of town and worked..ok then forgo funeral and come and enjoy and make her happy...all did except one family where we lost touch..aunt cried and cried.

How long was the drive..lucky you are back before all are heading home.

My hosta's are doing great, I've walked the gardens and don't think I loss any but sure did with shrubs, had thought 2 or 3 but think I'm nearing 6

You might be surprised Ann, mayve it wants a little more warmth before it says hello.

Harsh winter for sure.

Guess most of your days will be in the gardens, here is hoping for sunshine!

Considering they were calling for rain we sure did have a nice weekend. Today sun pops in and out but so far no rain.

Each day I see such changes in the garden, just a few tulips but nothing else in bloom.

On a mission, need to wash washroom walls down with T.S.P. So I can paint. Stone countertop installed, workmen come back for vanity upgrade and tiling the floor this week, will be glas when this project is done.

Know one thing, half of what was in the medicine cabinet and vanity will be no longer, Lordy why do we keep so much?? Am sure most is beyond the expiration date

Best I not sit too long

Corn on the cob for lunch and back to it i go

Big sigh, just realized unless my clock went dead it's not 10:30 yet. Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, Spring has arrived :-)
I'm on a Community Garden committee that's Just starting this year, and next weekend we're starting "The Build"... it's raised beds, I'll be taking pictures, and helping prep the food for lunch.
Bob will be helping with building the planter boxes. It's accessible gardening, so none of us have to bend (my knees say Thank You lol).
As well, we're having decent breezy weather this weekend, so it's clean-up time here.

Hugs to all!! I'm feeling so much happier since both Bob & I are working, so am getting back "in the swing of things" It's taking awhile, but I shall arrive there lol

Here's a funny for all the sewers out there lol http://prntscr.com/3kosli

Flittering in like our HUMMIES, who, finally arrives about 10 days later than usual !

Glad all is well with you and Bob and work Susan ^_^

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Joannabanana today !!!

Off to do some gardening and hang out some clothes

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Adding birthday wishes as well Joannabanana..hope your world is filled with sunshine.

Can tell nice weather is here, yikes what line ups in town this mornimg.

Absolutely gorgeous day, in fact perfect day.

Went in search of a hole in the smaller pond liner, no go, kow the level it's at but not going to lift slate that takes 3 men to lift, will have to wait until the boys are here and willing to take on such a job..likely it will go on my to do list for mother day 2015' that is ok, just means I have to key an eye on the level.

Have to say my gardens are now ahead of last year, how is that possible. Ann my hosta's are soooo biig and healthy..the cup hosta is just saying hi.

Imagine was at the dollar store this mornimg and bought 2 packages of crocosmania (?) 2 in a pack, now how likely will they will bloom is another think. Was going to move a few of the crocosmania I presently have but thought better of it. On the lookout for white ones.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy Birthday, Joanna!!!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Happy Birthday to you Joanna bannana. Hope your weekend was as warm in Calgary as it was up here. Dandy Dan has buds setting so should be able to send a photo soon.

Hostas just poking up their heads here. Hoping that the no shows so far are just slow and still will come along.
Pond liners and leaks, that is a needle in a hay stack isn't it Betty!
Good to hear things are looking up for Susan.
Viann looking for the 4th year on that seedling that had promise will let you know.

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

30C and nice breeze here..when I think back to a few weeks ago when I thought it would be July before II would see growth, how wrong I was, gardens I think are ahead right now, so wonderful to do a walk around in the mornimg and see the changes.

As for the liner, what a job, got as far as I could without lifting slate slabs and dint find anything..wasn't about to lift them..only a matter of adding water every few days to top it up..will wait till my boys come and will have them set in a new liner.

Was thinking of putting on A/C but think I shall just turn on a fan instead.

HAPPY 40th Birthday to son Murray!! I tell ya what, I am blown away by him turning 40 .. where have the years gone !?

Lorna signed the contract with the cemetery, and, she starts work on Monday morning .. she will be the groundskeeper .. I guess it's about 10-15 acres .. and they are MORE than happy to have her coming back .. her NEW leg is fitting like a dream, and, her level of confidence has grown .. fingers crossed for her ^_^

Flowers are POPPING .. purple Iris, Bleeding Heart, Peony, Pansies and Impatiens .. Hosta is slowly awakening ..
ONLY negative issue, is, the RETURN of the mosquitoes !!!

Hope everyone is doing well , have a splendiferous weekend

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" seems like yesterday we were 40.. Happy birthday to Murray!! Greg will be 45 in January, makes me feel old..Roger died at 47, when I think about it he really was young!

Fantastic news about Lorna, let's just hope she doesn't overdo trying to prove she can do as much as she once did.

You will be lost without her. When do Lorna's parents come..not sure why I thought it was the week before Lorna started work.

Everyday I walk the gardens I see more in bloom..still a lot more weeding to be done but it sure is inviting as is. My hosta's are huge...

Thought I'd share my FETISH for Pansies .. gosh, I just love'em !!

The purple ones were almost dead .. bought them at No Frills for $8. DH thought me nuts, but, he then purchased a pot of multies at WallyWorld in as bad shape for $9.
With some TLC they are now splendiferous !

As always some pics of the dogs .. Lilly and Piper had just been groomed .. DH mowed the compound lawn, they got out after he was done (still not too fast with this hip) and, well, Lilly became MINTY green, Piper wasn't as bad ..

Cool here the last 2 days, have had 2" of rain.

Lorna is back to work and loving it, finding it tough on the body, happy she had worked out at the gym for 6 months beforehand!

Hope everyone is doing well, and, enjoying th LACK if S N O W !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Hi everyone ..

Can imagine you're all heavily ensconced in gardening gear and hard at it as our time to enjoy the fruits of our labours passes so darned quickly!

We have a cool morning here .. just near 8C right now .. makes me worry about the tend new shoots popping through .. the furnace has come on, and, at bedtime last night, the AC was on ! Gotta love Canada ^_^

Lorna is doing well at work, finding it difficult though as NOTHING has been done in the beds in FOUR years !!! Since she had to leave .. you can imagine the task she has.

Should shower, off to a nurses luncheon later ..

Hope all are well

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,
Sunshine day in my neighborhood, not that I'm out sitting in it but nice to look at..
weeds sure have gotten ahead of me, oh well, I pull those that tower the plants and the rest, well nobody knows they are there..isn't that some kind of gardener lol

Hosta's loved the winter, lordy they are healthy and big

lots of green in the yard..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice pics, Betty. Yes, the hostas are looking good this year. Last year we had a lot of rain which also helped.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Seems they are giant size Ann..hard to believe the gardens have come around so quickly. I went back to photo's from last year and really we are ahead..must have been the insulation of snow that protected them.

Gorgeous day out there.

Should be outside rather than sitting painting a canvas with a tree, bare, without leaves grrr don't really feel like painting but did promise it for a wedding on Friday night..guests ill put their fingerprint where leaves should be.

Nice poem goes with it..I've typed it now to antique it

Betty .. this is what the tree will 'eventually' look like .. attached photo (I hope)

Cool here .. but, our Hosta is BLASTING off as well ..

Tidying and laundry and, SEWING (button on a shirt, and a hole in a jacket pocket)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.