Amaryllis group buy for fall 2014, interest thread

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You got it!

Now, go figure out what phlox colors are your favorite on the other thread... LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm good on Phlox for now anyway.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd be interested in maybe 3 each of Red Lion and Double Dragon. I don't think anyone else asked for Red Lion, and I don't want 10, so I realize that probably won't go anywhere! I don't know where we are on Double Dragon....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, there was 1 'Double Dragon' left in our first bag of 10. You've got it, and you have the first 2 bulbs in a 2nd bag of 10 (if we fill it). I also put you down for 3 'Red Lion', but you're right, nobody else has asked for it.

If you're looking for "Christmas red," I've heard really good things about 'Rapido' as a "best red," and one of the (cheaper) Peruvian jumbo bulbs is red also... 'Olaf'... looks a little more orange or scarlet-red to me. Peruvian 'Minerva' would work well also. For a Victorian red, go with 'Red Pearl'. Personally, I think 'Sophisticate' is going to be a wonderful Christmas variety, red & white & green together!

Or you could go for 6 'Double Dragon' and be that much closer to having that 2nd bag filled. :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm a little over-the-edge these days (as you know, doing some wedding planning for my step-daughter), but yes, Gita's photo of her red Amarylises reminded me how festive they are - I'd love some reds. Are there any other reds for which you have a partly filled bag? I can take maybe 3 Sophisticate if that bag isn't full (but don't start a new one just for me). But no mini's for me this year....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't think any of the reds I suggested above are miniatures. I go back & forth, myself... the full size ones have such a WOW factor, and the mini's are so darned sweet. I can't resist 'Tinkerbell' this year -- tiniest mini I've seen, appropriately named!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, I thought I posted my want list about 10 days ago, but now cannot find it. Oh well. Here is what I would like to have:

Apricot Parfait 1
Bolero 2
Fantasy 1
Minerva 2
Blossom Peacock 1

Any chance of adding the 'Prelude' to the list? The flower form is so interesting.

Thank you.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I could add a Prelude!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Let's add 'Prelude' to the list, then, and see where it goes... it's definitely different than 'Minerva' or 'Sophisticate', our other two red/white varieties. The petals are very rounded, and as I remember it also has fabulous "substance," one of those blooms that seems carved from wax & lasts forever.

Donner, I think you mentioned most of those when we were talking about this via Dmail before the sale went "live." My bad for not going back to your note.

Holly, since I want to get Donner her 1 'Blossom Peacock' that I forgot to put on the spreadsheet earlier, I've bumped you back down to 2 of them -- or, rather, you have 2 from the first bag and 1 from the second bag if it's filled.

In order to get all of these varieties, you're going to need to start talking up this opportunity to other friends & neighbors... or figure out how many extras you can "unload" closer to the season and add them to your order so you can get your favorites. Finalizing in June gives us plenty of time for this, but you know how time always speeds along... thinking about it now is good!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Did I miss any of the doubles? I couldn't get enough of double dream this year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yes, you missed a couple -- White Nymph, Marquis, Blossom Peacock, Red Peacock

DOUBLE AMARYLLIS
Aphrodite
Dancing Queen
Double Dragon
Double Dream
White Nymph
Blossom Peacock
Marquis
Princess
Red Peacock

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

OK just add one of white nymph, marquis, and blossom peacock.

I'm done. I think I need to unfollow the thread....

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I would like to add the following"

Prelude 2
Marquis 1

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's where we are with totals -- # available is listed for each.

I'd like to see 7 or more ordered (3 "available"), maybe just 5 of the cheaper Israeli and Peruvian ones, before we officially order a variety...
I'm pretty confident that we can "sell off" 3 of a given variety between now & next fall. I can make a note if you're wanting 2 but willing to take 3, etc.

Thanks!

DUTCH
(5) Aphrodite
(7) Apricot Parfait
(3) Dancing Queen -- will order
(0/8) Double Dragon -- we're into our 2nd bag, will order 1 bag for sure
(1) Double Dream -- will order
(7) Prelude
(7) Red Lion
(8) Red Pearl
(9) White Nymph

ISRAELI
(0/8) Blossom Peacock -- will order one bag, working on 2nd
(2) Marquis -- will order
(6) Princess
(2) Sophisticated -- will order
(5) Tinkerbell

PERUVIAN we'll probably end up ordering all of the below, as the price is irresistible
(6) Susan/Bolero
(5) Fantasy
(1) Minerva -- will order
(3) Rosita -- will order
(2) Vera -- will order

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

YIKES! Suddenly it's time to finalize our order for fall. I want to place ONE order, before June 16, without later additions. This will ensure their full inventory is available to us, hopefully avoid some of the shipping confusions we've had in the past, and give us FREE SHIPPING.

Admin has asked us to take group purchase "business" off the MAG forum. Therefore, I've created a new gathering place for our group buys. I'll Dmail information to those who participated in last year's ADR purchase. If you're interested and don't hear from me before tomorrow morning, please Dmail me. :-)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, it looks like the admins set up a new forum called Group Buys. It's free, unlike the classifieds section.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/buyinbulk/all/

If we need to continue this discussion (and not have a dozen dmails for you to manage), would a thread on that forum work?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Huh... when did that happen?? LOL

Thanks for letting me know about it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BTW, I'm having technical difficulties with the link above... not as simple as I had hoped, and I'm not quite sure what's wrong with my site. I've got a note in to the sitemaster, and hopefully we'll straighten that right out. Meanwhile, I've Dmailed Terry to get the ball rolling on being able to use the new Group Buy forum...

Stay tuned!

and meanwhile, click on over to the ADR site to refresh your memory. http://www.adrbulbs.com/category/Wholesale-Bulk-Amaryllis-Bulbs

You'll find a list above on availability (remaining bulbs needed to "fill" a bag of 10)... it's not too late to "nominate" another variety, especially if you want multiple bulbs, but turn your attention to the list first, please!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

PLEASE GO HERE to continue our amaryllis group buy: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364646/

We're finishing up this order THIS COMING SUNDAY.

:-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We do have some amaryllises that have been ordered but not yet spoken for. Please drop by the thread on the group buy forum and take a look at what's available.

Also, Chris at ADR has graciously extended their free shipping offer for us. I don't see this growing to the size of last year's purchase, but I'm willing to expand this opportunity to include things other than amaryllises. So, if there are additional fall bulbs you're interested in, post about them on the group buy thread. Somebody may want to split a box/bag with you, and of course it's easy to add something if you want the entire quantity.

Any time our additions come to $150 or more, I'll place another order. Shipping will still be to me in Frederick; local pickup only please. I will not ship -- but if you have a friend picking up bulbs from me, they may be willing to pick up your bulbs also and get them to you.

thanks, Critter. Maybe next year we can do lilies again? (Not sure there would be enough interest for this year, so soon after last year's buy.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're a mind reader. I definitely want to do another lily buy within the next year or two. We'll see when there's enough interest.

Meanwhile, anybody who has been thinking about daffodils etc. -- I'm about to put in another order for additions, so if there's something you've been considering, it's a good time to speak up!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1364646/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, you asked for LILIES? Here are some lovelies that we could get delivered at about the same time as our amaryllises: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9900194

yay, Critter--that's wonderful! :-) thanks so much!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd take some Montego Bay and Satisfaction those are the only ones I am interested in.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool -- Satisfaction is one I really want!

So far, I've put Crocus tomm. roseus. C. tomm. 'Lilac Beauty', and C. biflorus 'Spring Beauty' on my list. Most of the crocuses are $11.25 per 100, making them $3 per 25. the pink "roseus" ones are $6.25 per 25 -- but so worth it! ;-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whups, posted on the wrong thread... but I'll leave it so people know we're ordering crocuses also! I think they'll be great to plant with the lilies, so we know where we shouldn't step when we're picking daffodils (OK, they'll be done blooming by then, but the kids know not to step on anything green, even if it's just leaves)

Jill, it looks like Catmint and I both got mislabeled Aphrodite. Both of ours are pure white, like White Nymph, or another white double.

Is your Aphrodite blooming? Speedie and Terp both got Aphrodite, but they haven't been online lately.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I hope people will post pics of their blooming amaryllises. I am giving most of mine away so I probably won't see most of them in full bloom.

Holly, I'll post the blooming pics on the indoor gardening page!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just saw them, very pretty but def not Aphrodite. Thanks for posting them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

bummer! I haven't had Aphrodite open yet, but Martina has one that's budding out. I'll check with her. And I'll send Chris at ADR a note. Has anybody had 'Marquis' bloom yet? I don't think the not-Aphrodite looks like Marquis, but it's close... just tryign to identify the mixup.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Two of mine are blooming, Minerva and Peacock Blossom, I think.

Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423 Thumbnail by Catbird423
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sure are pretty Catbird!
my Minerva showed a bit of bud/buds/bud plus leaf when I potted two weeks ago.

FYI, Critter--a photo of my supposed 'Aphrodite'.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about which white double in the ADR catalog you think it looks closest to. It is hard to tell. I was thinking it looks closest to White Nymph or Marquis, but who knows.

Do you think Chris would be willing to send those of us affected a replacement 'Aphrodite' when they become available again?

thanks,
Robin

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Robin. I'll send that photo to Chris, if I may. I don't think replacement Aphrodites will be available until next fall. I figure I will alert him to the problem and let him know we may have an issue with all 10 bulbs, since we are 3 for 3 blooming wrong so far.

I believe I will get a refund or credit for bulbs that weren't true to name, and I'll pass the refund on to those affected of course (I also owe you for the 'Sophisticated' that got dropped -- and I still have no explanation from them for that, but at least I didn't get charged for them.)

Somehow we never end up getting quite what we ordered from ADR, but most of what we receive is such excellent quality and at such a great price that I try not to get too frustrated about the things that didn't work out. Still, I hate to get a "wrong" blooming bulb! Hopefully next year's Aphrodite with be AphroRIGHTee.

That sounded better in my head than it looks on the screen. i'd better go to bed.

'AphroRIGHTee'--love it! :-)
Yes, definitely feel free to send the photo to Chris so he can see what we're talking about!
So 3 of us now have mislabeled Aphrodite--can I ask who besides SSG and me?
Well, I'd rather get a nice, big Aphrodite bulb next fall than a refund--guess it depends on what you can work out with Chris.
Overall I've been very happy with what we've gotten from ADR--the huge, high-quality bulbs. Just one of those glitches, I guess.

Thanks for following up, Jill!

I generally don't feel the effects of ADR mixups, but they seem to take up so much of the organizer's time... and that would be you, Jill! I do agree ADR offers beautiful, big, healthy bulbs. In fact, my non-Aphrodite is "pregnant" with a baby and will certainly be two bulbs next year. This one's definitely going to be offered at the spring swap!

Heh, AphroRightee! Good one! ;)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Going out today to check out Homegoods, Tuesday Morning and other such stores in search of containers for my Amaryllis gifts. So far I have picked up 3 very nice large glass jars and I have a very pretty basket that has a liner that says believe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Don't forget Goodwill & other thriftshops... or even the Dollar Store... especially if you're going to grow them with water/rocks. I've been defaulting to terra cotta pots lately, but like to plant in potting mix and keep growing them on in the same pot. You could probably let them flower in water jars and then move to a pot to grow their leaves & replenish their bulbs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.