Amaryllis group buy for fall 2014, interest thread

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I know we're thinking about crocus and daffodil blooms this spring, but we're going get an early start on amaryllises for fall. We ordered 3 varieties from ADR during last fall's big bulb buy, and we were especially impressed with their JUMBO bulbs. Let's reserve some early this year, while we can choose from their full range of varieties!

It's likely we'll order from other sources also, if we catch "amaryllis fever." So if there's a type or variety you're especially looking for, let me know, and I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on it.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

See http://www.adrbulbs.com/category/Wholesale-Bulk-Amaryllis-Bulbs Terms will be pretty much as for the bulb buy I organized last fall -- pick-up only, although you can ask a friend to ferry/fairy or ship bulbs to you. We do need to order in bags of 10.

The Dutch bulbs are all available in Jumbo sizes, usually 36 to 38 cm, and are the most expensive ($7-9 range, still a "steal" for these huge bulbs). The Israeli bulbs are smaller, 26/28 or 28/30, but are also lower in price at $3.75. The Peruvian bulbs come in jumbo for $4.65 or smaller for $2.99 (I think we should go for the jumbo ones!).

Here's a list of those already being discussed. Other varieties will be added to this list when there is interest in at least 3 bulbs. When we've pre-sold 7 or more bulbs, I'll reserve a bag of 10 for us.

Number before the variety name is the number AVAILABLE (eg, how many must be sold to fill the bag of 10)

DUTCH priced per jumbo bulb
5 Aphrodite $7.89
7 Apricot Parfait $7.25
4 Dancing Queen $7.50
2 Double Dragon $8.83
2 Double Dream $8.83
8 Red Pearl $7.25
10 San Remo $7.25

ISRAELI
1 Blossom Peacock (28/30) $3.75
4 Marquis (26/28) $3.75
6 Princess (26/28) $3.75
2 Sophisticated (26/28) $3.75
5 Tinkerbell (28/30) $3.75

PERUVIAN priced for jumbo size
8 Bolero (aka Susan) $4.65
6 Fantasy $4.65
3 Minerva $4.65
5 Rosita $4.65
3 Vera $4.65

note: 'Fantasy' is as picture, white with lime green throat. There's another variety sometimes called "Fantasy" that I think is actually 'Gervase', white with variable red and pink striping, absolutely gorgeous but not on this year's list at ADR (Chris will check into it for next year).

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 7:29 AM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2014 2:07 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reserved for additional details

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I think Double Dream is the one that Catmint posted and everyone was admiring.

I'm interested in

1 Double Dragon
1 Double Dream
1 Dancing Queen
1 Aphrodite
1 Israeli Blossom Peacock

This message was edited Mar 10, 2014 11:38 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We could order 'Double Dream' again this year, but be sure to check out some of the other doubles as well.

I'm really excited about the Peruvian ones -- jumbo bulbs for under $5! I've grown a few of them before... 'Bolero', aka 'Susan', is the most delicious pink, not hot pink, not salmon, just huge pink blooms. 'Vera' is silvery pink, huge elegant blooms. I haven't grown 'Rosita', but I bet the 3 of them would look fabulous together.

Jill, I just added "Dancing Queen" to my list. I think that's the only other double I missed.

Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed over the doubles? :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't blame you! I adore the doubles, from the "messy" ones like 'Jester' and 'Dancing Queen' to the perfectly formal ones like the 'Nymph' series.

Did you see that there are a couple more doubles among the Israeli bulbs? 'Princess' and 'Marquis' come to mind, as well as 'Blossom Peacock', which may be my all time favorite... pink with white "rays", double, picotee edge... if only it were fragrant! LOL I'm not sure there's still a 'Blossom Peacock' among the non-bloomers on my basement shelf, so I'd be interested in that one. Princess is a mini that resembles it quite a lot.

Just took a quick look... I missed 2 more doubles... White Nymph (Dutch) and Red Peacock (Israeli).

Some of those Israeli varieties are almost halfway between the "exotic" H. cybister varieties and the "regular" amaryllis blooms in form. I'm really excited about 'Sophisticated'. As far as I can tell, it's a new release (limited in 2013)... I love the ruffled edges, green throat, and dark stems (described as a uniform dark purplish color). If it's half as pretty as it looks, I think it should replace Red Lion as the quintessential Christmas amaryllis!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2014 7:51 AM

Oh boy, Blossom Peacock has been added to my list now!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will definitely be ordering this year. Great idea Critter, this will give me something to do while I am house bound. Yes, I also want Double Dream, going off to look at other varieties.

thanks for starting this, Critter! I would like:

1 Aphrodite
1 Double Dragon

Yes, Double Dream is the totally gorgeous one from last year's buy!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm on board definitely. Don't order without me!!!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh wow, I'm afraid I won't be able to pass up on this either. So far, what I like are:

Israeli Princess
Dutch "Red Pearl"
Dutch "Dancing Queen"

... and Dutch "Aphrodite" =)

Thank you Jill, for starting this! =)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I like:
Double Dream
Rosita
Vera

Y'ever notice how, not only are we all such ADDICTS, but we're also TERRIBLE enablers as well? ;)

Oh, but we're the *good* kind of addicts and enablers! :-D

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We're off to a good start! You might consider mentioning this deal to friends/neighbors also... Let them know we're getting $20 Amaryllises for $5, and their ears might just perk up, LOL.

Terri, are you sure you don't "need" 'Bolero' ('Susan') to complete a trio of lush pinks? Or do you have that one already?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These are the ones I am interested in just have to figure out how many of each variety I may want.

Double Dream
Double Dragon
Dancing Queen
Blossom Peacock
Rosita
Vera

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Jill, I already have Bolero/Susan, but I'll have to see how all those bulbs from previous years are holding up - none have actually grown any green, much less flower, in a while. They are either dormant or dead. I think of Joyanna every time I say that phrase, who would have thought a 3 year old would know to ask that LOL?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Terri, I've got a bunch downstairs that are struggling also... neglected them last year, and just before they went dormant they got pretty buggy, so I've been spritzing them with alcohol solution... they are dealing with that but not thriving! I don't give up unless they get squishy/rotten or crunchy-dry... if I can feel a firm bulb left, even if it's just a little nub, I keep it on my shelf! They're separate from everything else downstairs, and some of them seem to be coming around... hopefully I'll be able to plant them in the ground (by a soaker hose) this summer, adn that should help immensely. Anyway, for $5 I'm hoping to get another 'Susan' to make sure of having one blooming next winter!

BTW, we can also get any of the Peruvian varieties in a smaller size (26/28 or 28/30) for $2.99... but personally I'd rather pay another $1.60 to get the jumbo bulb!

Holly, I'll just put you down for 1 each for now, and we'll play with the numbers after we see which ones will likely make "the cut."

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill at least 2 of each.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gotcha. You've got 2 of each reserved!

OK, ya talked me into it, I believe I really "should" try the Peruvian Minerva and Vera as well.

That makes it:

Israeli "Princess"
Dutch "Red Pearl"
Dutch "Dancing Queen"
Dutch "Aphrodite"
Peruvian "Vera"
Peruvian "Minerva"

Sheeeesh, the things you guys make me do! < =P LOL!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Got those down, Speedie!

Just a reminder, because I don't want anybody bummed out later... I'm happy to mark down your interest in any cultivar, but ultimately we'll have to order in bags of 10 bulbs, so we won't be getting every one. But we're all good enablers, so I expect we'll end up ordering a nice variety!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm still waiting patiently in the shadows...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

no need to wait too patiently, Terp! LMK if there are any that particularly interest you, so you'll have one or more bulbs reserved if there's a "run" on them. :-) btw, those smaller bulbs I mentioned to you earlier that I thought were 25 for $50 -- that was a misprint of sorts, a price left over from last season that has since been corrected.

I will gladly assist in enabling you, Paul, in whatever way I can... order a couple more of something, turn the spot-light directly on you.. whatever. =)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

OK. Do we have a master list with numbers yet?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got a list for starting with at the top of the thread but don't have numbers on it yet. I am keeping track on an excel sheet, though. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, now there are numbers :-)

San Remo is on the list with all 10 available because I know somebody wanted it but don't remember who... Terp? Donner?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm interested in 3 Blossom Peacock
3 Sophisticated
3 Marquis
3 Minerva
3 Double Dragon.

Thank you my favorite enablers ;^)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aha, another person thinking about planting 3 bulbs in a pot for a better, longer show!

I think 'Tinkerbell' might need to be on our list also... it's a tiny miniature, intricately marked blooms with ruffled edges are only 3" across. I know we usually love amaryllises for their big dramatic flowers, but this one is just precious.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg0510035226583.html?14

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I quite often put 3 Amy in a planter of some kind quite often I pot them up individually and put all three pots in a basket or cute holiday themed container. I usually use different Amy so the recipients can have more than one variety but I must say that Gita's pot is stunning.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Not that we need more options... but...

Blooming Bulb has a 30% off pre-season sale going on with their amaryllises now. If we order 5 of a variety, some would be as low as $5.50, plus shipping. Take a look and see if there are any must-haves that aren't supplied by ADR this season. In particular, BB has a good selection of miniature amaryllises. Also, the "Symphony" series from South African are varieties that were bred for pot culture, with shorter stouter stems.

http://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5908-south-african.aspx?pagesize=100

I don't think there's anything offered by ADR this year, for example, that measures up to the hot pink color of 'Candy Floss'. I've grown it, and the bloom really is this pink: http://www.bloomingbulb.com/p-50294-candy-floss-symphony-amaryllis-1-bulb.aspx

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like Zombie & Joker best but there are several others that I really like, That Candy Floss really is in your face pink and not my first choice but I could take a few and try them.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I like First Love. I also like Joker that Holly mentioned. I like Zombie too, but I already have that one (but again, if my old bulbs are dead I'd be up for it). My preference is for pinks and whites, not necessarily the reds. There are quite a few white options - maybe Alfresco or Snow White for pure white and Baby Doll for white with a green throat?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I might still have 'Joker' among my recovering bulbs, but I like it well enough to end up with extras. :-) I know I lost 'Zombie' last spring. And 'First Love' is a pretty one. I could go for all of those, LOL.

For whites, we do have some good options in the bulbs from ADR... 'Marquis' is a lovely-looking double, although a bit more formal than the frilly petals of 'Snow White'. And for white with a green throat, Chris said 'Fantasy' was really striking (and it's one of the jumbo bulbs from Peru, giving it a very attractive price also). That doesn't mean we can't consider whites from BB, but the ADR options will save us a few dollars.

'Candy Floss' is definitely a vivid one... would make a wonderful Valentine's gift!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok. Am I too late?

Aphrodite, Dancing Queen, Double Dream - 2, Red Pearl, 3 princess, 1 Bolero, 3 Minera, 3 Fantasy

It looks like I'm done Christmas shopping for all those "others" that might appear.

Step 2: Make/Find suitable pots to use as gifts.
Step 3: Include planting instructors and directions on reuse.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're not too late... on some of your choices, we still need to "sell" 8 more bulbs to fill the order. But we have until the end of June to finalize.

That doesn't mean anybody should delay in posting an order, though... once a bag of 10 is filled, it's unlikely we'll get enough orders for a second bag, and you won't get your first choices.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Terp, just checking to make sure you saw the comment on 'Fantasy' since you & I had talked about it... the one that ADR has is white with lime green throat, as pictured.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill bump me up to 3 of each variety.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.