We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1349525

Thumbnail by patootie
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Count Dracula and Lite Plum Tie Dye 2011

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful blooms!

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

both are just beautiful! now I think I need to find some seeds for count Dracula.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

One thread closer to spring! Thanks Jackie for the new one, I forgot how pretty the count was!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

Thanks ladies.
Ronnie, yours was lovely too. Its Drac's great color combo that gets to me every time.

Bat, somewhere I have sds for this one.
Sending you a dmail.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1351862/

Susie has the plant swap open, come and check it out.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I.setosa this morning. Is this one a night bloomer? I didn't think it was, but I keep missing the blooms. As you can see, it was starting to close as I took this.

Thumbnail by batflower

Bat, I think setosa closes early. Mine did this past summer.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I agree with Jackie Bat, they aren't open long at all :(

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love setosa. ;)

Blue Lavender Beauty
PPV, one of my favorites
Cigar Plant last summer
Genus?? stems like nite blooming orchid cactus blooming in g house
1 more

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

wow, I can't wwait to se what my epis will be doing.. some of them are over 3 years old and should be time for a bloom I think? Love your PPV, by the way.
from August 2012

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Gautier, MS

Am enjoying all your beautiful blooms Jackie, Debra, Batflower and Ronnie.

Spring is just around the conner, I hope!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty Jackie and Debra. I like the orchid cactus!

Spring is so close!

Thanks ladies.
Beautiful colors on your blooms Debra. Mouthwatering pinks.!!!
Your epis are old enough to be blooming.. The large one I used to grow had to have
nite temps between 30 and 40 in winter to initiate buds. The ones I'm growing now don't need
the chilling. :-)

This message was edited Mar 6, 2014 5:02 AM

Beautiful blooms everyone!

hmm they sould be the first to go outside then in Spring to get them to bloom maybe?
The epis are huge here. My moon flowers alba and the lavender were blooming again last night.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Nice blooms! I put my epies out for the summer, bring them indoors in the fall, and get lots of blooms.
Debra, I've never herd of lavender moon flowers, Sounds so nice. Do you have any pics? Tell me more about them :-)

So pretty.. I love them. They look like they have a stickery stem, but the "Thorns" are soft and rubbery to the touch.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, wouldn't hurt to try that since you're not getting blooms after 3 yrs. They prefer cool
night temps per Logees. Just don't
put them out when the temps will go below 45 or so. 45 should be cool enough to set buds.
You could try a little food but I never feed mine and I still get blooms.
Well Bat you would not have gotten blooms on the ones I grew in the 90's. Big flowers the size of a football but not until I chilled them per Logees instructions in their catalog.!!! I get tons of blooms on the epis I grow now. They stay in the g house all winter and brought out under the shade
trees in May. This is a much smaller bloom than on the huge night blooming Cereus.

Thumbnail by patootie
Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Thats E. Strictum right? Just beautiful! I've been trying to find one for a long time. This is my Oxypetalum last year

Debra, is it scented?

Thumbnail by batflower

Beautiful blooms.

Those are really special blooms. I am trying to be patient, but I think I am about to get rid of all these epis, as If they don't bloom for me, then they are just taking up space right now.
I need all the room I can get for my glorys. Anyway, Bat, yes there is a light fragrance, but not until night and not as heavy as the white moon flower.
i lindeheimer, wish ZI had more seeds of that one ( 1st pic) , Jaimie Lynn, Shibouri, and alba carnea

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Lovely oxypetalum.
Deb, I hope you keep one or two of your epi's to experiment with in a few weeks,
Set them out a little early and see if they don't set buds. I try to withhold water from mine too during
Dec, Jan and part of Feb.
Gorgeous Jamie Lynn and Lindeheimer.

Thanks, Jackie. I will keep the oldest two prolly since they came from a dear friend who moved away from here.. but all these newer ones? uhm... going soon!

My CC's are special, keeping them, since those do bloom for me ;)

I would love to find more of the Lindeheimer and I am still waiting for the Obscura to do something .. *sigh* or.. maybe the orachea? I have both so it is confusing as heck. I get so attached to the species glorys, always looking for one I don't have from somewhere in the world I have never been to or never will get to..you know?

The very reason I started growing from sd in the 1st place yrs ago. I could never go to those
places so next best thing was to grow the plants.
I love the species too Debra. I killed my ochracea so hope you do well with yours. That
sub standard potting mix I potted it up in last fall was deadly. Killed a bunch of my
nils too. :-( I

From Jan 2012

Thumbnail by patootie
Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I feel the same way, love the species best, and always looking for a new one. MGs are a new obsession for me, but its that way with all the plants I collect. I just got ochracea, they sprouted a few days ago. The leaves are such a neat color, almost blue. (it is just the first leaves, but I've never seen any that color before) Also my first yellow MG. Can't wait until it gets big

Ochracea is very special Bat. You'll love the gorgeous yellow blooms.

My favorite hige from 2 or 3 yrs ago. A shame I couldn't get a bloom like this from my sds since 2011. I planted what I thought was this special hige but the sds did
not produce this lovely bloom. :-)

Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Bat welcome to the world of MG obsession, it's such a great place to be LOL!!

Love that Hige Jackie!

Thanks Ronnie. :-)

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms ladies!! So ready for warm weather!!!

Jackie, tha HIge is awsomeness. I tested the peppermint hige and it sprouted. Did I send you some of those? I can't remember much of last year for some reason. Helena, we are ready for you to lead us off here with beautiful blooms.

No morning glories here yet, but my first blooms this year are petunias, I planted last year. I was not for sure they would make it through the winter, but they did. I need to go and trim off what did die.

Thumbnail by taters55

what? You gt to over winter petunias outside? OKay I am jealous.. those are drop dead gorgeous! I bet they smell heavenly.

They do smell good. yeah this was my first attempt to grow petunias, and When I went outside yesterday morning I saw pink and purple! I did not know they would survive our winters.
Now as soon as I get over this darn bronchitis crap, I need to go prune things.

well, take your time healing, that stuff sticks around even when you thnk u are well. I have been a good gal and went the whole winter without getting sick. With no insurance, it is like my body said " STRAIGHTEN UP!"
off to brave the sleet and cold to sign the taxes. ugh. I knew we were going to have to pay this year, with Joe's big separation check, totally thru us into a higher income bracket, even tho he hasn't spent a dime of it. SHEESE!
my saved dahlias ... gotta find those dark leafed ones..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Joe and I went to a place called Big Lots? anyways they have nice rose bushes for 3.75. I did not buy any. I did pick up a few packs of mgs at the Hillside feed n seed while getting my bird feed, and I got the flying saucers. I havn't grown them for awhile so hope they come true.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks ladies.
Beautiful pin wheel petunias Linda K. Hope you get to feeling better.
Debra, gorgeous Dahlia's, wish I was good with those. Would love to have those beautiful
blooms, very showy.
Yes thank you, you did send me some of your Hige sds. I will be starting a few of those in the next few weeks. Your peppermint one was a beauty, same or similar to mine??

Oct 2011
Edited to say beautiful hige Debra. Is that your peppermint??

This message was edited Mar 8, 2014 2:28 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Linda I am so envious of your zone! Love petunias!

Debra the dahlias are so pretty, I really like the dark leaved ones. I had to stop digging mine up in the fall with my back. It was either the dahlias or cannas and I like the cannas a bit better. Will buy a few new ones this year.

Jackie the first mg is really special, love that water color look!

Nice out today, sun is out and the snow is melting! Going up to 60 on Tuesday! Maybe spring really is getting closer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.