BROMELIADS FOR EVERYONE IN 2014

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Thought I'd do the new thread for you all as I am up early while you are probably sleeping in after watching all the New Year fireworks..

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1343228/#top

Its an overcast but warm morning here. Rain is forecast which would be nice .
I hope there are not too many headaches this morning.
I am looking forward to another year of reading all the helpful info and looking at your lovely pics.
Time for hubbys breakfast so I'll leave you with a pic of my vriesea Evita.
Happy New Year everyone
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

I'm back. Looking forward to chatting to you all again. 2013 has been a hectic year. Broms coming out of my ears over here. Lots of pups and lots of Mummas that need to be de-pupped still. My shadehouse is full to the brim. John has covered a pergola with shadecloth so I have another area about 6mts X 3mts to fill now. Just have to find the time. Happy New Year everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Now I have time to read the posts and add my “two bobs worth”. I trust you all enjoyed News Year's Eve and haven't got a very sore head this morning like I imagine a lot of people have. I've made a New Year's Resolution and that is to finish a job when I start it and not get “side tracked along the way”. It was going to be to lose more weight but I tried that last year and it didn't work very well.

I'll start with yesterdays posts from 2013 before I go to the new thread for 2014 courtesy of our “Chief New Thread Setter Upper” Jean. Many thanks for getting us of to a good start for 2014. Now back to yesterday's posts.

Jean – I trust that hubby is starting to feel a bit better now with the New Year and he hopefully will be up and running again in no time, give him my best wishes for the New Year.

I think we all get some nice surprises when we are re-potting plants and it seems like you have one with the large pup on your Neo 'Grace Darling' x 'Grace Darling'. Is that plant a radial red like its parents? I don't have Neo.'Grace Darling' myself but I know that it has the radial red lining which would be expected as it's from two radial red parents, 'Amazing Grace' and 'Rosea Striata'
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4685#4685

I don't have nor am I familiar with Bill. Leitzei but I've just looked it up on the FCBS site and it seems to be quite a small and very tidy compact little plant which should make up into a nice basket specimen. I'm surprised to hear that your Bill. 'Gerda' plants are flowering now as the ones you gave me finished flowering months ago, must be because it's a bit warmer up here.

I have two different Ae Berts, the normal one that everyone else has and the one I showed in the pic that everyone wants. I was first attracted to that one when I saw pic of it on one of the Brom Forums and I commented on how nice it was with the nice dark leaf tips and how I would love to swap something for a pup if the lady who owned it ever got a spare. About six months later, a parcel arrived and in it was a pup of this particular 'Bert'. After that this lady and I became “Brom Friends” and have since swapped a few plants from time to time.

I've never heard of any problems when the leaves from melaleuca trees fall in the cups of plants, but I did once read where the leaves of some types of “she oaks” (casuarina) can and often do cause “crown rot” if they fall into the brom cups. I've never known anyone who can say from experience if this is true or false, so best be cautious.

Which of the two Ae. bromeliifolia was it you liked? I have pups coming on the albo-bracteata plant (the green leaved one) but the rubra one is much slower and I already owe Sue a pup from it if I get one. It does however have a lot of seed and they are very easy to grow and fast growing as well and you're welcome to some of them if you would like.

I still can't understand how you can grow Ae. chantinii down in your cold environment when I can't grow it up here where it's warmer. Are you sure it's a straight Ae. chantinii and not an Ae. chantinii crossed with an Ae. recurvata which was a cross that was made and one of the better cultivars was named Ae 'Echidna'. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=AECHMEA&id=181#181 I ask this because that is the only plant with Ae. Chantinii I've ever been able to get through our cold winters. If that's not the case, well then I guess it's just your “magic touch” that keeps it going down there in Vic.

Your plant in pic's 4 and 5 although similar to some of the Neo's I've seen, could well be an Aechmea also, has it flowered yet? I guess that's the only real way to be sure; unless of course one of the many so called “experts” could tell us.

Cody – Hi! Happy New Year to you Alex and I hope Santa Clause was kind to you both.

Trish – I hope you and Joe had a great New Years Eve and didn't get too “sloshed” on the Mango Champagne. I forgot to mention previously that my English friend told me that the only drawback with wines made from fruit is that you can sometimes get a humungus hangover, so I hope she was wrong for your and Joe's sake.

Theresa – Yes Clyde was a great little mate and I'd love to get another dog but the loss of him is still too painful; maybe later this year I'll get one.

Shirley – I hope you didn't get on the Mango Champagne like Trish otherwise you mightn't surface for a while either.

Your Mulford Foster looks very different to mine as mine has yellow in the centre; maybe it's an unstable plant also, I know my 'Camelot' which is sometimes very similar, varies from season to season.

All I can think is that there may be several plants from the same grex masquerading as 'Camelot' in this country, as according to the BCR it came into Australia from U.S.A. under the formula name ('Avalon' x concentrica) and one of them was named 'Camelot'.

The question is; were the others in that grex also called 'Camelot” just because they had the same formula name or were they called some other name? As we don't have any info on Neo. Mulford Foster on the BCR, there's no proof it wasn't part of that particular grex also. (It would explain the similarity)
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3440#3440

Jean – Thanks again for the new thread and I'm going over there now.

What a nice pic to start the new thread with. Was that one I sent you? I know I have quite a few of them as I think they're great little plants which grow well and pup freely. I once commented to a very old and dear friend who has a lot of this plant in her collection as well, about how I like it but thought the only drawback was the dead flowers spoiled the look somewhat. Her answer was, “you must remove them”; if you wait until they are just turning black, take a pair of small tweezers, (she uses flat ended ones from her “make up tool box”) and just pull out the dead flowers. The bracts on what's commonly called “paddles” will still remain intact with that lovely yellow colour and no one will be any the wiser.

Colleen – Well this is a “blast from the past” where's you bin girl? It can't be AWOL it's been too long. Last we heard, you were battling a bad back; how's it going now and how are the boys? They're probably grown up and married by now it's so long since we've heard from you.

If the Vrieseas in your pic are anything to go by the rest of your collection must be looking great. Anyway it's good to see you back again and we look forward to more posts and great pic's

Just as a finishing note, while I was sorting and re-potting plants I came across a variegated mini Neo. which the name tag said was Neo. 'Firebal' (variegated). When I looked at the rear of the tag there was another name Neo.'Fallan'. I knew this plant had come with an order from Ross Little (as a freebie) and knowing how much importance Ross puts on correct naming, so I decided to check it out on the BCR. Now I'm not going to tell you what I found except to say there's a fascinating history of how the name came about and I'll let you all decide whether or not you read it. See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10469#10469

Today's pic's are Pic.1 My 'Mulford Foster' hybrid, Pic's 2, 3 and 4 showing different example of variations in my Neo. Camelot and finally Pic 5, my beautiful clone of Guzmania wittmackii. Not a mini Guz. like yours Jean as this one is a tad over three feet tall when standing on the ground.

Happy New Year to all who aren't with us today due to either sickness, being too busy or feeling a “little unwell” after New Years Eve celebrations.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

Hi Nev,thanks!!! Happy New Years to you too.Alex did have a great Christmas.Thanks for asking.I hope you and your family did as well.Love the plants you have their.The lovely bright colors.
Take care!!!

Good Day!!!!
Cody

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Merino, Australia

Nev, you guessed right, Evita is one from you. She is lovely.
I am eagerly waiting on all my other vrieseas with flower stems.

They all seem to lik ebeing in the plastic greenhouse and now I have the mist sprays up along the roof, I can turn them on to keep the humidity up .
I have all the guzmanias and nidulariums in there too.
Thats where my aech chantinii lives too. Probably why it is growing well. I will have to wait & see how it does in winter.
The only other chantinii I had years ago was down in the shadehouse and died in the cold. It does geta lot colder down there facing south, than in the greenhouse which is on the north side of the house.
My new plant is definitely chantinii, because I also bought from a different seller, a plant sold as ..chantinii x recurvata, so have both.
Its only a small plant but very different to chantinii
I will have to wait for flowers to see exactly what it is as there seems to be some discussion about the cross. Mine may be Echidna.

Nev I am very happy to have any aech bromelifolia as I dont have any and did like your pics of them.

The pup from neo Grace Darling x Grace Darling looks exactly like its mum.
Very pretty fine red lines.
My neo Amazing Grace has wider red stripes.

pic 1... chantinii x recurvata

pic 2...nidularium reguloides starting to color up.

Better go , time for a cuppa.
Hello everyone else , hope you are all fully recovered from the New Year celebrations.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

well, here we are in 2014, hope it turns out to be a good year for everyone.

Jean, thanks so much for starting the new thread. Since I have been really slack and haven’t posted or even had a read of the posts for a few days, I had best go back and start with the December thread first.

Trish, a belated happy birthday to Joe for Dec 28th. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable drive on Saturday with lots of tempting sampling along the way. Michael is feeling much better, thanks. He had his sutures out last Friday and has to see the Dr again tomorrow. We are hoping he will get the all clear and also gets the go ahead to start doing some chores around the property. There is lots of slashing and mowing to be done and some chain sawing too. Mind you, unless it cools down a bit, we won’t be venturing out to do anything much … it has been un-bloody-believably HOT here the last week or so and we’ve had just a piddly little bit of rain from a storm the other night.

Trish, that’s a lovely gesture, taking the toys and beds to the RSPCA, good on you.

Nev, I have added your name to the neo Strawberry list. Neo Wally does have similar colouring to Enchantment but is a much smaller plant. That’s great colour in your Cruenta Broadleaf. That neo in your pic 5 of 28/12 is just beautiful, I love the compact ones with the wide leaves … could there be Royal Cordovan in there somewhere?

Jean, I have Kahala Dawn and Kahala Sunset and have tried a number of times to buy Kahala Midnight on eBay but have continually been outbid. Love your little furry visitor, we have quite a few around at the moment but I would never attempt to pat one. We were told of someone who lives locally who attempted to pick one up and almost had his arms shredded, but they do look cute.

Gee, your broms look good now Jean, so much colour. What is the one with the albo margination at the bottom of pic 5 (group shot), looks like it could be concentrica albo, it’s very nice.

Ian, great to see you’re still around and keeping busy and enjoying your time off work. Your neo Grace is stunning.

Nev, I totally agree with you that too much money goes up in smoke on new year’s eve. Every year it has to be bigger and better than the previous year and I think it is overkill and some of the money could be better spent.

Cody, nice to hear from you again, hope both you and Alex are doing well.

Teresa, hope you have a wonderful 2014.

Breeindy, nice pics, happy new year to you too.

Colleen, it’s great to see you back here, it’s been a while … hope you stay. Hope you have been keeping well and the boys too.

Nev, no Mango Champagne for me though I have been enjoying quite a few fresh mangoes. And I have to admit to more than a couple of Baileys … once you open a bottle you have to drink it or it will evaporate you know.

I have a variegated mini which is named Rosy Fireball which I got from Wendy and it looks similar to the pics of neo Fallan, I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Pic 1 – neo Rosy Fireball, pic 2 – neo Apricot Nectar, pic 3 – neo Hearts Music x Grace Darling, pic 4 – neo Pascoaliana, pic 5 – our alarm clock.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi Shirley thanks!!!! It's nice to hear from y'all as well.We are doing good, thanks for asking.Love the neo Apricot Nectar and the neo Hearts Music x Grace Darling.
Take care!!!

Good Day to you when you wake up!!!!!
Cody

This message was edited Jan 1, 2014 10:32 AM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:14 PM

Christchurch, New Zealand

Lol - Shirley I have the same kind of alarm clock, just a different model.
I think it's faulty as it keeps sounding far too early ;)

Being home during the day has given me an insight into how the light falls in different parts of the garden.
I thought I had my bil nutans hanging in a shady spot & wondered why there is almost no colour difference between it & the sister plant on the sunny terrace.

My shady spot gets full sun too so my little experiment needs a rethink.

shellharbour, Australia

Good morning everyone – I think it's going to be another nice day even though it's still only 5.20 D.S.T. and it's not quite light yet, but the little Blue Wrens are twittering outside my window and that's usually a good sign. I didn't get a lot done yesterday, (too many aches and pains) but I did manage to relocate a few of the plants I had re-potted and now the hard bit starts, trying to find somewhere to put all the others. It won't be done today though as it's Thursday and my first day of the new year back at the Illawarra Light Rail Museum.

Jean – It sounds as though your plastic green house is just what the doctor ordered for the Vriseas, Guzzies, Nidulariums and of course your Chantinnii. Maybe this is where I've been going wrong with my feeble attempts to grow this plant as I was told to grow it in as much light as I could but not direct sun. I might try another one up in my Vriesea and Guzzie shade house at least it would be a bit warmer in the winter as it's about six feet higher up the yard and it has Lazar Light walls to keep out the cold winds. A few years back I grew my Guzzies in a shady corner of my Neo Shade house and they never did any good, so I decided to give them one last chance and re-potted the lot, gave them a good fed and moved them up the yard to their new “digs”. They never looked back and whether it was the new location or the fact they may have over-heard me when I said to my wife, “if they don't do better now, they're going in the bin”, they really took off and have been growing well ever since. They say there's no such thing as a “bad brom”, just a “bad brom grower” and growers who continually try and grow these plants in locations they obviously dislike come under this category and that includes me. Just a little more research and cultural tips from other growers is often all that's needed to get you on the right track, so you see, listening to where you grow your Ae. chantinii might just have been the snippet of information I needed.

Your other plant of Ae. chantinii x recurvata definitely looks similar to Ae. 'Echidna' and this is the one I have been able to grow easily which is probably due to the hardy recurvata influence in its breeding. Echidna is Ae. recurvata x chantinii; however your plant is Ae. chantinii x recurvata which is the reverse cross. Some hybridisers say that it doesn't matter what way the cross is done, the outcome will always be similar while others disagree and say the results can be completely different, so I guess it's a case of what's in the genes in each individual plant that dictates its likes and dislikes and how easy it is to grow.

I'll put you down for a Ae. Bromeliifolia albobracteata pup as soon as it's a tad larger and also I'll send you a bit of Ae. Bromeliifolia rubra seed to try. As I said, it's easy to grow and quite fast growing and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a stock of little rubra seedlings.

Where you say your nidularium reguloides is just starting to colour up reminded me that I read somewhere (probably the list of name changes which I can't find at present) that the Nidularium previously known as regelioides has had a name change, but I can't remember what it was. I have several Nidulariums out in flower now also and it looks like being a good year for them here where I live and I must take some pic's to add to my photo index for future identifications of NOIDS.

Shirley – It's good to hear Michael is on the mend and will soon be out chain sawing again, (not himself I hope).

Thanks for adding me to the list for a pup from 'Strawberry', I'll anxiously await its birth. Your comment on the Neo. cruenta 'Broadleaf' reminded me about how I got it. I didn't know of this plant and saw it as just a plain light green pup on the Sales Table at a brom meeting. As I believe it is the responsibility of all brom growers to grow at least a few of the species, I bought it and as I was walking away, one of the members said to me, “you won't be sorry you bought that, it's a beautiful plant”. When I asked what it was like he wouldn't tell me and just said, “Let's just say you'll be pleasantly surprised”, and he was correct, I was.

Unfortunately I can't tell you what's in the breeding of the plant of Peter Coyle's I posted on 28/12 in my Pic.5 as the parentage wasn't given but I have to agree with you the beautiful round shape does suggest that Royal Cordovan may well be a contender.

As for the Koala, well it's just like any other wild animal and always wary and afraid of the unknown and when a human or any other large animal is standing over them, they see this as a threat and will naturally defend themselves. I was told in 1963 by a Koala handler at a small sanctuary (which grew to be “David Fleay Wildlife Park“ in Queenland) that if as a stranger you approach a Koala on the ground you should first of all squat down to its level. That way you aren't seen as a threat, but even then they will still be very cautious of you as you are a “stranger”. Never try to pat one in the wild; extend your hand (palm up) and let them either come to you or ignore you, she said the same applied to any other animal.

I've never had the chance to try this advice on a wild Koala but I've used it on many occasions with stray dogs of all sizes and have never been bitten. This is why parents should never tell a child to “pat” a dog, the dog sees the palm of the hand coming down at them and immediately thinks they are going to be struck and straight away they retaliate by biting to defend themselves. This is the cause of many children being bitten by dogs and is the direct result of the child being given the wrong advice by a parent.......... Sorry I had to throw that bit of info in even if it isn't brom. related.

I have five different variegated miniature Neo's all slightly different and all carrying the name Neo. Fireball (variegated). I believe that when people buy or swap one of these as a NOID, they for some reason immediately put this name on it perhaps because its colour vaguely resembles another they have seen with that name.

There are quite a few with registered names such as the 'Rosy Fireball' you mention and quite often it's difficult to see any difference between these plants when grown as a single plant. When they are grown as a clump, differences then become more apparent. Some will have short stolons, some will have long stolons, some will have no stolons at all. Some will grow horizontally outward from the pot, some will grow out and upwards from the pot while still others will grow outward and down. However reading the information in the article on the BCR I mentioned yesterday could answer a lot of questions and aid in the identification of some of these plants.

I like the pic's of your Neo.'Apricot Nectar', I bought this plant quite a few years back now and have never ceased to be amazed at all the different colour changes it goes through on its way to maturity, a beauty in any collection. I've never before seen any from the Neo.'Hearts Music' x 'Grace Darling' grex and if yours any example, it will be worth keeping on the lookout for others as its a beautifully marked and configured plant. However, I don't think I'll try hopping the gate to “borrow” a piece, as your alarm clock may have other ideas.

Cody – Hi to you also Cody, it's early morning here now so everyone's awake.

Theresa - It's really amazing when you look at your whole growing area at all different times throughout the day; I know I was surprised to find areas of shade where I assumed there would be light and vise versa.

Of course the whole thing is constantly changing as the seasons change also so nothing is constant and it's necessary to keep a regular watch to see what light falls where.

I'll finish today with some more pic's of Peter Coyle's, this time just for a change, some of his beautiful Vrieseas for all you Vriesea fans.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

Hi Nev, good morning to you.Love your pics 1 and 4.Love the pink and green and white and green colors.
Take care!!!!

Good Day
Cody

This message was edited Jan 1, 2014 5:06 PM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:18 PM

Thumbnail by
barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. It was 30C at 7am this morning overcast and quite balmy. Very hot yesterday with threatening rain but we never saw anything but a few drops. I was hoping that it would pour all day. Thank you for the lovely welcome. Sorry I haven't been around. I have missed so much on here so don't know who's been sick and who's been on holidays etc. Hope everyone is well now and I hope that I stay the same. My Hallalujah is bunching up now and colouring up nicely. I have a Fasciata "Clara" nearly in flower. The bracts are nearly up to the top so in the next few days I will be able to get a pic. Hopefully I will be able to get a few more plants de-pupped today. That's all I can do is a few at a time and slowly they are getting cleaned up and some repotted into bigger pots. I have some 8" squat pots that I'm repotting into. Ofcourse they take up more room and I never seem to have enough of that. I've had to take all the ones off the REO as it was just too hot for them and they got badly burned, so ofcourse that's another 50-100 I've had to find room for. I have 2x3mt. tressles in the shadehouse at the moment along the wall and I'm putting the Mummas under there. The trouble is they are now pupping again so I'm always checking them. A Bromaddic's work is never done. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. You wont believe I am sitting here with the heater on. Its very damp after yesterdays rain and the air is cold too.
strangely, it was warm when raining all day yesterday.
The plants love the rain and its amazing to see the growth and greening that takes place overnight.
I am sure my6 brugmansias grew a foot while I slept...lol

Nev, I bought the plastic greenhouses cheaply on eBay from the sales of my irises and epis. I now have them joined as I related a while ago. Its a long tunnel that is nice and light with shadecloth over the plastic.
It gets very warm in there, so great for vrieseas in winter.
They must love it as they are throwing up flower stems and the guzzies are coloring. I have the tills hanging in there too.
I have no idea where I am going to eventually put all my seedling vrieseas.
Maybe hubby and I will have to live in the greenhouse while the house is taken over room by room with broms.

I even have a frangipani in the greenhouse. How it will go in the winter will be interesting.

I would love to try some of the bromeliifolia seed , thank you .
Thank you also for the offer of a pup when it grows.

Nev, I bought a cruenta broadleaf a while ago , so will now watch it to see what it does.
Those are lovely vrieseas of Peter Coyles. Now I will have to add even more to my wish list.

In regard tomy aech chantinii x recurvata. I just go by the tag. It may have been mistakenly written backwards . I like it anyway and even though it should be hardier with the crossing, I put it in the greenhouse anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised when walking around this morning chatting to the plants. I see tiny pups coming on quite a few of the bills and neos.

Shirley I checked the tags on my neos. I have one just plain Midnight and also Kahala Midnight.
I will watch for any pups on Kahala Midnight and save one for you.
Your two neos Apricot Nectar and Hearts Music x Grace Darling are beautiful.
I am drawn to the stripies especially the fine lined ones.
I am not sure which albo marginated brom you mean. Was it from the old thread as I havent had any group shots on this thread yet. The last group pic I had did show neo Bill Morris which has the white edges.

Hello Colleen, nice to see you back.
Hello to everyone else.
The sun is coming out so I will go back outside while hubby is sleeping.
He is doing a bit better now but the bladder infection has raised its head again, so more trips to the docs.

pics 1& 2 .. for Shirley ... neo Kahala Midnight on the left of the first pic and neo Midnight in the second pic.
These are pics from back in Nov last year and the plants look better now.

pic 3...neo cruenta broadleaf ...pic taken way back in June last year. Have to go and see what it is doing.

Jean.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2014 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi all, Happy New year to all. I know I am late but who cares. I have gone potty, potty and more potty. I don't know how many plants I have potted this week but the pics show some of them.
Jean If you would like some Ae bromefolia seed then Dmail me your address and I can send some down to you. The plant I have is different to the ones that Nev has.
Nev commented on the cross with chantini and recurvate, in theory it would make a difference as to which way the cross was done. The seed parent ought to give the form and the pollen parent ought to give the colour. But then Mother Nature steps in with plant genetics and we get what we get. Your temperatures show how much Mother Nature is Boss. I have a Neo midnight pup hanging low in Pic 1. In Pic 5 Is Ae bromefolia flower. The plant is more open than the ones Nev has shown. You may have to wait a while to get Peter Coyles' plants as he is a Kiwi and the plants have to be imported and quarantined, often by Olive Branch Nursery. Well worth the effort though.

Theresa, I understand just how hard to find the right spot for a particular plant is. Unless I am on holidays I rely on weekends to watch the light and just when I think it suitable, the season changes the angle of sun. Back to the drawing board. Then we get overcast weather and I have to start all over again. It is a challenge.

Nev Your pics of Camelot are interesting to say the least. I have sewn seed from one of these and labelled them as Neo Camelot SP (seed parent). They could be self pollinated or natures little helpers could have been busy. The results, well what will be will be, Que Sera Sera.
I have not got Alc odorata and would like some seed when you can please.
I fould an interesting discussion on FB yesterday. Subject Neo Sun King, a cultivar of Neo Cruenta. It has no lines on the underneath of it's leaves. The plant with the lines under the leaves is Yellow Devil, Sun king X kautski. Lisa Vincent thinks the problem is that the X kautski was left off the name tag and the error has been continued. I need to change mine now.

Shirley, I have to agree that that particular Neo Grace is stunning but it has just flowered and I did not notice. I have another that is bigger and not as well coloured. Both are pups taken at the same time and grown in similar conditions. Bloody Mother Nature at work again.
Love that Apricot Nectar and the alarm clock would certainly wake mine up. He would give a few very loud MEOWWWWWs and jump on me for protection. The big sook.

Cody, how have you been goin mate. I hope you enjoyed your Xmas New year time. Your Guzzie is looking good, you must be doing something right with it. Here is a hug for you, been a long time since the last one.
Have a good one all.
Ian
Pic 1 2 3 Going potty
Pic 4 Pitcairnia seedlings
Pic 5 Aechmea bromefolia flower

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Another very hot day here … still no rain.

Cody, I’m guessing it’s pretty cold where you are.

Teresa, hope you get your ‘spots’ sorted, your sunny / shady ones that is.

Nev, I am hoping to get a small parcel off to you on Monday. No pups yet from Hearts Music x Grace Darling but I’ll put you on the list as I don’t think it wise for you to hop the fence to ‘borrow’ one. Love the vrieseas in your pics … hard to pick one but if I could have two, I’d go for pics 1 and 4.

Nev, if you still have spare seed from Ae Bromeliifolia Rubra, I would love to try to grow some too, please.

Colleen, looking forward to seeing the pic of your Ae Fasciata Clara.

Jean, I just can’t imagine having a heater on at this time of year. We are sweltering, it’s very dry and the broms are burning.

I have neo Midnight too Jean, it was originally named Voodoo. Thanks so much for keeping a pup for me from neo Kahala Midnight. And yes, I was talking about a pic from the old thread, Dec 28 in fact.

Ian, I am guessing you are not looking forward to next week and returning to work. The only thing I miss about work is the air con on really hot days like we are having, oh, and the pay packet too.

Ian, so many pots and so neat too. If you happen to have lots of Ae bromeliifolia seed and can spare some, I would love some as well, please.

Now to find some pics to share …

Pic 1 – neo Dr Oesser Variegated, pic 2 – neo Inkwell, one of many suffering burn marks, pic 3 – neo Leopard Ray, pic 4 – Ae Melodrama, pic 5 – Vr Black Beauty

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi Ian,thanks!!! It was the best holidays ever,because i spent them with my son.That was the best gift of all.Thanks,i just keep it in the house.I am shocked,because this is the longest i have ever kept one alive.I just water it when it needs it.Thats the 4 pups you see that are standing up.Wow you have been busy as a bee with your pups.Nice pics!!!Thanks for the hug.Sending you a hug too.
Take care!!

Good Day!!!
Cody

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:22 PM

Hi Shirley,yes it is very cold here today.Its only going to be in the 40's for the high today.The wind is blowing around out their making it feel colder.The rest of this week and weekend is going to be a cold one.If it wasn't for the blasting winds it wouldn't be so bad.I am so ready for Spring.Love neo Dr Oesser and neo Leopard Ray and Vr Black Beauty.
Take care!!

Good Day
Cody

This message was edited Jan 2, 2014 10:03 AM

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:34 PM

I don't think my Bil. nutans likes the direct sun it is getting, the leaves are getting very yellowish & the one that gets the most is developing spots that make it look rather unwell...

time to rethink the living conditions & perhaps try one in bright light but no sunshine & the other in shade.

Finding those conditions in a summer garden is going to be tricky.

This is assuming I still have the two pots - the wind is howling around the house this morning & we even had nor'west rain - highly unusual.
So if the pots haven't relocated to Oz I will take some pics then move them & see what happens.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Nothing of interest to report today. I spent yesterday at the museum, so no brom work done, and this morning it's drizzling rain and not looking too promising either, so that's about it.

Colleen – It's good to see you back posting once again and also good to hear your brom's are all doing well. I think the space problem you have is pretty common among all brom growers and if you're anything like me, just when you think you have it all sorted out, there's another batch of pups to be removed and housed.

The year before last, as a trial, I potted all of my Neo. pups in 100mm pots like I had done previously with my Billbergias. I found they put down roots quicker and grew quicker as well. Obviously the real big types had to go into larger pots but generally speaking the bulk of them were in 100mm pots. As they grew they became a bit top heavy but that wasn't a problem as they were all hanging, however it would have been a very different story if they had to be benched as they would have been forever falling over. They seem to have thrived on being confined to a smaller than normal pot and constantly being surrounded by good air circulation, so much so that all now have a pup or two. It seems now that I've out smarted myself because I will soon have remove these pups and once again I'm back to the “where can I put them” question once again and a similar predicament to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about your plants that got a bit burned, they'll recover and put up some new pups. Do what I did after the heat wave and give them a good hit with Seasol at the strength recommended for stressed plants.

What's the name of the Neo in the second pic? It's very similar to a few seedlings I bred a while back and also is that an Ae. orlandiana peeping out from behind it? The colour looks great so your light must be just about perfect and right to their liking.

Jean – It does seem strange that you've got to put the heater on in summer which just proves how much the seasons are stuffed up. I've just been in shorts and singlet all day yesterday at the museum and I imagine our friends up north are really sweltering also.

From what you say your plants seem to love the environment you are growing them in, but I'm having trouble imagining you and hubby living there and the plants being moved into the house.

I've had a few people wanting the Ae. bromeliifolia rubra seed and I've just picked and washed another batch this afternoon. There's still stacks more so if any one else wants any just let me know otherwise it will just dry up on the plant and be of no use to anyone.

I don't think you'll see any of Peter's new Vriesea hybrids in Australia any time soon as he first has to build up stocks and then fill all of the N.Z. orders so I wouldn't stand around waiting as you'll have a very long wait.

True, what you say about the name tag on your chantinii x recurvata plant maybe having been written incorrectly, but it also possible that someone has tried the reverse cross also. The proof will become obvious when it flowers and there is a good example on the BCR to compare flowers with, in fact I've found mine to be very similar to a recurvata flower. You never know, the reverse cross might just produce a plant with similar foliage and robustness to recurvata with an inflorescence like Ae. chantinii. If this is the case, please put me down for the first spare pup.

I have also noticed how many new little pups are sticking heir heads out of the Billbergias I recently re-potted as well. It seems they are relishing the new potting mix after having been almost neglected for a couple of years and it's great to see a reward for your labour.

If hubby has a bladder infection, keep the fluids up to him, a minimum of 2 litres of water a day (and that's not counting the water in tea and coffee). It was once explained to me by a doctor that the antibiotics can only kill the bugs, the dead bugs still have to be flushed out of the system and this can only be done by drinking lots of water.

It's interesting with your pic of Neo. 'Midnight', when I look at the FCBS site I find there are two “Midnights” listed, one bred by Wurthmann with no parents listed and one bred by our own Grace Goode with two species as parents; tristis and concentrica. Strangely enough neither of them appear on the BCR so they haven't been registered. As for the Neo.'Kahala Midnight', well that doesn't appear to have been registered either, so big ???????? all around. What can I say about your cruenta 'Broadleaf' pup except, it's worth waiting for and you won't be disappointed.

Ian – I'm just looking at all of your freshly potted seedlings and thinking, “that's about where I was a couple of years ago” and now it's so overcrowded, there's no room to swing a cat; I think you'll need that second story sooner than you think mate.

Further to our discussion about various forms of Ae bromeliifolia, it looks to me (although not completely open), the flowers on your plant are a cream colour, and I think from memory those on Tash's rubra form as well as mine were cream coloured also, however the flowers of the albobracteata are different and are a nice bright green colour. (See Pic.1). Do you have this plant Ian? If not would you be interested in swapping a pup of yours for one of this? If you can manage a bit of seed from your plant I'd like a bit of that too, then I can say I have three different sorts.

I totally agree with what you say about “The seed parent ought to give the form and the pollen parent ought to give the colour”. Your inclusion of the word “ought” covers all bases. I, like many others have found if you make a general rule about brom's, sooner or later Mother Nature will surely break that rule, so very wise to add the word “ought”. I think when we start hybridising and playing around with a plant's genetic make-up, we can estimate fairly accurately how things will work out by applying Mendal's Law. I'm not going to attempt to explain this, but for anyone interested, a good explanation can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance
The bottom line is, that when applying these rules, we should never forget, their will always be exceptions, and that's what makes hybridising so interesting (the unknown factor).

As for the differences in my Neo.'Camelot' plants, it makes no difference to me as I like them all but it does make you look a bit of a “goose” when you show a pic of one to someone and send them a pup which turns out differently as happened to me when I sent a pup to Breeindy a while back. The thing is, with any plant that's a bit colour unstable, this can happen and it really makes showing a pic of the mother plant pointless. It will be interesting to see what your seedlings turn out like though.

Ian which of the brom sites on face book did you read about Neo Sun King? There's now so many different brom sites on there it really gets complicated for this old “computer unfriendly” bloke so every little bit of time saving advice is very handy.

Shirley – From what I'm hearing about Brisbane and points north there's a lot of unhappy brom growers with plants burning from the excessive heat. I guess it's time to bring out the off-cuts of shade cloth you've been putting away for a rainy day and throw them over your exposed garden plants.

Due to the unpredictable weather and especially the hot weather up north, I was going to wait until the following Monday before I posted parcels again just to make doubly sure that the mail is back to normal and plants aren't any longer in the post than they have to be. No problem with the Ae bromeliifolia rubra seed, I'll put some in your parcel when I send it.

I like your Neo.'Dr Oeser' Variegated', I've never seen this one before; I have one called Dr.'Oeser' (Special Red) (Pic.2) which I've had for years and although not much in the shape department, it still turns heads with its brilliant red colouring.

Doesn't it break your heart when you see a plant like your beautiful Neo.'Inkwell' damaged by the sun. Unfortunately it's always the upper more tender leaves that cop it and you can't trim or remove them without spoiling the look of the plant. It seems like Murphy's Law also when a plant get blown over by the wind and it's always a leaf in the centre that gets broken, not one on the bottom where they are easily removed..

I haven't seen Neo.'Leopard Ray' before and no doubt it's named after the marine 'Leopard Ray' as they are both spotted; however it's not my type and I much more prefer the Ae.'Melodrama'. I can't find it on the register, do you know if it's just a recent hybrid? That pinkish tinge around the outside part of the lower leaves looks interesting and suggests maybe more colour when it's an adult plant. You must share another pic with us when it's more mature.

Cody – Hi again, I'll bet a few of our Queensland growers wish they could have a bit of your cool weather up there where it's getting pretty hot and uncomfortable.

Theresa – I once saw how a very handy lady took an old umbrella frame and covered it with a shade cloth off-cut and just stuck the handle in the ground as temporary protection from the hot sun, but then she didn't have any wind to contend with so if you do that it too may finish up here in Aus.

Time to go again and today's pictures are Pic.1 Ae. bromeliifolia albobracteata showing the green flowers in close-up, Pic.2 is Neo.'Dr. Oeser' (Special Red), Pic.3 is another sample of Neoregelia seedlings from New Zealand's Peter Coyle. Pic.4 is a random shot in the Neo. shade house and Pic.5 a close-up of the flowers on Guz. Wittmackii.

All the best, Nev.

Hi Nev,i will be glad to share this cold weather for some warmer weather.I can deal with 100 degree weather any day over this cold weather.Our Winter is just getting ready to set in.Even though it's just about 4 months of it.It's to long of a cold spell for me.Lovely pics you have.I ready like the last one.It's cool looking.
Take care!!

Good Day

Cody

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 12:36 PM

barmera, Australia

Afternoon everyone. By gee you've got some good peepers Nev. Yes that is Ae. Orlandiana "stained glass" and the one in front is Neo. Concentricia x Charm x Cracker Jack. One of your babies. Looking good isn't it? Has a pup behind there too. The reason I went to a bigger pot was because the 5" kept falling over or getting knocked over by the cats and the 8" squat seem to be better for that reason. Ian you've certainly been busy. I'm afraid that I couldn't keep up with my seedlings and most of them have died out. I still have quite a few Mr O'dean seedlings that Nev sent to me and have managed to grow most of them on. I can't believe all the differences in the same plant. Will be interesting when they get to maturity. Managed to pot on a few more Broms yesterday and now must get off here and do some more. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

I was in a garden centre down the road from here ( 10 - 15 minutes drive ) & asked if they ever have broms.
The answer was yes, the price, usually $30.00...
out of my budget!
Maybe once I practice on some cheaper ones :)

Hi all, Boy did I stuff up last night offering seeds when the plant is just beginning to flower. I have plenty of Ae bracteata seeds to give away but not the Ae bromefolia as yet. What was I thinking. I am hopeful to be able to honour that offer in the future. Sorry about that.
Nev I have seedlings of Ae bromefolia var albobracteata about 4" high that I got from you in March last year. They seem to be doing well even with all this heat. At 9.00 pm it is only 30 degrees C.There is a slight breeze blowing, maybe blowing is too strong a word, whispering could be better and that makes it coolish or at least bearable.
I did nought with my broms today, back to painting again.
Nev I don't know where I saw the discussion, well which planet brom group anyway. Colette I think showed the Pic, Lisa made her comments and Carol thanked for the Identification. There were a couple of others as well but I forget who they were at the moment.
I have had a big day and now am tired and ought to get ready for bed.
Today my body is the boss.
Sorry no pics.
Have a good one all.
Ian

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Apologies in advance as this is going to be a long post as I have missed a couple of days and am playing catch-up from Dec’ and new Jan’ thread.

I have finally finished dead-leafing, de-pupping and cleaning all my Neo’s, Aechmeas, Nids’ and Bills’ in the 2 x large shade sail curtain garden beds. This just now leaves a few other garden beds to do where most of my pups live which is on top of the whole length of our retaining wall. I reckon there would be a good couple of hundred pups there, either pups I have brought or pups that have been taken off my broms, There are also broms situated under the avocado tree, mango tree, lemon tree, ginger and heliconia garden and one raised garden bed and then I am done I think, a good couple of weeks work and I will have them all done. At least cleaning pups will be a lot easier than cleaning fully grown broms. I have about 50 or so broms in the “Brom Retirement Village” and they are more than happy sitting under the Golden Cane Palm and I noticed they are all pupping very well; at least two or three pups per mother plant, some pups only have the roots left to suckle off but still look very happy and healthy.

I cleaned and weeded the nursery floor today and cut back shrubs and it looks pretty good in there now. Joe got a nice surprise when he got home from work.

Yesterday was partly spent sowing brom seeds and watering seedlings and then I spent the rest of the day indoors and lapped up the air-conditioning and it was so nice getting out of the heat for a bit. I also put together a document reflecting broms I currently have for sale as I have had many people ask for a list of what I have for sale but have not had a chance to do so till now over my holidays and it will be great to sell a little here and there so the money can go towards bromeliad supplies as I have pretty much chewed through most of what I had these past couple of weeks. I have already had some interest which is great. So far only about a 7 page doc that reflects Name, Picture, Price and Approx. Size. If anyone from this forum wants to see my list please send me a DMail and provide me with your personal email address and I can email you a copy.

Nev thanks Joe and I had a nice peaceful and quiet NY Eve and managed to not get “sloshed” on the Mango Champagne as I did not want to wake up with a hangover or headache, anything with bubbles gives me a headache if I don’t drink enough water in between, that’s the key. I hope that you and Ailsa also had a lovely NY Eve together, say a BIG HI to Ailsa for us.

Nev I spoke to my Mum today and she is keen for me to post her some more seeds to sow, I advised her she will need a bigger place soon with the amount of things she is trying to grow’ she definitely has the brom bug (like mother like daughter) he he.

Nev you are too right when you say reading books is a good sedative, I tried reading a couple of pages today when I came in to have a spell from the heat, with a good cup of tea in hand and a couple of pages into the chapter the book woke me up when it hit me in the head and I got that startled I spilt my tea all over me and the floor he he..

Nev one of the things I used to do before broms took over my life was to draw pictures with Indian ink and I used to also frame my own work. I became very interested in working with Indian ink way back in high school where I just would constantly draw with it although I also did really enjoy painting with oils but always went back to ink. My father was against my creative side and even when I saved up enough money to buy my own set of ink pens he forbid me to draw or paint as he wanted me to concentrate on my studies and said a living could not be made from drawing. Anyway in the end my art teacher kindly lent me his set of ink pens because he saw I was excelling with each drawing that I did and that I had a passion from drawing. Anyway I hid my pens from dad and would draw late at night when everyone had gone to sleep or early before I went to school each day. Anyway in the end dad caught me drawing and went to rip up the drawing I was working on and was blown away with the detail and not long after surprised me for my 16th birthday when he brought me my first set of ink pens, the exact same set my teacher had kindly lent me. I ended up drawing and painting a lot and sold my artwork through various galleries’ in Victoria as well as the Gallery on Hamilton Island where my artwork when sold got posted to different parts of the world. I have not drawn for a good couple of years since I got my glasses but plan to take it up again at some stage as I really miss it. I was mainly into drawing wildlife and like you I had a thing for old cottages and shacks in the out back and would often sketch them, or take photos of them and then go home and draw them. They were a great seller back then too and I pretty much sold everyone I did but kept a few that I did way back in my early years that Joe did not want me to sell. The money I made from selling my artwork was great and I probably could have given up work for some time but I did not want to rely on just that as like with everything there are always quiet times when things just don’t sell and then all of a sudden you get slammed for orders. The most expensive drawing I sold was just under 10K, it was a massive ink drawing of two Manta Ray’s swimming merrily in the sea and was a big job to frame and took me eight months to draw.

Nev Joe’s Orchid Paphiopedilum was produced from the two orchids that Bree kindly provided names and pictures of last month.

Nev those Pics of Peter Coyle’s Vrieseas are gorgeous; I could not pic a favourite as all of them are beautiful and full of life and colour.

Nev I so adore that picture of “Clyde”, what a beautiful boy he was and I can imagine he never left your side and was such a wonderful companion. Dogs have always meant so much to Joe and I and they are truly a big part of our family and are more welcome in our house then a lot of people we know.

Nev your broms look fantastic after the clean-up although your broms always look lovely in all the pics you share with us. Nev beautiful pictures you posted of the variations in Neo’ ‘Camelot’, all great looking plants and that pic of your Guzmania wittmackii in flower is stunning.

Hi Jean thanks for starting the new thread for the New Year, very kind of you to do so. I really liked the pics of your Kahala Midnight and Midnight, very pretty looking plants they both are.

Jean I spoke to my mum yesterday and she was putting off going outside to prune tip her roses because she said it was windy and cold outside and she did not want to catch a cold so instead she just read her bromeliad books and watched the tennis she had taped and thought about her broms outside and what she would like to work on next, like we all have a habit of doing he he.

Jean pleased to hear you liked Joe’s orchid, it was perfect timing that the flower opened right on Joe’s birthday, so he got to admire where I had it sitting on the coffee table that day.

Hi Bree nice orchid pics, thanks for provided the names and pics as it saved me asking Joe who has that stuff catalogued in a big orchid document he has that I don’t bother going into as it’s all about broms with me as much as I think orchids are beautiful he he.

Hi Colleen fantastic to see you back and great to hear you are feeling much better. Sounds like you are going to be very busy re-potting and removing pups off your broms. Remember to tackle it in small bursts and use a trolley to move then around where you can as this will really save your back heaps. I have just spent over a week working on a huge amount of my broms and thankfully my back did not give me any grief because of the way I set myself up and the trolley helped heaps.

Hi Cody Happy New Year to you and Alex. Also great to see you chatting with everyone about broms and sharing a pic of your Guz’ that looks like the pups are doing very well. So when are you going shopping for more broms as the one you have seems happy but it needs friends he he.

Hi Shirley thanks for the belated birthday wishes for Joe. We did have a great drive on the Saturday and jam packed as much as we could in our day and came how with some lovely treats.

Shirley fantastic to hear that Michael is feeling much better, all that work needing to be done around the place sounds daunting, so best he tackles it in small bursts and does not overdo it, especially in this heat as it really knocks you around.

Shirley we really enjoyed taking toys and blankets to the RSPCA and I took some more in over my holiday although I was sad to see so many of them in cages like that and wished I could have brought them all home.

Shirley I adored the pic of your “Alarm Clock” that appears to be smiling for the camera. Our little pooches wake us up at 5am most mornings and then after we have taken them for either a walk or a swim they crawl back into their bed and we are left wide awake but lacking sleep. Sometimes Lexi our sausage dog pulls the sheet covers off us and barks to wake us up, it is so funny to watch how frustrated she gets and they we normally scare her by yelling BOO when she least expects it and then she jumps on us and attacks us both playing.

Shirley what great pics especially Pic 2 Neo. ‘Apricot Nectar’ and Pic 3 Neo. ‘Hearts Music x Grace Darling’, both are beautiful looking broms.

Hi Teresa your so right about how the light falls in different parts of the garden, I really noticed same being home these past couple of weeks and it gave me a chance to adjust where I had certain bromeliads situated so either they could get more light or to protect them better. Wow Teresa $30 a brom sounds way too expensive, I wonder what type they were for that price?

Hi Ian your newly potted up seedling look fantastic, so neat and organised, definitely going potty as you say he he.

Check out all of the lovely pics of the seedling that Nev had sent me that are all growing big and strong. Sorry the light was a bit bright when I took the pictures: Nev I am so pleased with how they are all doing, I will post more pics next time. Some need repotting already.

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi Trish,thanks!!Happy New Year to you too.Thanks,i missed being on here with all my friends.I am glad to be back.Thanks,i hope to get another one this summer.I can't wait for these to flower.Love all your pics!!
Take care!!!

Good Day!!!
Cody

hi Trish, I never thought to get more details about the type of broms they get in at the nursery but I guess if they are Peter Coyle ones they'd be worth every cent.

Next time I have a bit of time off I am going to hop on the Orbiter bus that takes me right by the nursery & go in for a good look around.
Limited money & bussing should protect me from impulse buying :)

my furry alarm clock is set for 5.30am at the moment, I have been letting her outside then curling up on the couch with her for a bit of a sleep in.
Her snooze setting is pretty good - didn't move till 8am.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – What's that they say about the best made plans of mice and men? Well, yesterday was very much a wasted day as we had to get a couple of new tyres on my wife's car and a wheel alignment. After ringing six different places I decided on a well known company which I knew had a good reputation, and would you believe had the best price of the lot. I still couldn't believe there was $119 difference in price for the same two tyres and a wheel alignment between the highest and lowest quotes from six different places; it sure pays to shop around.

Anyway we had to leave the car at the tyre place for an hour and so decided to go in the ute to my daughters and kill the time there. As soon as we turned up I got a job taking a load of old white goods to the tip for her and her next door neighbour (incidently these are the only things you can now dump down here for free). I'd no sooner got back when another friend dropped in and as soon as he saw the old ute, puts it on me to go and pick up a load of timber for him from Bunnings. By the time we got back it was lunch time so my daughter made lunch and then we went and picked up the car . By the time we got home it was 2.00pm and the day was stuffed and so was I. I sat down and put my legs up because they were screaming out and I woke up at 5.25pm after my first ever “Nanny Nap”...... must be really getting old.

The good news is that it's cool and overcast here today, so a good day to get some work done among the brom's.

Colleen – I thought I recognised that plant and I was right, it was one from one of my first ever Neo. crosses and the range of colours and sizes they came in was unbelievable. Mostly in the mid range size but there was one which was a tad larger than Gee Whiz (about 26” across) and looked just like the concentrica parent in colour only the centre was mauve and not purple.(See Pic.3)

By the way, I hope you don't think I was having a dig at you about your choice of pot size; I was just making the point that I had to hang all of mine being only in 4” size or they would have all toppled over as well, but they did grow well, so I guess you can't have it all ways.

You mention you have quite a few Mister Odean seedlings that came from me. My advice would be not to be too hasty in culling them as I've had a few nice ones so far which are a little bit different. (See Pic's 1 and 2).

Theresa – Plant prices in garden centres seem about the same there to those here. A friend who works in a nursery and is a member of out brom society told us that they usually buy their commonly sold every day brom's for about what we charge our members for them ($8-$10). They then multiply this price by three and that's their retail price. This allows them to make a profit, allows for having to hold and look after them for a while as well as cover any losses. Some of the larger outlets like Bunnings buy cheaper in much larger quantities and sell at an even higher mark up. The thing is, if there are brom's in your garden centres, there must be growers in the area also and these are the places you need to find for a better deal.

Ian – I have found with both types of Ae bromeliifolia I have, they are always full of seed capsules which indicates to me these plants are self fertilising and therefore I don't expect yours will be any different, so I reckon you will get seed when it's finished flowering which is a while off yet. Although I knew your albobracteata seed was doing well, I made the offer of the pup just the same as even though in my experience all of my seed came true to the parent (as most species do), you can never be sure whether or not an insect has cross-pollinated the plant with something else and the resulting seedlings may not be true to form and knowing your interest in species I thought you may like one that was the "real deal".

I also have found the trouble with Face Book is there are so many different bromeliad “planets” it's difficult to know which one you read something on and consequently you end up wasting time you can't spare looking for things. Much better with just the one forum and sticking to that; at least I know where I am.

Trish – It seems you are a bromophile in every sense of the word and the brom's will soon be taking over your house as well. It seem to me your affliction is contagious as you seem to have infected your Mum with it as also Ha! Ha!

I for one would love to see a copy of you new listing as besides showing what you have available, it may give me some idea of a better way to go about listing my plants.

It must be quite a dilemma for you having to decide between your two loves of bromeliads and art and what makes it even better is that they are both produce product you can sell; although you won't make as much money from brom's as you did with your art work.

I had a young friend of our family who was doing pen and ink drawings and he became friendly with a young aboriginal artist who taught him all about “dot painting”. It finished up with him developing his own unique technique which was a cross between his pen and ink drawings and aboriginal styles. He died at the age of 42 of pancreatic cancer and his wife gave me a copy of one of his works which I'll treasure forever. It depicts the story of him and his family from birth to his death which he finished shortly before his death. It is a beautiful piece of fine detailed pen and ink work and finished with a subtle water colour wash of different nice soft pastel colours.

I too have had a long history with dogs and have always had dogs as far back as my first one when I was four. His name was “Lucky” and he was a stray who was almost run over by a metal truck outside our house at Dunmore. When we couldn't find any owner, Dad said I could keep him and we were great mates for years and went everywhere together. Like you, dogs have always been more welcome in our house then a lot of people we know...... See, now you've got me side tracked again.

That beautiful plant I showed of Guzmania wittmackii is a most unusual colour and although it is an apricot colour initially, it goes on to become more of a cross between peach and coral which is as hard to describe as it is to accurately capture with a camera. Like most of the flowers with reddish colours in them, this old photographer can never accurately capture the true colour so you'll have to trust me when I say it's different to the pic's on the FCBS or any other plants of this type I've seen before.

More importantly, it's a great example of the advantages of giving and/or swapping plants with true brom friends. The lady who owned the Mother plant told me she only ever had one pup and she gave that to me as a gift. Unfortunately, she has just informed me that deer have got into her yard and eaten her Mother plant completely. Luckily, my plant is showing two new pups just poking up their heads so in a few months time I will be able to return the favour and give her back a pup. How true is that old saying ............”What goes around comes around.”

Great pic's of your seedlings, they're really powering along and you've done me proud Trish; let's hope you can finish up with one or two good 'uns from them.

Cody – Hi! How's the weather going over there in the U.S.A?

Theresa – What is the “Orbiter Bus”; is it a free bus like the one we have up the road from here in Wollongong which is called the “Shuttle Bus”? Anyway if you do manage to have a look around the nursery, just remember it costs nothing to look, it's when you buy that the purse starts to empty.

Do you live anywhere near Peter Coyle's place “Totara Waters”? If so why don't you go and have a bit of a look around there. Tell him you've seen pic's of his plants I've been posting on here and you never know, you might just get a bargain.

Time to go again and I'll finish with firstly Pic's1 and 2 which are of my Neo.'Mister Odean' crosses to show Colleen what she could get from her little lot of seedlings when they mature (but be warned they are slow to colour up, but in my opinion are worth waiting for) Pic.3 is the largest plant I got from that original cross of Neo. concentrica x ['Charm' x 'Cracker Jack'] and as I said was about 26” across. Pic.4 is Nidularium 'Leprosa' and quite an attractive plant with that unusual spotting. Finally, Pic.5 which is the Neo Shade House after I had finished dead-leafing.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Its sunny here after a little rain overnight.
The wind is icy though so I wont be staying outside in it for long .

Ian, I am enjoying watching my seedlings grow but looking at all yours, I dread the day when they take over and I have to cull.
I only have vriesea seed growing at the moment which is enough for me to look after .
I was interested in your mention of the differences between neos Sun King & Yellow Devil.
I checked my two and found they are rightly named.
I did see a neo Sun King for sale on eBay, which it is definitely not as it has stripes on the underside of all the leaves.

I am getting very careful and checking the look of plants i want to buy with the pics on BCR and FCBS.

Shirley I never put the heater away even in summer , down here. Like today, the wind can be icy.
Love your vr Black Beauty.
I was outbid on one on eBay a while back.
There have been some real beauties on there, but way out of my price range.
My flower stems on the vrieseas are growing daily .
I am eagerly waiting on the tall one ( 20inches) on my heiroglyphica x Red Chestnut.
Being a cross it may look like either parent or be something new.

My nidularium fulgens has a pup coming and the center of the mother is starting to turn pink
I am out each day looking at the broms and finding something new all the time.

Teresa, if I see your bill nutans flying over, I will send it back on the next westerly wind we get ..lol
If I was able to send plants to NZ I would send you a bill Gerda.
She doesnt care what the weather is and has lived quite happily out in the open for years.
I did move some of the pups into the shadehouse so they are looking a bit cleaner than mum.

Trish, nice to hear that your mum is enjoying her broms. She is definitely going to need a bigger place when all the seeds start growing.

Nev, I have been buying squat pots on eBay for while now and find the 150mm are just right for most of my broms. I use the smaller 120mm for pups and small broms.
I was using normal type pots but as most broms dont seem to need the deeper root area, I switched to the squat pots. They are less likely to topple so easily too.

I should send all my white goods up your way. It costs quite a bit to take even one small microwave or toaster etc to the "transfer station "
We no longer have a tip.
Funny thing though, it still looks like a tip...lol

I feel guilty now after reading about all the broms being cleaned and deleafed.
Mine look nice to me but there are some dead leaves to come off.
I am wary of trying to do the larger vrieseas as I would hate to damage them .

Nev, you made me laugh at you having your first granny nap.
Hubby has been having a granny nap for years . Its just now that he has two. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.
They usually last about 3 hours , but the doc said it wont hurt to sleep if the body wants it.

I had better get myself motivated and do things domestic. Too cold to be outside just yet.
Hubby will need a cuppa anyway.

No pics today as I really havent had time to take any . I will get to it and take some new ones soon.

Hello to those I may have missed.
Cody, keep warm in your winter over there.

Jean.

Hi Nev,its very cold over here.It is 43 degrees now with a wind chill of 39 degrees.It will get down to 27 degrees tonight.Brrrrr!!!!Love your pics 3,4 and 5.Enjoy your day and Take care!!!

Good Day!!!

Hi Jean,thanks i am trying too.Hope you are having good weather for a change.Hope your husband gets well soon.Take care!!!!

Good Day!!!!

Cody

barmera, Australia

Afternoon everyone. Boy I though I was reading a book today with all the goings on. Lovely to spend time just " listening" to you all. I have been out there de-pupping again. It started to get a bit warm in the sun so had to move. I have another 12 or so plants pulled out of the SH to fix but will wait for the sun to go over a bit further. I don't know where I'm going to put the pups that I repot but I'm sure that I will find somewhere. As Nev said, you just seem to have it right and you have to depup again. Makes life interesting doesn't it? The pic I put up yesterday of AE. nudicaulis "costa rica" was so pretty with it's pinks, browns and greys, so soft, that it really caught your eye. The pic doesn't do it justice but I still thought it was lovely. Thanks Trish for the welcome. Yes, I do use a trolley and the sack-truck where I can. The boys are a great help too. They always use the sack-truck for the chook food and take it up the back and tip it into the bin for me. All I have to do is open it and feed the chooks, and ducks [2] plus 4 eggs being sat on as we speak] and 1 female goose called Jemima. The Peking Ducks are called Doogal and Rosella. The boys also have a kitten each that someone dumped at my son's place. They're both males , I couldn't believe it, and their names are Willow and Forest. They're about 3 months old now.The boys love them as it's their first animals for them to look after. They empty the tray and get their food bowls and give them clean water. Spoilt little cats. Trish I nearly spilt my cuppa reading your bit about the book therapy. I still haven't finished your books yet Nev. I have them all printed and put up in my book shelf so will get around to doing it one day when I need some other therapy than gardening. lol Must go and do some more broms. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Sadly Totara Waters is way up in the North Island & I am down in the South Island...
would love to go see it one day - it looks amazing online.

http://maps.aa.co.nz/

Totara Waters is in Whenuapai ( pronounced fen - oo ah pie)

I'm in Christchurch.

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

OMG, can it get any hotter. We hardly left the house today, it was like stepping into an oven to go outside. I ventured out about 5:30 pm, it was still very hot but I wanted to start watering the gardens and broms. It was even worse than I thought, so many plants look like they have been fried.

Even tough, sun hardy things like agaves, aloes and pandanas have burn marks on their leaves, even the frangipanis look pretty sad. I guess it’s because it’s so dry, we haven’t had rain for ages. And the broms … well, if anyone prefers theirs cooked, I have a few I can offer you. I covered those in the garden I thought most at risk but because I put the shade cloth directly on top of them, they burnt anyway and there were only so many I could cover :o(

Enough of my whinging …

Cody, nice to see you posting again. I would gladly take some of your cold weather here.

Teresa, I haven’t noticed your pots going past here but then they would hardly blow this far north. Jean would have a better chance of spotting them.

Nev, thanks for the offer of the Ae bromeliifolia rubra seed, they look to be lovely plants. I will still post your plants off on Monday. They should be fine in a Styrofoam box and heading south.

Nev, Ae Melodrama is very similar to Ae Melanocrater, which is registered but has no photo, possibly the same cross ??

Colleen, that a really lovely aechmea in your pic … is that one of Nev’s.

Nev, I remember seeing some pics of your Orlandianas ‘Stained Glass’ and ‘Pink Something’ which you posted a little while back … if you happen to have a spare pup of any one of them, I would love to adopt it.

Ian, you should take a couple of days rest before you have to return to work.

Trish, boy do you sound like you have some work ahead of you, but very enjoyable work no doubt. I would love to see your list of broms for sale, please.

Is there no end to your talents, Trish, your Indian Ink drawings sound so lovely. I can almost see those two manta rays swimming, I am so envious.

Nev, love those neo mister odean crosses.

Jean, I had a giggle at your reference to your ‘transfer station’ still looking like a tip. We used to have a “dump” but it’s now a Refuse Recycling Depot. At least residents can still dump for free, except for stuff like car bodies. They also have free mulch but you have to load it yourself, not much of that happening at the moment, I’ll bet.

I’m also guilty of regular nanny naps … actually I prefer to call them ‘power naps’ as I always feel so much better afterwards.

Speaking of naps, I think I might call it a night, this heat has us all flagging. No photos tonight.

Bye for now, Shirley

Hi Shirley,sorry to hear that it is so hot their.Also sorry to hear that your Broms are being cooked in the weather.Thanks!!! It's good to be back.I would be glad to send you some of this cold weather for your warm weather.

Even though it was in the 40's yesterday,i went walking and came back sweating.I may even go again today.After today it will be real cold again.Bummer!!!! Take care!!

Good Day!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Here it is Sunday already and hopefully another nice day. I spent yesterday morning watering half of my collection and in the afternoon I started on the weeding and dead-leafing of the plants in the garden section beneath the shade cloth on the northern side of my yard. Although feeling pretty stuffed at the end of the day, I feel I did have a pretty productive day and packed everything up feeling quite satisfied with myself.

Jean - It's hard for me to imagine you experiencing icy winds at this time of the year, although I suppose there is still a bit of snow left on the mountains and that's where that's where the wind is coming from. Snow's not really my cup of tea, I saw snow once and that did me and I had no inclination to see to ever again but I was eventually pressured by the kids to take them when they were younger, so off we went again. I told them that the next time they went it would be when they were old enough to drive themselves.

Your mention of Nidularium fulgens prompts me to mention that this year I have a better selection of Nidulariums in flower that I ever have before. I don't know why, but previously they used to flower spasmodically throughout the year but this years they all seem to be coming out at the same time. They do have beautiful flowers and I often wonder why more people don't grow them as they are a very handy plant and will often grow and flower in shady environments where nothing else will grow.

Regarding plastic pots, I find the most common types used by growers in our society are all of the squat type and range in the following sizes; 100mm (4”) 125mm (5”0)and 150mm (6”) and 200mm (8”) for some of the larger plants. As I have said before, I find my plants grow much better when under-potted, but this does present the continual problem of them toppling over easily when they gain a bit of size. I have had a Vr. hieroglyphica large enough to flower while still growing in the original 4” pot. Although it was sitting among other plants in the garden, the roots had made no attempt to grow down into the ground with just a few sneaking out of the pot just amongst the mulch. Because most of the common brom's we grow are all originally epiphytes I guess they have no need for the confines of a pot and many are quite happy just sitting on top of the ground, on a rock or in a tree. We the growers just put them in pots for our own convenience.

Dead leafing a brom won't cause any damage as long as it's done properly. Always start from the dead leaf which is on the outside and work your way in. Before attempting to pull the dead leaf off, I usually cut it off about 3” up from the bottom and then split it down the middle. I then pull each half leaf away from the centre. Never pull off the whole leaf in one piece as you can easily rip off any tiny pup nodules which are just starting to peep out of the base of the plant. By dividing the leaf and pulling each half away from the centre, the new pup nodes are protected from any damage. Also by clearing off any dead growth from around the base, the new pups have less obstacles to push through as they start their growth and you are also robbing scale and some of the fungus pests of a place to breed.

Cody – It's too cold for me over where you live; I think I'll stick to our weather even though it is unpredictable.

Colleen – I love the Ae. nudicaulis plants with the various patterns and twisting growth habit. Often they are forgotten until the brilliant scarlet bracts initially make their appearance to remind me they are about to flower. I have one plant in particular, Ae. nudicaulis var. aequalis that is full of seed every year and all of the experts on another forum were adamant it was always self pollinated as it would never accept the pollen from another plant. Because it is a species, all seedlings resulting from that seed should be the same as the mother plant, (Ae. nudicaulis var. aequalis)

Because I liked this plant so much I decided to grow some of this seed and increase my stock. They germinated and grew easily, but as they grew it soon became apparent they weren't all going to be the same, as foliage colours varied. Once they reached adulthood, it was obvious they were a hybrid of some type as apart from the difference in foliage colours, they all lacked the “thumb print” or indentation at the base of the leaves which is a common identifying feature of Ae. nudicaulis. When eventually they did flower they lacked the brilliantly coloured bracts with most of them being a pale pink in colour, and the flowers weren't yellow like the nudicaulis flowers either and ranged through various pastel colours of similar shape to those of Ae gamosepala. In fact they were just like gamosepala flowers except they were more spaced out on the inflorescence and were various colours. I'm not an “expert”, but my guess is that the pollen parent was the gamosepala which was growing nearby.

It's good to see the boys have a collection of pets, and it's a pity all kids don't have the same opportunity. I think it teaches kids responsibility as once they realise that these pet depends on them for their food and water they then take on the role of “keeper” which is a 24/7 job.

I'm afraid your two ducks may well finish up on the table as “Peking Duck” if they lived here (but don't tell the boys that); incidentally; just a gentle reminder for Trish as she was going to send me her recipe for this delicacy.

I'd forgotten all about the reading material I sent you, anyway it won't deteriorate as it waits patiently for a bad weather day when you can sit back with your feet up and read some of it.

Theresa – It never occurred to me that you might be on a different island to “Totara Waters”, in fact I never did geography at school so it's one of my weak points, but I guess you can always look at the pictures on Peter's web site and dream.

Shirley – I see on the news last night that 2013 was our hottest ever year since they started keeping records, so it's no wonder you're copping the heat up there, and what's more they say the Brisbane area can expect more of the same, so not nice to look forward to. Shirley when I covered my brom's with shade cloth “off-cuts” as an emergency measure, I put a few random short stakes in among the plants just so the shade cloth wouldn't be touching them. This seemed to successfully prevent the transfer of heat from the hot shade cloth to the plants.

I don't have either Ae.'Melodrama' nor Ae.'Melanocrater' but I do have a Neo. of that name, (Neo.'Melanocrater') but I can't find any records for that either. It's a rather large Neo. of the spotted type and very similar to Neo.'Moby Dick'. In fact I sometimes wonder if it is 'Moby Dick' and carrying the wrong name tag, but I have nothing to compare it with so if anyone on this site has a plant of Neo.'Melanocrater', could you please post a pic.

I'll put you down for a pup of Ae. orlandiana 'Stain Glass' and I already have you down for Ae. orlandiana 'Touch-a-Pink'. A lot of them have pups on them now but I still haven't got around to taking them off yet, but if there's any that you want which are ready, you're next on the list.

What used to be our local tip is now the “Recycling and Waste Disposal Depot” (same thing different name); except once, all rate payers would be issued with a small red sticker when we paid or rates and if we showed that on our windscreen, all dumping was free plus you could get a ute load of mulch for free every time you took a load of green waste providing you loaded it yourself. If you wanted the machine to load it the charge was a reasonable $5. Well now we have the fancy new name change, to tip a ute load of garden waste costs $22 and to tip a mixed ute load of waste is $94. Is it any wonder that a lot of people now chose to dump their rubbish in bush land?

I'll finish with a few more random Neo pic's I took after the 'big clean up'

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
The sun is shining and its a nice cool morning.
Supposed to get up to around 38C, but down here thats nothing like the heat you all get further north.
I know what its like from when I lived in northern WA for over 20 years.
Yesterday was cold and windy but did improve by evening , just when one is inside...lol

Shirley, I was looking at a couple of my broms that have small burn marks from our very hot day a few weeks ago.
Now I hear about your poor broms , I am sorry I was moaning about such a minor thing compared to your poor cooked fellows.
I hope you can save most , at least for pups to come from them.

I have found that even though the direct sun itself can do plenty of damage, its the high air temps that can affect even those with cover.
The only solution would be to cover the entire property with a climate controlled cover ..
I can picture lots of enormous igloos all over the place....lol

Sorry Shirley and anyone else with the heat problems. I am not meaning to make light of your poor broms damage.

Nev, I had to laugh at you having a granny nap. Now you may find it becomes a habit...lol
You would have needed one after all that running around.
Utes are like that, they attract work..

Teresa, keep looking around as you are sure to find a brom seller on the south island...
Keep an eye out if you are walking anytime as you may see broms in a garden and can ask about pups.

Colleen, I always said you would need a second storey on your brom house.
The dear things seem to multiply overnight.One minute you have a new empty brom house , next they are spilling out the door...lol

Cody, you definitely need a another brom as a friend for the one you have.
They are such pretty plans to have around.

Hello to everyone and i hope all those not well are soon feeling much better.

I finally took a few new pics yesterday.

pic 1..one of my new tills leiboldiana var guttata

pic 2...till leiboldiana ex Panama

pic 3...neo Rosetta, looking beautiful.

pic 4... neo Lila. color is more bright pink than camera shows.

pic 5... a very pretty noid.

Jean.

t

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi Nev,sure you can handle our kind of weather,its nothing to it.He he!!! I am ready for Spring though.Don't enjoy that warm weather to much.He he!!! I did go walking again.Love the color in pic 1.It is very lovely.Take care!!!

Good Day!!!

Hi Jean,i will wait until the summer to get another one.Sounds like you need some warm weather as well.Nice pic!!!Stay warm!!!Take care!!!

Good Day!!!!!

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Jean I was only looking at my Neo Lila yesterday and thinking how pretty it is. There's so many really nice coloured centred ones. I was out in the SH watering this morning, Oh my so much work to do. All the time I'm in there I'm thinking. The old brain is going full on about all those pups to take off and if I move this here and move that there. lol. Nev, your Neos are looking beautiful. It's a full time job to keep them looking so good. The rewards are great though when you take a visitor in there and they say OHhhh. Wow. I have an elderly Aunt 84, who comes to see me at least once a year and she always tells her daughter that she's not taking any more plants from Colleen's this time but she always finds something that she can't resist. lol It was Geranium cuttings this time. She's a wonderful Lady and a mine of infomation. I love to listen to her relate stories of her nursing years in the outback. Tough times. Well I had better get moving and get some more broms repotted. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Hi all, It is nice and hot here, did someone say 43. well that was in my bush house yesterday. Nearly the same as yours Cody, except that we use Celcius and you use farenheit. ours is 109.4. I found plenty of shade for myself.
Today I watered again and am surprised to find the Ae lueddemanniana group in full sun not too bad. I thought they would be fried to a crisp but they are only bleached. I will let well enough alone. I rested today and only had a 1/2 hr nanna nap. I have been making sure the roots have plenty of water so that the roots can keep up with the evaporation. Well that is my thinking anyway. Some plants just had to be moved a while ago as they were burning in early November. Not only have I got seedlings to deal with I also have a few plants with pups on them just waiting to be removed and then need to be located. A few pups that I have I am looking at for breeding stock. Some will make it and others I will get rid of. Some I have no choice as some plants are replacement puppers only. Neo Pitch Black is supposedly one of these.
That's all folk.
Have a good one.
Ian
Pic 1 Bill Golden Joy 01 01 2014
Pic 2 Flower from 1
Pic 3 Neo Yellow Devil
Pic 4 Bill Afterglow
Pic 5 Neo Yellow King and Medallion U S A

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

Hi Ian,sounds like you have been pretty busy yesterday.Wow i hope you do stay in the shade when you are out Ian.It is 10:49 am and it is 50°F now.So it will not go up much more then that today.Its already rained here this morning.Love pic 1.Take care!!!

Good Day!!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Well the weekend's gone and we start another week; it will soon be Easter or so Woolies would have us believe as they already are selling Hot Cross Buns, can you believe that?
Anyway I spent yesterday finishing up tidying the area I was working on and in the afternoon went back to de-pupping and dead-leafing Neo's – there seems no end to it as there's more to do today.

Jean – Protecting your plants from the heat can be pretty exasperating at times and it seems what ever you do there's no escaping the heat damage. You don't necessarily have to live in a very hot climate to get sun damage to your plants, it's quite often the sudden (unexpected) rise in temperature that causes the most damage, as your plants just don't have time to adjust to that sort of change. Even if you live in an area where the normal temp is 18-20 degrees, a sudden unexpected rise to 30-34 for a couple of days will see your plants in trouble. If you live in some of the hotter areas where 35-38 is pretty normal, your plants won't suffer at all as they are acclimatised to that.

As you say, it's not just the sun that causes the damage, it's the high air temps as well. This can dehydrate small seedlings especially, in as little as a couple of hours. I remember during the last heat wave we had, I went to check on my babies which are in a covered in area on the southern side of the house and although protected from any overhead sun, were still open to the south with just shade cloth on the wall. On that particular day the dry westerly wind was swirling all around and coming from all directions. When I went to check on the seedlings the air was so hot, my nostrils were stinging and I knew if I didn't do something quickly the seedlings would just frizzle up. I know we are told to never water in the hot part of the day but I didn't have a lot of choice because if I hadn't done anything I would have lost the lot, so I got the hose and after draining the (hot) water out of it (which seemed to take forever), I set the nozzle on “fog” and let it go at everything. It worked a treat and you could almost hear the seedlings sighing with relief. I kept doing this on and off every hour or so and eventually the wind died down a bit and I was able to turn it off again as there was sufficient moisture around to maintain a healthy humidity.

I'm just reading your words to Colleen, “One minute you have a new empty brom house , next they are spilling out the door” and I can say that truer words were never spoken and I'm sure we all reach that situation sooner or later.

Nice pic's you've posted and as I'm always interested in looking at NOIDS I'm immediately drawn to the Neo in the last pic. I can't give you definite ID, but it does look very similar to a pup from 'Lambert's Pride', however another pic when it reaches maturity may well tell a different story.

Cody - I think you had just better stick to your climate and I'll stick to mine. That way we'll both be happy.

Colleen – It seems we have a bit in common because when I'm watering, my brain is doing exactly the same as yours as I plan what my next job will be.

That's a nice looking plant of Neo.'Carolinae Tricolor' in your pic. It's a good clean plant and very well grown, congratulations! When you see a result like that you really do know you must be doing all the right things.

Ian – I too was a bit surprised to see just how well Ae lueddemanniana tolerated the heat and the plant I have that was almost fully exposed came through our previous heat waves with just a few minor burns.

It seems now that Mother Nature has turned up the temperature control we have to be constantly on alert and be prepared to continually juggle plants from one position to another; in fact, it would probably be easier to cover the whole yard with shade cloth and be done with it.

That's a beautiful Bill in your first pic with its magnificent heavily spotted foliage, but it's not the Golden Joy on the BCR which was bred by Bill Morris back in 1990. That Bill.'Golden Joy' has (according to the description, violet petals) although the colour shown in the pic looks to be pale green unlike the deeper coloured ones on your plant.. The Golden Joy on the BCR doesn't have near as much nice spotting as your plant does either; I have 'Golden Joy' and it's nowhere near as nice as your plant. Your plant is far superior in every aspect.
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=BILLBERGIA&id=878#878

I may be wrong, but I think your plant is the grex sibling of 'Golden Joy' which circulated for many years under the unregistered name of Bill.'Golden Joy (purple clone)' until it was eventually registered by Geoff Lawn as Bill.'Golden Joy Purple' In 1998.
See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=BILLBERGIA&id=11545#11545

Bill. 'After Glow' is beautiful plant which was bred by Don Beadle in 1983 from a crossing of Bill. vittata x 'Poquito Blanco' . It is another of those beautiful plants that really comes into its own when displayed with the sun behind it so it can really display its beautiful colours

In your pic of Neo.'Yellow King' and Neo.'Medallion', although both are beautiful plants, as far as my tastes go, I think 'Yellow King' is the nicer of the two.

Nothing more to do than say g'day to anyone still on the sick list, get well soon; and also g'day to any of the regulars who are still getting over the Christmas break.

I'll finish today with pic's of a few Neo's on the assembly line awaiting de-pupping and re-potting.

All the best, Nev.

Merino, Australia

Good morning , its 8C here at the moment.
Thankfully the very strong winds have gone ( for a while anyway)
Its been time for heaters and electric blankets.
That will sound silly to those up north.

We will get a few warn days again by the end of the week. The rain wasnt very much so I am back to watering the pot plants.

My broms will be wondering why I have them outside in the cold...lol

I must get a pic of my neo Gezpacho later as I notice it has a large bud in the middle.
I have not seen this on any other broms. Usually, I miss any of the small buds until they open.
This one seems to be just a very large single bud.

Ian, your bills are lovely.
There is something very attractive about the spotty ones.
Hallelujah was my introduction to the world of pretty bills.

Colleen, maybe I should come over and relocate a few of your broms ....lol

Nev, thanks for the hints on deleafing. I remembered your tips from a previous thread.
I will get to them as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.
My aech nudicaulis are looking very nice and I would love to have one of aequalis when you have a spare pup , please Nev.

Just read your last post, Nev. I too, use a very fine mist spray on hot days. Always have done with my plants, as I feel better when I get a cool shower in the heat, so plants must too.

Time I went out and fed the maggies. I can hear them squabbling at the back door.
Worse than having children around, but very entertaining with their antics.

Get well wishes for anyone not feeling 100%.
My hubby is certainly looking better after the little bit of a relapse last week.

pic 1....I am using hubbys soft drink bottles for my tills.

pic2... neo Fairy Tale

pic 3...neo Tunisia

keep safe
Jean

This message was edited Jan 6, 2014 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.