CLOSED: 2013 Fall Round Robin - On the Wing (Round 1)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad to see you posting. Let me know if you have any questions about shipping - at this point it's anyone's guess.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, my ear is better. I went to the doc yesterday and they cleaned everything out.

Here are pics of the contents of the robin, and my takeaway. I wish I could take more, but there are more seeds than I could use in a lifetime! LOL

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That was thoughtful of you Iowhen...look at the bounty. However, you just revealed your bark is worse than your bite -- you didn't lighten the load much at all! What are those big seeds on the left in your takeaway?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

guess i better get my seeds around It is a BITTER COLD Here today

quession anyone Know How many are going to be into the 2nd time around ? so i know about haw many PKS of each of my seeds to add ? or just a guess .

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I want in on the 2nd time around.

sorting my seed stash today so i may have other seeds to share also .

Athens, PA

Iowhen - glad your ear is better. I get ear infections quite frequently, so I know how painful they can be.

Susie - I plan on being in the Robin the 2nd time around as well.

Are you all wintersowing your seeds? I was thinking of starting my seeds in a coldframe about late February - March. Thoughts?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll be in the second Round. :D

Ummm, I have only just put my MW seed in the fridge that need stratification. If I though I could count on winter temperatures here I would w-s but may do more annuals this way in the spring.

Susie...you need tithonia from me and something else...? O.. the Spanish Flag. If there are no more in the current robin ease let me know. I think I included something for you in the private trade bag, but can't remember what...

Gypsy... I can't believe you went thru the stash so quickly! Will you still be looking to ship Monday? Looks like mippi is present and accounted for.

Going to settle in and enjoy my blanket. In fact, I think I'll let court fend for himself for dinner. This weather has done something to my sinuses and have had a migraine all day. :/

Below, my amaryllis bulb brought up from the basement today, all green and waiting to burst!!! :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Athens, PA

Amanda - it is good for Court to get dinner together. Feel better soon - migraines can be real pain (no pun intended - they just last forever)

Love the amaryllis bulb. I need to go and check mine out in the cellar. What color is your amaryllis?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Robin, you're right - I haven't taken nearly enough. In fact, this would be a fantastic time to use the bounty to make seed bombs. I've been talking about it for years, and so I think I have convinced myself to go back in and demolish some wildflowers. ;)

Amanda, there are no Tithonia left or I would have taken some. I don't recally seeing Spanish Flag, but I can double check.

I did go through kind of quickly, but almost made myself late to work today because I couldn't stop ogling. I have oohed, aahed, giggled, gasped and possibly even whinnied over all the wonders in those bags.

I put up a hoop house this fall for seed starting. I will start natives early, but that is not until mid-March around here.

Ha, ha...atta girl!

We'll be expecting pictures of that bloomin hoophouse so don't forget about us. I'll be in round ll, I heard Santa's got more goodies to go in.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, and to answer your question, Amanda, about sending the Robin sooner? I finished pawing through this afternoon, and then left for work. I'm still at work, until 11pm CT, and it's unusually slow so I have a little time to goof off. Tomorrow morning is Family Quality Time, so I won't get to the post office again until Monday.

Some pics of the hoop house are here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1341342/

It's currently holding back about 8" of snow - what has drifted up against the south side. :)

G

Nice little hoop house Gypsy, I can see many happy hours playing in that.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I'm so GLAD you reconsidered and have jumped back in for more seed. :D

Enjoy your day. I'm laying low with the cold thing going on. Did something new today - went to our local farmers' market this morning which was not the bustling place it always is . . . and found a lady hawking, among other things, trays of moss. Now, I know moss doesn't transplant well and is hard to grow outdoors unless you build your world around it. But she gave me some to try (we felt compelled to give her a dollar!) and I made four little terrariums for my moss.

I said to Court, "THIS is a hobby. Gardening is not a hobby."

Anyone have any luck with moss in terrariums? It's my first time, I'm pretty sure I get it, but time will tell.

xo

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold today Had to get stocked up today for they are calling for a Possible 12-15" of fresh snow & we have about 6" Now & it is getting bitter cold , I Made the Best CABBAGE & MEATBALL Soup Added A few Sweet potato & Hot Peppers Oh my Warms the Tummy for real . right now Just trying to get warm .
Had to put up a few Tarps & Spread More Straw for the chickens ,
Its starting to Snow now , Guess I will draw a few jugs of water just incase we Lose power once again I Sure hope not.

Ya all have a great eve .

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

My moss story. We were in Rome walking through the Forum and we had found a nice rock to sit on and my shoe knocked off a piece of moss. So I took it with me. I babied that little piece of moss the rest of the trip and then snuck it into the country. It lived a few years before finally dying one hot summer. I would be interested in knowing how your moss does. I'd love to do some in those hanging glass blobs they sell now, maybe in the shower window. Of course it wouldn't be "Forum" moss, LOL.
. . . poor cold chickens.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Weeeeeird - I made a post here about 10 hours ago and it's not here. Maybe I forgot to hit send. I was tired and the cat was pressuring me. :)

But that's okay, because for those of you who don't keep up with Iowa current events, we are having a cold snap. The temp has been dropping all morning, and we are almost out of Farenheits. There will be no farting around outside, or even going anywhere else to fart around.

So I have gone into the robin a third time, to try to reduce the weight volume. Just by putting some of the smaller seed collections into smaller bags, I have shaved off quite a bit of bulk. And you chaff lovers, please don't hate, but I have taken a lion's share for my compost pile.

I will update later with pics and weights, but I'm going to guesstimate the total cargo to be under 4 lbs, not counting the shipping box.

Good job Gypsy, lightweight and cleaned -- I'm sure the next one in line will be very appreciative.

BTW, winter dictates no farting around here either.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Total cargo = 4.1 lb

Total weight removed 10.9 oz

First photo is the slimmer robin, second is my final take.

She leaves tomorrow!

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen

ROBIN DID YOU GET SNOWED IN UP YOUR WAY ?
they snow is up to my KNEES In some areas here but all in all we have about 10"in the drive & still More falling over night , We have not had this much snow in all the yrs i have lived here & That is 20 yrs now .
a guy came & plowed the drive about 10 am & you cannot tell he was here pic one is out my door going to the potting shed. its about 15 + inches & pic 3 you can see its half way up my little wishing well .
well I have 5 small chicks ready for lights out so good night all .

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

I guess you'll get this in the morn Susie, we did get about 10" and we're expecting another 10". We're not even in the snowbelt. Just getting ready to go dig ourselves out...before the really cold hits.

What I would do for a cup of CABBAGE & MEATBALL soup with few added sweet potato & hot peppers...mmm!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Robin, sign on for a guy to come plow the driveway. We did and it was the most wonderful present I enjoyed while living up north. Did know folks did that.

Jan...d'ya know how many seeds I could buy for the money I could give a plow guy? That's a lot of seeds!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That soup did sound intriguing.

For some reason I ended up making fish chowder with cod filets I'd had in th freezer and some ham and beans with potatoes to speed along the holiday ham leftovers. I've not been much of a cook my adult life as work was always in my way. More of a holiday baker. But I'm getting better at throwing things together. With everything on the internet now and having TH kindle/tablet to cart around with recipes it's never been easier. Except maybe to let someone else cook. Stretch, yawn...

Guess I'll try to catch a few more winks. Going to be cold here too, but clear, thankfully. Stay safe.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I've gone ahead and removed kantzklan from our shipping list as I've not had response to communications.

Susie, you used to give away a prize to the person who could guess when the Robin would return home to you. My grab bag is empty right now, but I suppose by the time the bird arrives home I could have something lined up. :)

Should we start guessing?

Well AMANDA If all Goes as Plan & WEATHER Permits I will guess the Robin to be back in your hands about FEB 28 th if everyone gets it out on time :) right now we are snowed in if we get mail today I will be very surprised looked outside & there is about 20" in spots &
up to my knees going out to the coops .waiting for daylight so i can clear a path.

been working on my seed stash so i will have my seeds ready to go into the robin.
well time for more coffee ya all have a great day .

Iowhen dress warm if you go out today

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Deejay9, it's -13 and still dropping. The arctic "breezes" have been pummeling the hoop house door against a cement block, so I need to prop something against it to keep it closed. Something that will not freeze to the ground. Too cold to add a latch!

Brrrrrrrrrrr

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

OK I think we all know who the garden "freaks" are. I just took some "before" shots of an area in my garden where lots of these seeds are going to planted in spring. I will be taking pictures of other areas I will be seeding as I get them prepared. I'd love to see where your "robin seeds" are going to grow and then when they are all up and beautiful we can share those pics too! This area was fenced in 2013, so now that it is deer resistant I am making a "Bee and Butterfly nectar garden" here and moving the "Butterfly garden" out in the pasture (Asclepias are not deer food). The plastic cups are protecting some newly germinated "Chocolate Daisy". All those pots against the greenhouse are glads, the gophers like them way to much. The last shot is off of the other end of the greenhouse. You can see the "vege garden" and the "guesthouse" above.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Lovely, Dee! Thanks for sharing!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oops. Your freak flag is showing.

This year I WILL move that giant aster to make room for it and others.

This year I WILL move the elephant ears that Court loves but takes up way too much of my precious full Sun space in the middle of my rudbeckia jungle.

This year I MAY move some of the giant mums that are taking up (again) way too much of my precious full Sun space.

This year I WILL start by w-s or indoors by February those things that I MUST have. :)

Sigh.

I will NOT think about the likelihood that this will be my last summer in this house. :/

A.

IS anyone else going to take a guess as to when the robin will make it back to amandas
My guess was FEB 28th .

snow UPDATE Look at yesterdays compared to todays we now have over 20" out my front door to the car & you can see my brothers cat or ZOEY's cat Merlin is trying to get back home , & my wishing well is completely buried today so snow is over 2 ft
off to play

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

My guess is March 7, 2014.

Susie, temps here are below zero, we have over 2' too, got lots of excercise shovelling the past week. I trudged my little butt to the Post Office today for a seed trade anyway...I swear it was uphill both ways!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I'll say Feb 24, my birthday.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'll take March 1st!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Robin you are a gal after my own heart.... Why of course why didn't I realize the plow guy wouldn't be a bargin....

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I'll guess Mar 6th.

The robin is in the air again, on its way to Robin!

Robin's waiting in the wings to receive the pass, probably on the same day LazLo will need our thoughts, prayers and well wishes...which is Wednesday. I hope you all will be thinking of him.

God Speed LazLo.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I missed something - what's up with Lazlo?

More about LazLo here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1346546/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.