CLOSED: 2013 Fall Round Robin - On the Wing (Round 1)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It's so nice and quiet. :D

Yes, Jan. Viburnum valley dropped out. Lanakila surfaced but not in time for me to ship to her. So you are getting the Robin sooner than you would have.

A reminder...I was out collecting seed today and when I began to go thru my seed boxes came across the seeds I removed from the past Spring Robin which were not properly marked. I didnt have time to post that list before it shipped but will finish that so if there are things someone wants I'll include for you in the second round.

If the box comes to you with unmarked seed without name, species information, or date of origin (2011 or better) I command you (muahhhhhahhahah) to remove it and let me know immediately.

I have been watching too much of ABC' s "Once Upon a Time" fairy tales where every good and bad witch and sorcerer is always making commands/demands.

All in good fun here and to maintain FAIRNESS and INTEGRITY of the 2013 Fall Round Robin.

As always, thanks for playing.
A.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Which reminds me...I need some 'Dream Shade'!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Mmmmmmmmm... Waiting... Lolol

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

The box was delivered this afternoon. It's moving pretty quickly.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Not dreamshade!!!

I'm sure we can find something else in the Solanaceae family less toxic. ;)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I came home this afternoon to a wonderful surprise... Yes, yes the seeds have indeed arrived. I will have to get another box, as there was a big rip in the side of it. Me thinks the postman must have wanted in on the seeds.

And all I wanted to do was dig in, but DH and I were both starving so I fixed dinner for us, then put Gracie outside as she wants to see what I'm doing, then set down to start going through this gem of a box...

Let me say, I can't get over all the many wonderful seeds that are in the box. Participants you are so generous and amazing, I wish I could tour the USA and see each of your gardens from whence came these incredible seeds. I'm half way through looking at each name of every bag and finishing up my muhy grass and bagging.... Went out to Walmart to get more of the small bags and what did I do, I get these really tiny ones... oh well I hope yall don't mine them.

Amanda would you please dm me the next person, LazLo------TX name and address so I can get the label ready and I will take the seed box to the PO on Monday.

Over and out as I'm now returning to the box...LOL

Jan

This message was edited Nov 23, 2013 10:44 PM

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Question Time : Anyone here Grow black Mondo grass what can you tell me about it ? like growth habit . ? also anyone have any low growing white datrua ? or DBL Yellow ?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1005/black-mondo-grass.php Deejay9 this link should help you with info on the black mondo grass.

Jan

Susie, I have Black Mondo Grass on my 'want' list, its a shade lover, doesn't expand very quickly and provides a beautiful contrast to leafy greens!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/663/

TY Robin I found that but i thought maybe if someone here has grown it can tell me if it is a DEEP ROOTED Plant & or is hard to manage as some other grasses are . Just wanted to know if it is best Grown in a container .

Cloudy day just starting to spit a few S_ _ W Flakes so going to be a day of baking I have my sugar cookings in the frig can take them out soon roll & Bake .

so you all have a great day

Pittsburgh, PA

I grew black mondo grass in the warmest part of my garden, a sunny southern area, it grew very slow and never spread. I gave it to my friend in the same zone, five minutes away, she planted it in an area around a pond in her garden, which is surrounded by a wall which has an area between the water and the wall, to plant in. This plant has spread about 2-3 feet in this warm area, it flowers and looks lush. I cannot believe it is the same plant.

Pittsburgh, PA

Black Mondo grass is not deep rooted and easy to move and manage. It is beautiful if you have the perfect place to plant it...

Black Mondo in my garden has spread moderately over the years. Too much of either one; sun or shade, tends to make it more dark green than black in my garden and it seems blackest with morning sun and afternoon shade here. I have it near a pond too, meandering through some rocks. It's shallow rooted and easily moved around.
It has not grown like gangbusters, but increases a moderate amount each year for me.

so it like a moist but shaded area?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Amanda

I sent you an dm requesting the name and address for the next participate. Please let me know, as I can't sent the box out until I have it.

Thanks

Jan

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

See dmail.

Thanks.

A.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Seed box has flown my coop.

Thank you as I really enjoyed viewing all the wonderful varieties, just wish I still had my 5 acres as I really would have loved sewing a few from each...LOL

I won't be in on round two, due to limited growing space for me.

Jan

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jan. Any trouble getting things back into the box? I think you said there'd been a tear in the box. Interesting that it's getting banged up so much this time. I don't remember that happening at all in previous Robins.

Maybe you could share your thoughts on the postage situation. Also please send me the DC number from your package. :)

A.

Gm all moving along

This message was edited Nov 27, 2013 7:04 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Jan.

I have not had the confirmation number from you and you have not responded to dmails.

Violations of Rulz 1, 6, 10, 11 and 12.

I'm interested in knowing the weight of the package. Maybe I should have started with a large flat rate, there were already so many seeds. Sounds like we've already had 3 boxes and only 4 participants, that's not how it's necessarily supposed to work.

LazLo - could you let us know the weight of the box on your end? When I shipped it it was at 2.3 lbs I think.

Thanks.

A.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

posting deleted

This message was edited Nov 27, 2013 4:31 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sure 'nuff.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

...waiting...
!!!excited!!!

'''omgomgomg'''

///falling down///

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The box weighed 5.5 when I mailed it, Amanda.
No second round for me, thanks.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL just put my rice on for Mom's Tradictional Glorified rice for our TG Dinner . its about done so ya all have a tasty day, oh if your in the NEIGHBORHOOD Stop On in There will be Plenty of Leftovers :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

What is in the glorified rice, I wonder? :)

I took yesterday off from the internet and spent that time on the phone, calling family. It was nice to catch up. Hope everyone survived, AND I sure hop none of us were standing in queues overnight to get ahead on their shopping. Eek!

No lines or queues for me, just patiently waiting for Mom's Traditional Glorified Rice Recipe.

Its just this easy but my mom Jumped it up a bit with 1/2 chopped Walnuts ,1/;2 Coconut flakes, & At times would add about 2 TBL Of Red or Green Jello just to give a festive color to it .
I added Mandrin Oranges,Walnuts & Coconut to mine :) MMMMM

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/moms-glorified-rice-50713.aspx
this is the pic from the kraft site for mine is gone no left over .

Been deep cleaning & Moving furniture today & much more to day yet but had to have my Lunch since i missed my BKF :( so you all have a great day Back later today .

Thumbnail by deejay9
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Susie ~ So glad that you have your health back. (Not running the seed swap probably helped! LOL!!) ^_^

It's just like Ambrosia...only with rice! Mmm, thanks for the recipe. Gonna try your jumped up version, thanks Susie!

still Not improoved allot but this has to be done & No one else to do it so i do what I can when i can Now I Just have the Kitchen floor to get Mopped but going to wait till Bed time then the kidders won't be tracking on it :) they will be on my bed come dark :) just a dog & Cat :)

well I'm done for the day as for the House but i need to go put super in the oven ya all have a nice eve. OH & Hope you all will try the Glorified Rice one day it will be a hit .

Concord, NH

fly robin fly

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This bird is No Robin !!

This is a Big, Stuffed GOOSE !!

The 707 of Seeds landed in OzTown, runway 78758, yesterday while I was being dragged from pillar to post through every shopping venue withing 20 miles of my shack. Nevertheless, I can promise this:

Departure time approx. 4 p.m., Monday, Dec. 2nd

Thank you, Everybody!

A T B T Y !         ~         £az£o  

Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo Thumbnail by LazLo

LazLo, it looks like that frog has lept the building.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

What's ABTTY?
Susie...is someone adding seed of Indian Paintbrush seed? And if so who...is it the red or orange? Just to let you know, not sure how well this plant will grow outside it's native habitat as it's sybiotic with the soil (certain requirements, altitude and not sure what else). I have just a few plants of the orange, haven't looked for seed yet. The neighbor above me has a wonderful grove all over their yard (orange). Another down the road (2 miles away-ish has acres of them). Beautiful in the spring...and I look longingly at them each e.June...lol.

I did stick some seed for this native Liatris in the box this year for those interested... grows all over my undeveloped acerage.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Kathy I Didn't see any in the seeds i sent to amanda so maybe someone along the way might have some to share.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Was wondering cuz I'm going to guess they are probably very rare and hard to find.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Mipii - it's my gecko lizard trio (not frogs) . . . the top gecko's been headless (thanks to some kidnik) for years . . . I keep it where folks can reach it 'cause so many of them try to put the head back on.

Many hours of enjoyment watching people put the head back on for ya, what a hoot! I see the tails now, I thought they were having a game of leap frog, I also see the shovel now too. Amazing the detail one (me) can pick out when one (me) actually looks, I should try that more often.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings - been distracted by my schoolwork all day. :/

Spoke with Sue (CheerMom) this morning and so the package will be heading to AZ! Yahoo.

LazLo - I am sending her shipping addy to you by dmail. Let me know if you have any questions. Also - when you ship let me know along with the confirmation number what kind of box it's in and how much it weighs.

Thanks for playing. :)

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.