CLOSED: November Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good work there, LK.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes elfie I really like the draw pulls too. You my be a beach lover huh??? I like the muted color. Thats the way I eat my butternut squash. Just cut in half. Deseed and put butter in the part were the seeds were and bake until really soft. I just love it so muc. Just a little bit of salr and pepper and eat away. So yummy.

Ok... I am going to try to upload some more pictures. Ignore thress as we eat and cook where I am building. Also Ralph cooked breckfast this morning and he NEVER cleans up his mess. Sigh

These are progress pictures. It is a mess and I hope you all can see the really bright limey green, white, and stainless steel.
Ok.. A few loaded. Yoi can see my wall of drawers. Believe it or not this cost me only $7.00!!!!
The three center rows of drawers came from Fort Benning Georgia. The were originally desks in the soldiers barracks.
The two end pieces came from a former employee of Dominos. Her dad was selling them at a yard sale. The fronts got wet and warped. So he just gave them to me. I replaced the fronts with lft over scrap from another project. The $7.00 was a can of oops paint from home depot. This whole section is over 10 feet long and will hold most of our canned and dry foods. It is a creative way to have a pantry. On the walls above them there will be pegboard. This will hold all our hanging pots, pans, specialty utinsils.

Next you have my homemade silverware holders. I used all scrap wood, painted to match the drawers and will hang off the pegboards.

Next is my $.01 over cabinet, $60.00wall oven, $15.00 storage cabinet over my$100.00 side by side refrigerator. In the center is the $60.00 stainless steel prep table from the auction house.

Last is the temp sink area. This will be replaced with a stainless steel sink. We need to wait til next year for that. The window will be taken out and replaced with a six foot long garden window / greenhouse. This is Crystals / goldhilals fault, as I love, love, love the one in her house.

Anyway here it is. Hope you can get an idea of were I am headed with this.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Kris I love what your doing. Keep up the great work.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

This is looking GOOD GOOD GOOD! nice work Kris!!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Thanks LK, but that is where I posted my chirita question, but no takers. Have any of you grown or even heard of chiritas?

Crystal.. Did you notice I found a use for some of my v8 juice bottles?? I am storing my paint in them. It makes it easier to pour just a small amount at a time to pre-paint projects as I put them together.

For some reason the past few days my stomache has been acting up. I think I am missing all the seafood we had on vacation. That or my pills are not working again...sigh..

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from taters55 :
Kris I love what your doing. Keep up the great work.

me too, u r a wizard! feel better soon..
i have never heard of a charita..

Never heard of them Crystal.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

That's one behind the hanging bottle This second pic is C. tamaria, which unfortunately I no longer have.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

awww thats a pretty bloom.. what is the plant bloom in the zinnia vase? that is cool looking too.. is that bloom on first pic belonging to the bigger plant to the right>? The second pic foilage looks like the plant to the left in your first pic..That is a really nice group shot of your pretties there, actually. ;D

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

In the bottle with the orange zinnia is a Cuphea, fire cracker plant. It's a perennial and grows to about 3 feet tall for me. It blooms in late summer and on til frost. There are several different Cupheas, and I have tried a couple, but this is the only one I have been successful with. Want to get the one called bat flower. Tried it once, but it didn't make it.
The plant to the right of zinnia is the Chirita and has blooms reminiscent of a sinningia.This one is about 2 years old and is just too tall. I want to cut it down but am afraid to.
The plant to the left of zinnia is called Alsobia, another AV relative. This one is not in good shape, but when they are well grown is beautiful. Has white fringed bloom.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Elfie you are doing a great job. Looks like you really have a work in progress. Im sure you can not wait to have it finished. Do you have any other useable rooms in the home yet?? Are you living there while you work? Really looking great and the greens are my fav colors. Almost all the rooms in my house are some shades of green. Except for the living room which I painted yellow just cause I wanted something different and I love it so much.....

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, she does a good job. It's amazing what she's taken on. It's an ambitious project but will be so worth it in the end.

Thanks guys,, you keep me motavated. Unfortuneately not one single room is done. But I have only been working on this for just over a year. Yes we live in the place. The most finished room would be the bathroom. I suffer from scattered brain syndrome. I start one project and then remember I wanted to do another, work on that and then back to thhe first one, or start another one altogether. What I am trying to do from here on out is only work on the kitchen until it is complently done before I move back to the bathroom.

I am working today on finishing the pot wall. Need to do some touch up painting too. Since it is raining, I cannot get outside to work on cutting any lumber. Which might be a good thing...lol..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well with doing everything your self I think I woud be having scattered brain syndrome also. Plus working??? Bless you my lady.

I do not have a real job.... yet.. I am supposed to start working the day after thanks giving for one month at the dollar tree to help them out though Christmas. Then it is back to working on my house.

I ordered the drawer pulls today. Very excited to get them in. we spent much less on gas and food than I had estimated for the last two weeks due to great sales. So I had the money to order them.

My temp job will help with more projects!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Kris, you need more projects. lol. But I know what you are saying. The extra $ will come in handy. And the holidays are arriving as well.

Edited to correct typo.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2013 4:33 PM

Goober and Gryphon want cash this year. Makes my life so much easier.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it sure does. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I have been buying gift card and a small gift for my family. They love it. And much easied for me too.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Most of my nieces and nephews are at that stage where money and gift cards talk. Makes it a lot cheaper on shipping things around, that's for sure!

Of course, I like finding that perfect gift every year. Pretty sure I got DH two of them already this year. :)

I am sooooo sore today. I got up yesterday at7am. I did not sit down one time untill 5:30pm. Ohhhh I be hurting here......

See if my pictures will load. Just small projects,, however it took so long as it was very chilly and I had no hard plans, just am idea. So here we go,, nope nothing loading today.. Sorry...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Phooey!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey kids - please remind me if I've promised anything in trade. I am trying to get anything live out before our temps drop to a forbidden level.

Thanks. :)

xox

You promiced me you come and explore my woods????

Roflmwo....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hardy har har - what was the trade for? I forget. :P

You get to spend time with Goober!!!!!

I have decided to spend the rest of this day sipping hot chocolate, eating cookies, watching movies and sleeping. Yup I am going to eat 4 cookies. A big splurge here....

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Funny all my nieces and nephews what presents. They are in their early to mid 20's and they ALL want presents. They love opening presents...every Thanksgiving I have them make a Christmas list of ANYTHING they would want no matter how outrageous and of course down to earth things. It is the ritual for all of us to be gathered after we eat around the ads in the paper for black Friday and making lists. I have been saving the lists for them for years crammed into a book. Some day I will put them with the Christmas pictures. Every great once in a while I will luck out and actually be able to get something on the outrageous list because of good deals. One year my nephew wanted this football jersey and it was way out of my price range and then RIGHT before Christmas I found one on ebay and I guess he was trying to unload them because after Christmas he could be stuck with them and they guy may have fallen out of favor, I was so darn excited!....rofl. I had to pay extra to get it shipped but it was worth it. This year my niece wants a kick boxing bag....really..rofl. But I lucked out and found a used one, she will be surprised. No we have not made our lists yet but that is all she has been talking about.

I love Christmas can you tell. rof. I do buy all year and especially after Christmas, I am sure when I retire I will have to get a part-time job to feed my addition...rofl. I buy or make things for friends, family, and tiny things for the folks I work with. Yeah besides plants that is my only other vice. I think. ;)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know happ I'm with you I love christmas also. Have always bought for the nieces and nephews. Now we have to many so we draw names its still fun. Even just to see each other. I have a great niece this year too. So much fun. And one of my nieces are getting married in February..... very exciting.

I only have the 3 grandkids. No nieces, no nephews. So I can spoil the few I have. Ialso buy them presents.. But this year it will just be the cash. Next year, now that eill be a very big year for us as all our bills will be either caught up or paid off. Looking forward to that one...

Well, Joyce, we have the same traditons the looking at ads in the paper after our thanksgiving meal, and the grown kids who have no kids suddenly revert back to being 8 or 9 again/ so funny.

My daughter Karin sent us an email and asked for no presents, she is 43 and pregnant and her 19 yr old got kicked out of the house cuz he wont do anything but sit on his bed with the Laptop his Great grandma got him while she works all day. He has been out almost ayear, living with friends, still on someones bed, on his laptop.

My youngest used to go crazy over Halloween, this year ( she is 25) she hurridly put up a couple decorations and never did carve the pumpkins I bought her . Hoping she does not blanket the house this year with Christmas as in the past.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sometimes things just backfire. Holiday shopping can be a real chore or a real joy, I suppose. I don't do much holiday decorating these days. Just don't have the time or the inclination. Busy, busy, but not with seed swaps, etc. With real life. ;-) lol.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This keeps you out of trouble Carole. :)

Debra, sorry to hear your daughter has a problem child, especially with her being pregnant. Being a young teenager is tough!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That could be, A. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes family problems are a ways a bummer. Believe me we have the same thing in our family... a brother who will not go and see our parents. He thinks only of himself. I could go on but...... anyway I am looking forward to the holidays. Just took the dog out for a short walk. Snowing out side and very windy.. cold.

No snow here. But it is predicted to freeze tonight. Most of our water pipes are exposed at this point. So we are going to shut off the water and drain our pipes before bed. Much than better than frozen broken pipes...lol.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Joyce, hope you have the fire going! The cold is on the way here...supposed to be freezing tomorrow night. Almost 80 today!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.