CLOSED: November Chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Fruity, sounds like your very busy! Hope hubby gets a good follow up report from his surgery.

Kris, looks like your busy as always. Your place will be so nice when you get it all done!

Debra, you basement gardens are so nice. I wish I had the space to bring plants in.

I dont know how well done it will be.. But I love it so that is all that counts.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree, if you are happy with what you have, then you have enough , right? I know I am happy even if my old basement is full of cracks and leaky spots. funny how we adapt. Thanks, LK, I am glad I have all this empty space, or we might have to build an outside greenhouse, and that would mean trips thru the snow for me. UGH I got the mylar paper up on one wall in charlies room, only 7 more walls to "mylar" up.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I grew these winter squash (my entire harvest). I planted several kinds of seed, but these are the only ones that made anything. I think I had some from AHS seed exchange, but at this point do not know what is what. Can anyone tell me what kind they are? I thought they were butternut, but now have changed my mind.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

Don't know, I had some Cobash squash, it was just a few fruits, all the rest did nothing..

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra your plants are so pretty.. they are going in a basement garden? Nice. Effie are you redoing your whole kitchen or just the ceiling. We did that a few years ago. Took down a old drop ceiling. So glad that was gone. We moved things around for a better "flow". We love it. Redid the cupboard doors. Fun and very rewarding. Lots of work. Yes iagree we have no extra room to bring in plants. Our basement is not nice. What is called a michigan basement....

I am turning a huge storage barn into a house. I do most of the work myself as my DH works too much and really have noone else to do it and cannot afford a carpenter, plummer, or electrition. I am learning as I go. It is a process.. Lol...

No pictures tonight after all. Mike took me to a movie and I will start back to work tomorrow..sigh.

Glad you got a movie in Kris. We are watching football and a movie on Sci Fi at the same time.. Go Chiefs! We are 9 and 0 now, after we beat the Bills. Bro in law were at the Bills Game, I bet they froze their behinds off too..

Gardenlady, any basement would work if there is a little warmth and some electricity. I didn't start gardening down there until I joined DavesGarden and everyone started sending me stuff.. Most of the things I have are from nice DG'rs..
I have five upright EE's portera? to give away.. LK you are getting one in your box.. heads up..

^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lucky Linda. Beautiful plant.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow effie that is so cool. I love to learn new stuff. Wish I lived closer, it would be fun to give you a hand. We did all our work in our kitchen too. All for the same reasons as you. Good luck on everything..... :》 hey debra if you are serious about the EE. I would love one. They are awsome in the shady gardens. Is that where you had yours?? I could find a cool place for one. I know I will have to "lift" it in the fall. But would take care of it. I can send you postage if you like. Thanks for the consideration. Or we could maybe do a swap. You were just going to send the bulb right??? Ronna

Hi ronna, these are rooted plants, and small enough to mail out.. dmail me your addy is you want one?

Debra,, I would love one to please.
I wish I had a basement to play in. However, I hope to have a sunroom for all my pretties next year.

Does anyone know where I go to change the time on DG? it tells me it is an hour ahead of what it really is!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thankd Debra, I sent you my address. Looking forward to it. And effie I am sure you will have a beautiful sunroom next year you seem really enthused. Keep going lady. I am not sure where to change the time on this site prolly in some secret area.... ! Lol.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, did you find it? Go to Preference and it's at the bottom of that page.

Thanks. I got it.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Even though some of the top leaves in my Angel Trumpets got bit by frost a week or so ago, they are still looking beautiful. I love the fragrance of the yellow ones, but the pink is farther away and I did not know til last night that it has a different, lighter fragrance.

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Those are beautiful. Glad they survived the frost.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Crystal those are amazing! Brugs when in flush have to be the best plant, that is before you even factor in the smell.....awesome!

congratulations, Crystal, those are beautiful trees.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very lovely, Crystal. Especially like that yellow one. So you know the name of it?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Do not know the name. They came to me unnamed. I have even forgotten where I got them now. But it was before Dave's Garden for me. I began looking for some brugs that would bloom at one point because altho I had one (white), it seldom bloomed, and when it did it was very late. In fact when I saw the buds forming, I knew frost was eminent. I moved it several times, but it was just a late bloomer no matter where I put it. A man in S. Alabama had given me the white, so I assumed it was just the cultivar. Someone at the Florala Round-up gave me a variegated leaf brug, that I think was supposed to be white, But it didn't bloom this year . So as far as I know I still do not have a white. Maybe I should root a piece of the old one and pot it and see what happens next year. I might have brugs for Xmas!!!??

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, very beautiful. Would be awesome to be able to plant those in my yard. Looks like tater nas them in her yard?? Like that photo. Nothing better than a fragrant flower.

At pne point I had 60 brugs. But this brutal Texas heat killed most of them. Now I only have 6 and I have only had two bloom. They will not bloom above 80-85 degrees.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've only had pink but dahtzu is sending me a box with some other colors. They are spectacular when they bloom. Debra might have sent me this pink one. I think she sent it when she had my name in a swap year before last. Maybe. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty. I have seen them in peps yards in pots. But they have to bring them in for sure in the winter for protection.

You know Carey I did send a bunch of brugs to texas ;D

that looks like isabella I m tellin ya.. Anyway, it is rainey sorta, and not too cold yet.
Thank goodness as I hate the cold.

Linda Kay, I can't even imagine how beautiful all those brugs must of been and how terrible horrible it would be to watch them die!!

Leave it to me, I got home and the weather was cloudy but not cold, not raining, I still have a couple of things I need to bring in cause it is going to get really cold, and now it is really raining. Leave it to me.

OMG... I just found kitchen drawer pulls to die for!!!!!

I have got to get these.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

oh those are to die for.. good eye!

Painted my kitchen cabinets bright green today! ! It has been a good day. Nowif I can just finish the ceiling by Friday, I will feel like I have accomplished a lot this week.

Just ordered the drawer pulls. Yea!!!

Elfie, those are too cool. I would of never dreamt you could of found anything any more perfect for you. Wow. You are one busy Elfie!!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kris - I LOVE the drawer pulls. :D

Crystal - your brugs are beautiful and I have to say it's possible those could be butternuts. The walthams sometimes are a little squarish. It's been a while since I grew them, but I buy them every week for the Iguana to eat!!!

Good to have lots of idle chatter. Some of my other threads are a bit more complicated (if you know what I mean).

xox
A.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Maybe are butternuts. I will know when I cut open I guess. Some pics I saw online they are sort of peanut shaped like mine. Anybody have any winter squash recipes that are good? All I hear is cut open and bake w/ butter and brown sugar.

so much needs doing, makes me tired just thinking of it.
Nite, all.

Love those drawer pulls Kris! Nice find!

Sorry we don't eat squash here, so I have no recipes.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I posted a question about Chiritas on the AV forum, but nobody replied. Is there a thread or something like that where people just talk about AV ? I have posted questions to the insect forum and in a day or so I get a couple replies. Thought maybe I had not found the right place to post. Any ideas?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Also, What is a "sticky"? and what's it for?etc?

A sticky is a post that stays on top so everyone can see it. Some use it a lot on facebook.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/av/all/

Here is a forum for African violets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.