CLOSED: November Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fruity says she may be back again one of these days soon. I hope so. Fall is in its full colorful glory in many places and the holidays are drawing near. Please join us here in the new room.

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room.

Fruity hurry back! We miss you.

I am home!!! Almost finished putting up all the stuff we used. Did some work on the kitchen. Hope to start the ceiling work tomorrow or on Sunday. Serriously feeling lazy right now and all the rainy weather is a determent too, as it gives me headaches.

Welcome home Kris. Hope you had a good vacation!

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Our weather has felt more like the Pacific northwest than Texas! Makes my roses happy. They haven't looked so good since I picked them out at the nurseries. (although I've unfortunately lost several over the past couple of summers. Boo)

Welcome back Elfie! Hope it was a refreshing vacation. :)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hope everyone had a great night. Glad to see you back, Elfie, looked like it was a fun time, and Carey, so glad you all got some rain!
Thanks for the new room, it is very cozy here Cville.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome. I do enjoy the chat and the photos on these threads. :)

Welcome home, Elfie. Sounds like you had a blast!

Carey, I saw more pictures of the flooding on the news last night. Some really serious stuff. So glad you're okay. First drought and then flooding. Hopefully it's doing the aquifers some good at least.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning. Thanks for the new thread Carole. :)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Hey, everyone! i'm still here.
The rain is supposed to be with us today. I heard it in the night last night.
First day of November and I am going to an open house at the Extension service. A sort of Xmas bazaar from the sound of it. Handmade items: crafts, jellies,etc. Never been but looking forward to seeing what is there.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Goldhillal sounds like fun I like to go to craft show too. It is fastly approaching the holiday season. Plan on enjoying it very much this year. Have lots to be thankfful for so much sickness in our family this year. Cariana must be nice to still have roses open. I had to cut all my plants down already. Wewill have some snow this month I am sure. Never look forward to it. But it goes with the territory. When you live in michigan. Lol. I am Ronna I live in michigan. Just musseling in on your thread. Shouldve introduced myself in the beginning. Sorry. I am a shade gardener. Have lived in my house for 20 years. And have been gardening for most of them. Small space and need more plants. Dont we all?? Well have a great first day on November. Ronna

Welcome Ronna. Glad you found us. I was born and raised in Grand Haven Michigan. I moved to Texas with my ex military husband. He left. I stayed.

Hi Ronna, I am Debra, married to Joe. We live South of Wichita in Kansas. What is a shade gardener? All shade in your yard?

Hi Ronda, welcome to our little chat thread....

I am glad for the rain as it helps the plants.. However it really sucks for me as I get really bad headaches when it rains. Plus I hate to drive in it so it might mess up my plans for tomorrow... Whaaaaa..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Ronna. Please do stay and chat with us all.

It is getting to be that "s---" time in many places. I'm not a fan of the white stuff either. Today for the first time I can see a "hole" in the woods behind us. lol. That means enough leaves came down during the rains yesterday that I can see farther back into the woods now. We got 3 inches. A lot of wind - nothing too strong, mostly just light, then hard rain. But very quickly all the leaves will be down and I'll be able to see way back behind us.

Ya'll have a good first day of November.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Ronna welcome, we just chat about any old thing. We will see each other on the Midwest forum also.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Rain (little as it has been so far) is supposed to stop by tomorrow. It may bring down some leaves that are just beginning to color up nicely here. This is a crepe myrtle in my front yard.

Thumbnail by goldhillal
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Your Crepe Myrtle is beautiful, Crystal. I love them. Here's mine.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

There's a happy golden light coming in the windows looking out to the yard. The mulberry and the passion flowers vines are all going yellow, and its almost like sunshine despite the rain and clouds. :)

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The leaves are starting to change here too. A little bit of yellowing before they all turn brown and fall off. Our fall 'color' lasts about three days. :)

Carole, the aquifers got a little bit of a reprieve for the local area. It missed the main water supply lakes which is a bummer, but some of the runoff did reach where it needed to. The rainfall totals closest to our area are between 8.8" and 9.5" in a 24 hour period. Crazy. The rainfall totals over most of the lakes region was a sprinkle to about an inch.

Debra, I'm glad we got rain too, although I wish we'd get more in the summer to cool things down a bit! They're already predicting that the wildflowers next spring will be unbelievable. :)

Welcome Ronna! Always nice to have new folks pop in! :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Debra yes it means mostly shade in my yard. It can be a bit challenging. I like the fill sun plants but not here in my yard. Cvillee your crape myrtle is beautiful. Almost all our leaves are off the trees now. The back yard is full now time to use the leaf blower and bags! Amanda sound nice with the yellow leavesflowing to the ground even tho it is a gloomy day. Thanks for all the hellos it makes me feel very welcome. Ronna.

My yellow tree

Thumbnail by happgarden

My red tree...sorry hit enter too soon...LOL

Thumbnail by happgarden
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Joyce they're both lovely. The first image looks like a postcard. :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hope you entered that first one in the photo contest, Joyce?

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Ronna! We're glad to have you join us. I'm Sooz, Fruity, Frootz and whatever else these good folks choose to call me, all good.

Thanks for starting November for us, Carole. I really do appreciate your help the past few months.

Love the pics of Fall colors. Our Maple trees a few days ago looked like they were on fire. Then last night's windstorm hit, leaving leaves everywhere, including a lot from our neighbor's nasty Chinese Chestnut tree down the hill. Just noticed the Photo Contest is now open for votes and am heading that way after this post.

What a week. This is the first day I've been home for any appreciable time during the day since last Friday.

Saturday's planned yard sales were pretty good. I found a pricey steam iron NIB for $3, and just happened to be looking to replace mine, and the one my mail lady let me borrow. Whodathunkit? Usually never find anything when you're looking for it, so chalk that up to pure luck. Another place had a dwarf Mother-In-Law's Tongue unlike any in my small collection of Sansevierias, so that was another $3. Those two purchases were my big whoopees...lol

Hubs found new sports radio headphones for a steal, and they worked like a charm at the Martinsville Race on Sunday. It was a picture perfect day and it never hurts when the driver you cheer for wins. Our seats were close to the those we occupied at the Spring race, about 35 rows up very near the Start/Finish Line with a bird's eye view of the whole track. Course it's only a 1/4 mile. Saw lots of campers and admired the rows and rows of expensive buses as we hiked in and noticed more on the hill across from the track. There was no fly-by in the Spring due to gov't budget cuts, so this time the private Warbirds performed the customary fly-over. They were awesome and followed the NC State Marching Band after they performed our National Anthem. Very impressive band and it was nice to just *hear* music instead of listening to someone singing and struggling to reach the high notes.
Monday was errand and grocery shopping day.
Tuesday hubs had his regular 8-week dr appt.
Wednesday was Mickey's scheduled grooming appt. We stopped by his vet afterward for updated shots. That little fellow never flinched and was stuck three times, one was to draw blood for the heartworm test...negative results by the way. I was so proud of him. Got Comfortis for new flea meds. Thanks for the tip, Manda. Those bloodsuckers are awful this year and he has skin allergies anyway.
Thursday was another follow-up appt for hubs with the ENT dr who performed his ear surgery early last month.

Home today and did the regular pick-up, laundry and a hit and miss with the vacuum cleaner. I'm going to be a slug in the morning while hubs deer hunts. Somewhere in the whirlwind, my SIL emailed to say she'll be here for a week around Thanksgiving. I have no idea how to entertain her during the days she'll be at our house and am sure she's planning to spend time with her BFF from High School and also with her Mom. Well, I guess it'll be five days, since two will be travel days flying into Raleigh from DFW and then back again. She really does enjoy the down time when she's home, compared to life in a big city. It's been a long tradition that we try to work a puzzle, or two, and I have the Agatha Christie Mystery one....from you Elfie.....and another if we are able to solve the mystery in a couple of afternoons.

Pardon the long post since this is the first chance I've had to check in for a week.

Every one of you enjoy your week-end!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Whoooooo!

Hi Sooz. I knew you were busy, but that there makes my head spin. Listening to the race on the radio is hard to take for the first 300 laps. Haha. I've never been but love the sport.

Thanks for checking in. We miss hearing from you. ;)

So good to see you post Fruity.

This headache will just not go away. I have been laying down for hours and it just is getting worse. I am thinking it is a sinus infection?

Anyway back to bed. Maybe I will get lucky and wake up in the morning and it will be gone..

Picture if it loads is of a pressie from my db Mike....

Thumbnail by
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is lovely, Elfie. Is it bronze?

Yes, it's good to see you back, Sooz. Fruity too. LOL. You're always missed. Sounds like a whirlwind of activity recently.

Hi Fruit we missed you. Glad you are back, now don't you go deserting us again.

Thank you all on the complements on the pictures, Fruity is my idol when it comes to picture taking, getting closer and I can start using my calendar she gave me in a swap. I didn't enter the picture it in the contest. I was trying to get a picture of my DGD's swing to send to her but that didn't work...rofl.

Boy I am a slug compared to you all. I have work I brought home this weekend so that is going to be my lovely weekend....;(

Have a great morning you all.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Elfie, what a great gift. Great remembrance of your beach trip. BTW, did you see any dolphins (or sharks)? I hope you are feeling better this AM.
This is a leaf covered stream near my house. Looks more like a path. can't even see the water

Thumbnail by goldhillal

good grief Crystal, that is an awsome sight. You luck..
Joyce I agree that is calender material on the photos.
I love the statue, from Mike. It is beautiful Kris, u are a blessed woman.
It is wonderful that you and your hubby are enjoying yourselves, Fruity. Today my Joe has already bbq'd, cleaned out the gutters, and is now cleaning the furnace. I am cutting down spent plants and cleaning out the flower beds. started out cold, but has warmed up a bit.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thats a lot of work Debra I cut my plants down aweek or so ago. Had to bag them and put out by the road. Happ I love the tree photosvery beautiful. Sad to know what is coming up next weatherwise ; (. Fruit.... looks like you have been having fun at the races. I am not a fan of racing but lots of peps love it. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying reading and getting to know you all, Ronna.

I am not sure if it is bronze or not. He got it at a consignment store near Birmingham before I left town. It is very heavy. I simply adore it!!!

I woke up this morning feeling a little better. Took a very long, very hot shower and it feels like my sinuses started draining. So far it is easing off even more. I did some work in the kitchen. Now tired and going to take a nap and do some more later today.

If the pictures load here is what I made....

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Nice, Elfie!!!

good job, Elfie, you are way talented. Now the arch off the south patio is naked again. Everything is almost ready for the cold to come.

Woke up. Painted the backs bright green and the casings bright semi gloss white. I really, really like this. Building another one on the other wall. These will hold some of my artwork and collections of sea stuff I have found. I cannot wait to get this room done.

it will look great! finished cleaning off the arch outside, went to a movie and now I am winding down, resisiting temptation to go down and peruse what I should be doing down in the basement gardens ..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm looking forward to seeing the paint job, Elfie.

Wow, Debra. Some of my favorites in bloom. My Stapelia is inside now but it is finished blooming. Your first photo immediately reminded me that I have a bulb burned out downstairs. Seems there's always something to do in the gardens, isn't there? lol :)

Crystal as great as leaves on top of water look it will kill fish. I don't know if the stream has fish or not. Water garden folks all know we have to keep the leaves out. One of master gardener had the entire pond of fish die. There had been a bad hail storm and it took all the leaves off the tree and covered her pond solid, a couple days later all the fish were floating on top dead. She was beside herself and called out the extension rep to figure out what happened and he told her.

Paint is almost dry. Will send new pictures then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.