SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS...

Hi Trish,thanks!! I am so glad you had a wonderful time while visiting her.I am sure its does feel strange without her their.Its very understandable too the reason why you wasn't on the thread.What counts is that you enjoyed yourself and had a great time with your mom.Plus that you are back with us now.I love all your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone - Here we are again at the start of another week and a week closer to Christmas, isn't the year flying past quickly? It seems the older we get the faster the time goes.

The sun here is "blood red" this morning, so not a good sign for all of the volunteers fighting the bushfires, and the forecast is that this is going to be a worse week for bushfires than last week, so heaven help us all.

Jean - Glad to hear the wind's stopped and you're able to make some progress with the roof at last. I can understand where "hubby" is coming from as I too have some "metal bits" in my back and having to watch every little thing you do is a real "pain in the ar.e (or is that back). Anyway, the main thing is that you're making some progress. Where I worked they had a safety slogan which said "Advance in small achievable steps, rushing causes accidents" and I found that to be pretty true.

This is the fourth year now that these Honey Eaters have nested in our garden and they are very trusting; in fact yesterday the mother bird let me move the pot while she was still sitting on the nest and I'm sure she realises I'm just doing it so her babies wont get wet while I'm watering.

We also have a pair of New Holland Honey Eaters that nest further down the yard over the frog pond and yesterday we were surprised to have Mr and Mrs Kookaburra bring in their two new kids to introduce them to us as well so we are getting a real bird collection.

Besides the sixty or so Rainbow Lorikeets we feed twice each day, we also have Magpies that visit every day along with a pair of Mudlarks and Willy Wagtails. This year we've had a further addition as this is the first year since we moved here that I've seen the little Blue Wrens in the yard. Unfortunately the Bower Birds are still being a bit of a problem stealing pegs off the clothes line as well as any plastic name tags I have forgotten to change over to aluminium ones. Initially they just stole the blue pegs off the clothes line but they now seem to have acquired a taste for anything plastic.

Jean was that plant in your pic 4 one that I sent you? If it is, I've somehow got the name mixed up as that isn't Vr. 'Barbara' as 'Barbara' is red; It looks more like Vr. 'Evita' and is a favourite of mine as it's a good grower and regular flowerer. Also the foliage will change colour depending on the amount of light it gets. When grown in very strong light the leaves are almost a brownish/purple and contrast beautifully with the yellow of the inflorescence. It's also a plant that will clump up readily.

Cody - I'm pleased to hear you're not in an area where there are bushfires, I know it's a bit of a pain when you get too much rain and everything's wet and muddy, but it's certainly better than bushfires. It's probably a bit quiet with Alex away at his Dad's, but never mind, the time will soon pass and he'll be home with you again soon.

Trish - I couldn't agree more with what Cody said; we have missed you posting on here and your lack of posts left a very big hole to fill. Anyway I'm glad you had some quality "one on one" time with your Mum and you both enjoyed yourselves. Now it's time to get back into the routine again and enjoy your brom's.

Regarding Till. Seeds, I tried growing them a few times in containers like I grow my Neo's and they did germinate but didn't grow. Friends of mine said they need to grow "on" something not "in" something, and they use the fly wire mesh on small frames. It's just the one young grower who has successfully used that method with the home made "flour glue" and I've seen the great results he's achieved on his Bottle Brush tree. Next time I'm at his house I'll try and remember to take my camera and get some pic's. He told me he got the idea from Andrew Steen's bromeliad book where in it Steens said that to grow moss on rocks, you just mix the moss with Yogurt in a blender and paint it on the rocks. He tried this method with the Till. seeds unsuccessfully, and then he tried the "flour glue" and found it worked. I've been meaning to try it on a Bottle Brush tree next door, but like a lot of things these days, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Neo. 'Cheery Day' is an unregistered plant but nevertheless is a nice little brom which is a good reliable grower; Its colour is a bit unstable though and sometimes is spotted and sometimes has blotches but always nice. I've had it for some years now and originally bought it from the sales table at our brom society, but I've had no luck in tracking down where it originally came from as the person who put it up for sale on the sales table said he originally got it from a Central Coast market, so very likely a "pet name" someone has given it.

That's it from me today, I'm sorry but there's no pic's as I've been slack and didn't take any yesterday and I imagine you're all getting sick of seeing file pic's anyway, so I'll try and take some new ones today.

All the best, Nev.

north coast nsw, Australia

hi everyone!
1. Gympie Fair 2. Gympie Lavendar Lace

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Hi Nev,I am so sorry that y'all are having bushfires when everyone should be enjoying their summer.I wish it would rain for days their.
When its dry here,the news tells us that we have burn bands,meaning people can't burn nothing because of it being so dry.We have to get so much rain here in order for them to lift the burn bands here.
Yeah i know he will be home Tuesday and i will be glad.Please everyone stay safe and take care!!
Cody

This message was edited Oct 20, 2013 6:53 PM

Merino, Australia

Nev, you are right. I just went and checked the tags. It is vr. Evita, but I do have a nice bloom coming on vr. Barbara.
Both from you.

Would you believe its raining and only 12C after a very warm day yesterday.
No wind though which is nice.

I moved all my vrieseas into the covered greenhouses and now I can see how they like it i there.
Most have been in there all along but some were down in the back shadehouse.
It will be warm for them in winter too.

I have all the bills hanging so they are looking good.
The neos and aechmeas are all in the new open shade area or on the bench in the fern house.
Lots of light and air, but I hope not too much sun in summer, even though they are all under the shadecloth.

As soon as the sun comes back , I will take more pics to compare the progress of the coloring.
I can see just looking daily that there is a lot of color coming into them. After all the moving around , I now have a long ( 10') empty bench to fill.
I have pups to take off and pot up which will go there.

I did mean to ask earlier, but as I dont have a lot of broms to swap, I do have plenty of epiphyllums if anyone is interested.
Hopefully as time goes by, all my newer broms will pup and I will have plenty to swap.

I have been watching a brom on eBay called neo. Medallion and was very interested to read about its odd growth habit. I would love to try one , so does anyone have one or know about it ?
I am also looking for more bills.

( oops, that does sound funny. No, I dont want bills I have to pay...lol )

Looking out my window here, I can see the light rain still falling , so there goes any hope of doing the second plastic cover on the greenhouse for a while. It will take a few days for everything to dry.

I hope those fires up north soon disappear, as it is heartbreaking for all concerned.
Seeing all the homes lost and treasures gone, is awful.

Nev, like you, I have lived in the mountains and beautiful as they are, the risk is not worth it.
Often some places only have one way out and when that is blocked, you are in trouble.

We have plenty of bush & grass to burn down here, but a lot of my local area is farmland which is still difficult , but not as bad as trying to get around in the mountains.

Better move and water the broms now they are in their new house.

Hello to everyone and stay safe.
pic is one of the three bill. Special Grace seedlings I bought a while ago.

Jean.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2013 10:03 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Cody hope your well, thanks I had a fantastic time with mum and she just rang me to say she received the big parcel in the mail I sent her that was full of bromeliads and orchids so she will be busy the rest of the week potting them up and making room for them in her shade house. Thanks pleased to be back up and threading with you all again and getting back to some normal routine around the house and garden as with us being away so much it made it hard to be able to do everything. Yeah Cody, Alex will be home soon!!!

Hi Nev yes the year is flying by ever so quickly with Christmas just around the corner.

Nev it’s horrifying to see on the news on all the bushfires everywhere, my heart goes out to everyone affected. The sky you described does not sound like a good sign at all and I pray that everyone will be ok and get out before it is too late.

Nev the birds taking up habitat at your place sound lovely and sound like they are part of your family. We have a Sun Bird nesting in our nursery and Kookaburras nesting in the Paper Bark Trees in the Wetlands that we really enjoy watching.

Nev thanks pleased to hear I was missed here on the forum; I really missed chatting with you all. I must admit though it was nice to get away from gadgets for a while, so when we went away for a few days here and there we left the laptops at home which was great and we truly got to relax and unwind.

Nev we have Paper Bark trees in the wetlands behind our property so maybe I can try the flour glue with the Tills and paint them on somewhere easy for me to reach and check? Nev could I also peel some of the Paper Bark and attach it somewhere on one of the trees in our garden and try growing them there until they can attach themselves to the tree, at least then I have easy access to them to spritz them every couple of days? I really only have the Avocado and Mango Tree to use and at the moment the Till’ that burst all the seeds was attached to the Mango Tree and it is very happy there. Thanks Nev that would be great if you could take a pic of the ones successfully growing at your friends place.

Nev thanks for the info on your Neo. ‘Cheery Day’, although not registered the name is very fitting don’t you think as it is a very cheerful and colourful looking brom.

Hi Bree, hope your well, nice pics of your Gympie Neo’s showing great colouring.

Hi Jean I just spoke to mum and she said it is raining and cold her way and she has the heater on and misses our weather but not the mozzies and sand flies (as we live by the sea).

Jean your vrieseas should love it in the green house especially if it is warmer for them there; so hopefully they do well there and you should get some great colour out of them.

Jean thanks for the offer to us all regarding swapping Epiphyllums for broms until you get broms to swap. I have never grown Epiphyllums but like the look of them so could you please keep me in mind for a cutting or two when you get some spares as their flowers are breathtaking and they come in so many different colours. Would they handle the weather here in NQ OK?

Jean unfortunately I don’t have Neo. Medallion but I adore the look of this brom and have had it on my want list for some time now but my list is long and it’s sort of listed in the middle of the list LOL. I like the look of its stacked layered leaves and the way it flowers and kind of reminds me of Neo. Reverence that is top of my Wish List so if anyone has this one could you please let me know as happy to buy or swap. As for Bills I do not have very many of these and it is something I want to collect more of as not only do they add great colour to the garden but they also add a bit dimension in the garden having some tall one’s in there amongst all the Neo’s etc.

Jean that’s a pretty picture of your Bill in flower, it must be very happy in that spot by the looks of things.

Hi to anyone else looking in or on the sick list.

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Random new pics of the back garden:

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi all well back to work today and rush rush rush.I had some blood tests today as well. I am still off colour and am tired all the time.It could just be a bonus for ageing as each of us are different, or there could be something else, like stress..
Nothing done with my broms today as I didn't feel up to it. Everything I do is an effort and a pain or an ache.
Sunday I went to the markets again and collected a few more and then had some culling done for me. I will add this bit in the next entry, yes 2 tonight.

Trish seeds grown on paperbark will eventually fall off as the bark falls off the tree, but the bark has been used for basket liners for many years. A rough bark tree or piece of timber would hold till seedlings longer and maybe even to maturity. They will grow on coconuts reasonably well just as another idea. Nice Garden shots. I got Neo Medallion a couple of weeks ago and it is still a young plant just starting to form it's centre.

Jean I like Bil Special Grace, it looks happy where it is growing. Watch fot those Bills, they tend to grow on you.

Bree, nice Gympie Neos.. They are both Neo Satsuma crossed with Neo Little Dazzler by Margaret Patterson in 1988.

Nev I think that my back is attached to my ar'e and sometimes pain travels to other parts of the body.

Cody, I have lived in the bush most of my life, farming and grazing country and dislike city life.I want to get out of this city style of living and hope to do so in the next few years. A small country town at busiest. I hope you are enjoying the weather change from hot to cooler.
Here is a hug a smile and a wave for you.
Have a good one.
Ian
Pic 1 Ae Nudicaulis Tigrina
Pic 2 Neo mini Tiger Cub
Pic 3 Neo Blue Blood
Pic 4 Neo Blueberry Tiger. a Shane Z hybrid.
Pic 5 Neo Lavender Blue

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

Here is a method of culling that I will NOT recommend. Pic 1 tells the story. It was a cheap hothouse and maybe I had too much in it. It has worked for a while but finally met its match. This is how Sunday finished for me. I now have seedlings here and name tags there , some will be easy to ID but others will not. Lesson learned.
Pic 2 Neo mini Cougar
Pic 3 Neo mini Marble throat
Pic 4 NOID, possibly Neo euthropetala, sold as an Orthophytum. I am in doubt Maybe I will have to wait til it flowers.
Have a good one
Ian

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all,

Nev, great idea, dropping your hanging plants down further when it’s really hot. Maybe I will try that next year, will need a few more hangers though or maybe some lengths of chain between the hook and the hanger would work.

Neo Red Macaw is a real standout in the garden and seems to take a fair bit of sun.

Jean, I don’t think I will ever have enough broms. When I look at eBay I always see so many more I would like to have.

Trish, guess you have settled back into work again. We used to get more done around here when we were both working full time as when you’re under pressure to get things done, you just have to keep going. These days we seem to put everything off till tomorrow, ‘cos we can. Also, I get very distracted and love to just fiddle about with my plants.

Bree, love your neo Gympie pics.

Ian, as you said to Jean … those bills tend to grow on you. Up till recently I wasn’t really keen on billbergias but lately I have seen some really stunning ones and have purchased a couple of really nice ones … pics soon.

Ian, what a shame about your hot house … hope you manage to salvage most of your seedlings. Your neo mini Cougar is lovely and also the brom in your pic 4. Hope you are starting to feel better, Ian, and can stop stressing.

Hi to Cody and Alex and anyone else looking in, enjoy your day.

Pic 1 – neo Mango Ice, pic 2 – neo Berry Heaven, pic 3 – neo Tossed Salad, pic 4 – neo NOID, which is a half grown pup already coming into flower … is this the work of the Ninja Turtles, Nev.

Bye, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi everyone.
Medallion..... well we've had medallion for so long (probably one of the first ones we got when we started) that we now just think "oh that's just medallion". In fact I let a pot go on the weekend with 2 full sized full coloured ones go for $8. it didn't last long. I'm sure we would have lots of them around the yard so if I come across one I'll yell out. Same with two tone. We've had that one so long we've probably got it dotted around the yard and I'll give a yell if I come across a couple.
I've got so many new pics to upload and I forget to bring the camera in or if I do I forget to put the SD card in the media reader to download them. then there's the naming of the file and then the naming on the pic before uploading.
Nev I agree with the upgrading of software. surely they can improve a software program without completely changing it. It's often like a whole new program instead of just an upgraded version of the same one. I know when I got a new computer I hated vista and I deleted it and uploaded the XP version. Not sure how hard it was to do but I did it once.
It was lovely having Shirley and Michael here on Friday. we had everything set up on Thursday with the plan of taking it easy on Friday to prepare for our big weekend of selling. But of course Johnny stresses out that the yard isn't clean enough for people to come in. so as soon as Shirley left he was out with the blower blowing everything in site onto the lawn. Then even though it had been mowed he did it again to pick up what he'd blown onto it. Easier on the back than raking. Then it was time for his nurse to arrive to administer his treatment. He's supposed to rest up after the treatment but of course he went back downstairs and worked on in the yard till after dark and I called him in for tea. We had such a big week getting ready for the sale that we both fell into bed early to wake up early ready for our first customer. and it didn't take long before they started arriving one after another. Boy we are getting so popular We keep one spare table for empty boxes so people can put their selections into them so no bending to pick up full trays of plants off the ground. as soon as we can we empty the next table too. Well mid to late morning when we had 2 empty tables under the house and had boxes laid out ready a lady starts grabbing plants and filling boxes. she had every box on one table full of plants and was starting on the next table. She picked up one of the special plants and Johnny said to her "that one will not be an $8 one it will be more" and she said "I don't care about prices. I just like what I see". Well she ended up with 8 trays of plants and didnt' bat an eyelid when they worked out the price. When she walked back up the road to bring her car down to the driveway we were not surprised to see it was a Mercedes. Nice to have so much money price doesn't matter hey. anyway it was a very good weekend but we were so exhausted each night we just bought tea and had a relaxing bath and fell into bed. I'm battling to keep the eyes open now.
Nev hope the fires and especially the smoke clears for you soon and anyone else in the bushfire areas. A friend in Childers had fire all around them this morning too. He has a collection of old tractors and machinery including a vintage fire engine at his place and he said they all worked for their keep today making fire breaks and then keeping the break wet so the fire didn't cross. He said he kept the fire out of his property though and the rural fire brigade eventually got the fire out. we are not even suffering from smoke here.
we've had little showers of rain but nothing to jump up and down about. In fact while I was watering seedlings this morning and Johnny was hand watering down the back the tank ran dry and we had to quickly flick it off. So I've ordered a truck load of water which should come tomorrow so the way our luck goes we should get rain tomorrow night everyone. fingers crossed we do. the ground needs a good soaking. Our lawn is still green and parts of our footpath are even green still. we tend to flick the switch and send the back and washing machine water into a wheelie bin which we then wheel out and tip on the lawn. This is enough to keep it green in dry periods.
Ian that shadehouse looked to be a really good sized one but looks like the shelves were just not up to the number of seedlings you had growing. hope you get them all sorted out. I'm glad to see someone else grows their seedlings on trays of water. I also use those same trays as well as meat trays, Tupperware trays, cut down foam boxes, in fact anything that will hold that little trickle of water just to keep them damp but not too wet. works for me. you had some nice seedlings in the pics you posted on fb. hope you work out which was which and don't end up with too many NOIDs.
That's it, I can't keep the eyes open now so I'll sign off but first some pics.
Pic 1 is a mini fireball x medallion
Pic 2 is a really good medallion we grew a few years back. unfortunately it never flowered or pupped just kept on and on getting taller and taller. not sure whatever happened to it. I know in the end it looked so tall and gaudy it was probably shoved down the back somewhere.
Pic 3 is two different clones of neo don hobbs we had. I add this because I looked at a pot with a couple of beautiful full grown colourful plants last week and when I checked the name it was a pot of don hobbs. the colour was amazing in a bit of morning sun. I should have got a pic and maybe I did but I haven't uploaded yet.

That will do for tonight. I'll try to get the pics uploaded early tomorrow evening and post a few then.
Night all. I'm yawning so much my eyes are crying all over the keyboard here and I can hardly hold my head up. YAWN
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch

Hi Trish,thanks i am.You are very welcome.Thats great that your mom has gotten her plants from you.I bet she was tickled when she saw them.Like you say at lease she will be kept busy potting the plants up.Yes,it great to have you back on here.Yes,he will be home tomorow and can't wait to see him.Love your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

Hi Ian,i am sorry to hear you are still not feeling well.I am glad you went to get it checked out.Its not good stressing over anything.I hope you get to feeling better soon.
I am sorry to hear about your hothouse too.I know that didn't make things anybetter when that happened.The last few days the weather has been cool here.Its more cooler at night then it is during the day.Once you move back to the country,it may be better for you.Thanks for the hug,smile and wave.I am also sending you a hug,smile and waving back to you as well.Take care Ian and get some rest when you can!!!!
Cody

Hi Shirley,thanks!!!Love your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

Christchurch, New Zealand

Ian - what a shame about the green house!
About feeling tired all the time - have you been tested for all the obvious things like thyroid function?
I know getting meds to sort out low thyroid worked wonders for me.
You need someone good at jigsaw puzzles to help put the green house to rights...

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.
Well, its raining here again. We had light showers yesterday, but mostly fine, just cold.
Overnight , we had 70 points with steady rain still falling.
I wish I could send it to the fire areas where it is needed badly.

I moved a few broms and brugs around yesterday , but nothing will be done outside today.

Its lovely to walk through the greenhouses now they are joined. I will eventually get the second cover up, but its all nice and dry and warm in there.
There is plenty of air movement, as the cover doesnt reach the ground. There is a gap all around of about 8". I will add a bit of plastic on the weather side in winter to keep the cold wind out.

Ian, what bad luck for your greenhouse to go like that.
I hope you can rescue most even if they are now without labels. Take it easy and dsont try to do it all at once.
Teresa, has a good hint there, in asking about thyroid tests.
I have lived with my thyroid disease for over 45 years.
I have said to a few friends over the years, they should be tested as its not usually something doctors will test for .
A friend many years ago had symtoms but being a male didnt think his thyroid would affect him. He was wrong and soon improved after medication .
Its always worth a try. Its not only a female thing .

Shirley, I think the bills are addictive because of the way they clump and look so nice when hung.
I use chain to hang my zygos at different heights and it works well.
Love your neo Tossed Salad.

Wendy, sounds like you had a great sale. I wish I lived up there.
Then again, if I did, hubby would probably have to confine me to the house or I would be buying so many broms.
I read about neo. Medallion on the BCR and was very interested in the way it was grown. So different to other broms and very pretty too.
I would love one if you find you still have any.

Johnny sounds a bit like my hubby, in always being on the move. He cannot sit still for long and will be in and out of his shed all day.
He doesnt garden, which is good for both of us as it gives us both a chance to indulge in our separate hobbies.
He does like to show off the garden if anyone comes though. ( he is happy to tell everyone, he does nothing, I do it all )

Hello Nev, Trish, Tash , Cody and anyone else I may have missed .
I had better be a bit domestic seeing as I cant do anything outside.
No brom pics today. Have to wait for the rain to stop.
Off topic, but just for Trish .... one of my epis from last year.

Take care
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi all,I have done sort of a clean up with my seedlings, salvaged a lot as they were rooted together and ready for separation, but some just went everywhere and mixed with others and I have no intention of growing these mixed bag on. If I am not certain of what they are, then as I already have enough NOIDS out they go. This will free up more time for me to work with the others and plant some more, hopefully better ones. This is just a hiccup in the system.
As for the tests I am having Thyroid isa possibility but then so could be Iron level incorrect. Ross River is another and also my kidneys are being checked. My chloresterol levels and a stool sample as well. My prostrate and liver checked out OK a couple of months ago.My Blood pressure is satisfactory but my stress levels are high due to customer demands. At the moment I have to put up with it as jobs are almost non existent here. This too will pass as the sugar crush is almost over and then it ought to settle down again. I can dream, can't I.

Jean the rain is needed just a bit North of you, it just might help with the bushfires.

Dalfyre, The best way for me to sort out this jigsaw is to discard what I don't know. The old rule from work, if in doubt, throw it out. This will be less stressful for me than trying to sort it all out. I will try to sort some of them but there are a lot 1.5 inches high that all look the same.
Cody I have some days better than others and things try me. I am still around for the next batch of things to test me. Here is a smile a hug and a wave. Have fun. Thanks for your hug.
Have a good one.
Ian
Pic 1 Ae albobracteata seedlings
Pic 2 Ae Prieto flower spike lookind like a snake would break it's back trying to follow it.
Pic 3 Neo Frankie
Pic 4 Neo Golden Fleece.( Jewellry Shop X Flirtation by Margaret Patterson)
Pic 5 Neo Peggys Peach

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Ian sorry to hear you are still feeling crap, I hope your doc finds out what’s up as there is nothing worse than not knowing and this could also be stressing you out. Everyone’s probably telling you to take it easy but it is not easy too when you’re stuck at work to be able to take the time off and then there is always so much to do after work and on the weekends, but if you can get some sleep ins somewhere here and there hopefully this will help, even if it’s only for a ½ hour here and there it can really make a difference.

Ian thanks heaps for the feedback on where best to grow Tills, I might try some of them on the Mango Tree the mother plant was growing on as well as I like your Coconut idea as well.

Ian thanks, pleased to hear you liked my garden shots, I think I took them a little bit too early in the day as it stripped the colour out of them in some of the photos so I will have to try and take some better ones on the weekend. You did well getting Neo. Medallion, it’s a really pretty brom; it is always one that I liked but never got around to getting, one day. Another one that I really like that grow’s similar is Neo. ‘Reverence’ but this one I have never been able to find and it’s one high on my Wish List. Ian would luv to see a pic of your Neo. ‘Medallion when it forms its centre.

Ian nice brom pics you posted, Pic 4 of Neo. Blueberry Tiger I really like because it’s just that little bit different and Pic 5 of Neo. Lavender Blue is a lovely one too that must look awesome when in full flower. Oh Ian sorry to see and hear what happened to all your beautiful seedlings in the shade house, I hope you managed to salvage as many as you could and I can imagine the swear works that passed your lips when you encountered such a mess.

Hi Shirley yes kind of settling back into work and all the other stuff you have to do when you get home like chores he he. We have been trying to go for our walks straight after dinner to get a bit of fresh air and that has been nice for us as it is at least enjoyable. Yes your right you get so much done when you are under pressure, that’s pretty much us in a nut shell the whole week until the weekend comes but sometimes our weekends get engulfed by work we have to bring home, but not that often thank goodness.

Shirley nice pics, I especially liked the look of Pic 1 Neo. ‘Mango Ice’ and Pic 2 of Neo. ‘Berry Heaven’. I have not seen these one’s before. I wonder what your Pic 4 Neo. NOID is, it’s pretty too?

Hi Wendy fantastic to hear your broms sale went well, that’s wonderful to hear and I am sure you would have got a real buzz out of selling so many to that lady that did not care about the price he he. Hopefully she comes back next time. Wendy that pic of your Neo. ‘Medallion’ is lovely and I like the deep colour of the rosette.

Hi Cody thanks yes mum is busily potting up broms at the moment he he as well as she told me she went to the market on the weekend and brought a couple of broms ‘vrieseas’ that she was thrilled to bits about, there is no help for her now, she is hooked on broms big-time. Cody – Alex is home yeah for you!

Hi Dalfyre, hope you’re well, nice to see you posting.

Hi Jean thanks for posting that lovely pic of your Epis from last year, what a gorgeous flower that is.

Where is Nev? Hi Nev missed seeing your post tonight.

Trish

Sorry no pics tonight.

Hi again. wow 2 days in a row. I've uploaded my pics but haven't named and files them yet. baby steps.

I meant to say last night that I have grown a lot of tillandsia seed just by spreading it on a tray of finely chopped bark called softfall. then I simply mist the seeds. till seeds like to be thoroughly wet then thoroughly dry. so this is perfect for them. I've also used a piece of timber with rough bark and just spread the seed on then keep it wet till it takes to the bark. Same thing for a rough tree trunk. simply keep wetting daily or on windy days twice for up to a week till seed is permanently attached. then simply water daily or every other day till little seedlings start growing. I've also used coir filled balls made of fishing net and sown the seeds then dunk it in the birdbath daily. I've seed till seed growing on those prickly things that fall off bunya nut pines. they were hung from the pointed end and the seed was simply wiped on and it settles in the cupped leaves then the whole thing is dunked in a bucket of water every couple days. the bucket was stored below these spiky things to make humidity. anyway it worked really well.
Ian sorry you have to cull so many of those seedlings but I fully understand about not keeping NOIDs. I've a bad habit of collecting seed and spreading it to dry intending to put name with them but forget. Most times next day I haven't a clue what it was I collected it from. With the vriseas I tend to pick a pod starting to open and put it on top of a shelf or pot while I collect more. next thing you know it's a few days later and there seed flying everywhere. Can't remember what it was or why I collected it.
I'm happy to save any medallions I come across but I have to tell you all the normal ones don't grow like that on I posted last night. that was a weird one that just kept growing and growing taller and taller in the pot never flowering or pupping. it was stunning but sterile. we have another one doing the same thing now. However there was 2 or the robinsky reds growing in those pots from hanging baskets. when they got taller one kept tipping over so Johnny repotted it into a taller fatter squat pot. And it promptl flowered and shot out 3 pups. the one still in the basket pot is still growing and looking amazing but taller on it' stem.
oops no upload button again so I'll have to post this text then upload the pics if the button appears.
Shirley not sure if I said this last night or not but I do like mango ice and berry heaven just like Tish.
Hi to Ian, Cody, Dalfyre, Jean, Nev if you reappear, Jen, Sue, Tash and anyone else who I've missed. I'll see if I can upload pics now.

Pic 1 is our new additions to the family. they live around the pond area.
Pic 2 is our first epi flower this year. Didn't even see this one budding but walking back from down the back we couldn't miss that pink hanging through a basket of dark red aechmeas.
Pic 3 is another epi that we've had for ages. a huge red flower but no name
pic 4 is one of our concentrica seedlings that everyone wanted to buy on the weekend. it is stunning at present and I'd like to name and register this one.
pic 5 is a group pic of the tables fully loaded last Thursday before they were set out on the driveway. probably most of these are now gone to new homes.

Well once again I am very ready for a bath and bed so I'll bid you all goodnight.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch
shellharbour, Australia

Hi Everyone - Wow! Look at all of the reading to do today, you all have been very busy, "goodonya". I started this post on the 22nd and what with a few family things and other problems, plus my day at the Light Rail Museum it's now the 23rd and I still don't look like finishing, so if I miss answering anyone I apologise but I'm running out of time again.

Breeindy - Good to see you back posting pic's again. These two are hybrids from Margaret and Bill Patterson's stable and from memory I think there were about forty in the "Gympie" grex, and unless you have Margaret and Bill's book, to look at them all you need to go to: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=4758#4758

Cody - We have a "Fire Scale" here which tells us the level of fire danger from Low/Moderate, High, Very High, Severe, Extreme and the highest of all, Catastropic. It's during these times of High and the higher ratings, we too have fire bans imposed. During a Total Fire Ban no fire may be lit in the open and all Fire permits are suspended. This includes incinerators and barbecues which burn solid fuel, e.g. wood or charcoal.

Jean – Good to hear you’re getting a bit of rain with the warmer weather. That’ll make the brom’s grow, I’ll bet you can see them smiling already.

In regards to your Vrieseas, you’ll find that Vr. Barbara is a nice easy to grow plant as well, and has a vivid red paddle with yellow flowers

Your mention of Neo. Medallion jogged my memory as that was one of the plants I was chasing some time ago without any luck. It is said to be a c.v. of Neo. Carolinae but has a very strange growth habit, just grows up and up and instead of flowers is said to produce a very colourful rosette instead. A friend who has it says it has never formed a pup since he bought it six years ago and the other strange thing he’s found is that it has never developed roots either, it just seems to grow up and up on the same stalk. This is probably why it’s so hard to find.

I like your Bill. 'Special Grace' seedling; there's some really nice seedlings getting around at present. I remember for years in Australia it seemed to be the same old Bill's which were a bit uninteresting until Bill. 'Hallelujah' came along. That seemed to start a trend with a great improvement in the colours and it seems to be still picking up momentum.

Trish – I’m pleased to hear your Mum’s “bits and pieces” arrived safely and now she’ll have something to well and truly occupy her time.

The towns around the areas where the worst of the fires are certainly aren’t good places to be just now. I saw on the news last night that one place where the usual air quality reading is 50, at present is 2000………not very good to be breathing that air.

Yes Trish, we always miss members when they're not here, especially the regular ones who contribute regularly like yourself.

Trish, like Ian says, the paperbark trees wouldn't be suitable as the bark would have peeled off before the seedlings even got a proper hold. Even established plants won't do much good on paper barks unless you cut a piece of the bark right out and mount them so they are actually touching the timber of the trunk. The tree I mentioned was a Bottle Brush tree and they have quite deep ripples in the bark so plants can have something good to grip onto. As a general rule, any tree that sheds it's bark isn't suitable to mount brom's on.

I can see the colour in your plants improving every time you post pic's; what's the name of the large plant in pic's 3,4 and 5?

Ian - You say you feel tired all the time; do you think it could be your body trying to tell you to slow down a bit, after all from what we read, you seem to be "on the go" all the time.Maybe it's time take it a bit easier and to sit back for a bit and smell the flowers and listen to the birds singing.

In your first lot of pic's I like the Neo. 'Lavender Blue' do you have any other info on it? I've tried to look it up but I cant find it listed anywhere.

Gee I can imagine how you felt when you were greeted with the scene in pic.1 of the second lot of pictures, I really feel for you mate. No one wants to cull plants in that manner.

I don't think your NOID is an orthophytum and judging by the way the leaves recurve, I doubt if it's Neo. eleutheropetala either but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Neo.'Pink Spider' (I think a hybrid from eleutheropetala) just starting to colour or even a hybrid from it; as you say, best wait till it flowers and then find out for sure.

As for the Neo. 'Blueberry Tiger', I didn't know Shane Zaghini did that cross by that name as well as Lisa Vinzant. She made one of those as well and hers is the one on the BCR along with some beautiful others in the Blueberry series especially my favourite 'Blueberry Smoothie' - See: http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3256#3256

Shirley - All you need to lower your plants are some bit's of straight wire with a hook on each end. Old wire coat hangers are great for this, they are strong and you can probably even find some in a dark wardrobe as I suspect they breed in there. Even sometimes available at the re-cycling area at the local tips.

Beautiful colours in your pic's again Shirley, I think the Neo. 'Tossed Salad' gets my vote though. As for your NOID flowering early, sometimes they do this if they are taken from the mother plant too early also.

Wendy - You have Medallion do you? After all the time I've spent down here looking for it I never thought to ask on this forum if anyone had it, I should have know you would have one stashed away somewhere in your collection. Anyway, after Jean and anyone else who has their name down for one, could you please add my name to the list also? I've been waiting all this time so a bit longer won't matter. By the way, I'll send you and Trish a parcel as soon as the weather stabilizes a bit down here. I've just remembered I promised to get you some Bill Rosea seedlings once and it was yesterday I see that one of them is flowering, I didn't think it had been so long. If you haven't already got it I could still send you one of those also.

What you say about new computer problems is correct, why they don't just update the relevent parts of the computer programmes instead of completely redesigning the whole thing is beyond me. Like cars I suppose, get a good model and then redesign it and more often than not bring out a new model and have to start all over again ironing out the bugs in it. I suppose it gets down to one thing, the almighty dollar; why sell an update package when they can sell you a whole new computer.

I'm pleased your sale went well; it seems like you and Johnny should have been nurserymen (and women) in your previous jobs as you certainly seem to have the skills required for managing such a venture.

That's really a brilliantly coloured Neo. fireball x Medallion in your pic's and the Medallion is nice too. The pic of the two Don Hobbs plants looks just like the example Nigel Thompson uses when he's demonstrating well fed and under fed plants.

I think my favourite of the lot is your Neo. Concentrica seedling, it's a "ripper" and certainly worth naming in my opinion .....Chalk up another success for Neo. Concentrica as a parent.

Theresa - That's good advice you've offered Ian, another possibility that could cause similar problems is the interaction between different medications if he is taking any. I'm sure someone with Ian's improvisation skills can come up with a suitable solution to his greenhouse problem.

Sorry if I've missed anyone but I've run out of time, but just let me say what a pleasure it is to see you all posting again, just like old times; we just need Jen, Tash, Sue and Colleen and we're almost back to what we once were.

I'm afraid I have to finish off with some old garden file pic's once again.

All the best, Nev.

P.S. Does anyone have a pup of Neo. 'Kay Jay' they want to swap?

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804

Hi to all!!!
Hi Ian,yes but it helps to rest as well.You sound like you never stop.I just hope you get everything checked and get it fix.I know you will be around.Theirs nothing that can hold you back.All that matters is that you get yourself healthy.Thanks for the hug,smile and wave.I am also sending you a hug,smile and waving back to ya.You are very welcome Ian!!! I am sending you hugs everyday!!!!Thanks i will!!Love your pics!!!Take care and REST!!!
Cody

This message was edited Oct 22, 2013 3:30 PM

This message was edited Oct 22, 2013 10:03 PM

Hi Trish,you are very welcome.That is great that you already got your mom hooked on them already.Thats just to funny that she has already beento the market to buy more.Alex will be home in a few hours.YAY!!!!
Take care!!!

Hi,Shirley,Jen,Sue,Tash,Bree,Jean,Wendy and D.

Cody

Hi Nev,thats great that y'alls country has burn bands as well.Still that it is so sad that y'alls country is battling wild fires.It is sad that know one is doing what they can to put them out.Who ever rules that country should always be perpared for things like that know matter what.All the homes that has been lost is very sad.It is very heartbreaking.Love your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

This message was edited Oct 22, 2013 9:59 PM

Queensland, Australia

Hello!!!
sorry I have been absent, I have just been busy and like today, I go to come and write and then see how far behind I am and then usually think it's too much to catch up and go do something else. So today I decided I would write but.... sorry I haven't read through the posts. I did a really quick skim, mainly to see how far back my last post was, I did notice Ian you are crook, didn't see what was wrong but that you aren't great, sorry to hear that and I will hopefully follow along now to see what's going on and I hope you are feeling up to speed soon.
I also noticed Nev that you are using windows Vista, so a new computer? I remember when I went from XP to Vista, it was a bit of a shock to the system. We have a laptop that we barely use, as I must rather prefer the desktop and it is Windows 7, so different again! And.... our desktop is playing up more and more, so will probably look at a new one maybe next year.... and now they run Windows 8! Bugger me. Anyone running Windows 8? From what I have seen of it, and the way the desktop lays out, I don't like it and am avoiding it as long as possible. Very much aimed at social media and from the shots I have seen of it on advertisements, looks more like my phone screen or 'tablet' screen .... nothing like my computer screen. Why do they change things and make us have to put up with things we don't want??!!
Nev on the 18th of October, your first pic, that one really caught my eye, your test pics. Can I ask what that one is please?
We have been cleaning up and re arranging the two brom houses, made a bit more room by booting the potting bench out of the brom house and moving the fence out a coupe of metres. Amazing how much can be gained by doing such little things. Then we did similar things in the little brom house, just by moving things around a bit more space can be made. Threw out a lot of old mums that were so shabby and no doubt trying to push their very last pup, but some just haven't been going anywhere and have given so many already, it was time to just bite the bullet and toss them out. We have lots in flower at the moment, so there will be more pups to come and more mum's to move into the old mum section so the space won't last for long.
Plus we are now at that point of getting better with seedlings.... and have to cull and pot things up, so again.... where do we put them? LOL. So tough decisions have to made on what to grow up and what to cull early. I mean if we had unlimited space, we would grow most of them to see what they will become, but as we have very limited space, it's more a thing of looking at the cross and now that we know more about broms, searching if it's been done before, is it worth growing, etc etc. Also as you all know, we started with seed a couple of years ago, but a lot of what we started with, really hasn't grown like it should of, we had some big hurdles in the last two years and a lot of things got neglected and had to just struggle along. We have worked it out now, have a seedling area they actually like and thrive in, irrigation on timer for them, which they seem to love and now we are finally seeing things growing far quickly than ever before. Some seed that was given to me by a friend down south, I showed him pics the other day and said.... yours are probably bigger as we haven't feeding them as much as we probably should be. He was shocked how big they were compared to his and he sowed his before me. So that was nice, to know we are finally getting there and seeing things move like they should. I feel bad for all the seed we have killed in the last 2 years! But now we are getting it sorted :)
Seems there is always something to do.
I hope everyone is safe with all these fires and that everyone broms are doing well. Hello to anyone on the sick list, waving to everyone :)
I will find some pics to add later :)

I'm running windows 8 & you spotted the major flaw - it is designed for tablets & smart phones & is just a nuisance on a normal lap top.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Wendy thanks for the great advice on growing Tills, I have so many ways to try now so I am looking forward to trying a few different ways to see what works well for here.

Wendy if you happen to come across a spare Neo. Medallion pup one day could you put my name down for a pup thanks after whoever else is chasing one as the list appears to be growing LOL.

Wendy Pic 4 of your Neo. Concentrica seedling is gorgeous, I can see why it was so popular at your brom sale and that a great looking lot of broms on your sales table, they would have been snapped up quickly given there wonderful colour and size.

Hi Nev thanks mums bits and pieces arrived very safely in the post and she is in the process of potting everything up with much excitement.

Nev oh my goodness the air quality you describe with one of the areas affected by the bushfires sounds absolutely horrible. Imagine those like me who suffer from asthma, I am bad enough when our local tip has a burn off so I would not last two seconds anywhere surrounded where there are bushfires. We had one near my work about a month ago and I had to go home because the smoke knocked me for a sixer and my asthma spray did not help at all until I go away from the smoke and was home. I get very frustrated with this though because I have always wanted to be a volunteer in these crisis situations but it’s pointless I would only hinder not help not being able to breathe properly.

Nev thanks I enjoy contributing to this forum because everyone is so lovely to chat with and it’s such a great way to unwind after a busy day at work.

Nev thanks I think I got my barks mixed up for growing Tills and for some reason when you said Bottle Brush tree is good for growing Tills on for some reason my brain converted this to Paperbark tree, must be all those one’s we have in the wetlands that got me side tracked he he.

Nev thanks yes the broms in the back garden beds are starting to colour up nicely with a lot of them flowering at the moment. The Large Neo. you asked about in Pic 3, 4 and 5 from the 21/10 is Neo. ‘Rose Blush’, its HUGE and I luv how its blushing rose in the middle at the moment.

Nev I will have to check if I have Neo. ‘Kay Jay’, it rings a bell but I don’t know if it’s in my garden or on my Wish List LOL. I will check and let you know on the weekend? Nev luved your garden shots so full of colour and wonderful looking broms.

Hi Cody, HOORAH Alex is home!

Cody yep mum has got the brom bug big time and I sent her home with some more vriesea seed and some till seed so she is really getting into a bit of everything and getting a real kick out of it along the way.

Hi Tash you guys sound flat out busy but organised which is great and there is nothing nicer than feeling like you are getting on top of things which then makes you appreciate even more what you have because you have time to smell the roses so to speak. I know when I have made progress in the garden I try to keep it that way as long as I can because otherwise things just keep piling up on me and I only have the weekends spare to play with that’s if we don’t get interruptions along the way. Anyway great to hear from you as I have missed reading your threads and seeing all your beautiful brom pics.

Trish

Random new pics of the back garden:

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi to all!!!
Hi Trish,yes it is a blessing that alsex is back home.I am so glad he is home!!!He gets up to eat a bowl of cereal and afterwards he gets on the couch and goes back to sleep.He is fixing to have to wake up in a few minutes to get ready for school.

Oh yeah,you got her interested in something that she seems to very much enjoy.That was very sweet of you to send her some seeds home with her too.She will be so happy when she sees them popping up.Yes,she is going to have a good o time with everything.Love your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

Wendy, just wondering if you got your truckload of water … we certainly didn’t get any rain, perhaps you should order another, maybe the second one will work. Love the pic of your neo Medallion and the shape and colour of your concentrica seedling.

Jean, raining there again, we would be happy to take it off your hands but I think it’s needed in NSW a lot more unfortunately. I find it hard to believe that a number of those terrible fires were deliberately lit … what is wrong with people that they would intentionally cause so much devastation and heartbreak, even loss of life.

Ian, great to hear you salvaged a lot of your seedlings. Hope all your tests turn out OK.

Trish, wouldn’t it be nice to just buy, buy and buy more broms and not have to worry about the price … now that’s my fantasy.

Nev, thanks for the hint of using wire to lower my hanging plants.

Tash, good to see your posting again, looking forward to your new pics.

My pics are some of the broms from Wendy’s sale … more next time … drooling is allowed !!!

Pic 1 - Ae Fia variegated, Pic 2 - neo Passion Pink, pic 3 - neo Lilac Prince, pic 4 - neo Sometimes, pic 5 - Vr Dad’s Favourite (my favourite too, thanks Johnny).

Thanks Sue for the variegated blanchetiana, it’s a beauty.

Bye, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

was mentally building a house last night - I day dream when I can't fall asleep...
thinking about tills - wondering if they would like living on a ponga log.

http://www.pongasdirect.co.nz/products

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Everyone - Another hot and windy one here yesterday and still they're managing to keep the bushfire on top of the escarpment contained. Choppers with water buckets flying backwards and forwards all day to help put out the spot fires in inaccessible areas and the endless sounds of sirens just to remind people of what the emergency is all about.

Wendy- Somehow I missed reading your first post yesterday, I was too busy admiring your Neo. seedling in the second post. That’s all good, handy information about growing the Tillandsia seed and thanks for sharing; I’ll add that to my ever growing list of cultural tips which I collect from various forums.

My next comment is about what you said about Neo. ‘Medallion’, apparently the fact that it just continues to grow up and up and doesn’t pup is the main distinguishing feature of the true Neo.‘Medallion’. See:http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=5747#5747

I don’t know of the Neo.‘Robinsky Red’ you mention and can’t find it on the register. What more can you tell us about it?

Tash - Good to see you've been able to post again. Yes I'm still coming to grips with Windows Vista, I'm not too fussed about it and much prefer my old XP but as I had the offer of this computer on loan from the Light Rail Museum for as long as I want it, how could I say no. That first test pic I posted on the 18th which you asked about was one I've had for a long time and is called Ae fasciata rubra; the lady I got it from warned me that it was a very slow grower and very prone to rot. I've found it is a slow grower and have never got a single pup from it and all though I've had no rot problems (touch wood) the lady I got it from has lost both of her plants to rot, so as you can understand, I'm trying to nurse it well and get at least one pup from it.

Theresa – Thanks for the tip, I’ll make sure I never get Windows 8 as I don’t know what a “smart phone” is; my phone has a wire attached and is called a “tele phone”, I’ve had it for years and it works fine and lets me talk to people all over the world. As for a tablet, no thanks, I’m taking that many tablets now that I almost rattle so definitely not another one.

Great looking bark on those “Ponga Logs” I reckon the brom’s would love growing on them

Trish – Sorry to hear you are an asthmatic but glad to hear that you would like to volunteer in times of these emergency situations. Don’t let the fact that you have asthma put you off. I’ve been involved in emergency organisations most of my life and I can tell you there are many roles to play other than being on the fire front and in the smoke.

These organisations usually have a welfare section or a welfare organisation working with them and apart from preparing food for the fire fighters at the “front” there are also evacuees requiring assistance and it’s in these roles they are usually short handed and grateful for any help they can get in the evacuation centres. They need people to register the names of evacuees, prepare and distribute food, distribute clothing, toys, care for pets etc. etc… the list goes on. There are many facets to a volunteer organisation that we never hear about, but one thing for sure is, that if you offer to help, you won’t be turned down.

Sorry for the advertisement everyone, there I go again on my soap box; but it’s something that’s not widely known and everyone should be aware of.

Thanks for the ID on Neo. ‘Rose Blush’, I have a plant called Neo. ‘Deep Rose Blush’ (unregistered) but that is a medium sized plant.

You talk about making progress in the garden, the only progress I make is adding more plants (which I shouldn’t). I know the old brom. saying is “there is always room for one more”, and there usually is, but then that “one more” has pups and where do you then put them. Unfortunately my progress at the moment seems to be in a backward direction.

Great random shots of the garden again; what are the names of the two pinkish coloured plants in pic.5, one on either side of Neo.’ Painted Delight’ ?. One looks like a reversal of the other…… very nice.

Cody – Glad to hear Alex is home again. He seems pretty much like most kids in our family too. Always wanting to stretch out their free time before school as much as they can. However it’s very different when the weekend comes around, there's no getting back on the couch then, it’s more like, “let’s get up and at ‘em.

Shirley – I can remember when I was a kid and we had tanks and had to get water delivered in a tanker when our tanks went dry. Kids down here today think you’re pulling their leg when we tell them of these things - Three cheers for the town water supply.

Like you I can’t understand why people want to light fires period, but what puzzles me more is that it seems to be mostly teenagers down here. Is it due to “peer pressure” or perhaps even a “dare”? Yesterday police arrested two boys one 12 and the other 13; the day before it was two girls, about the same age….. what are they thinking, don’t they understand the devastation they are causing ?

Great pic’s again, I like your Neo. ‘Sometimes’, it seems that it’s a Grace Goode hybrid from possibly one of the ‘Aussie Dreams’, doesn’t look that much unlike Neo. ‘Perfection’.

That’s it for today and the pic’s are 1 A very angry red sunrise yesterday, shining through the bushfire smoke haze. 2 The “kids” waiting for breakfast, 3 and 4, untidy plants awaiting dead leafing and pup removal and 5 another of Peter Coyle’s beautiful new N.Z. hybrids Neo.’Apricot Nectar’ x ‘Jewellery Shop’.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Queensland, Australia

Good morning everyone,
I'll start in reverse so to speak, lol.
Teresa, I had to laugh when I went to that link, I scrolled and first bit I stopped on to read was about the wrong spelling that most people spell it Punga, not Ponga. I must admit.... I would of thought it would of been spelt punga. opps. But anyway, I reckon on a live ponga would be a great spot for them, and probably a ponga log too. But someone else can probably better advise you on that one :)
Shirley love those newbies, I only just got a Neo Sometimes recently too, had never seen one before getting mine and I think they are stunning brom, made me wonder why I hadn't seen any before? Love all your newbies. Passion Pink is such a stunner as it matures. Vr Dad's Favourite is still one of my favourite Vr's in the brom house. Mine has a pup on it too, but I won't be parting with it, you can understand why lol.
Cody I'm glad Alex is home again, yaaaa happy days.
Thanks Trish, yes we have been so busy but as you say, it feels good to stand back and feel like you have achieved something and that it looks better now. We are always day dreaming of more space, wishing we could spread out more with the broms and keep pups to increase stock numbers of things, ohhh well, can't do it, but dreams are free ;) Your garden shots are looking fantastic, the 'veranda' above them must be agreeing with them. This is the area with the cloth above isn't it? Or have I lost the plot? don't answer that, ha ha ha.
Ahhh Teresa, you confirmed what I thought about Windows 8, I wonder if some new computers still come with Windows 7 at least? Or if they will bring out yet another newer windows and get rid of the phone type look that 8 has. It's awful! I like to have my destop how I want it, folders, shortcuts, programs etc. Anything I have seen advertising Windows 8, looks like the options of having your desktop still looking the same as 'normal' have gone. I will dodge Windows 8 as long as I can, unless someone tells me you can make it look like ... well how mine looks now.

Well I am trying to find an ID on some little mini's I have, have a few pots of them and have never bothered chasing up a name, actually to come to think of it, I think I did try a little while back and no one on FB was sure. So am trying again now that they are flowering. I'll add them here just in case someone has them in their collection and knows a name :)

So these two pics are of a NOID Neo Mini we have.

Ohh Nev you posted as I was typing, I wonder if you and I are looking at the same pic from the 18th? I would of sworn it was a neo. I wonder if I can link to the exact photo... I'll give it a go and see if it works. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9688149
At least changing up to Vista isn't too bad, but any change takes some getting use too. From Vista to 7 is quite different and I don't like it, and haven't been game to try 8. XP and Vista have been my favourites so far.
One day I might end up trying a Mac which I wouldn't of thought I would ever consider, but I don't like the direction Windows is going in at the moment. Who knows.

Ok better go, pollinations to do and kids pulling at me..literally. Have a great day everyone :)

Thumbnail by springer99 Thumbnail by springer99

Hi Tash,glad you are back on.Thanks!!! I am so glad that he is home.Love your pics!!!Take care!!!
Cody

This message was edited Oct 23, 2013 9:31 PM

This message was edited Oct 25, 2013 6:29 AM

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hi Cody pleased to hear how thrilled you are that Alex is home, you sound like such a wonderful mummy and I really enjoy hearing what you both get up to together and how much fun you both have.

Hi Shirley yes I totally agree that it would be nice to buy lots of broms without worrying about the price but then we would need to buy a huge block and build a big nursery to house them all LOL and I would have to quit work to look after them all – ah to dream such a beautiful dream.

Shirley great pics of your new broms, I could not pick a favourite as they are all gorgeous.

Hi Nev thanks for the advice about volunteering in emergency situations I will have to investigate and see how I can contribute in future as like I say it has always been something I have wanted to do.

Nev does your Neo. ‘Deep Rose Blush’ looks anything like my Neo. ‘Rose Blush’?

Nev what about having another brom sale to make some more room in your garden? I have been selling and giving away a few here and there as gifts and it is really making a difference for me around the garden and it is great being able to inject some money back into buying supplies etc. I don’t have a great deal of time up my sleeve to sell them but when I do every little bit helps and we are really noticing the small pockets of space here and there around the garden.

Nev the two pinkish coloured broms either side of Neo. ‘Painted Delight’ is Neo. ‘Imperfecta’ (on the left) and Neo. ‘Cane Fire’ (pup still on mother) on the right.

Nev lovely pics you posted, even the one of the angry red sunrise. I adored Pic 2 of the “kids” waiting for breakfast he he. And that’s a pretty lot of colourful broms to brighten up ones day.

Hi Tash thanks for your nice comments re my broms in the back garden bed, yes you are right these are the ones with the new shade cloth curtains over them, they appear to be loving the protection from the harsh sun that over the past month has really been intensifying in that part of the garden. See you have not lost the plot at all, your right on the money LOL. Ah yes wouldn’t it be nice to have more room for more broms, but I have come to the conclusion that as much as that would be nice there would not be enough time on the weekends for me to be able to manage anything bigger than what we currently have so the best thing for me to do is look after what I have best I can and grow them well and sell or swap any extra’s as I go. As it is most of my weekends are spent in the garden and I have to make a point of taking time out every now and then to spend quality time with Joe and my friends otherwise this brom addition of my just consumes every bit of spare time I have. Luckily I have a very understanding husband who collects orchids and understanding friends that visit me a lot he he.

Tash I wonder what that NOID Neo. Mini is; it’s really pretty being so deep red?

Trish

Oops need to take more pics as I'm out of freshies...

Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi to all!!!

Hi Trish,i am very happy that alex is home.Thanks so much that really means alot to me.Alex is my life and he is a mamas boy.I love spending time with him.After he ate his cereal again.He is back on the couch asleep.He has 30 minutes to get his nap out before he has to get ready for school.Love your picture!!!Take care!!!
Cody

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Much cooler yesterday fortunately, but I still didn't get to spend any time in the garden as it was again another day at the Light Rail Museum. I would have preferred to have spent the days working with the brom's but I think it's also just as necessary to spend some time with my mates as well, so I'm spreading my hobbies and not putting all my eggs in the one basket so to speak. As for this morning, well it's cooler still. Two days ago it was shorts and singlet, today it's "trackies" and cardigan.....crazy weather.

Tash - The pic of the plant you asked about was on the 17th and not the 18th that's why I gave you the name of an Aechmea and not a Neo. The plant in question is Neo.''Ladd's Gem'; it's one of Allan Ladd's hybrids which I bought from Ross Little. I think I currently have about seven on the waiting list for a pup and it's just decided to put on a “go slow” strike for me. I know there's a couple of members from this forum with their names down as well and they were the first two if it ever produces enough pups for me.

Your mini Neo. NOID looks a bit like an unregistered one I have called Neo. 'Aleena', although I'll have to take a pic and compare them side by side to be sure. The one I have is very light variable and is almost green with a few burgundy spots when grown in the shade and needs very bright light to bring out the best colour.

Cody – ADHD - Seems like they have a name for everything these days. When we were kids we were up at the crack of dawn, never stopped all day and went to bed at 7.30pm to recharge our batteries; I wonder if we had been born in this era if we would have been diagnosed as ADHD also.
I still think it's better than seeing kids stuck in front of a TV or computer playing games all day or walking around with those things stuck in their ears and their whole attention focused on their mobile phone whilst they cross the road against the lights because they aren't paying attention to what's happening around them......... I know I'm an “old fart” and have old ideas, but that's just me.
Anyway it's good Alex is back home with you again and you'll be able to do things together on the coming weekend.

Trish – There are countless people like yourself with some type of health problem which they feel rules them out of these organisations which help others in their time of need. Nothing could be further from the truth, and if you check out the site below and read all about the various roles played by the S.E.S. as just one example, you will see what I mean, and if training is required it's all provided free as well. I started my thirty year career in ambulance/rescue type work in heavy industry as a direct result of initially being trained in first aid whilst volunteering with the N.S.W. S.E.S. So it can also lead on to other things as well. http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/ses/about.asp

My Neo. 'Deep Rose Blush' isn't anything like your plant; it is only a small/medium size grower with no markings on the leaves like your plant and as the name suggests the centre is a deep rose pink in colour.

Trish – I'd love to have a brom sale to make more room but all of the work involved in setting it up is getting a bit too much for us I'm afraid. If I was to have a sale I would like to do it properly and display the plants in all of their glory, but when I think of the work involved in our past sales, it's become a bit of a “turn off” I'm afraid. I guess I'll just have to keep selling a few by mail order and hope to keep numbers under control that way.

Thanks for the ID on Neo's. 'Imperfecta' and 'Cane Fire', both beautiful eye catching plants, if possible could you add my name to your list for a pup of each if and when you get one looking for a good home?

What a great pic to finish up with, only one pic though? I guess quality is better than quantity anyway, and what a great array of colour.

Well that's me finished for today and still no new pic's of mine; fortunately Peter Coyle of Totara Waters in N.Z. Has given me permission to show you some of his new hybrids from Neo.'Apricot Nectar' x Neo.'Jewellery Shop'.

All the best, Nev.

wow - Peter Coyle certainly produces some fantastic broms - I love the last one, am a sucker for purple tones... the rest are stunners too.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2013 6:25 AM

Queensland, Australia

Hi Everyone, Trish I'm glad I am not losing the plot lol. They are all looking great so it's agreeing with them for sure. The heat is only going to get worse as Summer approaches. I love that group shot, what is the speckle type looking albo one please? Canefire maybe? Ohh I just read Nev's thanks for the id of Canefire, so that must be it. It's one that is on my wishlist too, must get one of them.
Nev sorry for mixing the date up, at least that link worked and that was nice and easy. It looks like a really nice brom. No wonder you have a waiting list for it, I can see why.
Cody have you tried playing with Alex's diet at all? Not sure what you guys eat and not bagging your parenting so don't react the wrong way, just asking is all. There has been a lot of research of late that a lot of ADHD can be controlled or lessened by cutting colours, additives etc out of kids diets, especially boys which seem by the stats, more sensitive to it. I think for starters boys are just more 'go go' than girls and if they are sensitive to 'stuff' in their food, then you get a hyperactive out of control child. Not saying diet would correct everything or anything in your case, but a lot of tests are showing it makes a huge difference. I know our son is hypo, and can't sit still much, and needs to burn off his energy to sleep at night, but he is EXTREMELY affected by what he eats. He is a well mannered little boy, give him something like a mouthful of Fanta and holly cow!!! My Mum when she was alive, was so proud of my little boy... but so horrified once out shopping when he had a mouthful of fanta and turned into a hyperactive, non listening, stupid, silly, crazy uncontrollable brat! I am very careful what he eats and this keeps him on track. My older daughter could drink red cordial til the cows come home, eat lollies, sugar etc, no reaction.... not my son! Anyway, just thought I would mention it in case it helps, you probably know all this anyway.
Well it's back to stinking hot here, had a few drizzly days which was nice, but they seem to be behind us now. Strange this year, I always take photos of what's flowering and this year we still have things just starting to flower, ie flower deep in the cup still, where as last year, they all came in together a good month or more back not in continual dribs and drabs like this year. Maybe this is normal and last year was odd? LOL
Anyway, weekend tomorrow... where did the week go? Little man will be 4 early next week, now where did those 4 years go, let alone the last week, lol.
Ok pics, this one opened it's first flowers today, Neo Macho Splotcho

Thumbnail by springer99 Thumbnail by springer99
north coast nsw, Australia

1. Gold Explosion, who's in too much sun by the look of it, is flowering
2. Gespacho 3. the Camelot Nev give me ( Nev- do you think its also Gespacho or maybe just from alot of sun looks similar?)
4. NOID
as you can see mine are in alot of sun and most are red tones. ha!

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Tash i have tried that stuff.It didn't work.

Everyone i will not be on this thread anymore.I don't need know grief from anyone. BYE!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.