Seed Purge Fall 2013

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Well I tried to collect some red monarda today, but I didn't find any seeds.... The seed heads were there, but I didn't find any seed in them? Lol the pink ones have small roundish seed that looks a little like a poppy seed. But all I see on the red stuff is the bigger chaff.. Not sure if it produced any. It has struggled a bit due to getting shaded out by the lilac? I will let you know if I get some

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Flinter, I found a few "White Swan" Coneflower if you'd like to try some of those.

Outlaw - packaged up some Pink Brandywine tomato seeds for you.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Awe thanks Hun! I hope to have good luck with my tomatoes next year. Only planted one cherry this year. Always seemed like we ended up with too many... Well, not this year!! Hahah

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from OutlawHeart81 :
Hahaha :) ok, sorry for the confusion guys!
Yes I threw away everything older than 2011
Turns out all I have after is peas and beans. If its ok with legallyheidi I will throw in the extras besides my 5 for those who wanted them. If I have extra bags. :)
I will put your name on the phlox Carolina. I will see if I have any seeds that are larger than 20 per bag maybe I can make a few extras that way, but I tried to be generous. :) ok so I am re sorting now and I will be checking out any clearance seeds I can find!!! :)

Thanks! I will put your name on one of the packs of African Daisy seeds. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kathy, those are some very pretty flowers! I love purple. :)

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Carolina flower8 this is Coral Nymph Salvia that I grew last year.
Got seeds already packaged for you as well as the Snow Nymph.

Also shown is a pic of the lantana (orange & yellow) and flamingo
feather (FF) celosia. Pic doesn't do justice to the FF - its really a
vibrant magenta.

Word to the wise on the FF. Its a really heavy reseeder & there
is NO pod. It just falls to the ground. Second year it came back we
put a shower curtain around the base to catch the seeds - they
fall off when you give the bush a couple of shakes.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2013 11:42 PM

Thumbnail by Cris316 Thumbnail by Cris316
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Cris316 :
Carolina flower8 this is Coral Nymph Salvia that I grew last year.
Got seeds already packaged for you as well as the Snow Nymph.

Also shown is a pic of the lantana (orange & yellow) and flamingo
feather (FF) celosia. Pic doesn't do justice to the FF - its really a
vibrant magenta.

Word to the wise on the FF. Its a really heavy reseeder & there
is NO pod. It just falls to the ground. Second year it came back we
put a shower curtain around the base to catch the seeds - they
fall off when you give the bush a couple of shakes.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2013 11:42 PM

Woohoo! Thank you! I have the red salvia coccinea (I am hoping I have enough collected seeds to share), and it is an awesome plant. I am excited about getting more colors. :):):):)

Lantana is such a beautiful plant. If you have any seeds to send in, could I get some, please? The FF looks pretty interesting, too. :)

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 3:05 PM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Carolina...are you wanting something ? LOL.....

Chris can I put in a request for the Salvia Coral Nymph and Celosia FF?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
Carolina...are you wanting something ? LOL.....

Chris can I put in a request for the Salvia Coral Nymph and Celosia FF?

Well.....maybe. Lol Ok, yes, please. :) Could I have some Veronica spicata 'SightSeeing Blue' and Penstemon strictus 'Rocky Mountain Blue,' please? I am such a sucker for purple spiky plants. :) Thanks!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Hahaha!!! Me too! me too!!! Lol ok I am just gonna be content to whatever comes my way. Health issues keep me from being able to do all I would like, and I need to go low maintenance. But I get here and see everything and then all that leaves my brain! It's like being in a candy store! BUT BETTER! Lol

Jamestown, OH

Outlawheart, will send NewMex Big Jim Chile and Cherokee Purple Tomato seeds for you. Can't remember who offered Arizona Apricot Gaillardia seeds, but I bought a plant at Lowe's...lot's of nice plants on sale now. WWKathy, I would love to have some of your Johnny Jumpup Mix.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hahaha!!! Me too! me too!!! Lol ok I am just gonna be content to whatever comes my way. Health issues keep me from being able to do all I would like, and I need to go low maintenance. But I get here and see everything and then all that leaves my brain! It's like being in a candy store! BUT BETTER! Lol

I agree on the better-than-a-candy-store analogy. This is so much healthier....exercise...fresh air...sunshine.... :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking on the candy store vs. plants thing. Will get back to you after I eat some dark chocolate for breakfast. :P

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from AmandaEsq :
I'm thinking on the candy store vs. plants thing. Will get back to you after I eat some dark chocolate for breakfast. :P

Lol :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok, made up some packets, and outlawheart are you wanting some? Wasn't sure from the above post if you were just agreeing or asking... LOL.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Carolina, the salvia is already packaged for you & certainly will
add the FF. Will also check the lantana.

WarriorsWisdomKathy, will have to check the stash on the salvia but
have plenty FF. Was going to send extra packages of the FF to the
swap.

Didn't grow much this year - as I have mobility issues, thus not up
to speed on how much I have left from last years gleaning.

Have plenty of columbine seeds - a mix of plum, winky blue, winky raspberry
and another blue. Then I have some seeds in original pack from 2011.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Cris316 :
Carolina, the salvia is already packaged for you & certainly will
add the FF. Will also check the lantana.

WarriorsWisdomKathy, will have to check the stash on the salvia but
have plenty FF. Was going to send extra packages of the FF to the
swap.

Didn't grow much this year - as I have mobility issues, thus not up
to speed on how much I have left from last years gleaning.

Have plenty of columbine seeds - a mix of plum, winky blue, winky raspberry
and another blue. Then I have some seeds in original pack from 2011.

Thanks! :):)

I have a few more to add to my send list....these are also commercial packs. I need to go through my collected seeds.

Morning Glory, Scarlet O Hara (1)
Watermelon, Crimson Sweet (2)
Sunflower, Mammoth Russian (1)
Sunflower, Evening Sun (1)
Sunflower, Lemon Queen (1)
Cleome, Rose Queen (3)

This message was edited Sep 11, 2013 9:25 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Midwest, if I am not too late, could I add purple candytuft to my requests from you, please? That is one of my daughter's favorite plants. :) Do you want McKana Columbine?

This message was edited Sep 11, 2013 9:33 PM

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
Ok, made up some packets, and outlawheart are you wanting some? Wasn't sure from the above post if you were just agreeing or asking... LOL.

hahahah well.....if you insist!!! i figure i can naturalize the johnny jump ups through the lawn.(...what lawn?)
and the veronica would look great next to lime light hydrangea :)
hahahah

this wacky weather is definitely taking it's toll on me. thank goodness i got the front yard "done" and it looks pretty. now onto the back beds, which is where all these seeds are going, eventually... but it's the back yard, so no one sees it (thank god) hahaha it's a wreck. there are some cardinals playing in this mound of weeds, that i think are rag weed, cause i haven't seen any gold on em, but they are big spindly things like goldenrod. the allergies don't help. it's been exactly a year since i contracted fibromyalgia after a serious battle with strep throat, who would have ever thought?! at 32 i know more about dexterity/mobility issues than most senior citizens! so, i am sorta re-imagining the back gardens now. i am thinking of doing a raised bed and pond back there. but both are so much work. ahhh dreams and mustard seeds of faith.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2013 2:50 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Aww, Kel, you're the most vibrant senior citizen that I know. :)

Umm, Heidi? Is this how the seed purge is supposed to work? Haggling over packets? If so, I'd better start before dawn gets all he good stuff.

Hey Dawn. I had Snoopy to the Burlington road animal hospital for follow up blood work for the kidney thing. I saw your car when I passed on wendover but was on a tight schedule so I couldn't turn off.

Do you mind drop ins?

Good morning everybody. going to check in on the Night Owl thread.
xox

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Good morning!!!! Aka goodnight! Time for bed, so I can wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed first thing in the afternoon!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from AmandaEsq :
Aww, Kel, you're the most vibrant senior citizen that I know. :)

Umm, Heidi? Is this how the seed purge is supposed to work? Haggling over packets? If so, I'd better start before dawn gets all he good stuff.

Hey Dawn. I had Snoopy to the Burlington road animal hospital for follow up blood work for the kidney thing. I saw your car when I passed on wendover but was on a tight schedule so I couldn't turn off.

Do you mind drop ins?

Good morning everybody. going to check in on the Night Owl thread.
xox

What did you think of them? I love that place. :) They are very cheap and very caring/nice. How did the blood work come back?

It would be best to text me first to see if I am available, since much of my time is spent with my parents or traveling to/from school. But, I am open to last-minute inquiries. :) I have some ageratum seeds for you.

Outlaw...sorry about all the health problems. Ragweed is horrible to my asthma/allergies. I am on 6 meds right now, trying to avoid the nebulizer. Ugh.

Heidi....you are awesome. :):):):)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2013 5:41 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Dawn they send the blood work out. Probably helps to keep the costs low. Will get results later today. A good friend and wildlife rehabber suggested Dr. Upshaw. This was my second trip, had our senior cat with allergies there last week. Will take the eyeball cat for spay next week, so you see we are very pleased. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from AmandaEsq :
Dawn they send the blood work out. Probably helps to keep the costs low. Will get results later today. A good friend and wildlife rehabber suggested Dr. Upshaw. This was my second trip, had our senior cat with allergies there last week. Will take the eyeball cat for spay next week, so you see we are very pleased. :)

I thought I recommended them, too. If not, I meant to. :) Yeah, the results usually come pretty fast. He knows his stuff. Heather, I think, knows almost as much as he does. I vet-hopped until I started going there. I have used them since 2006 or 2007. I am glad you like him..,.he is sooo much cheaper. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You had recommended someone to take my car to for repairs. :)

Well I got seeds to collect I suppose. Everything here is so slow and late, May not have as much as I thought.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Packets made up for those requesting....Kathy

Jamestown, OH

Carolinaflower8, will add Purple Candytuft for you. WWkathy, can't remember if you requested Pink Balloon Flower? The one I bought has seed pods, but they haven't dried yet. Today's rain (much needed) won't help the seed drying process.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from AmandaEsq :

Well I got seeds to collect I suppose. Everything here is so slow and late, May not have as much as I thought.

Whoops. I remember talking about him....I was probably supposed to send you info. I am glad someone else did and that you like them. The mechanic duo is just as awesome. :)

I have seeds.....but, I think a lot would be considered hybrid. For example, I have a red blanket flower and an Arizona Apricot. I also have regular black eye Susan and Tiger Eye black eye Susan. Their seeds could be hybrid, right? (If I can figure out if I am collecting viable seeds.) It does seem I am getting less marigold seeds this year.

Wait, I still have French marigold seeds from last year. A LOT. Anyone want any? Please?!

I still need to sort the rest.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2013 3:11 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, WW and Midwest!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2013 3:15 PM

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from AmandaEsq :

Everything is slow here, as well...my beans are just now starting to really produce.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I love French marigolds! Send em in!!! Lol this is more like a binge than purge...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I love French marigolds! Send em in!!! Lol this is more like a binge than purge...

It is so much fun, seriously! :)

Yay! I have more...anyone else?

Does anyone want Grandoa Ott (purple with pink throat) morning glory seeds? I have enough for 5 people. :)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2013 9:10 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

more like a binge than purge...

Heee. Everyone is quoting so I thought I would too. Kel, I binged on two giant honeycrisp apples today and I will be purging for the next three days, I think. :/

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I keep forgetting.....I use these for seeds, I figure if safe for pills, they should be good for seeds. They are about $1.50, I think.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-50-ct/10318648

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

See, they're fine. I don't see a price. There are small plastic zipper bags in the craft section in several sizes too.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I buy mine in bulk off of Amazon.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Amanda, they are about $1.50 at our Walmart....I think $1.38. Heidi, are they listed at seed bags on Amazon?

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I believe so. My Walmart doesn't sell them, and there's not a craft store near by, so $2 plus shipping on Amazon isn't too bag.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Whoa, I found some cheaper ones on Amazon. Thx!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

No problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.