Florida Chit-Chat #10 - Summertime

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/

In case your too hot to garden, or you just want to chat, this is the place.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 5:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 5:05 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 7:46 PM

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Link did not work

Sandy

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Too HOT is right!!!!! I went out & got some pots this AM and then, by the time I got home, it was too hot to get anything planted. I'll be out there before 7AM tomorrow to get these bare root plants into some dirt.

Got my sprinkler heads readjusted today so plants will be happy tomorrow AM when water goes where it should.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Geeze, its only 745 and I already need a shower. Pulled some weeds, got the lawn mower gassed up and all the tires filled. Had to come in a re-coup. Ill go out and mow in a few. I just dont feel like picking up limbs, so we shall see what I can mow around. I also need to round up before the sun comes up to much so the sun can bake it on.

Do you have a well for watering Jean, or do you have to water with city water? It was just a week ago its was raining cats and dogs and now everything is wilted again. We only have city water and its just so $$$$$$$ to water on a consistant basis.

We are on well here so water is "free"!!!!!

People keep giving me plants and I need to get them planted. Was out by 7AM today. Got some out front. Then a friend fm back in MD called so I stopped to chat with her. Now I need to get the shovel & plant these Ginger & lillies in the back.

It is 80 and 87% humidity here already!!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the Florida forum so let me introduce myself again. I'm a butterfly gardener with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome so I get a lot of help from my Dad. I live with my parents so this kind of works out since it's ultimately his yard anyway. Dad had ultimate veto power, LOL! I also volunteer once a week in the butterfly garden/flight encounter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI).

Yesterday I planted (with much help from Dad) some new plants I bought at the USF Plant Festival and Lowe's. I got some Route 66 coreopsis, another kind of taller coreopsis, some Giant Milkweed, Rue, and a Bronze Fennel. We had to take many water breaks throughout the day. It's just so hot and humid outside.

Speaking of humidity, I'm currently battling fungus on my orchids. Tomorrow I'm going to go out there and get harsh with them. Slicing off the infected parts, dusitng with cinnamon, then spraying with Physan 20. I don't use chemicals on anything other than my orchids; the majority of my yard is native and butterfly friendly. In fact, I'm raising five kinds of caterpillars right now.

Here's a pic of a Gulf Fritillary on my jatropha. That's the Route 66 Coreopsis and some native porterweed in the background.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

So good to see you posting again. Hope to see you often. The FL forum has some new members/gardeners, with some great ideas. Fun to see everyones things.

Glad to see another butterfly/nature gardener.
I just ordered some new kinds of milkweed seeds from Georgia Vines-they have 50 different kinds most should grow here.

Sandy

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Melanie, hope those milkweeds grow well for you!

Haven't been online much, still dealing with the kitchen. Drywall is up and painted and most of the cabinets have been delivered, still waiting for a few more. We are hoping to get it completed by the 4th. The gardens are thriving even though I have been neglecting them a little. All this rain over the past few weeks has been great! Here are some random pictures of what I have blooming.

1. Blue hydrangea
2. Light pink crinum. I have the milk and wine and a dark pink in abundance. My neighbor gave me a few plants of the light pink last year and this is the first bloom.
3. One of my plumerias. I stuck this piece in the ground last year because it still had blooms on it and I wanted to see if they would open. The blooms bloomed and it has grown and thrived in the spot I put it in.
4. This heliconia was given to me by a friend and I had no clue what the bloom would look like. A year later I get flowers. :)
5. Zinnia I got at the RU, thanks Bonnie!

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Definately too HUMID to garden this AM. At 0530 it was 78 and felt like 90 out there. I'm waiting for the promised cold front to come thru. If the weekend is as nice as promised, I'll be out there all day, both days, finishing up the planting & getting the mowing done.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Melanie, I know you from the butterfly forum, but haven't been posting there for awhile, I do look at all the pictures though. Nice to have you join us. Are you getting lots of Zebras and Gulfs this year? I've never seen so many Zebras laying eggs like they are this year. The Gulfs are now starting also. It seems to be a good year for butterflies as I have monarch cats also.

Sandy good to know about GA vines, will go check them out.

Shauna good to see you posting, nice getting a new kitchen done over. Pretty blooms.

Q, didn't hear about a cool front, doubt it will make it all the way down here though. I walk in the AM and it is getting really hard to get up early enough to get out there, I'm soaked with sweat when I get home.
-Sherri

This message was edited Jun 14, 2013 7:22 AM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri, I have TONS of Gulf Frits right now. They're just everywhere. I've got quite a few Zebra Longwings; I'm raising their caterpillars right now, too. Lots of Monarch cats but not so many flying around just yet. I guess this generation is still in its caterpillar form.

Headed off to Lowe's and Home Depot now to get some plants for the front of the house. Last time I was at Lowe's they had some Coreopsis "Route 66" and I'm hoping to get more of it. I love native plants, but I also love when they hybridize them to be even prettier than the original.

Melanie

Good luck at Lowe's Mel, they've actually had some good plants this year over here at very good prices. The Home Depot by us, not so great, same old-same old.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I actually bought the last six of the Route 66 coreopsis they had at Lowe's so yea for me! We also went to Home Depot and I picked up some echinacea for the front of the house. We're redoing a section in the front that got kind of overrun by weeds and skunk vine. Here's a picture of my new plants along with the Giant Milkweed that's going to go with them.

Lowe's surprised me by having some interesting orchids - overpriced, but different than the usual phaelenopsis you see all the time. But Home Depot, yeah that was just the same ol', same ol'.

I cleaned out my orchid house today and sprayed everything down with Physan 20 to get rid of a fungus problem I'm having. That's one problem with these torrential rains - the orchids are getting a little wetter than I want them. I've been repotting some of them in these gravel-type rocks (it's acutally superheated shale that's pH neutral and won't react with the plants) that I bought at Worm's Way and that's helping.

I took my shower, now I'm going to kick back and relax with a cold beverage.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

The cold front/storm just came thru. 2" of rain in 30 min & temp dropped 20 deg. Was as dark as middle of the nite. Still raining but winds & deluge have subsided and now I can again see the neighbors houses.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Just got back from down south. Listened to Micheal Buble' all the way home and then more.
I was wondering if anyone over in Jaxsonville was going to see him when he was there?

Thought of Jean down there, the neighbors have a HUGE royal poincianna tree in full bloom, just gorgeous, great shape, and those oragne flowers...just yummy

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, you thought of me!!!! My DP is blooming up a storm. I'm anxious to get some going int he back yard - the part I see more!!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, all.

Yesterday, my friend Marc-André and I drove to Homestead for one of our nursery shopping sprees. Once in Homestead, we stopped for a milk shake at Robert Is Here, we tried to purchase alligator meat at the alligator farm, but there was none to be had. We stopped at the Gator Grill for an alligator combo plate (delicious), we went to RF Orchids, Florida Colors, found a great place to purchase large terracotta pots with a gorgeous cobalt blue glaze, shopped for rare palms, etc. By the time 5PM rolled around, the car was very full and we returned home. We had 3 more stops on our list, but the day is only so long and I don't drive a 55-foot semi trailer. Marc-André was busy planting today. It was too hot and sticky for me to do anything like that, as far as I was concerned. I watered the shade garden under the carport at 9AM this morning and sweat was dripping at the end of my nose. So, we took refuge in the house, watched 6 episodes of Games of Thrones and relaxed. I include a few pictures taken along our stops.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire Thumbnail by lourspolaire Thumbnail by lourspolaire Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Lucky you!!! Love them all. I sure wish I could get a daylily the color of that first one. YUM

WalMart has all the bulbs on clearance. Day lillies & Glads followed me home. The bulbs & roots look to be healthy so hopefully I'll get some blooms next year. Just need to well mark where I plant them.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad you are able to be back on your feet and galavant around.

Sylvain, what beautiful flowers, love that blue...good thing you didn't have a semi...sounds like a really fun day.

Jean, I'm learning to tag things more often, because I don't remember anything like I used to, sounds like some good deals.

I'm going to find me some plant nurseries down here and I bet something will follow me home too. :-)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Everyones pictures are so inspiring. I keep going out to try to do some things in the yard, it is just so hot I cant stay out very long. Even at 6:30 - 7:00, its miserable. Some rain would be so very welcome right about now.

Having fun with my new 'rescue' helper. She seems to be good for all my elderly helpers as well.
Last thing we needed was another pet, but she has really been a joy so far.

Thumbnail by gardenglory

Love those ears!!!!
We had over 1" of rain overnite. Didn't hear a thing.
I'm taking a break after spending 2+ hours out back pulling weeds. Filled 2 trash cans. Of course part of that was clearing an area where I wnat to put flowers.
Early Sat AM I need to mix up a batch of 2, 4D and spray the Chamberbitter field I have growing along the fence. There is too much to pull & I want it gone before it sets seeds. The Globe Sedge is not as bad this year.

Overcast this AM so not too bad out there.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, I was planting new plants and Dad was using the Mantis tiller to clean out the front but we've been chased inside by a thunderstorm. Little bit early in the day for it; maybe it was just so hot they formed early. Anyway, it coincided with lunch time so I guess that's all right. I managed to get my Spicebush, Joe Pye Weeds, Purple Firespike, and Mexican Flame Vine in the ground before it started raining. Now I guess I don't have to water them in. I love when nature takes over my chores!

Melanie

Weather is perfect here for playing in the dirt today. Overcast enough that it's still in the mid-80s. And the rain last nite seems to have taken care of the high humidity of the last couple days.

Just dug out a new bed (started with pulling weeds & then just morphed) and now need to get the Amaryllis & Amartathus planted in the back of the HUGE lantana.

And the butterflies are everywhere today. O need to get a book so I know what I dive bombing me!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im just back in from working on my daylilies. Its much more pleasant out now, than it was first thing this morning. Im really trying to learn to identify the butterflies as well.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

What a nice thing for your new 'rescue' helper to have a good new home GG. It sounds like you are doing good things besides gardening. Keep up the good works and be blessed,...you, friends, and Floppie ears!

She is a beauty,....Whats her name?
Dive bombing Butterflies Jean? Ha!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I understand what you mean Jean; I've gotten divebombed a few times myself. Or they just fly around like they own the place. The butterflies and bees seem to like the new plants, especially the coreopsis "Route 66". I'm so glad I bought out Lowe's stock of it. Dad did a good job of planting everything while I supervised (I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue so Dad does the hard work). I planted a few of the smaller plants in the shade and watered them in since our thunderstorm went north and we only got enough to wet the top of the soil. Here's a picture of the front of the house where we were working; I can't wait until the plants grow a bit and get settled in and bloom some more.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Morning everyone, been having computer problems, slow very slow typing speed

For those of you who want to ID butterflies here is the best book
Butterflies of Florida Field Guide (Our Nature Field Guides) by Jaret C. Daniels
Amazon carries it and sometimes you can find it in local places

And here is a website, just put in the state and county and it will show you the moths and butterflies or both for your area
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/checklists

Sandy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

O my, I had no earthly idea there was that many moths and butterflies that could be in my area. Im going to have to start paying as much attention to them as I do the birds.

I was happily working in the yard. Getting startings, bulbs, & tubors into pots. Was just thinking the grass may be dry enough to mow when the skies opened up & it POURED. The nearest shelter was my GH so in I went. Turned a large planter over so I had somewhere to sit. Waited out the deluge. And, 1/2" of rain later, the grass is again far to wet to get the mower thru!!!!! But everything I just potted up is well watered.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sandy, I agree that is the best field guide for butterflies; I've had to buy two copies since my first one got dunked into Cockroach Bay on an ill-advised canoeing trip with my mother. The woman just doesn't know how to keep her butt in the seat. I'm taking the day off from gardening and catching up on sleep instead. Tomorrow I go volunteer at MOSI so I'm sure I'll have pictures and stories to share. The guests never cease to amuse and amaze me with their questions and comments - especially the kids (who are far smarter than most people give them credit for).

Melanie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its so nice that you can donate time and are so benevolent, with your conditions Melanie.

Mom seems less interested in your interests then Dad and somewhat of a hardship the way you write about her. How unfortunate. Keep up the good works and unselfcentered attitude.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

David, thanks. Volunteering definitely helps me to still feel a purpose in life since I'm not working anymore. And Mom means well but she has her own problems, LOL! She helps me take care of my caterpillars and butterflies a lot. Dad helps with the plants. Luckily, I got to be lazy today as a thunderstorm rolled through and watered all my plants in. I can't wait to see them shoot up like weeds! My milkweed in particular needs to recover; I took all my Monarch caterpillars to the museum because I just didn't have enough food for them. I'm just glad I have somewhere to take them so they don't starve.

Melanie

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We have been drenched the past 3 days. Over 6 1/4 inches, and counting!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Jun 25, 2013 9:24 AM

This message was edited Jun 26, 2013 4:24 AM

David I am having problems with my laptop and it is some times hard to post and there are days it hurts to type, I think there are others out there that have the same problem

Melanie I have started some milkweed seeds and will so be starting more. I should have extras and will let you know.
Do you have a giant milkweed? I am thinking of trying to start cuttings from mine. One leave would feed a number of cats

sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sandy,
Those of us who know you well understand your physical problems. I know your always with us in spirit. I'm glad you can still keep up with your gardening as thats your passion.
My eye surgery has put me a while behind like on cleaning my ponds but it is healing and then will have other eye done and once they get in symc again I'll be so thankful. As I said it another thread is a very humbling experience. Hence forth I will certianly appreciate having good sight.
I hope you are getting good rains like we are. My yard looks ilke a jungle and I love it.
Fish seem very happy even tho ponds need cleaning. They don't care and no signs of ill effects.
Take care and happy gardening.
Bonnie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sandy, I have five Giant Milkweed although they're looking a little sparse right now. The leaves do feed the caterpillars for a little longer since they're thicker and chewier, I suppose. More fiber for the catepillars! I was happy to pick some up from my favorite local nursery and then some more at the USF Botanical Garden Butterfly Festival last month. I've never tried to grow them from cuttings but was thinking of doing so once they've recovered a little.

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.