Florida Chit-Chat #10 - Summertime

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have to have a test with one of them to see if it will help

Sandy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine seems to be working fine. I just hope that these broad edges on the page doesn't mean that we're going to start seeing advertising! I'm not paying membership to see ads!
I never "log out"…I'm the only computer user here at home.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2013 7:17 PM

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sandy, that test is horrible. You go to a hospital setting, most with video cameras in the room, they put wires on your head, chest, legs and bands across your chest. Then they tell you they will watch you all night now go to sleep! Yep, been there.
First place I went to had some smart a... shut off the machine on me in the middle of the night, I woke up feeling confined and gasping. I have severe apnea and probably wouldn't be alive without a cpap. Took months to get used to but I can't live without it.

Be sure you get the costs disclosed to you, it can be expensive.

Darren

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have had the test for apnea so I know about the room and wires-thankfully they have rooms that are like a regular bed room but the problem is it is right next to a busy railroad line.
I have been on oxygen at night for a year so I am use to that. Just hoping that the new machine is quieter

Sandy

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning my gardening friends still down here on vacation in Sanibel but heading home in the next couple days, I miss my own garden and have found lots of fun things to add to it, shells, driftwood, rocks. I have problems getting on the Internet here and can't get this site to work on my Chrome, but seems to work on Firefox...I'll have to catch up on everything when I get home, just keep getting knocked off here at the campground, and looks like the site has undergone some changes.
I found a native plant nursery on the Island and bought a few plants, going back today by myself because I had the husband with me the first time and he wasn't enjoying plant shopping in the heat of the day.
Anyway miss chatting with you all, Sherri

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, all.

I tried logging on Dave's Garden with my tablet yesterday. What a glorified mess; doesn't seem tablet-friendly one little bit. Takes forever to load, doesn't load properly and all that space is not just there for aesthetics... I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see advertising in there PDQ.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Sherri-- we are heading to Captiva next week--where is the native plant nursery? Please and Thank you! Whilst DH plays golf I can plant hunt!

The nursery is on the Sanibel-Captiva stretch of road: http://www.sccf.org/content/74/native-plant-nursery.aspx
They have a plant list with the prices on there site.
Prices are awesome for the quality.

They are only open weekdays in the summer months...enjoy your trip.

Thank you very much!
Just came inside after the morning field trip-an orchid sale of an AOS judge who passed away--I got some ""rescue orchids"" that are still soaking in water as they were SO dry--all in good shape though. Then I detoured to a demo sale here on the oisland and came home with so poor hibiscus, ornamental fig and a pony tail palm that 1. the pot broke and 2. they broke off two of the branches! I had a HUGE pot in the outside garage so put the ponytail in that --of course it's sticking up a bit as the base was even HUGER!
So I shoved the broken branches into the water the orchids are soaking in as I have given out from the heat.
Asking for some help here :):):) Do you think the branches can be salvaged for another plant or should I just ditch them?
Off to the pool before the afternoon rain!
Debi

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Orchid sale! Woo hoo! I went to Byrd's Orchids going out of business sale earlier this month and blew my orchid budget. And my orchid society is having their yearly auction next month so I'm in trouble, LOL!

Debi, don't know about those broken branches, but it's always worth a try, right?

No afternoon rain for us - it's been all day rain! Keeps me from having to water the new plants but I'm also trying to fight a fungus in my orchid house so I'm a little ambivalent about it. I'll just keep spraying fungicide and think positive!

Melanie

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, where is the auction next month?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Duh! The auction is on Thursday the 18th of July at:

Christ The King - McLoughlin Center - Conference Room C
821 South Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa, FL 33609-4410

Everyone is welcome to attend the auction - you don't have to be a member of the society. The auction begins at 6:00 pm. My paddle hand is already itching!

Melanie

Loved the native plant nursery on Captiva!! Brought home several for my neighbor who takes care of the yard. Had the yard man pull some bromeliads out of a pot as I wanted them moved. Guess what else came out--SNAKE!!!!!! Thank goodness those fellas put up with me!
Hacked away at the blue green jade vine, Hawaiian Sunset vine, bougie over garage door and Rangoon creeper. Now it looks as though it wants to rain again. everything is growing like mad
I am trying to copy some pix to this file --more later

There they are! The yellow hibiscus is from the markdown rack at Lowes. $1.00

Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes

Some more from the overgrown yard!! The Rangoon creeper is way up the tree--that's the third trellis!
The Ponderosa Lemon is very enthused this year

Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful blooms Debijaynes! I think I have the same pink hibiscus. What kind of heloconia is that in the third picture? I would love to get some of that for my yard.

Thumbnail by shauna1219

All the heliconias came from Jesse Durko in Davie. I am very bad about names but think it is Black Stem Lobster claw.
Debi

Debijaynes, glad you got to the Sanibel/Captiva native nursery, was a pretty good stocked nursery. Hope you enjoyed you visit there, such beautiful landscaping.

All the hibiscus are beautiful, love the ruffled flowers. I haven't seen my Miami pink one bloom yet, the growth looks great, but still no flowers. It frosted back pretty bad two winters in a row, but this past winter it didn't and I had hoped it would flower. What do you all do to get such pretty blossoms?

-Sherri

I have been fertilizing and watering --probably excessively. I use Miracle Gro and the plants are in full sun. This is the first time in my life that I have actually gotten a hybrid hibiscus to grow! I think the full sun is the key--before I had them in some shade--but mostly sun. The no shade I think has made a difference
Of course, this year every day feels as though we are in a greenhouse with the misters turned on!!!

Well, maybe that is my problem, they get full sun for about five to six hours, but I do have lots of trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.