My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

BTW, The glass pieces aren't sharp, there is a polyurethane coating on the glass and beads, you can rub your hand across the pieces and not get cut, I had to make sure it was safe for the birds who use it. The poly won't harm them either, now, I have to watch and see if they're using it. They get into the dogs swimming pool to take there bath's, so now they have their own! If I see them using it, I will surely grab the camera to get picture's!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

For worm castings - make sure you get "unprocessed". The processing kills most of the nutrients you want from them. There is a lady over near Apopka that raises worms. And a couple folks up in JAX also. You get the best castings & teas from a "worm farm".

I always fertilize the holes when I plant and don't put the mulch close to the stems so when I want to fertilize again, I'm getting right to the roots. Occasionally I do get the fertilizer that goes on the hose & then I do spray down the mulch. I got the tomato bed fertilized and put pine straw down this AM. Now it can go ahead & rain all it wants the next few days. In btwn rain drops I'll attempt to get the zucchini & peppers planted. Left a bucket high hill where the zucchini will go.

Ace is a good place to get "native" plants. They have a much better selection than the Big Box stores. I know there is one on Rt 1 is S St Augustine. Also Maggie's Herb Farm has lovely plants.

Then there is the Garden Club of St Augustine Plant sale at The St. Johns County Agricultural Center on 20-21 Apr. It is right off of 95 near the St Augustine Outlets. I've heard they have excellent plants.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You really do have a talent in designing those mosaics Jami,....and the patterns in the bowl look really well designed and clearly create the effect of a water garden in a bowl!

( smiling) Thanks David, For the compliment on my bird bath! As the creator, I always feel it could be better, when I look at other's work, I get so envious, but I gues we all have a special way of doing mosaics, and if we were all to design the same kind of pattern, we wouldn't be "special" in what we do. I am the worst critic of my own work. I love doing it, but when finished, I think I should of , could of, but it's to late! So your comment made me light up with a smile! Thank You!

Qwil, I'll have to look into these places, it is worm poop, correct? How do I implement the casings into the beds once I get them? Do I do the same thing as when adding compost, dump it around the perimeter and dig it into the soil?

I knew I'd need help once I got this garden started, so much to learn, how to apply what I'm learning, etc, etc! lol! Wow, I have my duty cut out for me the next couple of weeks. Today, I fed all my plants in front of the house, not much to be fed in front, but needed some TLC. I worked on our Easter dinner, once things were rolling along DH took over, that left me a chance to get out doors to do what I love to do, so the front was the priority today. Finished up in about 2 hours, took a shower and had a great Easter dinner with friends, and DH. It was a beautiful day! I managed to get a few picture's while finishing up, and also, found some new growth on my Bromalaids(sp), lol, so funny I can't spell some of this stuff, hopefully , that's what the plant is!

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad

I forgot to end my post !
I hope everyone had a beautiful day with family and friends on this special day, Easter! Jami

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Jami,
Had great Easter my son cooked so we went to his house.

Regarding watering=I have irrigation system but also water by hand frequently. I NEVER water when sun it out hot as leaves burn and turn brown or curl up. I'm in Lake County and we aren't supposed to water after 10AM or until after 4PM.

My flower beds are all mulched and it takes me quite a while but I pull mulch away from stems and use slow release fertilizer. When planting I always put a handful of cow manure in hole and water, then plant,
more water and then cover in with dirt from hole.

Hopefully we will get some spring rains this year as they really help.

Your gardens look like they are coming along very well. Love your gazing balls also. I have tried to get some old bowling balls as I would like to paint 2 lady bugs but no luck at getting any yet. Was given a set of very heavy iron bench legs and the design on them is beautiful but I will paint them one color. I'm not artistic. I'll buy lumber and it will make a good sturdy garden bench. Also, I have a bicycle planter that needs painting. I never seem to get cause up on the cutsy projects. Takes a lot of time just to keep the plants and fish healthy.
Look forward to seeing on the 13th.

Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You have a lot of nice space to have fun and work with Jami. Looking good!

A big happy hello to all ! Bonnie, I have my projects all going at the same time as the gardens, but the gardens always win out, they come first right now. I got my bowling balls off craigs list, I put in the add what I was going to use them for, after I had people trying to sell me the balls and the carry bag, they thought I wanted to bowl, so I re-worded my add, and said I was using them in an art project, and would pay $5.00 for any I could find. I had people coming out of the wood work with balls. I bought 5, took the add off, and still have 1 more to finish. If your doing lady bugs, try a few stepping stones. They would be pretty amazing looking in the garden.
Thanks for the info on gardening techniques, every little bit helps. I did move the mulch away from all stems, and trunks of my plants. I bought the spray bottle to be used with a hose (miracle grow) and will give everything a good feeding this week sometime. I also had to buy more compost, as my pile has went down considerably and needs to be started again.

David, Thanks, The front yard is almost as big as the back yard. I think I'll wait till next spring to start in on that. I still don't know what I'm going to do, I'd like to put in a raised flower garden, using qoquina rock as the border. Centered of course. We did this years ago to another home we had, I think I have picture's, I'll have to look, but we had a home equity line of credit, and were able to buy some big palms to put in it, in addition to flowers. We're not living on credit anymore, so... what to do, what to do...LOL! I'm sure to figure it out.

Now for some updates on my garden: I bought some new flowers to go in the back, not vegetables. My DH is freaking out, lol. I went shopping, and came home with plants, not clothing. I bought lobelia, verbena, carolina jasmine, another purple bougainvillea, and a coral honey suckle. I went to a nursery looking for tansey and the plant David has, amaranth. I was told they didn't have them in yet, the tansey they really didn't stock, and the amaranth isn't ready yet to be sold yet, what ever that means. I'm going to hopefully put my bowling balls there for sale, once I take a few over to show the owner what I have. Fingers crossed! I may decide to sale the birdbath also. I can always make more, but the extra cash would be lovely too.
Next: I had company last night. Didn't see him or her, but we know it was a bear!!! I knew we had 2 in the area from the neighbors, but didn't expect them to climb over the fence to get into the garden. It did !! Squished the fence in 2 places, 1 where it went in, and than again where it went out! No Damage Done to the garden it's self, phew..... DH woke me up to tell me before I actually saw it, and had it fixed before I could grab the camera. I was surprised it didn't walk in the raised beds, yeah, that's the garden it got into, It did get a few seedling of corn, but I think they'll be ok once I tap the soil around them back down. Other than that, nothing. I already looked on the internet to find something to keep them out and came up with an invention called a scarecrow motion detection sprayer. You hook up a hose to it, turn on the water, and when something walks across the eye of it, it releases a giant spray of water. Amazon has them for $51.00 and change, plus free shipping. They have 30 + videos of this thing in action, sent by people who bought them. So much fun watching this thing in action. Almost peed my panties, laughing so hard. I'm going to order 1, and than another, as long as the first performs as they say it does. A few blast from the scarecrow, the bears will think twice before trying to climb the fence. Great for deer to! It doesn't look like a scarecrow, just a normal extra big sprinkler head. It gets it's name because it guards the garden. Look it up, if for only the laughs!

1st picture is of a stepping stone I did, I made a few in the day, but sold most of them. The 2nd and 3rd picture's of our home we owned years ago. We did the front yard ourselves, I wish we could do it again here, but money is a little different now, so I need to come up with another plan.

Well, gotta run, time to get groceries in the house. I hope you all have a great day! Happy Gardening, Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad

BTW, the house was also undergoing some changes, as you can see in the 3rd picture. We were redoing the facade on the front. And I don't have the picture's of the finished touches after we completed it. I don't know why, weird as I have a lot of past pictures, oh well, it's long gone,!

Have a great day! Jami

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Jami,

I am so envious of all those great Coquina Rocks at your last house and the place looked great!

Coquina is my favorite rock of all times and dream of the day I will find a Craigslist free ad saying, "Coquina Rock Free,......come get all ya' want. HaHaHa! As if!

Hi All, Hope your enjoying the rain, I know I am!
David, Thanks for the compliment, I also wish I could find free Qoquina Rocks. When we got the one's in the picture, my DH was working with a custom home builder, who also was a very good friend. He had all these extra's left over from a landscaping job he had done, and invited my DH to help himself to them. All we had to do was hire someone to pick up and deliver them. The day they arrived was funny. The truck pulled up, (I had no idea they were coming) and just dumped them in the front yard. All my neighbors stopped by afterwards and started asking what we were doing with all the rock. At the time I was clueless, my DH wasn't home to answer their questions let alone my own. When he finally came home, even he said he didn't know, he just took them because they were offered. I couldn't imagine moving them, they were all huge, very heavy! When he finally got the idea, I was still skeptical, but as he progressed along with his plan, things started coming together. When he first put the trees in, everything still looked funny, as the middle of the pile wasn't filled in yet, but in time he had a truck load of garden soil brought in, filled in the middle, and started planting flowers. The summer of that year, we had more people stopping and taking picture's of our flower garden. It was a very proud summer. It's to bad we never got around to finishing the house, outside and in, another story, but it was looking like a key west style home and landscape. It was beautiful! The neighbors all had the cookie cutter home's, done in traditional paint colors, we on the other hand added the prefab columns, all the fancy window trims, the coins ( I think that's what they're called), everything my DH learned from working with his friend was incorporated to our home. The colors we painted it were a Lime green on all the added stuff, the facade of the house was a cheery yellow ! My next door neighbor even asked me 1 day if that was the primer coat, lol, I said "no, this is the actual color we chose", I thought her mouth was going to catch a few fly's, she had it hanging open so wide! We were in love with the look, but all things came to an end, the home sits empty at this time, it has since we moved from it. It is a long story, but we still own it, waiting for the bank to foreclose on it, Sad, but true. One day when I'm in the area looking for yard sales, I'll stop by and get some picture's, but I know it's a little weeded in the bed, but someone is cutting the lawn in front, the back is over grown with weeds and grass. I had a really nice garden in the back also with a pool, and a pond.
We have a new life now, so no going back to what should have been. I'm thankful for the rain were having, I can't believe how green everything is getting with just a day's worth of rain. I went out to the garden last night, and swear the corn has grown 2" since 2 days ago. It looks to be about 4"- 5" high, I just hope the bear stays out of the yard. I did order the scarecrow, a motion detecter that shoots water when something crosses it path, I'll post picture's when I get it, if it works as it shows, I'll be ordering another, this way I'll have 1 on each end of the garden. A rude way to keep animals of height out of where you don't want them. Like bears and deer ! I can picture the scene in my head, just mozzing along, sniffing for something to eat when Bam.. you get hit with a strong spray of water, chasing you back into the woods! I need to set up a spy cam to catch it on tape if it should happen. I'll have to look into it, but think it would be a little expensive. Not sure how all this high tech surveillance works, or how much it cost.
Everyone have a great and beautiful Day, no need to water the garden, so sit back , relax, and watch it grow! Jami

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Lovely pictures you are doing a good job.
2 words of warning.

1st be careful when you prune the confederate jasmine I find the sticky sap irritates my skin. Also do not plant next to your house the vines will stick to walls and mess up house paint
2nd be careful not to over admen your soil-my dad did that. Some times less is more.

My raised beds are taking off, doing very well for it being my first time. Wren, I have to ask, over amending the soil, I am so scared that's it's under amended, but I did buy a kit with capsule's that tells me the ph of the soil, and all the other things, potash, etc. I think I'm done, everything is running around 6-7.5 for the PH, I also got a water meter, I have a tendency to over water. Last year, all my plants were in pots, and I ended up with blossom rot, I think it's called, my squash and cucumbers would have mushy ends where it grew from the flower. So now, every time I think I need to water, I measure the water in the soil first, I'm surprised at how it looks dry, but is very wet yet from the rains we had a few days ago. I hope not to make those mistakes this year.
I put the jasmine out along the shed, ,DH is going to put up some lattice and wants it to climb the shed, we have honey suckle also, that went in between the GH and the raised bed garden, here again DH will put up lattice to get it started up over the green house. We also moved some banana trees from the woods into the yard, with some elephant ears. My DH has an eye for this kinda thing, flowers etc. so I let him have at it, mine is the vegetable gardens, him decorating the yard.
We also got our scarecrow, what a hoot, I dare the bear to come back and climb into the garden. He'll get a scare when a blast of water hits him, I think just the noise from it will spook him, we played with it, and made sure it covers all areas where he may try to enter the garden again. For the $51.00 we payed for it, it was well worth it, works wonderful, my dogs even stay away from walking in front of it. A few time's and they learned, it keeps them out of the woods for one, now hope it keeps the bear in the woods!
Here is a picture of the scarecrow, and of it being set off by my DH, he's behind the garden, and this thing will sense him and shoot a big strong spray of water, We hope it'll keep the deer and the bear from the garden.

These are 3 different trailing plants I just put in, and above I said the jasmine was along the shed, Nope, I was wrong, I just went out and looked and here in the picture's show what is where, sorry about that, the Star Jasmine is on the fence, in the 3rd picture, the 4th is at the GH, this is a coral honey suckle, we will grow it up the side of the GH once a piece of lattice is attached, and the 5th picture is beside the shed, this is a scarlet trumpet honey suckle. My neighbor has one and I fell in love with it. Here again, I think DH is putting a piece of Lattice for the jasmine to climb. I also have seedlings that I directly sowed into the ground coming up, purple morning glory's, that will cover all my fence's. I hope the picture's towards the end of summer will show a big change to what is here now! I have a few more picture's to show in the next reply!

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad

Somehow the picture's got mixed up, in the last post, but you can figure it out. Here are some of my raised bed plants making a beautiful statement; I have squash flowering already, peas and sugar peas, bush beans, and white sweet corn.
How are your gardens doing?

Have a happy kinda smiley day, Happy Gardening! Jami

I've been picking cherry tomatoes. They are so sweet. The zucchini are ready to blossom.
Had to pull up my Romaine lettuce. it got infested with a zillion ants. YUK!!! All the leaf lettuce seems fine.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Everythings looking good and moving right along Jami! The Scarecrow is interesting and hope it works for you.

Things are moving along well here but miss the rains...

Sounds like things are moving along well for you too Q,...except for those darn Ants!

A strange young girl has been showing up and I can barely get a plant in the ground without her wanting to roll all over it and around me.............

......................................................................She's and adorable young red Tabby and I really don't need any more cats! Ha!

Nice to have a friend so share the gardening with!!!!! Find a secluded spot & plant some catnip for her.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll just plant it right out front!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hope the gardens are growing well Jami!

I'm going to start with my milk and baking soda spray and a little Spinosad for fungus on the Cucumbers, melons, and squash plants. The Spinosad is veggie and people friendly and gets rid of the leafminer which seems to be making its presence early this year. It also gets rid of the various beetles and caterpillars that can turn stems and fruits to mush!

Happy Gardening!

David

Speaking of vermin............................ the squirrels ate the blossoms off my zucchini!!!!! I can see their teeth marks on the stems. I think it's time to get a b-b gun.

Jacksonville, FL

Jean

Wanna borrow Scooter? He's one mean squirrel go getter.

Charlie

Charlie - I tried that the other day & your DW would not let me take him!!!!! Thought he could train Shaleigh!!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Jami your garden is really looking so good. Really coming along nicely.
-Sherri

Hello everyone, Sorry I took a leave of absence from my thread, The heat has been stressful, What happened to spring is in the air? I've been slowly trying to finish the gardens, as of now, all I need to do is add some spring onions to a few long planters, and finish up getting my egg plant extras, and brussell sprouts into pots, as I ran out of room in the raised beds, and the corn garden. Everything is coming along nice, I'm picking some lettuce, radish, sugar peas, and peas, also 1 nice yellow summer squash so far. I'm just jumping for joy, tickled pink as they say. I can finally slow down, ordered a intex pool, should be here by the 25th, a 12 x 30 above ground pool. Enough to cool off while floating around on my raft with my e-reader in hand. I had one before, loved it, and it's big enough to jump in and cool off from the heat of summer with out paying out lots of money. My yard is almost done in the back, I planted seed for extra flowers, and things are going good there too. I hung some pots in front of the house today, as it started to pour rain, YEAH!!!! Everything has been transplanted, mulched, and fertilized! I missed Bonnie's RU, So sad, as I hear they had a wonderful time! I'm jealous that everyone had plants to go home with, and someone put a bug in my ear about having a RU here in Flagler Beach, This could happen!!!!!! I just didn't have the time to escape to go to Bonnie's as I know me, and I needed to finish up here, one day make's a big difference when your friends can't always come to help you do what you need done. I started out small, enough for me to do, but kept going with my vision, and with friends helping it's easy, but when they can't come, it's all on me and my dear DH, and he isn't into gardening even though he like's to eat fresh. We had the best salad the other night, Fresh lettuce, Sugar peas and peas, raw,, some radish, basil, chives, and a store bought vine ripe tomato, as mine aren't ready yet. He said it was the best salad he ate in a long time. lol!!! BTW, We used Italian dressing! LOL

My prayers go out to those in Boston, ( sorry about the interruption in my thread, they just got the 2nd person involved) I hate what our world is coming too! So very sad!

Anyway, back to us and my thread, I've been lucky in the gardens, And a special mention on the scare crow. It's working. The Bear hasn't been back, and I think it's keeping the armadillo out of my yard too! He was digging so many hole's with his long snout, either the scare crow, or the ammonia I put around the yard is keeping him at bay. Some deer have been passing through too, I see the poop, and between both gardens, no damage. I keep my fingers crossed!!!! I also have strips of material hanging around, and spray this nasty smelling perfume on the strips. Don't know which is keeping the wild life at bay, but something is!!!

Today was the last day for all the heavy gardening, now it's all about upkeep, weed whacking, feeding, and watching things grow! It's a great feeling! I can't wait to see how my garden grows! Let the rains come, supposed to happen this week end. Now I get to concentrate on y mosaics!

I'd love to hear how others are making out with their raised beds, I'll keep posting my picture's as the garden continues to grow! As I said this is my first year with raised beds, I did a lot of research on ask.com for quick remedy's, you can"t always wait for feed back when you need to know something now. I also appreciate all the feedback I've received from you all following my thread! Your a God Send! Thanks, for all the help and guidance! Stay tuned, lol, I may need more help if something should go wrong. Thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!

1st tomato's almost ready
2nd my squash
3rd sugar peas
4th sugar peas and peas
5th sweet corn

and here are a few more photo's !!!

Flowers too! The 2 flowering I bought, and one I rescued from Lowes, I just love their give always ( not free, but cheap) Jami

My garden is not raised nut the soil was amended before I planted. I picked 3 doz cherry tomatoes yesterday. had a ripe tomato but I hadn't realized it was sitting on the ground & the bottom had rotted. Darn drat!!!!!

My lettuce has been producing sinece late jan so it getting tot he end. 1 romaine is going to seed. Will soon be ready to start some new plants.
Have lots of zucchini blossoms so am hoping for the best. I put them on very high hills so hopefully the roots will stay dry enough. I have 2 plants in the sunny side of the yard & 2 in mostly shade. Curious to see which produce best.

Lots of blossoms on the pepper plants also. I went small for my 1st year so I can see how everything does.

My DH is from Watertown so all day was getting interesting updates from relatives still living there. We knew about the guy in the boat before the news was reporting it. I say, revoke his US citizenship & ship him to GITMO.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Tried to remember all I read Jami. Never have grown brussell sprouts during the summer only winter. Let me know how they do. Your gardens look fantastic. Hope you saw the pics Sherri & Mittsy put on RU forum. Cloudy and a little breezy here we are hoping for rain. All our lakes are 3 to 4 foot low. That ain't good. Our canal went dry once (18 feet deep) and that provides my irrigation system so I'm sure praying for rain and plenty of it.

Q. Just revoking US citizenship is too kind. I can think of a better punishment but its also illegal.

Jami, I'll try to get a couple of bowling balls from Craigs list. Never thought of that. Good idea.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Jami, Forgot to add: that confederate jasmine will be all over your fence in a couple of years mine was huge and after 5 yrs. finally trimed it back (too far) but it is coming back now. When I had the chain link fence put in I told the company to beef it up cause I knew I would vine it. Some in the upper yard is blooming now and I love the smell. I have 2 night blooming jasmine shrubs and their smell will knock your socks off. Some people get headachs from it but not me. I open my bedrm. window when its blooming so I can smell it.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Jami it all looks so wonderful. A pool will be real nice, I wish I had room for one, but I do have an outside shower thanks to our good friend that is a plumber, I use it often in the summer...on ICE cold.

I sure would love all that room for a veggie garden. I have one nice jalapeno plant that is doing very well, and some cherry tomatoes, had two tomatillos but one died on me. I have one tomato plant that I thought I lost in the freezing temps, but it is now popping out blossoms and several tomatoes, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing you garden and have fun in that pool. We'll be pretty close to you next week camping and kayaking...looks like a nice week for it. We'll go to the Flager market on Friday morning and load up on some produce before heading back home.
-Sherri

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My first attempt at growing veggies. It contains tomatoes, a jalapeņo pepper plant, carrots, green beans and green peas. We added a few marigolds to help fight off bugs.

Also decided to give corn a try and have a row of about a dozen corn plants.

Pictures are:
Whole garden
Close up of tomato
Close up of jalapeņo
Corn plants

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its good to see things are going well your way Jami. Loved the pictures and am envious of that new pool! {:-)

Keep up the veggies Shauna, and looking good!

David

wow Shauna, your peppers are further along than mine, nice looking garden, and yes, i also have marigolds in my gardens, as I read about them for the first time this year about keeping bugs out of the garden. I have all kinds of peppers in, but they are getting a slow start because it was so cold, they wouldn't grow for me, even being in the GH till it got warm out.

Q, sorry about the lost tomato, pray there will be many more for you to take it's place! My pepper plants that I bought at Lowes are starting to bud, but the one's I started from seed are very slow to take off. As far as everything else things seem to be ok, for now!

Bonnie, I can't wait for the jasmine to take off, I have led them to a few lines of twine I placed to train them to go where I want them. The one against the fence is already grabbing ahold and starting the climb. The one against the shed started to climb to. LOL, I took a cheap fence I bought from Lowes, and hung it from the roof of the shed, so that the jasmine there had something to climb, I had no use for it in the yard, so instead of a trellis, I hung the fence, have to be creative when your trying to save a few dollars. If I bought all the trellis I need for the gardens, and what not, I'd be broke. I have recycled bamboo, tree limbs, molding, and did break down and buy some more bamboo stakes from wally world, I had tomato cages left over from last year, so all is good.

I'm a little concerned for my squash plants, I noticed yesterday, while weeding, that a baby squash had end rot (?), so I know I've watered too much again, now it's raining, yeah, but I'm praying that no severe damage is done. I have plenty of plants in, I even bought a meter to measure the water in the soil, I just have to get it in my head to not water even if the top layer is dry. The roots are very wet. So hard to understand when to water. Duh!!!

My bone's are stiff today, cold, damp, and miserable. I shut down in weather like this, had plans to clean the house, and than enjoy just looking at the gardens, not working in them, and I haven't moved from the couch. DH asked me what was for dinner, I laughed and said left overs, he's OK with that, me, I'm feeling guilty, but just now, came to the computer and am starting to move a little bit. My fingers and knuckles are so swollen and sore from the dampness, my neck feels like someone hit me up against the back with a baseball bat, just terrible because of this weather. I hope everyonne else is enjoying it, if your having the same that is!

The pool I'm getting is only 12 x 30" deep, lol, an adult wading pool! I wanted a 15' but my yard isn't big enough now since we put in the shed, green house, and the 2 gardens. Plus, if that darn bear decides to go for a swim, I'm going to be really mad!!! I had one of those intex blue ring pools a few years ago, but decided to go with the new pool intex put out, with a liner, and walls. I'll post picture's after it's here and set up. David, I'm sure you have room for one! Incorporate it into the landscaping like I plan to do. lol. Really, I'm going to plant around it, maybe get another scarecrow to keep the bear at bay. And I say it's working, The scarecrow, nothing has been in my yard as far as I can tell, a few deer droppings is all I've seen.

BTW, sunkissed, where are you camping over here? I haven't been to the market in a while, I should go, I haven't been up to the beach, or by the market since, gosh, I don't know when! Living here has become a habit, I guess, we don't take advantage of all the great things around us. The beach is beautiful, our market is one of the best, but yet, I stick close to home. Go figure! When I first moved to Florida, you couldn't keep me off the beach! lol!! Anyway, I hope you have a good time!!!

Happy Blessed Day to all ! Jami

The garden at the Ag Ctr has rhubarb growing btwn the hollyhocks & poppies. It is large enuf to harvest. Anyone here had luck with rhubarb? I'd love to get some going this fall.

Jacksonville, FL

Thanks a lot Jean! Yolie just informed me that she was ordering rhubarb plants and oriental poppies cause "Jean said they would too grow here." Like there aren't enough plants around here already, huh? She just got a yard full of new babies in last week and I know she showed you that herd of ROS she bought already. I make 10 beds and she wants 10 more. You two are definitely work makers AND trouble making enablers.

I told her I'd come up & dig for her. Just need 24 hrs notice!!!!

Good, maybe she will share the rhubarb with me!!!! I'll bake you a pie!!!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I never see any pictures Plant Thang! It would be great to see what you tell us about.currently...

One picture says a thousand words!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Actually Plant Thang,......I can't pull up any threads or pictures when I click on your handle? Maybe its under another DG name?

Jacksonville, FL

I haven't taken any pictures for a couple of years David. My woman keeps me too busy digging up new beds and mixing up potting soil. Qwilter eggs her on. I started down our back walkway and got slapped in the face by something green, turned to check and it was another of the twisted up willow sapling's slender little branches; courtesy of Jean. Yolie wanted curly willows and Jean brought them from Maryland by plane to her and they're now in pots, lining my walk just waiting to attack me. If Jean wants, Yolie tries to get for her. I have to go to work just to get away from work. I'll post a few shots from two years ago but they won't show this year's out back jungle. One neighbor swears Yolie lives in a rain forest so she brings a search party, carries a big gun and has to use a machete when she want's to visit my wife. It's really not that bad yet, but getting there. Ask Jean to tell you about the red seeds in the peanutty looking pods she brought here from Texas and the chocolate daisies that sent my wife on a seed hunting frenzy!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Ha! Well it sounds like things are interesting up there! Sue would fit right in!

Jacksonville, FL

David,

1st one is living fence of azaleas DW will kill over, 2nd is one of six front bed, 3rd is her fountain that I've had to move to another area, 4th shows is a longer view of the front door. I can dig out some shots of the other beds if you want; eight 8x4 veggie beds, one 16x4 veggie bed and borders around everything with potted plants galore.

Thumbnail by Plant_Thang Thumbnail by Plant_Thang Thumbnail by Plant_Thang Thumbnail by Plant_Thang

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.