Florida Gardening: My first raised bed garden for vegtables, 1 by jamibad

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamibad

In reply to: My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My first raised bed garden for vegtables
jamibad wrote:
My raised beds are taking off, doing very well for it being my first time. Wren, I have to ask, over amending the soil, I am so scared that's it's under amended, but I did buy a kit with capsule's that tells me the ph of the soil, and all the other things, potash, etc. I think I'm done, everything is running around 6-7.5 for the PH, I also got a water meter, I have a tendency to over water. Last year, all my plants were in pots, and I ended up with blossom rot, I think it's called, my squash and cucumbers would have mushy ends where it grew from the flower. So now, every time I think I need to water, I measure the water in the soil first, I'm surprised at how it looks dry, but is very wet yet from the rains we had a few days ago. I hope not to make those mistakes this year.
I put the jasmine out along the shed, ,DH is going to put up some lattice and wants it to climb the shed, we have honey suckle also, that went in between the GH and the raised bed garden, here again DH will put up lattice to get it started up over the green house. We also moved some banana trees from the woods into the yard, with some elephant ears. My DH has an eye for this kinda thing, flowers etc. so I let him have at it, mine is the vegetable gardens, him decorating the yard.
We also got our scarecrow, what a hoot, I dare the bear to come back and climb into the garden. He'll get a scare when a blast of water hits him, I think just the noise from it will spook him, we played with it, and made sure it covers all areas where he may try to enter the garden again. For the $51.00 we payed for it, it was well worth it, works wonderful, my dogs even stay away from walking in front of it. A few time's and they learned, it keeps them out of the woods for one, now hope it keeps the bear in the woods!
Here is a picture of the scarecrow, and of it being set off by my DH, he's behind the garden, and this thing will sense him and shoot a big strong spray of water, We hope it'll keep the deer and the bear from the garden.

These are 3 different trailing plants I just put in, and above I said the jasmine was along the shed, Nope, I was wrong, I just went out and looked and here in the picture's show what is where, sorry about that, the Star Jasmine is on the fence, in the 3rd picture, the 4th is at the GH, this is a coral honey suckle, we will grow it up the side of the GH once a piece of lattice is attached, and the 5th picture is beside the shed, this is a scarlet trumpet honey suckle. My neighbor has one and I fell in love with it. Here again, I think DH is putting a piece of Lattice for the jasmine to climb. I also have seedlings that I directly sowed into the ground coming up, purple morning glory's, that will cover all my fence's. I hope the picture's towards the end of summer will show a big change to what is here now! I have a few more picture's to show in the next reply!