March in like lamb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Am praying for an ever so slooooooooooooooow melt here:

Regina poised to break 57-year snowfall record
A gentle dusting of snow began falling on Regina Thursday afternoon, perhaps enough to establish a new record for a winter season in the city.

People in the city were keeping close watch on the skies when it was learned that Regina was just 2.5 centimetres away from setting a new record.

Prior to Thursday, the record snowfall — set in the winter of 1955-1956 — was 165.7 centimetres, as noted by sensors maintained by Environment Canada.

Snow began falling Thursday afternoon, but it was a light snowfall and was off and on.

Officials with Environment Canada said they would have to check their recording devices, at the end of the day, to determine if they could declare the record officially broken.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2013/03/07/sk-snowfall-regina-130307.html#socialcomments

Now off to find which snowbank our boat is hiding under.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 1.22 inches of rain overnight. I was hoping it would rain some more today so I could listen to it, but it rarely rains here during the day.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 6:51 AM PST on March 08, 2013
42 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 40 °F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 39 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.83 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 3.00 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

NEAR 50 degrees for today , sunny bright day , with clear delightful skies , no rain , no snow , Ah Beautiful!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Same here! Clouds did roll in this afternoon and we have rain on the way for the weekend.

Mountain View, HI

Mostly blue sky for two or three days. Strong southerly breezes picking up ahead of a cold front that will bring us showers over the next two or three days. Nights have been chilly in the upper 50's. Hot and humid during the day.
Next week wind will turn northerly then back to NE Trades. Should be pleasant Hawaiian weather for the next week or so. Finally can get out in the garden repot Cannas ready for summer blooming. Already repotted Fuschias.
Enjoying the snow pics.

Most of our snow is gone here. Today we reached high 50s for temps but have been dealing with rain all day. The hard rains hit about 4:30pm and it just dumps. I think Mother Nature is determined to give us all of the seasonal rain in one day.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Am bordering on a headache from trying to track down the last few plants that I want (I found them :o)

Since storm season has started South of the International border here's a good facebook site to be connected to :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Storm-Watch-2013/490731400985284

Up here in the tundra it is currently

Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 22:25 CST
Clear

0°F

Clear

Feels Like : -13
Wind : W 6 m/h

Humidity : 82%
Pressure : 1029 mb
Visibility : 9 miles

Sunrise : 7:28
Sunset : 18:57
Ceiling : unlimited

I tend to post all the info since the fellows in Texas at a weather site I belong to like to follow my weather postings (what happens here affects down there in the winter).

Later this week we are heading up to the high 20's and on one day we are forecasted to hit the high 30's (F).

(Zone 7a)

Lilypon, Which plants did you find?

35º now. The next week holds lots of sunshine. I will be spreading homemade compost tomorrow. Yippee!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kwanjin Black Mondo grass was the main one that caused the headache. The vast majority of Canadian suppliers listed at Dave's aren't paying extra funds (I'm guessing) to have links to their plants from the Plantfiles. Google searching didn't bring me much luck either (some nurseries up here will only sell to locals). So I slowly went through the major Canadian sellers, province by province, until I found the silly things (I do so love them).
Oh and the other plant was a stephanotis. I can get a local florist to order it but I'm hoping one supplier that I contacted can sell it to me cheaper. I'll also check a local grocery store (Safeway) and see if they will be bringing it in. I've seen it there before and I'm positive the ones they had were cheaper that what the florist will charge and theirs was more mature.

Next will be my hunt for the black cherry tomato and a hanging plant (whose name escapes me right now but local greenhouses do bring it in). One greenhouse, in particular, carried the hanging plant for many years but it is in a small town about 2 hours away. She sold it with about 8 plants in the basket and the vines were about 6 feet long and for a very good price. It was truly eye candy.

found it (at least a pic of it and its' name) : Cascade Wine Red’ Lophospermum http://www.garden.org/subchannels/landscaping/containers?q=show&id=2638

Oh and remembered one other Lisianthus....it is the double Grandiflorum I think, that I grew years ago http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=lisianthus&Search=Search+PlantFiles. I contacted a greenhouse, a 4 1/2 hour drive North of here (where we lived for a number of years, to see if they are still selling it. She said they would check with their supplier and if they are still growing it she will drive down here and drop them off (she has a good friend in my city she hasn't seen in years).

This message was edited Mar 10, 2013 9:31 AM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

1½" rain yesterday. 30º now, with a coating of snow from overnight.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gray day, rain later? 54 degrees now 60's today?

They're calling for it to be windy and a high of 74F.

(This report says 'calm' but it is a bit breezy at my place.)

Updated: 7:51 AM PDT on March 10, 2013
43 °F
Clear
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.70 out of 12

I have never seen this pond so low. In the second photo, the lines on the rock show previous water levels. I think that the white line is the typical water level.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Sky clear and deep blue. The southerly wind returned this morning and is becoming bothersome. It blows until about 4pm and then calms as the sun goes down. Bamboos sound like the rigging of an old sailing ship, banging and rattling. Wind is howling through the Ironwoods.
So dry its only the second time in 20 years that I've been able to weedwack the grass across a marshy area in the forest.
Showers forecast for early and mid week.

More rain but not as much as yesterday. Woke up to 50s, now in the low 30s. Nebraska is getting hammered with snow right now. They are shutting highways down for awhile due to the snow I've heard.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Warming back up here in Central FL after a cold week of camping...we enjoyed the cold though, great camping weather, but glad only a week of it, got down to freezing a few nights. Today reached 76 from a cool 43 this morning. Tomorrow up to 79. ☺ Might rain Tues. we need it.

Still digging all the snowy photos.

(Zone 7a)

Lilypon, thanks for the links to those beautiful plants. I have the black Mondo grass and I love it.

50º and sunny today.

They're calling for it to be in the 80s all this week.

Updated: 7:51 AM PDT on March 11, 2013
44 °F
Clear
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 34 °F
Pressure: 30.17 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.30 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

61 degrees at noon hour here today , steady sometimes heavy rain

Around 40 for high and mostly sunny. Should be warmer tomorrow and be back up near 70 this weekend.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

28F fog...misty rain...gusting winds...huge snowflakes

Flooding report has been released and we are in for it unless we have a very slooooooooooow melt.

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/saskatchewan-flooding-forecast-shows-areas-where-risk-very-high/100175

lots more rain and snow is in our forecast..... :(

Temps will be dropping again here very soon and then we are heading above freezing (snow/rain).

For us to do that big jump to warmth means someone down there will have an equal drop in temps.

Kwanjin I looked through your plantfile pics and your taste in perennials is very similar to mine. I'd still have some Black Mondo but we had an unexpected freeze last year and mine were toast after that. :'(

(Zone 7a)

I believe we made it to 60º today. Maybe we'll be at 70º by the weekend? I hope so. I have lots to do out there. LOL

Lily, sudden freezes are very trying for us, too. Attempting to create micro-climates works up to a point. Sorry you lost yours. It's very pretty paired with Irish Moss, Sagina subulata. The glowing green and black are beautiful together. I have a pic somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I also have a lot to do "out there" Bitter cold wind at about 30 degrees , feels like about 5 degrees . gray and dreary day..
No gardening here for a day or two . Only I did plant a couple of spring crocus bulbs from storage , (it wasn't gardening it was freezing myself )..

This message was edited Mar 12, 2013 12:28 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It's 56 degrees and very windy here today - too cold for me to work outside, even though I have tons of stuff I need to do - will just have to wait until it warms up - maybe, by the end of the week.

We reached mid 40s today but with the wind it was pretty cold still. I had to help unload some trees we got in and I had to finally put my ear thing on so my ears would stay warm!! Will keep warming up this week though.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

30 Degrees and snow at this hour .. cold day ahead for today.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At the weather site I post at I see the Floridians begging for warmth to come back their way....I don't have the heart to tell them we have another huge drop in temps in our forecast (though I'm sure they are aware since they are good at reading models). I must admit I giggle though when I see them posting cold smilies and their whimpers. We've had cold and snow since October....major snow that has stayed with us since the beginning of November. Old Man Winter is bound and determined to make us pay for getting off so lightly last year.

Currently 0C/32F here and heading up to a high of 4C/39F

Folks this winter is never ever going to end. :'(

Oh and I have those Texans (at the weather site) in my bad books......they actually invited Old Man Winter to North America (I told them they were FOOLS).

*sigh*
(snow does ease drought though and I am praying it has cooled the United States off enough this year that we won't have to face a summer from hell too).

Lilypon, send some cooling this way. They are calling for record highs (88°F) today and tomorrow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

28º but sunny.
Last year we had 4 days of 79º over St Patricks day weekend.
This year we are running 10º below normal most days.
Lots of fun yesterday. Not quite thawing temps, but sunny. So winds of 25 to 35 MPH from NW, blew snow onto roads & created slushy icey spots. Drivers didn't slow down, you can imagine the rest.
My daughters friend had to go to Sioux Falls. On the way home, he said cars & trucks were in the ditch every mile.
One place road was closed as they were trying to get a semi out of the center medium.

Kelli, I will trade you in a minute!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I would so love to Kelli! I've been reading all your posts and wishing I could make it so!

Bernie my husband hits the highway every single day and he took a pic yesterday of a semi that 180ed in front of him and another one is just starting to in the same pic.

Today he phoned and is stuck in traffic behind another one.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm not sure if I've ever linked to this video here but it's a wonderful introduction to what Canada looks like. It's also perfect timing to watch it since our rivers will be breaking up soon (I'm hoping spring does arrive eventually.....though we want a very slow melt here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fUp2Xo-05os#!

I love the songs they embeded in it. The singer is from Ontario (I think) and he moved up to Nunavat and fell in love with our territories and chose to live there.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013 1:16 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Our forecast is now up and for the rest of March (pretty much) we are going to be rather *cough* chilly.... the Texan Met put my city's forecast, that he plotted, up: http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105266&start=3260 if my city gets away with minor flooding, if and when we warm up, it will be a miracle.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

20 degrees and cold , light wind and flurries this morning .

(Zone 7a)

Headed for 70º today.

Calling for 90F today. Ugh.

Unseemly

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on March 14, 2013
92 °F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Falling)
UV: 8 out of 16
Pollen: 8.10 out of 12

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Lilypon, nice video and music. We would like to take a trip to Canada in our RV some day now that we're retired. Lots of Canadians are here in FL now in their RV's, they start heading back come April.

64° was the high today, windy, but nice and sunny. At least it isn't supposed to go below 40 tonight. I can't put my greenhouse sides back down because I have some wrens making a nest in the corner now. So can't freeze anymore here...the wrens have declared spring is here. ☺

Backyard birds this week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

70 and sunny now. Winds were high this morning but died down this afternoon.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sunkissed I'd wait a little while if I was you.....we still plan on sharing our cold for awhile yet.

Texans, who love growing plants, and anyone else in between here and there best take heed of that piece of news.

The Texan Met, who hates cold with a passion and who put my forecast up was praying all that cold would stay bottled up here (I'm thinking that won't be happening). He chose a model that has been often wrong this winter (deliberately I might add). They love to scare me but I'm sure Environment Canada's forecast for my area is right...we WILL have a warmup and for that to happen well our cold just has to go somewhere).

Moose Jaw, SK
Current Weather 8:05 CST
Snow

12°F

Snow

Feels Like : -6
Wind : E 19 m/h
Wind gusts : 27 m/h

Humidity : 85%
Pressure : 1021 mb
Visibility : 0.3 miles

Sunrise : 7:15
Sunset : 19:07
Ceiling : 500 ft

It seems indecent posting this after Lilypon, but it got up to 94F yesterday, which is a record.

I feel the same way Kelli. We reached 82 for our high today.

I was gonna work on cleaning up my garden for spring but my wheelbarrow is missing. Must be at my grandma's. So I planted so hollyhock starts and clematis starts instead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.