CLOSED: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS - Valentine Exchange

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My pictures are probably out in cyberspace somewhere, going to try again.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I was hoping you would get it today, I sat outside on my tailgate for lunch!! it was so nice...warm and quiet..ducks in the retention pond....and I thought about you...thinking of the black and white, when I saw a loon....wondered if it had arrived.

I used a new type of filler in that pin cushion....read about it on a blog. please let me know how you like it....supposed to keep needles sharp, and keep them from getting rusty....I made one for me too.....the last one I did for myself came out "strange" I don't know what I did, but it is very VERY hard to stick the pins in ?? I keep thinking I need to open it up and pull out some stuffing, all I can figure is it is stuffed too much?? I have made more than I can count of these, and this is the first time this has happened...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

That's odd Thunder, wonder what the problem was? Let us know when you figure it out!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love that tote bag Thunder, you have done a wonderful job making it! What do you use for the stuffing in the pin cushions?

I took the tote bag and needle cushion to the library last night and everyone commented on how nice it is and how lucky of me to have gotten a bag in black and white.
We are all making totes for our irons. We have insulbrite and teflon all cut and now we each get to pick our fabrics and buttons. I'll post pictures next week on our progress. Should be a variety of styles and looks.

the pattern for that bag called for pinks / reds and a small blue print. as soon as I saw it I thought it would look good in B & W.
I am thinking of doing another with some green.

LK I usually use a combination of batting bits, and poly stuffing you get in a bag. I cut the strips pieces that are cut off of edges of quilt, when done quilting, and going to put binding on. I cut those cut off pieces into little random little bits, and use for stuffing, I use it in any of the critters I make, as well as in pin cushions.
I have read on many blogs that crushed walnut shells work very well, for pin cushions, sharpens pins, and keeps them from rusting over time. so I started looking around for it. could not find anything local. to order online was expensive, imho, and shipping was ridiculous !! as I was searching, I came across a few blogs that said sand blasting materials were a fantastic replacement for the shells!!?? sew I started to look into that.....turns out that some sandblasting materials are same as some used for tumbling.... dried and crumbled corn cob. comes in many different sizes.
I was sorta taking to myself / reading out loud and Dave asked what was I mumbling about...so I told him....and he says.....odd?? I have a big jar of that tumbling stuff, if you want to give it a try. I will never use all of it. !! it just happened I had a few empty pin cushions sitting here. filled one up with the stuff, and tried it out , I liked how easily the pins stuck in, and decided I would do another one and send to Mittsy, as I was sending the tote bag, and planned to also send a pin cushion anyways.
Mittsy and I are are the product testers, Although I forgot to add a note in the package telling her about it !!

Glad to hear you did your homework, and found the items you needed at home!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Linda, Egads!!!What happened to that package!? I guess I should have insured it....... The cup that was missing was one that I saw at Walgreens, an Arizona cup in browns, Indian designs. I did not paint it. And it was brimming with chocolate kisses. Did you only get two??!! LOL There was also a funky Snoopy valentine pin. I will send another cup full of chocolate kisses as soon as I get back into Tucson. That package looked like a gorilla had jumped up and down on it....... Glad the other cup was ok.
Thander, love the black and white hearts!

Sorry no snoopy pin either. There was only the two kisses in the box! Looks like they played football with it.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Someone at the Po enjoyed kisses. Well, maybe they needed them!

Several years back I participated in a Valentine swap and never did get my box. I figure the chocolate is too much of a temptation to some postal workers. Glad you got some of it.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Linda, I found another cup and got more kisses. Alas, no snoopy pin.... I'm also making another mug rug. I like it so well I'm making me one too! I think I'll call it 'Desert Marigold". Anyway, I hope to get it off in the mail tomorrow. This time I bought some new wrapping tape so hopefully it will reach you all in one piece...... I've been laughing about the two lonely kisses you got. I hope you didn't think that was all I sent! Are you sure your husband didn't eat some of them when he opened the package? LOL
I'd better get back over to the 'studio' and finish those mug rugs.

LOL, Gloria, my DH would have drooled like a well trained dog but he would NOT have touched my chocolate without asking!

I had a feeling something was missing when he opened the box, and told me the condition it was in. No hubby is not a chocolate lover like I am, he loves his salty treats like chips and popcorn.
And please don't feel like you have to replace the missing items. I love what I did get!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 7:36 AM

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
I'm thinking that Snoopy made a great escape with the chocolate kisses! LOL ... Seriously, though, I'm very sorry to hear that your box arrived in such poor condition with missing items. Hoping the replacements make it to you in better shape!
Well, I'm hoping to get Thunder's second package out to her early this week. Have the crocheting all done :)
Michelle

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Hey Linda, the package is on it's way! Hope they don't play soccer with this one.......

Thanks for the heads up! I will post as soon as it arrives.

Saginaw, MI

Don't cha just love the postal system sometimes!!!! I was waiting for a box one time for over a week longer than what it was supposed to take to get here and then when it finally did come it was literally SOAKED !! The mail lady said oh, I'm sorry but there must be a leak in my truck, I thought I moved it over far enough to not get wet. Luckily it was only some daylilies that I ordered and the water actually helped keep them alive inside the box for the "extra" week it took to get here!!

Ya, or the post office that SAT on my returned envelopes for over 6 weeks. I finally went in and ASKED WHERE all my mail went because NONE of swap buddies had gotten the blocks I sent them. OH ya... here they are. "I didn't have enough postage on them". Did I mention my husband brought them in and THEY determined the postage? Grrrrrr ... LOL!!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Almost makes you want to 'go postal'.........

YES!! I was irked royally that is for sure! ESpecially since THEY weighed it and THEY told him how much postage and then SAT ON MAIL!!! I was going crazy! I ended up sending everybody a new set of charms since the first were "lost in the mail"!

Hi, all.
Oh, that would be extremely frustrating! Here's to hoping all our packages yet to be sent make it to their recipients without any more trouble!
Thunder, my apologies... was hoping to mail out your second part of the swap, but I wasn't able to make it to the post office yet. I should get there later this week though. Will let you know when it's on its way!
Michelle

No worries Michelle.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

To all of you that have been within my thoughts for my dear friend, she was brought home to Toledo but to an Adult Care Facility. OMG. she was not told that she wasn't going home. I went to her side and she was just sobbing and I tried so hard to let her know that this is just a temporary situation, whether it is or not. The Doctors don't give her much time. Her daughter was able to bring one of her dogs down to cheer her up and that helped. They are going to let her decorate her room anyway she wants it which should help her to feel more comfortable with her own pillows and comforters. Pictures and anything else even her favorite chair. She has her own room but the place smells of Urine in my sensory. I am very sensitive to bad odors and its not horrendous but not nice either. We will have to see what we can do about that.
Anyway, just wanted to update you all since you were all so very kind with the valentines and all the love you sent. I know it meant a lot to me and she was over whelmed by folks that didn't even know her.
Hugs everyone.
Jan

Sorry to hear she could not go home, but glad to hear she can have the family make her comfy with her own belonging's, and decorations! Sending prayers for her!

Gloria, your box arrived in perfect condition yesterday afternoon. I love the cup you sent, and all the kisses will last me a long time! Well, maybe through the week end! ^_^ Love the mug rug too, it is beautiful! Oh, those iddy biddy bunnies were delicious!
Thanks again for the replacement items the post office lost.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 12:40 PM

Thumbnail by taters55

Very nice Linda Kay, chocolate is good anytime!

^_^ nice goodies LK

I just ate another cookie, only a few left :( still have a few apricots YUM

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Whew! Glad the pkg. made it there in one piece.

Hi, all.
LK, that's great that you received the replacement box intact! The goodies sound wonderful :)
Michelle

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so sorry to hear that our wonderful Postal service did it again but I am so glad that you got your replacement package in one piece.
So all in all, was this a success? Did everyone receive their valetines? I know mine was wonderful. I still need to get the dowels but I am waiting for nicer weather so I can decide where I want to put them. My little bird feeders or waterers We have so much water here that the rain would keep them filled I will have to find a place to put the other so I can put seed in it and it won't get wet. heheh

Hope everyone got their boxes, this was a great swap Jan! Looking forward to your next one!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

We did have fun, didn't we? Let see, I think my next one will be a Fourth Of July one, but need to think it through a bit.

Do I have your thinking gears whirring yet? heheheh
I think this can be fun once again. I think though that I will start it earlier so that we have plenty of time to create.
Taking suggestions.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Maybe you can get with Jaye, as she always runs the red white and blue swap. This is a very popular swap with everyone.

Check out last years swap, we had a lot of ladies sign up for it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255544/#axzz2MIgVhn6S

it has been a wonderful swap Jan ^_^

Michelle has said she will be sending me another package, sew we are not quite finished. Odd coincidence , that I sent my valentine out in two parts, and that I am receiving mine also in two parts??!!!

Happy March. I think I will wear some green today....come on in SPRING !!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Yes Jan, it was great fun. Thanks!

Hi, all.
Thunder, your other package is on its way! It's coming first class in an envelope (didn't weigh enough to make sense to mail it priority mail). But it does have a tracking number. I'll dmail it to Jan once I can have someone read it to me.
Jan, I've also mailed an envelope in care of you for your friend Linda. Please let me know when you receive it as I did not get a tracking number for it.
I've really enjoyed this swap! Hopefully, I can get an earlier start on my creations next time! (I think I would have gotten an earlier start this time if my hands hadn't been so chapped and sore. I've had more of a problem with it this winter than usual.) But I had lots of fun, too :)
Michelle

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Michelle, I guess you haven't heard but she is in an Adult care Facility now much to her disappointment as she feels that she shouldn't be there and is fighting everyone including her daughter tooth and nail. I am doing everything possible to keep her from putting her shoes on and taking off out the front door. They have had to take her shoes away as she can barely walk and doesn't remember things from day to day. Oh, its such a long story and I am really too tired to go into it tonight but I will dmail you tomorrow. I will take it to her never the less and hopefully it will cheer her up a bit. The doctors are saying two months but Its not up to him as with the will that she has she may surprise us all. I hope so.
Thank you so much Michele. That is so sweet of you.
Hugs to all of you wonderful caring ladies.

Hi, all.
Jan, I did see your post about her being in the adult care facility. I debated as to whether I should still send it or not. Decided that since I said I'd send the card, I wanted to still do that. I do wish I could have gotten it to you a bit sooner, but I'm hoping that the card and the extra something I included will help cheer her up a bit. Perhaps a little bit of decoration to brighten her room :) I'll be keeping you, Linda, and her family in my prayers.
Oh, and Thunder, my husband says the slip with the conf number says the envelope should arrive Monday :) Sending conf number to Jan now.
Michelle

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you all again.
Seems that everyday now she is getting a little closer to her maker but she is one heck of a fighter.
Even the caregiver says she is a handful as she still thinks she is going to put her shoes on and walk up that hill to her house.
All I can do is try and comfort her. I just hope she understands that there is nothing I can do with out the permission of her daughter and hospice..
Thanks again all

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.