CLOSED: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS - Valentine Exchange

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I received the tags. Thank you. That is were I got the idea of dog tags, or even charms. All kinds of possibilities . Where did you find the tags , if you don't mine me asking?

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

yes I too want to know about this metal stamp thing?????

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
I received a lovely box from Shirley/sbish5 on Tuesday afternoon while I was busily crocheting for my buddy :)
There's a decorative rock that says "bless this garden" and has a picture of a dragonfly (if I remember correctly), a caterpillar decoration, two kinds of bulbs to plant, a cute beanie critter with a heart-shaped nose, a lovely card, a bag of chocolate-covered pretzels (delicious!), and another bag with chocolate hearts and peppermints (will be trying these soon, too!).
Shirley put a lot of work into decorating the boxes of bulbs and the box containing the decorations. And the card is pretty cool, too :) She made the picture of a flower on the front of the card from pictures of flowers that she cut out from magazines and such.
Thank you, Shirley! By the way, what kind of bulbs did you send? I noticed that several have already started sprouting, so I ought to get them planted soon :)
All right... back to crocheting...
Michelle

Saginaw, MI

Michelle, glad to hear that your package arrived and that you like everything! And , sorry, I had a note that I was going to include telling you what kind of bulbs they are and it got left out of the box. One box is different colored tulips and the other is different colored daffodils. I bought some for my mother also and put them in pots for her. Happy Valentines Day!!

Shirley

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to thank you all so very much for the out pouring of love and caring that came about with this exchange. My dear friend went into the hospital yesterday. She isn't doing well but she did make up a card that I will photograph later and share with you all. She went in early yesterday morning and was in a lot of pain. Hopefully it can be taken care of if not then she knows that she is loved by many.
Many hugs and much love to you all.
Jan

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Patti I got the tags from Grainger they are down the street from where I work but I ordered online and then picked them up but I am sure they will ship or any type of guy store, habor freight did not have them in the store.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Blank-Tag-1F032?Pid=search
this is the one I ordered. I split the order between 3 of us since I didn't think any of us needed a 100....which after a little thought may not be correct on my part...rofl.
Harbor Freight has the stamp set in the store or online or any guy shop probably has them
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=metal+stamp+set

During Christmas before I thought of these tags I bought a big big brass washers (which were like $3 a piece) and made key chains for the guys in the families. On one I stamped his wifes birthday and anniversary because he is horrible at remembering them, which caused a big laugh for everyone. One I put the name of his old car 1957 Chevy 2-door Loved by Ron...rofl and just different things like that, it was unexpected and fun and cheap...LOL Even tho the washers were really expensive compared to the tags.

Hope this helps anyone who is curious on how to make reasonable priced plant tags or......skys the limit.

The stamp kit and tags I am talking about are actually a metal stamp that you use a hammer and stamp anything metal. Course softer metal the easier, like aluminum, brass. Stainless steel is tougher I have been told. My husband uses them to stamp his tools and things at work before he was retired. The stamp sets range in price from around 8.00 and up at Habor Freight but you can get them at Grainer or all over.

How to make plant tags using your brass tags and the punch set.

1. Place the tag on the surface flat.
Find the letter in your set that you want.
Make sure the letter is facing the correct direction and is face down on the brass tag….I have messed up some by not paying attention…rofl You don’t want a backwards C … LOL
2. At this point you will still be holding on to the letter, but I only had two hands, can’t hold the letter, hold the hammer, and hold the camera…all at the same time. So hold the letter from the punch set and hit the top of the punch set with the hammer. Really doesn’t take a lot of force to imprint the tag with the letter.
3. Once you have put in one letter, get the next letter and repeat. Some people draw a line on the tag so the names are straighter but I don’t bother with that.
It is easier than hammering in a nail I think.
I used clothes line wire for the plant tag I sent you, but if you have old wire clothes hangers they will work. I got wire at home depot, but you will need a pair of wire cutters, which are scissors on steroids…rofl.
The stamp set will last forever probably and the tags should also and the cost I think is really reasonable compared to most plant tags. I was making my own tags from aluminum and an engraver but this is MUCH easier and I was not a great engraver by hand so these are more readable.
Easy as 1, 2, 3

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

So sorry to hear Jan. So very tough. Words at times like these seem so small.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Happ love this idea. Wonder if you could use flashing Nd cut out your own tags? I have a huge roll of copper flashing. I will try to remember to do the. Will also be getting the stamps too.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Jan, sorry to hear about Linda in the hospital! Praying for her, that she will be feeling better soon! keep us posted please?
Love that idea Hap!

Elfie flashing would work great, any soft metal. I used tin snips and cut aluminum that DH had laying around for the ones I was engraving at first and just drilled a hole in the tag to run the wire thru. I filed the sides down so they werent sharp for the dogs but if you don't have 4 dogs running around you wouldn't have to do that.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/

There is an Easter swap open, come and check it out please?

thanks for the info on the stamper....

I got a wonderful valentine delivered to my house today!! from my Sailor son.

Thumbnail by barefootT

What a beautiful Valentine Thunder!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Mind didn't make it but I am not feeling any disappointment due to all the love that was sent for my dear friend. I pray that she pulls though it this time too. Only she can say how much is too much and when to stop. She has just been my best and dearest friend I have ever had.
thank you all again

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry Jan to hear Linda not doing well. She is in my prayers.
Patti

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The stamper is a great gift. I was thinking I can engrave tags for charms,and even add ink to them. Thanks for the information on getting more tags.
Patti

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Jan, your's was mailed and it's scheduled to be delivered on 14th, there is a small gift and card in there for Linda as well.

Ladies, just wanted to let you all know that I will be out of town till Tuesday, if my package shows up hubby will let me know, but I will not be able to post pictures till I get back.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Have a safe trip Linda.

Thanks Pat.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Pat,
My friend Linda is in the hospital. Went in yesterday with extreme pain in the belly area and they say from the scan that there is a lot of fluid around the tumor area and possibly causing some bowel blockage. She is just miserable. I pray that they can help her and give her some relief. They are also giving her another transfusion just in case they have to operate. Please keep her in your prayers tonight.
You are all so wonderful to have sent her the cards and goodies. They truly meant so much to her.
Hugs to all of you.
I will keep my eyes open tomorrow, Pat.
Thanks
Jan

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Mailed my buddy's box today... Well, the first part anyway. I was really hoping to get my crocheted item done to include with it, but I'm still working on that part. Wanted to get the perishables sent now. I asked when it would arrive and was told probably Friday, so be watching for it to arrive then. Sorry I didn't get it in the mail in time to arrive Thursday. I'll let you know when the other package is coming so you can be watching for it :)
Oh, and the card is signed by me and my guide dog :) (forgot to include my DG name in there...)
Shirley, thank you so much for the bulbs. Will have to get them planted :) It will be fun to find out what colors the flowers are :)
By the way, did you have a chance to take pictures for me before you mailed things? If so, can you post them? Thanks!
Michelle

Saginaw, MI

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL YOU GARDENERS OUT THERE!

(and, nope, sorry Michelle, I did not take pics before I sent it out to you)

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 11:47 AM

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55

Happy Valentines Day! Hubby put my card in the edge of my purse so I would have it first thing today! What a sweetie.

Patti you are so much more creative than me, and those disks come in colors, but I don't know if those were stainless or not and I don't know how hard stainless is to stamp, just know it is a harder metal....you have some great ideas!

Have a great day everyone. Love the flowers Thunder.

How many letters can you stamp on one disk? Can you stamp around the edge to get longer words on them?

The stamping kit comes in different size letters, you can buy a kit with small letters, or a kit with larger letters or like my husband I think he has one huge kit with different sizes. Then you can stamp anywhere you want on metal. When I used the washer I was able to get: First Christmas 2013 around the inside edge and then Carol Joyce Doug Vicki on the outer edge....so it depends on the size of the letter on the end of the stamping kit and then what you are stamping on.
On those original disk I sent to Patti you could put the letters closer together, and make two rows. They have disks that are bigger and some that are MUCH bigger...rofl.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Happy Valentines to all!! I will try to post the pics of my valentine that Mittsy sent. Ok, lets see what happens..... OMG! It's working!! First. the placemat, tea towel, mug rug, and chocolat bar. Second, the towel, note the cuppa and croisant, and the mug rug. Doesn't show the really cute ruffle on the tea towel but the first pic does. Third, Look at the name on the paper. I've been told that 'mork' means 'dark' and there you have the proof!!! I haven't tasted it yet but dark chocolate is my very favorite!!! Fourth, somehow Mittsy knew that my favorite flower is the Iris and she made this beautiful placemat with Iris on it. Isn't it beautiful?! Fifth, the back of the placemat. When I see what beautiful work Mittsy does with the embroidery I begin to wonder if maybe I should look into it.........
Mittsy, you have somehow figured out that I love chocolate (mork) and Iris and tea. Thank you so much. I will treasure these gifts and remember the taste of the chocolate.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy Thumbnail by morknotmindy Thumbnail by morknotmindy Thumbnail by morknotmindy Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Not to leave out the rug mug. I've been looking at it trying to figure our how you did it, Mittsy. I think a tutorial is in order here..... Very clever and probably easy once the process is understood. It will live right by my sewing machine as I nearly always have a cup of tea nearby.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

You need six 5" squares and one 4 1/2" square of batting. First step is to fold four of them in half and press. Step two - overlap them into a basketweave square with all folded edges facing in to the center. Stitch all around the outer edge. Step three layer one batting square between two other square with right sides out. Stitch and "x" to lock in place. Put two units together and stitch 1/4" seam. Trim corners and turn inside out and press.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

next 5 pictures

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This is from Linda my friend. She wanted you all to know how much she appreciated everything.
Thank you all

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

front and back. Its nice to slip the base of a wine glass into the center opening.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Keeping Linda in my prayers.

Does Linda have a puppy like what was on the card? She is diffently in our thoughts.....

Mittsy thank you for the tutorial, I need to try that. I haven't done any sewing in years and years.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, she has two mini schnauzers, named Abbey and Kimber.

Oh Psychw2, I got your awesome package but I dont quite understand the little metal things on the bottom of the saucers. Hum. Am I missing something? They Valentine apron is wonderful I will wear it tonight and all the goodies in the three cups look yummy. Please explain what the things are on the bottom of the cups? Sorry I am at a loss.

I love caramels and OMG did you make it all including the toffee. Oh My Gosh. I am going to roll around like a beach ball after all these goodies.

Thank you for Lindas gift. She just got home from the hospital so I am going to take it over to her. Here is a picture of her puppies

This message was edited Feb 14, 2013 3:50 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

These are Linda sweet puppies Abbey and Kimber.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Thanks Mittsy! I will probably try that tomorrow.
Jan, glad to hear that your friend Linda is home. And what sweet puppies!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

This is my Valentine from Psychw2. Awesome yummy goodies and a wonderful apron but I don't quite understand the cups

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

ohhhh I bet they screw onto a post...so they can go out side for bird feeders!!!! my hubs brother has made some, I saw pictures of them...

wonderful Pressies going around... ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.