Morning Glories 2012 #14 Fall and Winter

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286747

Purple Blizzard July 2012

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I sure do love to look at blooms.. :) September 2011
I called this the patio mix when I sent these out last winter

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Those were all beautiful blooms Debra. Your
last pic with the purp and the small orange Noah is just stunning. :-)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

PB is pretty Jackie!
Debra, I like the second bloom in your pics!

Gautier, MS

Jackie, love all your gorgeous blooms from the last thread too.

Debra all your blooms are gorgeous too, love looking at them too.

Pretty cool here after the rain. Sorry the rain missed you Jackie. No blooms here but my latest seedlings are starting to climb and I like the leaves on this one.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Guess I missed the link for a new thread, lovely flowers everyone!

Thanks Ronnie I liked that #2 also and #4 with the bold bars.. All are very pretty though.

Thanks Helena. I love the variegated lvs on your new seedlings. An unusual color.

Thanks Linda. The link for the new thread is in the last post of the previous thread.

I think varigated leaves are the coolest ever.. always a plus when you get a bloom too!
Thanks about the second one, no one could ever tell me what it was, and I grew them this past summer too, I put all the seeds from the patio in a mix called mg mix. When you get these seeds ya all, what I have shown is what I put in there.. no names, sorry.
we have not had any rain in a month now, just filled up jugs with laundry water, to water out side and inside with. * sigh* we use soap that has no phosphates, I use it to spray with too.
August 1st 2012 patio mix

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, more beautiful blooms. If I get some sds for these beauties in a mix, I will be so happy. :-)

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Debra, I'll 2nd that about the seeds. Looks like I have to start putting some together for you too.

Here's two seedlings from my BMN from beije seeds. Looking forward to see what blooms from them. The seedling on the left has variegated leaves, the one on the right doesn't yet and the stem is darker than the other.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012 2:03 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, excited to see what blooms you get on the BMN vines.
One of my new vines has had a meltdown, maybe a virus out of my potting mix? It was last yr
that I had all those gorgeous varieg lvs which had to be caused by a virus in the potting mix
It's a shame I didn't take cuttings from those varieg vines, the only way to keep those lovely lvs going. :-

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, need to go and water them just a little maybe also with just a touch of bloom booster.

They are looking very healthy!

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra. This salvia bloomed for the first time this year, the blooms are a lot darker than in the picture. I can't remember it's name, the leaves feel very soft and fuzzy.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Pretty red blooms Helena. I love the Salvias/Sage Family.
I never met one of those I didn't like. :-)

One of my last Mauve Splash blooms 2 weeks ago.
This Pretty Pink Asago was a beauty, same day as the Mauve Splash bloom

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Jackie, I love your beautiful blooms. Those are really special vines.

Thanks too, I love my salvias. I have quite a few to start soon from seed.

Thanks Helena. We'll enjoy your Salvia blooms with you. Do the Salvias take a long time to germinate
like the Impatiens do.?

Gautier, MS

Jackie, salvia seeds can take anywhere from 3 to 7 days to germinate. Some stuborn seeds may take longer, some refuse, like native seeds from CA, China. I've given up on trying on some. I like the ones from Central and South America cuz they do better for me here. I have grown 1 or 2 from South Africa.

One Star of India bloom today. I've got a few large foam cups to grow mgs in, I think they'll keep the roots warmer. Now I feel like starting some more seeds to grow.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

A pretty MG. Helena, one of my favorites. Are you going to start mgs in the large foam cups or use them
for potting up to the next size?

I think Impatiens can take up to 3 weeks to sprout so Salvias much faster.

My DD has been spraying hair spray over my mg's in the bathroom. I've lost 3 so far.
She wasn't spraying them directly but it still got em. :-(
I think the spray was the culprit, My 1st thought was a virus.

Lav Beauty in July.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Jackie, it started warming up today and it turned out to be a real nice day to be outside. Kids enjoyed going to the Christmas parade. I got to play in dirt too in gh, I'm using the foam cups to repot from the tiny cups into what I think some of those are either 24 oz or 32 oz. My kids bring them home when they get drinks. I'm also got a foam cooler that I'm going to use to place as many of the small pots that fit in there to keep them warm. Dec.1st already.

Sorry to hear you DD hair spray near the mgs. I didn't know that could affect them. Hope you can start a few more though.

Gorgeous bloom from your Lav. Beauty Jackie.

Thanks Helena. I missed this pic somehow.
I don;t know for sure if the spray did it Helena, just a guess.
I'll try to plant a few more mg sds. I'd love to have some blooms by
Feb. :-)
The 24 and 32 oz cups should give your MG"s plenty of growing room.
It was over 70 here today, a new record and we had our Christmas Parade too. DD got caught in the traffic cause we forgot about it.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty LB Jackie!

Helena I had a bloom similar to yours this year too...it was from Arlan a few years ago, just labeled with a number. Quite a few variations of it throughout the summer.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Gautier, MS

I don't know if it would for sure Jackie.

Beautiful bloom Ronnie, one of mine did the same thing with the blizzard variation. I really like it better when they do that, makes it more interesting.

Thanks Ronnie, Star of India makes some beautiful variations. Yours is lovely.

Love all the blooms, and I agree, variations make it worth the trip to the garden every morning to see what is new.

Good Morning.. really pretty blooms you all have posted. I love salvias.. have never seen one quite like that one, Helena.
I love the star of india.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Debra. Salvias were my first passion so I'm trying to grow more of them again.

The only little red mgs blooming today along with a few tropical hummingbird plants outside. The abutilon inside gh.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love your tropicals Helena. Is that a Clerodendrum pictured after the Abutilon?

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, yes that is a clerodendrum vine. It dies back after the frost hits it but will come back in spring. It's a late bloomer for me.

I think its a late bloomer in the greenhouse too. I love the red blooms.
I had a Clerodendrum bungii that I lost cause I insisted on growing it in a pot. It spreads but
with 6 acres, It could have spread all it wanted. Hope I find another one day. :-)

No Mai today.

Thumbnail by patootie

I love that red flower too, Helena. I try abutilon twice now, but can't get one past one or two blooms. I love morning glorys cuz they always show other flowers what to do.. :)
Like Jackies No Mai.. see? LOL

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I'll have to look up that name, to see if it's like mine or different. It does spread.

Beautiful bloom Jackie, love your no Mai.

Debra, they say you have to keep trying growing them even after loosing them at least 3 times. Can't tell you how many times I've had them and lost them.

Thanks Helena and Debra.
When I grow Abutilons from sds, I have to be very careful with the watering. When they're tiny, I can't help but notice they don;t seem to like much water. I still manage to kill mine in 2 or 3 yrs. They get so big, some of them, that they are constantly begging for larger pots when they get up a couple of feet tall. I think thats
because with my good Fetilome potting mix, the roots can just go/grow crazy. Going thru a pot of the mix in no time flat.;-)
Helena,s Abutilons are so pretty in pink, that I'm going to try my sds or order a couple.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I have 3 or 4 right now. I'm on a list for the orange hed veined one that's good for hummers. At one time I had one that was about 8 ft tall growing in the ground, my mistake was not starting more from cuttings when they get that big. Where do you get your Fetilome potting mix? I love mixing Black Magic from Big Lots with old soil cuz it's very rich.

No mgs today but my Iris has a bud and new growth, is it confused when it's supposed to bloom? My agastache outside is doing good too with a few blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, I bet the cool temps confused your Iris. Wish I had planted my Agastache, it looks kinda bad in the g house. I know it wants to be in the ground, probably hardy to zone 4.

I get my Fertilome potting mix locally in No Little Rock. Just a 15 minute drive for me. Its 2 cubic foot bag for
about 11.99. I go thru at least 5 of these each yr trying to repot a lot of my plants. If you ever used it Helena, you would love it. When you get time, google for Fertilome Potting Mix. The manufacturers name is different not Fertilome.
Helena, I'll have to try some of the Black Magic from Big Lots, maybe mix some of it.
A few times. I grew out Parks or Burpees Sherbert Abutilons. Can't remember the exact name right now.
One was a white, that faded to yellow and then darkened to gold. So it could have 3 diff colors on it at the same time. I loved it. I need to see if my sds are still good.

I know this is for morning glories, but I have a question about poinsettias. I just bought 4 plants from wal mart, and when I got home, one of them broke off at the base of the plant, made me so mad? Can they be rooted?

Linda, I don;t think I've ever tried to root a Poinsettia. Try 2 cuttings from the broken stem/s.. Try one in
a cup of fresh water and one in potting mix or even seed starter which is light. To me, roots form better when the cut end is in slightly dry conditions and the dryer medium encourages
rooting. If it broke off at the base, it's like pruning and it should grow back out very full and pretty. Maybe not red though, that takes special treatment to get the red leaves.
I;ve had some of the most unusual plants root in a cup of water, Brugs for one and I can get gingers and Angel Wing Begonias to root very easily in a cup of water. The tree MG's do that too and Philodendrons. I've rooted Bromeliads in water too and our annual MG's. Be interesting to see if the Poinsettia can root in water.
Maybe someone else will weigh in here. :-)

Thanks for the info. I put them in water right away, I will place a few in soil too, and see what happens.

Poinsettia is a member of the spurge family. Go to google and type in " rooting poinsettia cuttings" that will get you all kinds of answers.
I had a beautiful couple blooms besides the ones I have posted, but too tired t download them. I sure am glad these are producing seed pods.. when I send them out, they will be basement window mg mix LOL

Well, sister got the news today.. the past 6 chemo rounds she just endured did nothing and the cancer has spread to her liver, her other lung all covered now, and her hip bone is almost eaten away. She is so upset, but did agree to do another chemo that is new for 6 more rounds. She is going to get her u know what together and let me go get her after this round of chemo so she can be around her family here while she can at least walk and do a few things. I am so sad, but have to remain positive for her. Sorry to dump. Love you guys..
this is the one that was blooming this am.. from my Patio mix I am sending out to you all.. which I am working on everynight, getting your packets ready and all.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Gautier, MS

Debra, that is a beautiful mg. I'm so sorry to hear the news about your sister. I'm sad for you too. Hopefully the new round of chemo will help. Will be keeping your sister and you in prayers.

Your mg is beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.