CLOSED: 2012 FALL SEED ROBIN IN FLIGHT

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Domehomedee FEB 28TH Was taken by cz So can you choose another & Bigt I had you down for may 14th in my 2013 calendar but forgot to add it here so sorry .

Kathy :april 7th is a sunday

THE ROBIN IS ABOUT TO LAND TODAY MARY HOPE YOU ENJOY :))))

WELL off to get my brother moving today :) back later
RISINGCREEK------JAN 21ST
PAULA_P ----Feb 11th?
MARTI---------FEB 14TH
PDF--------------Feb 20th
CZIMMERMAN00-----FEB 28TH
FOTV------MAR 1ST
JLEE------MAR 2ND
PFG------MAR 11TH
GARDENSEEDER------MAR 22ND
BIGTROT-----MAY 14TH

Thumbnail by deejay9
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

OK....Ya found a calender....let's make it April 8......I'm willing to donate a garden gift for the winner....might make guessing a bit of fun......Kathy

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I could do a birdhouse gourd for the winner. What do you think?

Wow Maybe I Should get a guess in here then :) Yes I was going to have a gift for the CLOSEST Guess But I Just didn't Know at this time what I Wanted it to be .

Just went over to check conf To see if the Robin landed or not but i hate the NEW TRACKING Page Every time you want to check you have to type the WHOLE # Again HATE IT . wish they would leave things alone .
says its out on Delivery .

PAULA_P ----Feb 11th?
MARTI---------FEB 14TH
FOTV------MAR 1ST
JLEE------MAR 2ND
PFG------MAR 11TH
WWKATHY---------APR 8TH
BIGTROT-----MAY 14TH

I have all these Apple Gourds What to do with them I have no safe place for them to dry its way to hot here in my house . so think i will give my friend a call who has this HUGE Basement as Big as her Home :) Sure we can find room there :)
well off to call her :)

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, my guess of 128 days would put it on Feb 18, a holiday, so I'm changing my answer! I considered changing it to much later, but the optomist in me won out. And besides, robins always come early in California :) so...
My official guess is Feb 22nd.
Ooo, those goodies sound so yummy! Feel free to send some my way :)
Michelle

(Zone 7a)

April 1

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

My guess is March 8th.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

How about March 17th, my birthday!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

I guess November 7 using Fruity's formula and a calendar!

Although I get it early - at least you all along the later flight path will be more seed variety! :)

It's so exciting! I can't wait!!!!!

C

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Candi, November?

Hi, all.
Candi, are you guessing when you will receive it or when it will make it back to Susie? November sounds like a guess for when you think you will receive it... Do you have a guess for when it makes it back to Susie?
Michelle

evening all
I had this all up-dated this morning have no Idea as to what happened to it .
ANYONE ELSE GUESSING THEIR B-DAY AS LONG AS IT IS NOT ON A HOLIDAY OR SUNDAY :)
CANDI THE GUESS IS FOR WHEN IT WILL LAND BACK HOME TO ME :)))
RAINY Day today but it was a great day Linda K / Taters55 was here with her father & We had a great Lunch & Lotsa chat
much fun :)))
gotta share a project i had been working on findly finished today a garden friend gave me this cement Leaf she made & I findly after 2 yrs
got it painted :) I love it just can't believe it took me so long to get it done :)))))
the Mum is from LK's dad :) & the other 3 pictures is of my front yard & all the colors was just pretty .

well off to do some more painting so ya all have a nice eve I maybe back.

Mary are you floating in seeds yet ???

PAULA_P ----Feb 11th?
MARTI---------FEB 14TH
GARDENQUAIL ---FEB 18TH
FOTV------MAR 1ST
JLEE------MAR 2ND
PATTI1959------MAR 8TH
PFG------MAR 11TH
DOMEHOMEDEE---17 TH--B-DAY
BLUESPIRAL-----APR 1ST
WWKATHY---------APR 8TH
BIGTROT-----MAY 14TH

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

What a fun day, Susie. I know how much you were looking forward to it. What a beautiful leaf and scenery too.

We had a roll of fog this morning in our field. It was so pretty with a backdrop of leaves at their peak mixed with Evergreens.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok Fruity...if it's soo great where's the pix......We usually only get one color here, yellow with slight orange....hmmmm, I'm thinking I might like some more acid in my soil (that's where most of the color comes from, unless it's a color specific plant, ie Autumn purple Ash, natives tho are mostly yellowish). So I love seeing the Autumn colors...bring 'em on....More pix please!!!!!

Susie...just love the colors, wow, lucky you!!!! And love the leaf, (bird bath?), and is it a Rhubarb leaf? Next spring....(I've been saying that for a couple of years now, lol.....)

Rototiller back in action, more tilling and maybe the last raking ....Just finishing up on my backyard drawing and if I find the time to tranfer plans to actual larger paper, ya more time, lol....Hopefully begin planting this weekend......

Pix...gotta move this beauty from my daughter's house, will take clippings and try to root, got a tray of 40 cubes ready to stick them into, cross your fingers gals, they might end up in some trades next spring, (fingers crossed here, LOL)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Upper Marlboro, MD(Zone 6b)

Susie that leaf is beautiful. What kind of paint? It is oh so pretty, thanks for sharing.

WWKathy, lovely clematis. Do you know the name of it? Are you starting a list for trades = put me down!!! Love it.

Donna

The Cement leaf was a gift from one of out gardening friends North of here it took me just a few ours to get it painted Painted it a Forest Green
Crafter Paint Let that dry then I Took a Sponge Dabbed it in an Orange paint dabbed it around then same with a red then took the other end of the sponge & Blended both colors & WALA I Was Just as surprised as to the fall color look it had :) I have to put a Second coat of
sealer on it yet .

Kathy hope you can get them rooted Put me on the list to rec:))))
well it is a great sunny morning so far anyway :) But I have a head throb that won't quit so off for a hot towel :)
Back later

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I did not know you could root clematis cuttings. I have a friend who has one in his front yard and I was going to collect seeds hopefullly. Maybe I'll try some cuttings.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

HAHA - I was guessing when I will get it! Hmmm....march 23rd is when DJ will get the box back is my guess!

Love the clematis Kathy! What a beauty!

Plants are looking mighty sad here in NH! Everything's already been frozen during some really cold nights in Greenfield! My mums are a sad sight now.....was reading in gardengate about which plants I should cut and which ones I should leave and MUM's should not - maybe that's part of the reason some don't come back! I'll try not cutting them this year! At last that's one less thing to do this next weekend!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ali...mums are easy to root if ya wanna try, cut stem and any flower buds off, stick in water or soil for inside.....

Yup, didn't get that clem cut yet (was working on backyard plans which was needed....), will try on tues......I still have the tray in the back of my car.....Rototilled all day, almost done for the 3rd or maybe it's the 4th round, raking tomorrow and then planting begins, got 4 days to get as much done as I can...next weekend might be iffy and who knows what after that, lol......PLEASE>>>PLEASE>>>PLEASE, need more good weather.....

Big....it's "The President", I planted it at a downspout at my daughter's house 4 years ago), if I get time I will bring the whole plant home, that's why I will also take cuttings (need to shorten it a few feet), and my oh my, it took off and flourished.......I always plant deep too (two or more nodes) gives a great start, just make sure to cut any leaves that would end up under ground....and tons of peat......I did get a full tray of clems cut from the mix of plants around my yard....hope they take....even some of my clem shrub.....

Pix is a mix of plants I got cuttings from so far...fingers are crossed!! Pix #4 is in front of the stand of baby's breath in pix #5. Last year took a few cutting and put them in a jar of water over the winter and really didn't take care of them but still got one great plant......

I stand corrected...pirl corrected me, lol....the clem is HFYoung......

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 9:44 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seems I have noticed mums resent cold weather cutting and as you of course know they have to have a few months to get rooted before cold weather dormancy if they are starts or small plants. I have some from cuttings, and some from the hardware store. The plants right from the pot and the store still took three or more weeks to establish, I lost a lot of cushion type mums over the years learning that.
MY cuttings were started in a small gravel, sphagnum mix but I here desiccated pine is what the pros use .

They ain't spectacular or anything ,only neither am I so they will do nicely!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

GM ALL
BEAUTY FUL FALL MORNING HERE Oops sorry for the caps

I'm going to post your guesses up top next to your names so we can keep better track so will up-date it soon :)

AS For Mums ONE OF MY FAV"S I DO NOT Cut back in fall they fall over & Make for a nice Mulch For the plants
It The Spring & Summer when they come up through the ground & Get about 4-5 in or so then I PINCH The Tops Off & Put them Back into the Ground Next to the Plant Many take off & root some do not Ones that do are ones that I Share in my trades in the fall .

By Pinching then back will do two things Keep them from getting tall & Laggy & falling over also helps Promote more BLOOMS &
when tops are Planted will give you Many more Beauties, LOVE LOVE LOVE My MUMS :).

here is the beauty outside my window this morning . wish you could have seen the heavens opening as i did with the sun coming through the pines..

well off for another cup of coffee & get my day going .

MWFW/ Mary can you let us Know what you found in the ROBIN ????

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Rockford, MI

Dj, looks beautiful. The colors have been gorgeous this year

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pictures! I love the fall foliage.

Jamestown, OH

The Fat Robin flew off this morning (Monday) - Will post tracking # tomorrow. What a FUN time looking through all the seeds and taking a pinch of this and that! I don't want to spoil the anticipation, but will say that there were lots of nice flower seeds, and I added some veggies and flowers to the mix. I'll post Grandma's Pumpkin Bread recipe later and let you know how I froze all those Jumbo Pink Banana Squash and New England Sugar Pie Pumpkins to use in the recipe.

I really don't know how that bird will get off the ground after a few more stops. It's so full of seeds right now, I am betting a bigger box will be needed before it gets back to Susie. We might need a 2nd round just to use up what's in the nest. To add to the excitement, Kim's box from the unique flower seed exchange arrived today, all with Latin names. I'll get an education looking up some of these seeds.

A HUGE thank you to all who sent seeds to Deejay before the Robin started her flight. I appreciate being a part of my very first Round Robin.

Mary

Hi, all.
Susie, that leaf you painted sounds really neat. What a fun project to work on :)
Also, my apologies for the confusion! Please change my guess to Feb 22. (I had to change my guess from Feb 18 to Feb 22 because Feb 18 is a holiday).
Midwestfarmwife, sounds like you had lots of fun with all those seeds :) Oh, and remember not to post the confirmation number to the list. Dmail it to Susie instead.
Michelle

GM Yes love the fall Colors Just not the cold that turns them :) going to be in the 70*'s for a couple days so hope to finish my triming.
TY Mary For Posting & Please Just DMAIL THE Confs # to me . & Yes later when it gets to the North west We will Put up a New thread
So if you want to go through the robin once again you can do so.

I wentt out to the PUMPKIN Farm with my sister Sunday & They had BANANA Squash So yes I planned to go back this week to get some cider so will try a squash also :) They are HUGE . so would love your Recipes.

Yes i have had that leave for a couple yrs just now got around to painting it turned out very nice since I'm NOT A Crafter :)))
well i have 2 boxes to work on so you all have a great day

susie

GM once again I Just opened an Note from CRIS316 That she just had surgery & thought it best to drop out for this ROBIN ,
So if you would like to change your GUESS You May just remeber we also Hve many reasons for the robin to get side tracked .
TY Cris for letting me know & Wish you a SPEEDY RECOVERY.

SUSIE

Thanks for letting us know, Susie. Cris is a such wonderful lady.

Did someone mention earlier hey have seeds for Easter Eggplant, Easter Egg Plant? I'm looking for a few.
Solanum melongena: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2017/

Also collected Amaranthus cruentus 'Velvet Curtain' seeds today and expect there will be more if any of you would like to give it a try: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/71460/

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey fruity...how much of that ya got...lol?

Saginaw, MI

Hello, Fruity-- I got some easter egg plant seeds from another member here on DG and actually divided them in half with deejay9 and have about 30 seeds left--will split them in half and send you some !! Will get them out tomorrow for you!

Shirley

Lots but you knew that, didn't ya? You know you want a pinch, Kathy! Of the 25 seeds bought on eBay I shared most of them, but the few plants I grew have produced roughly 300 seeds so far and am still collecting. The "shake onto a paper plate method" worked like a charm.

You're a peach, Shirley! Thanks so much :)

I've asked this question before but didn't get an answer. In addition to collecting Zinnia seeds from the top core of spent blooms, are those also seeds around the bottom set of petals? They sure look like it to me.....arrow-shaped and are much larger than those harvested from the cores.

Am also collecting seeds from a Red Salvia. This one is an annual. I looked through the baggie of empty seed packs that were planted in June, trying to find a name, but came up empty handed and must not have saved the pack. There are about 6 plants like this one. Photo is early October.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

It's hard to believe another year is quickly coming to an end. Our Annual Christmas swap is now open and you're all invited to participate.....the more the merrier!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285685/

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Fruit, here's something I read and saved from another thread:
Zen_Man, Ottawa KS, Z5b: There are two basic kinds of zinnia seeds, the petal seeds at base of the zinnia petals, and the floret seeds at the base of the pollen florets (the fuzzy yellow "starfish" looking things with 5 or 6 arms). The petal seeds have a chance of being cross pollinated by bees, but the floret seeds are mostly selfed by their own pollen. When I am sorting out zinnia seeds from the chaff, I usually drop the petal seeds in one cup and the floret seeds in a separate cup, and package them separately. Petal seeds have a fairly consistent look, but floret seeds occur in several different forms. Both kinds can yield nice zinnia plants. Commercial zinnia packets make no attempt to separate petal seeds from floret seeds, and contain both kinds mixed together.

THANK You Pam for sharing that Info , well been up since 3 am with sore throat, stuffy sinus head cold can hardly motivate right now .
so Looks as this day is going to be spent wasted in bed with Liquids , & can ya believe it is the last 70* day of the year .
There is still so much I would like to do out side . ok no crying I got it so just have to deal with it .
I hope the rest of you will have a better day , I don't have the conf# so Not sure where our Robin is but it should have landed yesterday or today @ OBLIQUA--in----PA .

PLEASE When the Robin Lands Post to let us KNOW & Then POST When you send it off again , This is the fun Part of the robin for us to Keep track . well off to check other messages & Then lay back .

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I guess March 21st.

Pittsburgh, PA

Received the box yesterday when I got home from work at 8:00 p.m. Just opened it, and I am overwhelmed!!!! Wow!!!

I will get in back in the mail Saturday.

I will spend this day full of seeds! It is supposed to get into the 80's today.

Thanks.

Judy

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Judy I can trade with ya, I got snow and more later today...guess I got a few days off....

Jamestown, OH

For those who wonder what to do with all their winter squash, here is something I did that should work with any orange winter squash. If you grow the Jumbo Pink Banana Squash, you will REALLY have lots to prepare. Cut up the Banana Squash to fit in a large roasting pan - of course you know to save the seeds. I have 2 of these pans that fit in my large capacity oven. Put a little water in the pan to keep it from scorching. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hr., or just long enough so you can scoop out the squash. Mine went into a large mixing bowl ( or several) to cool in the fridge. Measure out 2 C. and put into pt. freezer bags. I have used it for pumpkin bread and iced pumpkin cookies - yummy! I don't think it works so good for pumpkin pie, unless you want to puree it.

You might have a favorite pumpkin bread recipe, but here is what I use:

Grandma's Pumpkin Bread

3 1/2 C. sifted flour
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
3 1/4 C. sugar

Mix together and add:
4 eggs (preferably farm fresh)
2/3 C. water
1 C. melted butter
2 C. heirloom winter squash (if frozen, thaw in fridge overnight)

Optional:
1 1/2 C. chopped nuts (we like pecans)
1 1/2 C. raisins

Mix and pour into 3 well greased and floured loaf pans, or 2 large and several small ones. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hr. for large loaves and about 1/2 hr. for small loaves ( I insert a toothpick in center to test).

Enjoy!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yummmmmm!!! got it written down, now I need to find some squash, hey can I substitute Zuchinni squash and any ideas if it changes the taste? Neighbor gave me a bunch of over grown ones and I usually shred and freeze for quick bread thru the winter....

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I stuff overgrown zucchini. My dad taught me how to do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.