ORVG # 195: Racing towards fall

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

What an accomplishment! And what a hoot, Sue. I could hear Cosell, btw.

I'm waking up briefly to take some more antibiotics. Now I'm on three! I ended up having to have a general anesthesia because they were afraid that the local wouldn't work well enough because of the infection. It certainly hurt plenty by the time I got back home. Not too bad now, but I have to go back later today to get it looked at again.

That's it for here right now. Looking forward tomore Adventures of Lucy the wonder dog!

Pat

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Pat, I am glad that you got the hand looked at, and they did the surgery before it became an emergency. Hope that you are not in much pain and that the antibiotics work quickly to get the infection all cleared up.

I had my check up with my surgeon yesterday. I was so grumpy by the time I finally saw her, I complained and complained. Anyway she said that I was healing nicely and I have an appointment to go back in 3 weeks, hopefully to be disicharged.

good morning
Pat and Bonnie good to hear that the two of you are both mending . Sending healing thoughts to you both.
rain and wind here today.
apple pie filling day and more sauce. this time i m using winesap, ida red, and granny
may do some red hot apples too. you know the ones wtih the candies.
wish i had some brandy and i could make some brandied apples.... those are good too

anyone who cans apple pie filling ?
question
mine is super thick ! normal ? i knew it would be thick but yikes . ii used Clear Gel.
followed the recipe but man this is glue thick
have a great day everyone

Sue, have never made it, so can't help with the question. When you buy the canned pie filling in the store, it is super thick too, so maybe that is normal. When I make a fresh fruit pie, I always add about 2 TBS of tapioca and it thickens it just fine.

Went to church today and did some light cleaning. Mainly the kitchen. Hate it when people use the kitchen and leave things out on the counters. Took Mr. B with me, and the way he was sniffing around, I suspect we have mice. So gonna get some DCon and get it put out over the weekend.

Only other thing I did was 3 loads of laundry, and did some cooking. So boring.

I did end up making it , but i think the apples are to soft for baking . I like Al Dente.
good thing i only did 8 pints. so no real waste.
i am off to the apple orchard

Waddy, KY

When I make the filling I use tapioca. It is pretty firm. I think your Ida Reds made it mushy. They're more of an apple butter/sauce apple. Lovely flavor but they are pretty soft. Still I think your filling will be quite tasty.

Got 3 batches of green tomato relish salted down last night. Got to get it draining. Baked this morning but just couldn't get moving. I think the dreary looking skies have slowed me down. Motivation has gone out the window. Last night I just couldn't bring myself to do any market baking. Didn't mind frying fish or making cornbread or chopping all the tomatoes, peppers and onions, just didn't want to bake breads. I hate to see the money slow down but I need a little break from bread pans, or at least a slow down.

Yes that must be it. since i dod a mixture of three kinds. Ok back to the drawing board. or back to grannys fer sure. I have never used tapioca ?
i get Clear Gel... i do love tapioca pudding
Janet hope you can get some break from bread making. Is your bread popular at the markets ?
i agree the dreary days dd make a slow day for me also
we did 150 gals of cider today... im pooped.
going over to cookies tomorrow wth the kids.
Pat sure hope your hand is feeling better
Bon's how is your day going ?
anyone hear from Chelle ? saw some great pics of FB of the kids and soccer .

Waddy, KY

Making the breads won't completely stop as I'll have at least one market going all winter but it will drop off to the point that there will be some days I won't have to bake at all. I didn't bake last night and another night this week and one morning and I've been cutting back on the batches when I do. I just like to switch up sometimes. Right now I'm in the mood to make the green tomato relish and want to get it in jars before I loose the tomatoes.

Haven't heard from Chele in a long time. I hope things are going ok and she's just busy. Sometimes I read stuff here and think I'll reply later and later just gets away from me.

One good thing on the house front. I'm getting one of our carpenters to come do a little work as soon as he can work us in. The front needs to be jacked up. Funny, you'd think a 100 year old house would be through settling. DH say yesterday to do what I wanted and he'd figure out how to pay for it. He'd better be careful. I could see $8000 in heating and cooling coming down the pike. Those weaned calves may go to market sooner than later if that happens. I'm testing the waters here to see which way the current is flowing.

Pat how's the hand doing. It sure sounds a whole lot worse than what you made it sound like originally. Take care of it. He only gave us two.

Bonnie, you out there?

Yes, Janet I am here. Been thinking of you, and every night say I am gonna call and plan a day for lunch. We will get that done.

I went to the rheumatologist today, and he is doubling my meds. I have toe joints that are beginning to be affected by the arthritis and it is getting very painful to even walk. It is in the big toe and the one next to it, and they are beginning to turn and rub one another, swollen joints ach! He suggested I go back to the podiatrist and have some more orthotics made which put the pressure of walking on the arch rather than the ball of the foot. So guess I will do that and see if that helps. I am not liking this getting old. Too many parts are refusing to work like they should!

Pat how is the hand? I sure hope that you aren't experiencing pain and that it is healing. I know typing one handed is not fun, so we will just assume that our prayers are working.

Sue, I know you will enjoy the day with Cookie tomorrow. I am hoping that your apple cider days are numbered. I know you like it, but hope that it is soon over for you.

I need to go to the library and the Dollar Store tomorrow, and will do some cooking for Sunday dinner. I just cannot go to church and come home and get something on the table before 1:00 or after, and I am usually starved.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the prayers n good thoughts. They're working,tho its still pretty hard to type. New antibiotics really seem to be working. I think I should probably have waited one more day to go the ER or gone sooner to the hand doctor. Today I can bend my index finger part way, big progress!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just caught up with everyone here. I moved my bookmarks and kept forgetting to check back with you all. I also was behind on Facebook and just saw a post from Stacey's (Floridian's) sister, Janet, written 9/30:

To all my friends from ChS and Dave's Garden, I want to thank-you for your donations and prayers for my sister's husband, Paul. Paul quietly passed away early this morning. The way I am dealing with this loss, is Stacey was waiting for him and when Paul passed this story has come full circle. xo

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 11:26 PM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 11:28 PM

Thanks Kim, that is sad, but as the post said Stacey was waiting for him.

Hi GW. I m sorry to hear of the loss of your friends sisters DH. I don't know the whole story so i hope i don't say anything wrong . But i am sending healing thoughts to the family.
How is your Emma doing ? i got backed up on the s tory on FB. She got another infection ? or is she healing up good and feeling better .
Pat good to hear you can bend the index finger. Just be careful how you bend it LOL :)
Bonnie that just sucks on the toes ? . Ouch. Sending healing thoughts to your toes :) I stopped eating gluten and it has helped me.... well ok Oreo's are still in the diet plan LOL i can only do so much .
i m drinking big coffee today !

Thumbnail by

Sue that is a BIG coffee! I have heard some good things about the Digest Diet and will investigate a little further and see if I think that it will help my arthritis. It, of course is worse in colder weather, so guess the winter will really tell me how extensive it is and how I need to proceed.

Pat, good thing about the finger. Sure hope that complete healing is forthcoming, and that you can begin to beckon your DS or yard workers, or single eligible men, or whomever with that finger before long. As Sue said, just be careful in exercising it, you may have to put up with people you really don't want!

hehehehe
It is hard to go gluten free... can't believe how many things have gluten ! yikes. I also look for MSG . that makes me itch ans swell.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

I have had sporadic difficulties with my hips or knees , and sometimes find stairs daunting - nothing predictable or too incapacitating. But I finally decided to go to this chiropractor that a friend has recommended highly (first time ever) - I wanted to put a name to what I had, and to know what to do.

He says he mainly does acupuncture, so in for a penny, in for a pound. Another first for me. He said I had degenerative arthritis, spine is okay and I do not have a shorter leg. (I also can stop wondering about bursitis, sciatic nerves, pyriformis syndrome........) He recommended that I avoid bread and pasta, as they cause inflammation.

Its been 2 days and I am amazed that my limbs feel more like they used to be years ago. I may become a convert yet.

Esther, I am a believer in chiropractic. I have never had accupuncture, so you may have to make a convert of me.

Not feeling well tonight, so I think I am heading to bed shortly. Feels like a cold, so I have taken some Ziacam and hoping that I can avoid it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the finger-bending advice, lol-- I actually had to stop typing the post I was making because my bandage got stck and ripped part of the scab off OUCH. The finger swelled up again but not as bad as before. Amazing how much I can complain about one lousy digit!

Pat

But Pat, one lousy digit can be extra painful. When I had to have my thumb operated on, it was a complete handicap for me. Couldn't do much without a thumb on my right hand. Even had to have help zipping jeans, and don't even think about fastening a snap on the jeans. DH was so glad when it was healed well enough that I could do those things for myself.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Emma's got something going on causing some extra inflammation. There's some radiolucency around a couple of the screws in her leg. It could be movement, or it could be she's got an infection in there. The surgeon says everything's stable because the other screws are holding the hardware in place and she's forming new bone and healing up. But, there's a chance that, in a few months, she'll need to have the hardware removed. In the meantime, she's back taking ciprofloxacin for several weeks.

I spent the evening vacuuming an infestation of something out of our pantry. We had dog kibble that had fallen onto the shelf and floor of our pantry and today I saw there were critters in it. YUCK. I had to take everything out of there and vacuum the heck out of it. There are still stragglers coming out of the woodwork, literally. I'm beside myself. :P

What do you think...Carpet beetle larvae? Sorry it's blurry, but I had the nasty little things in a plastic bag and they were still moving around when I scanned them on the flatbed scanner!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

A couple more photos. Yuck. :P

Thumbnail by gardenwife Thumbnail by gardenwife
Waddy, KY

I'm betting that it's one of those corn weevil larvae, Most dog food has some corn or wheat in them and those moths will show up if you leave it on the shelf long enough. Don't have time to look those little beauties us but I bet it's some sort of flour weevil.

Markets yesterday were damp and too cool. Really glad I left on my long johns. Nobody wants to come out when the sun isn't shining and I also think they were getting ready for ball games so things were off. Came home and made some pear preserves. Got the rest to do this morning. I found a recipe for pear raspberry, pear pineapple and spiced caramel pear jam that I'm going to try. Everybody likes variety.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry to be away so long.
Benn shooting the last of the butterfly pics and trying to edit about 5,000 shots I have on Flickr.

Herman try a Pandoras Sphinx Moth for your ID.

Pat I hope that tendon clears up quickly!

Not a big fan of Chiropractors or their advise.
Had a few insurance scam run in's w/ them.
BTW Everybody has one leg shorter than the other and a mal-formed spine...lol!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/curious/200909/when-is-chiropractic-care-scam-what-about-reflexology-magnetic-therapy

Went to Joyce's Family Bonfire last evening.
Love to hang out w/ her crew and MAN can they cook!

We had a great time too. kids had a blast too. Oh Lucy was very very brave until Billy came LOL she just wasn't sure about him ?
yes food was yummy !
went to JJ's wth Cookie today. went over budget but got good cheese and some himalyan see salt yumo.
got my sushi fix in also
Pat why is it our fingers are the ones that hurt the most ? .
Poor Emma she sure has a go around with her leg. She sure is a trooper . :)
Bonnie sure hope the cold don't get any worse for you. you sure don't need that to knock you down on the couch .
beautiful day today sunny and warm.

I am here, well the extra zinc I got in the Ziacam and the rest I got evidently was enough to thwart the cold. Felt find when I got up this morning. Had a good lay on the couch and rest this afternoon, as DH went to a birthday party for a 100 year old friend, then on to see his DB who is back in the hospital. I think this was just what the Dr ordered for me.

I did go get the DBIL's dog, and she is here again. I had her for over a week when he first had surgery, she acted very happy to be back again. I do have to watch her, as she has never been allowed to go out unsupervised, so I put her on her tie down, and she is as happy as a lark.

This coming week is so busy, I will probably meet myself coming and going. I just finished a rough draft of my sermon for next Sunday, will get that typed up and do a little run through. Then on Wednesday the church is having a weiner roast. We thought the weather was going to be cooler, but turns out the WL's are saying it will be in the 80's on Wednesday night. I went out this afternoon and cut the little limbs that we will use to roast the hot dogs, and have them soaking in water. DH has the wood, and all we need to do it take the straw bales, and get the fire going.

Then on Saturday, it is our annual fish fry. I had a person hired to work in my place, but I hear by way of gossip, that might have fallen through. We will see. Then after the sermon on Sunday, and getting dinner and the fish fry mess cleaned up, I need to throw some clothes in a suit case as we are heading out on Monday morning for a trip to Northern Ohio for a few days. I certainly will be ready for a few days away.

Ric and Sue, sounds like you had a good time at Cookies. Isn't it nice to just be able to sit back and relax and have a good time with good friends?

Well, getting sleepy so it is time for me to head to bed.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you will be more than ready for a few days away, Bonnie. What's the sermon topic this time around?

I went to see the movie "Argo" today, about a formerly classified CIA operation to get some US Embassy personnel out of Iran after they'd escaped the general roundup when the Embassy was taken over in 1979. It was very good-- well acted, intense but with some humorous moments thrown in as well, since the cover story was that they were a Canadian film crew there to scout locations for a sci-fi movie. The fact that it's a true story makes it all the more amazing.

Bengals lost tonight, which I expected. I don't really follow sports much, but the continual disappointment with the Cincy teams is even getting to me! PArticularly the Bengals, since I'm being taxed to pay for the Cereal Bowl stadium. Just a touch grumpy tonight, I guess.
Off to take my 2 antibiotics. One of them is a huge pill that immediately dissolves into sludge when it hits my mouth. Just delightful. Dr. appt again Mon afternoon.

Pat

good morning
Pat take care of the hand. Sorry to hear about the Bengels. To funny on the cereal bowl stadium LOL
Giants are on a winning streak have no kept up but got some tid bits on there winnings. Got to stay wth my home team.
Bonnie take care you sound busy , hope it isn't to much for you . Have a great rest in N,Ohio. sounds like a nice time.
off to orchard and pressing cider

Pat the sermon topic is "the Parable of the Lost", covering the lost coin, lost sheep and the prodigal son. The point is the joy that is experienced when a "lost item/person" is found. I will give it a run through today to check for time.

Gonna straighten the house do laundry and then I have a beauty shop appointment at 1:30, for the works. Color, cut syle. I am long overdue.

Waddy, KY

Sunny morning here. So many things I should be doing but I think I'm going to Harrodsburg for lunch with a friend. We've cancelled this 4 times already because of either her doctors appointments or sickness so I'm hoping that this one is a go. If it's not there's plenty here to do. Was in the house most of the day yesterday scalding most of the last of the ripe tomatoes. I think there's maybe two more crates out in the shop. Did two batches of salsa and canned up the batch of chow chow that was already made up. I need to be digging potatoes but I think the ground is still too wet. Need to check with my Dad as to that today. I also want to get the porch painted at the other house. Does anyone know how cold it can be outside and still be ok to paint? I'm thinking that maybe tomorrow or Thursday I can at least get a primer coat in it. I absolutely HATE to paint but I don't see any little painter elves popping out of the hollow tree to give me a hand on this one. Better get moving if I'm going to make Harrodsburg by 12:00

i got some projects done today
chicken coop is over wintered .
all rabbits and show chickens are in the GH. FIL and i sectioned it off with some plastic . nothing fancy just a drape style job.
got some junk cleaned up in basement and vacumed basement floor
still got plenty to do to get ready for winter
still got crocus and tulips to get in Gigi's garden . hope to do that thursday.
tomorrow another work day , i will bring home 1 bushel of granny apples. to play with .

Columbus, OH

Working on projects here, too. Trying to figure out a tattoo to go around my bone marrow donation site. Everyone suggest the ribbon, I want something more cool.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I didn't know you had donated bone marrow, but Hooray for you!

Have you seen the famous poster "The Warrior" from several years ago, of a woman who had a mastectomy and had the scar tattooed? She's exuberantly standing on a hill, arms out-stretched, hair flowing in the breeze... with a tattoo where her right breast was. Fantastic picture!
http://www.fawi.net/BC/heroines.html

Celene, good to "see" you. I don't do tattoos, but I agree, if it is commemorating a bone marrow donation, it needs to be something way cool.

Janet, did you make it to Harrodsburg to lunch with your friend? Sounds good.

Sue, you did get a lot accomplished today. I am sure that your appreciate your FIL so much for helping you out. I know I would. Oh, what will you make with the Granny Smith apples? They are so good for pies.

Pat, how is the hand doing? Sure hope that the antibiotics are clearing up the infection and you soon will be good as new.

tomorrow is grocery day. Today I went out and bought $100 worth of stuff for the Christmas Child project for church. DH and I are doing a boy and girl, and this was in addition to a monthly purchase. Overall, we probably have bought $250 total.

maybe a Phoenix ? sign of rebirth kinda thing going
or maybe a celtic knot sign for everlasting love
maybe a string of lotus blossoms
good morning
Bonnie will be making all kind of things wth the grannys pie, sauce, drying.

Columbus, OH

Sue, I have a larger lotus tattoo on my back (not a tramp stamp), so a little one might be nice. I don't *think* you can tattoo over the actual scar, but it's not large, about 1/2" roundish?

I donated 12-18-94, for a baby. He's in college now. lol

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Celene, that just makes me smile. You are a hero!

I'm sure you'll come up with just the right thing.

Think I'll be having a busy day today. Need to try to get the pond ready for winter...sigh.. what a job. At least the weather will be good for it!

Waddy, KY

Oh I can get so irritated with this computer! I had a fairly long post all typed out here and was going merrily along and poof! I hit something and gone forever. I wish we had a save button here that we could hit ever so often on stuff like that!

Now for the abridged version: Made it to Harrodsburg for a nice lunch and then proceeded to buy every pint and jelly jar that was between here and there. I should have been stocking up earlier in the year but didn't take the time except when Big Lots had a 20% off sale. I'm not sure I'm going to have enough jars to finish all the stuff that's in the freezer.

Also had supper with some of the women that I graduated with from high school. I've started seeing them here in the last year. Until then there wasn't much contact. Interesting bunch. 5 of us are still on our first marriages. One never married and a couple have had multiple marriages. Always picked the wrong guy. One of them thinks she has Mr. Right now and the other has sworn off men.

Ric, are we going to see any pictures? They're bound to be good. You have a great eye.

Pat, is the had doing any better?

Sue, wish I had some Granny Smith. The fellow that sells me apples has a few but he saves them for his market customers. Best I can hope for are some winesaps.

Celene, can't get into tattoos but am getting used to seeing them everywhere. Pick a pretty one.

Going to town to get the paint remixed. I'm hoping they'll tell me that I can put it on with a roller and an extension pole. Since it's a porch floor it sure would make things go faster.

Later y'all

Columbus, OH

Because of where they take the marrow, it's not a tattoo that will likely be seen by most folks, it's on my hip. Joyce, it's sweet that you think I'm a hero, but the truth is it wasn't all that bad. The first day was ouchy, after that it was all about weird food cravings for a couple of weeks.

Back from the grocery and it is a gorgeous day out there. Getting all the stuff ready for the wiener roast tonight, I'm getting excited.

Happy Birthday Esther!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.