ORVG # 195: Racing towards fall

Waddy, KY

Today has been the comedy of errors. Now it turns out that the vet got the fresh cow in the headchute and of course she'd calved. And DH, when he walked up, didn't notice that the vet had the wrong cow. Made the vet come back later today and check the right cow. Now we're back to the twins and the other cow hasn't calved yet. I don't know if I can stand much more of this.

Made some habanero gold jelly today. The dried apricots have turned dark from being exposed to the air so it's not as golden as it should be. There's a woman at market that says she wants several pints so I hope that's so because I've got 12 pints for her. Did the rest up in half pints.

Went to Lawrenceburg to pick up some daylilies I'd bought at Kirchhoff and Morss earlier in the summer. Had to hurry up and get home as I had the vehicle that they feed with, otherwise I'd probably still be there talking to David. Such an engaging personality. Got home and everyone wanted to know if there was going to be supper. Ticked me off just a little. They did get supper but the potatoes weren't mashed and nothing was taking out of the pots. If they wanted it there it was. And I've decided they can darned well do the dishes.

Joyce, congrats on 32 years. There's a heck of a lot of compromise in the time from where to said "I do" to now hasn't there been?

Sue, you're thinking of Jess keeps her with you. I sometimes look at the garden or something out in the field and think of my grandfather. Sometimes I just have to hear the windchimes. Then there are times I think of things that my grandmother said or the way my father-in-law used to look at DH with a pained expression and click his dentures. Makes me smile right now just typing this out. There's a lot of comfort in those memories.

I think I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is going to be here early.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good evening. Had a busy busy day today. Grocery day, and it was senior day at Kroger and just packed. I went to Lowe's and picked out the laminate that I will be putting in my house. They came to measure yesterday. I am putting a medium colored or honey oak in the bedrooms and a very rustic cedar in the living room and hallway. I don't think DH is really wanting two different types, but he is not the decorator here, so he will just have to live with it. Besides, he is color blind and probably wouldn't notice the difference in color, but I am sure the texture will give it away.

Janet, gosh, that is funny about the cows, but what is funnier, is that it doesn't sound like he is much of a farmer. Tell him to get back to the office, and you will run the farm plus the truck garden operation. With the help of the girls you will do just fine. Hope the vet only charges for one trip, which is dreaming!

I think Marcy's computer died, so that is probably why she isn't able to post. Hope you told her Hi from me.

Sue, You will do that from time to time thinking you need to call Jesse. My DM has been gone for 6 years, and I still sometimes pick up the phone to call her. Just certain things that trigger something or I think she would enjoy hearing something I just learned. That just means that she is close in my heart and thoughts at times, as is Jesse. Bet she is smiling down on you!

Well surgery is back on again. Next Tuesday. DH had planned a trip out of town, so told him to go ahead, and I would get a friend to drive me. Would probably be gone a couple of hours, so no big deal. Have to go Friday for preop,

Tomorrow, I have several more paper work things to get done.

Need to get started toward the bedrooms, my eyelids are not being cooperative!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, there's always something, huh? Hope everything goes well with the surgery.

Yes, 32 years of compromise, that's a fact. I always like to tell what my Dad said about being married for 72 years. He said that when they got married they decided that Dad could make all the BIG decisions and Mother would make all the others. He said so far, there hadn't been any big decisions! ^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL, Joyce, abt the BIG decisions, and the necessity of compromise. My ex and I were not too good abt compromise. When there was a situation where he told me to make the decision, and he would support whatever I chose, the support turned out to be a lot of griping. And guess what: I was the same way! I think I was meant to live alone.

My wrist is acting up again. I had to drive to Fairfield for my GP doctor appt, and it aggravated it once again. Went to Jungle Jim's to get some apples, but even Jim couldn't come up with anything other than the usual Kroger-type varieties. Dang!

Bonnie, hope all goes well with your surgery, you've got extra prayers coming your way.

Pat

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Pat, I hope your wrist gets better quickly. I had that wrist pain and it is not pleasant. It seems to hoover in the forefront of your mind all the time. Mine turned out to be arthritis in the thumb joint which is right in the wrist. I can have surgery for it , but that is " a maybe in the future" thing until I get my leg straightened out. The hand surgeon was honest about it and said surgery would eliminate the pain but I would still have bad hands do the RA in the tip joints of all my fingers.

Bonnie, hope all goes well with the surgery. Let us all know as soon as you feel like it. Prayers for you going upward.

Lurker Lou

Just in from the Dr appointment the pre op stuff and a visit to DH's DB who had open heart surgery yesterday. I need something to eat now but will try to come back and talk some more later.

thanks for the kind words. sure feels weird at times.
Joyce congrats
Bonnie hope things are well with you. sounds like nice colors
Pat hope your wrist heals soon.
Lou hope things are well with you.
we are off to a poultry show in lucusville , won't be home until sunday
see you soon
sue

Well, after posting that I was okay with DH not being with me on Tuesday, my attitude has changed, and I am just really hurt that he thinks a horse pull is more important than I am. I have a neighbor who is taking me to the hospital on Tuesday morning, and I am sure that I will be fine, but just got to thinking about all the times I have taken him, stayed for days on end with him, spent almost 7 weeks with him at the hospital after an accident, only going home to get a shower and clean clothes, lived through his nervous breakdown, numerous ER visits at night, and then he can act like this is nothing at all?

Lou, I am hoping that your leg is doing better, and that you will be all healed up to head into winter. I know it is a good time to recouperate, but I like to hibernate and do lots of reading etc, and I need to be well to do that.

Sue, enjoy your poultry show. I know the kids will.

Pat, I think some people are better suited to being alone, than being married. I have been asked to fill a pulpit on the 28th, so hope that I am back on my feet and feeling good by then. No other news on the black church yet though! Think it was one of those empty questions from that guy.

Janet, hope that all is going well at your place. I hope the comedy of errors was just a day long thing, and not something that will crop up on a regular basis.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, have have you told Wayne how you feel? Maybe he's thinking that you are just fine with him not being there. If you let him know, then maybe he'll cancel his nag thing! ;o)

Waddy, KY

Really, I'm beginning to think I live at the funny farm zoo. They were out last night in the dark with the disc mower and tractor trying to get through the pastures cutting all the Johnson grass because those people who get paid big bucks to be wrong said it would probably frost out here last night. Of course it was 44 degrees this morning. I sometimes wish I had a normal life where you could sit down and watch TV like all the other couch potatoes in the world. And part of these thoughts are being brought on by the fact that my daughter came in from OK on Thursday night for a wedding and with the exception of Saturday night when we were fixing supper, I barely got to see her. Either I was at market, picking something or she was at her activities. Not fair. And then there was a friend that came in from MI. She had a ton of things to do but had dinner Saturday evening with one of our former co-workers. She didn't even bother to ask if I could come because she figured I was busy. I wouldn't have because it was the only time I'd had with DD but it would have been nice to have been asked. Ok, that's my whine for the day.

Bons, are you going to feel up for lunch of Thursday after this procedure? It's ok if we need to put it off for a week or longer. I certainly understand your thoughts about DH going with you to the hospital. I suspect I'd feel the same way. If he'd told me that there was 30 acres of hay on the ground and rain was coming in, I'd have absolutely no problem with him not going. I understand those sort of things, but if he'd told me he was going to the Farm Machinery Show or to some auction just to see what's selling, that would be a whole nuther ball o'wax.

Sue, I remember all those cattle shows that I so loved as a kid. I know now what a PIA it was for my father to drop what he was going, hook up the trailer and take a day away from necessary work to drag me to the shows. There wasn't any time he told me no though. Relax and have a good time with the kids. They'll remember it forever.

Pat, how's the wrist? Hope it's coming along. As for married or not. I know two couples that's been married twice. They got along better when they weren't married than when they were. What's the difference? Don't know but they must equate that ring around the finger with a noose around the neck.

Took lamb to market this weekend and it was wonderfully received. Now Miranda wants us to buy another 32 ewes and a ram. I'm certainly not against it but right now I just don't have $6500 laying around the house to put on these animals. She said she'd go in halves with us but I still don't want to do it this year. I want in my house. Plain and simple and I doubt that I'm going to see it this year either because other stuff just keeps getting in the way. Oops. I'm whining again.

Better get my butts going. Need to pick some more green tomatoes. Also got tomatoes to scald, a bushel of corn to shuck and cut off the cob and there's a batch of apple butter in the fridge that needs to be cooked down. Ain't gonna get done with me sitting here.

Have a good one all!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Whew....I need to take a nap now that I read that........ ;o)

Joyce, me too!

Janet, you aren't going to live long enough to enjoy retirement and getting in your house.

I think we had better postpone lunch until the following week. The older I get the slower I bounce back.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I appreciate them.

I think i will follow up with a nap also whew .
don't worry about whining , i often find myself enjoying your stories of what you did today . I like animal and farm talk LOL :) of course i don't do it for a living .
Yes i know those will be memories to keep . We have another one in two weeks. i think ? have to check iwth Tim to see if funds are available to go .
BOnnie good luck on the surgery.
Pat how are you doing with the wrist ?

Waddy, KY

Well girls, day isn't going to be long enough. Just got the corn cut off the cob and 5 of those black crates of green tomatoes picked. We do poop out after about that much. What I wanna get done and what gets accomplished are two different things.

Janet, with all you do, I surely wouldn't want to cook supper after a day like you have had!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the concerns about my wrist. Now I have a dilemma: I just got a pretty good bid on some cement work which would extend the patio and get a couple steps in so that people could come and go more easily to the back gate, AND would then be able to be extended out to the future swimming pool. Weather permitting, they could start Wednesday. All good, except it would mean that I need to deconstruct and move a bunch of plants in pots (a lot of BIG pots) that are currently ensconced where the concrete will be. I can do it, but it will probably set my wrist back again. I'm considering, but I'll probably go for it because it would make life so much easier to have a good surface out there, and steps with a handrail!

Now, on to the truly mundane. All of a sudden no grocery around here is carrying choco bake. Does anyone else use it? It's packets of baking chocolate, made by Nestle, and it's so nice and easy to use. According to the Nestle site, it's still in the Krogers around here, but no such luck.

Not much else going on here except the laundry-- gotta go put in another load. EVerybody take it easy!
Pat

Pat good to hear on the wrist.
good morning
not much going on here just laundry
austin is sick and we both have eye dr apt and i can't miss it ! so sick or not we go .

Got home about 3:00, surgery went well, but it was a longer surgery and more extensive. Don't think I am going to be doing much at all except laying, sitting isn't comfortable, and the pain meds they gave me, made me itch, so none of them. Will call Dr first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your healing thoughts,

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, good to hear things went well. And yes, I imagine that a recliner or the couch looks pretty good. Just take it easy a few days. Is your DS with you?

Got some tomatoes scalded and in the freezer and some apple butter into jars and HWB. I'm suckering DH and DD into snapping the beans as I type. I fixed something that resembled supper and did the dishes. I'm trying to see if I can keep them at it until the crate is finished. Then maybe I can throw them in the jars and pressure cooker tomorrow. Since it's going to probably frost big time tomorrow I want to try to get the last of the tomatoes picked. I picked yesterday at a friends patch. They were taking up the stakes and twine and had a 15 ft batwing mower mowing things off. They took out a row of eggplant that was amazing. There were so many eggplant on the vines the ground was purple with sliced eggplant. Just makes me shake my head but they're focusing on pumpkins and that sort of thing now and for all practical purposes, they're done with summer crops.

Pat, got any "troops" that you could call in to help you move those plants so that the wrist won't get overworked? Chocobake? I'll look at Kroger. I think if you witch enough to them about not carrying something sometimes they'll go ahead and order some. Can't hurt to try can it? I'll look in Frankfort and Shelbyville if I don't forget it. Are we going to need a care package sent if you can't find it up there and we have it down here?

Sue, hope Austin gets to feeling better. I don't know what was the matter with me yesterday. I felt like I had acid reflux all day yesterday and by eight last night was down for the count. Went to bed at 9 and barely heard DH come in from checking the cows. Felt loads better today thankfully.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie,
Good tooo have you safe at home again. I agree with Janet-- rest up!

Janet, I had to go and look up batwing mowers--- looks just like it sounds. Pretty amazing.
I did so some work outside today. I bangdaged up my bum wrist pretty well, and just stopped using it when it hurt. I still have stuff to do. Irritatingly, all the kids in this neighborhood are either too young or too old to do chores for pay, or cookies, or both. I need to cultivate some new friendships with the guys at the halfway house.

Geez, now the dog needs out. Not much time for typing today.
Pat

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat, when I checked yesterday Choco Bake is available at Amazon, but you have to pay postage.

Hoping and praying everyone will be healing up and resting and taking care of themselves.

Pat I sure hope that you can get someone to help with moving the plants and save your poor wrist. Sometimes you don't think you are using it that much, but it turns out that you use any body part more than what you think. One time I had tennis elbow on the left arm, and the Dr tried everything, finally he put my whole arm in a cast from shoulder to fingers, fixed so that I could take it off to shower then put it back on, and walla, it did heal. I was using it more than what I realized. Now I don't advocate that drastic measure, but I was just relating my experience.

Janet, have you had a good check up lately? I don't like the sound of acid reflux as hard as you work. Don't let yourself be fooled, those symptoms could be your heart. I would love to have you around for a long long time, so take a friend's advice and slow down, or at least get a good physical so that I can rest easy about you.

DS and his SO were here with me all day. I was bullied into being on the couch reading or watching tv all day, except for the shower I took and my 3 scheduled sitz baths. They went to the grocery and then came back and cooked a nice dinner. All I had to do was get to the table, then back to the couch when I had eaten! I could get used to that treatment.

Just took a pain pill, and I am off to bed shortly. I got a new prescription but have only taken 2 of the pills. I have to be in a lot of pain to take them. Tylenol is about all I usually take.

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, haven't had an overall check up for a bit. The blood pressure is always low and the last time the cholesterol was low too. Usually just have the below the belt annual. But your thought did occur to me. Had a GXT and EKG before they took my gall bladder out I guess 3 years ago but no heart stuff since. If it happens again we'll be having it checked out.

Got all the green tomatoes I'm picking in the cooler yesterday. Now it's time to start the green tomato relish. At least while they're in the cooler they won't ripen as fast and I can get some of it done without killing myself. The beans hopefully will go in the jars today. Need to go to town and get the apples for market. Went to the grocery yesterday coming back from picking tomatoes, of course didn't have the list and forgot a couple of things.

Got to run. Just got a call that one of the bull's in the cemetary.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Now that's phrase you don't hear too often: " The bull's in the cemetery." Good luck, Janet!

Bonnie, glad you're healing up and getting waited on a bit. Perhaps your recent surgeries would be a good reason to institute some changes at home when DH returns. I know you're right about using the wrist even when I don't think I am. I think I'm going to start wrapping it every night, too, so I don't end up sleeping on it wrong, too.

Got the cement work starting outside tomorrow. Going to extend the patio and have a ramp put in to make it easier to get to the yard and the pool-to-be. I got most of the stuff that I could move done, the rest will be up to the concrete crew.

Esther, thanks about the chocobake tip. I saw a couple of places online that I could order it. The irritating thing is that Kroger is one of the accounts that Dunn Humby (the consumer satisfaction company Josh works for) has. I keep complaining that they never call me, or I'd give them an earful. Our Kroger now has some national brands, but they also have 2 store brands: Private Selection and Kroger. Which mean that they have less shelf space for a bigger variety of national brands. But Josh really doesn't have much to do with the Kroger account, so I'm just shouting into the wind.

Sue, how are you guys feeling? Did you get your eyes checked? Hope Austin feels better soon!

Pat

Pat still feeling pretty lousy but just have to much to do
made apple sauce with golden delicious and should have know better......
yes eyes got checked and austin is near sighted . he is feeling better and his voice is coming back. can't say i not missing the quiet LOL
here is our new cochin chickens
this is our male Mr.Klucky

Thumbnail by

Yes, Janet, don't think I have heard "cows are in the cemetery", surely nothing much they could disturb. Usually it is "cows are in the corn", "garden", "road", etc.

Today was a good day, if possible, I am much more sore today than yesterday, hope I am not going backward, instead of making steady progress forward.

Been a good day to work outside, that is IF I could work outside. Just enough chill in the air to make a long sleeved shirt necessary, and not make you hot while you are working.

Sue, what kind of apples do you need to make apple sauce with? It is good that you try to put some things up, if your family really eats apple sauce, beats buying it.

Janet, hope you didn't have a "work so hard that you forget to eat" kind of day. Now, I could stand one every once in awhile!

Lou is your leg feeling better? What is your progress? Hope that you are completely healed and just sitting outside enjoying the weather.

Esther good to see you. I was disappointed when I found out they were not having the Ky RU this year, but understand.

Waddy, KY

All I could see was that bull rubbing his head on 200 year old gravestones and sent them those stones toppling over everywhere. It wouldn't have been well received. It's an absolutely lovely little cemetary that no church actually owns but all the churches in Graefenburg put money in on it's upkeep. It's set on the banks of a creek that feeds the Benson and our "cemetary barn" is truly right behind it. I've always thought that little cemetary was one of the most beautiful around.

Got the beans in the jar yesterday and six gallon of tomatoes in the freezer. Plus a trip to town to get apples. I hate going along with DH because what should take me 45 minutes tops always turns into a 2 hour trip. And he can never do a quick in/quick out and a stop. He has to stand around and shoot the breeze. And men talk about women....

Sue, I take it your applesauce made with Golden Delicious apples stayed chunky? Could you run it through a food mill? I bought one to go on my Kitchenaid mixer and it's the best for apples to make apple butter. Cuts the prep time by 75% for sure. That chicken looks pretty impressive. Never could get too enthused over a chicken though after that old rooster flogged me when I was about 5 years old. He was dumplings for the next night's supper after Dad finished milking.

Cloudy here this morning. Major frost yesterday morning. Going to try to dig a few potatoes. Eventually I'll get done.

Have a good one everyone.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, that's the prettiest chicken I've ever seen! Did you take it to the pet groomer? Bleach it?!? Quite the looker!
Pat

Janet yes i do run it in my cuisinart. so its smooth. just very very bland. Can't imagine why anyone would want or think that is good tasting ? but that is what everyone does here in my parts and i will be a misfit i guess. Maybe that is why i always win at fair ? LOL
still sick but feeling a bit better.

Church and out to lunch afterward today. Rested this afternoon and then took DGD to meet her DM at the halfway point. Feeling pretty good.

Had a storm about 5:30, then warnings about high wind and more storms coming this way. So getting all my posting done before that happens.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

just a quick note here...i have an infection in my left hand, mostly index finger. hurts like hell!!! typing with only one hand not very good. taking antibiotic, n abt to take something for pain.

pat

Sorry pat, hope that you get some relief from the pain soon. How did you get it?

good morning
Pat hope the finger gets better soon for you, sending healing thoughts to you.
Bonnie any wind damage at your place ? how are you mending ? sending healing thoughts to you
Chelle how are the kids doing ? Did you guys get much wind in your area ?
making apple pie filling and sauce again. Got 3 kinds of apples. Stamen winesap, granny and ida red ?
Lou how is your leg doing ? better i hope.
please send some prayers to my family
my aunt died this last month , my cousin's husband passed away last year , the year before her dad. It has been a rough road for her loosing so many close famly members . in such a short time.
well i may also try and get some bulbs in the ground today too... wish me luck on that one LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

sue, it's like the 7 lean years and the seven fat years-- your family is just having the 7 lean ones all compressed into abt 2 years!
I just got back from the hand doctor, and I have to go back and have surgery this afternoon. He said I have an infected tendon but they should be able to wash out the joint capsule & tendon sheath without too much grief. I should be able to pop back home, unless there's some need for IV antibiotics, which would mean hospital.

So, prayers welcome so I can get over this and get back to gardening.

Pat

Oh, Pat just saw this, sending a delayed prayer that everything worked out and you are home and will soon be back to normal.

sending healing thoughts to you Pat.
Yes i guess we are compressing the lean years all into 2 yrs LOL
well we have today folks
Olympic Log Hurdles in the 2012 Doggie Olympics
today we have our contestant Lucy
she will attempt to hurdle over a very very long log at heights no dog has ever seen before !
she listens, she watches oh so carefully, she becomes one with the log
the crowd goes silent

Thumbnail by

SHE HURDLES ! ........ IS SHE STUCK ... ? .,,,,, THE CROWD GOES WILD !!
and the judges claim it ....... it....... it ........ what can her score be folks ?

Thumbnail by

A BIG BIG STICK .... AND THE CROWD GOES WILD ! Lucy wins the Dog Olympics for Log Hurdling .....
Lucy can you tell us what you were thinking of your moment at the right time of your leap ??? ( you have to use Howard Cosells voice or its not that funny )
" i was just wanting my stick " she replies

Thumbnail by

Sue, you are too funny! Lucy deserves her stick and a little treat for going through all of that to get it.

i just wish i had a video recorder , it would have so much more funny to it. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.