ORVG # 195: Racing towards fall

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Has anyone talked to Pat?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

No, hope nothing is wrong.

I haven't even been on the computer today. DH and I decided this morning that we would make a trip to Sam's and we stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrell, then on to Sam;s. By the time we got home it was 1:30 so we just vegged, watched tv and I read a bit, which just naturally turns into a nap. It rained several times today, so really have lost track of how much rain we have gotten since it started yesterday.

Guess I will have to get it in gear tomorrow to make up for a lazy day today.

Kimberly, I am sorry that you are losing your best friend, but that is so nice of them to offer to fund a trip to see them. Yep, February sounds like it would be a good time to escape.

Just saw where it is Melissa's birthday. Since I am so late wishing you a happy birthday, please just celebrate another one!

Barberton, OH

Hi, All. Just a note to let you know I'm still alive.
GW, isn't the Ashery a great place? My wife and I started going to the original in Fredricksburg when we first moved to OH in '92. I haven't been lately because it's just me but I'm trying to get the garden club to go down this fall.

I haven't been posting much, but i do read. My garden is producing more that I can eat and I didn't plant that much. At least the neighbors that don't garden are happy. I don't can. Even a pint goes a long way when it's only one eating. I will be making some pepper jam when the Habeneros get a little riper and raspberry jam if we continue to get some rain, but not too much. We had 1.25 last week and a trace today, but it was a good trace. Soaked right in. The Seascape strawberries I planted last Spring are ripening, but just enough for my morning cereal. Lot more blooms though.

Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Herman, Are you sure you got Seascape?
We planted ours March 29, began getting berries end of May & are picking 3X a week ever since.
As of yesterday we have picked 1350 pints off of 2000 plants.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Barberton, OH

Bernie, My 25 plants don't have the advantage of an automatic watering system. Just me and a bucket when it doesn't rain. Sure beats the June bearers, though. Should continue to bear until frost.
Herman

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody! Chele called me last night to ask me what was up. I've had my houseguest on and off, plus I'm working on a genealogy project for someone with German ancestors in Cincinnati. Off to the library for a couple hours. Making 7 layer salad, now it just needs to sit for awhile. We had an inch of rain Sunday and maybe a half inch yesterday. Still, the grass perked up, the flowers smiled a bit, and I didn't have to water the tomatoes; the Lord did it for me. And I'm grateful!
Pat

I tackled paperwork today. Had a bunch for the church, and then my own bill paying and checkbook balancing. My DH really made it hard to understand our checking account. He paid the field workers for his DB's tobacco out of our account and didn't tell me, so the first I knew was the bank statement that reflected all the cancelled checks. I have scheduled a checkbook balancing seminar when the next bank statement comes. I am not kidding, he will not get up from the table until he knows how to do it.

Tomorrow is grocery day, and DH is left to stay home and wait for the Direct Tv repair person. He is the one who gets upset when it goes out, so only fair that he has that job. I would be satisfied with just a tv antennae and the local channels, as I don't watch that much tv. I am usually reading if I am sitting down. He grumbled about it, but I am sure that he will be here when they come.

Pat, lots of luck on the library research. Hope your guests have been pleasant ones, and not PITA kind!

~~~~ to everybody, getting ready to head down the hall to bed.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just flying through for a quick hello.

Yes, I tracked Pat down. LOL You just have to know where and when to look for her. :P

I'm pretty much living in my car and/or gone about 14 hours a day and trying to find a job. What fun! I'm also trying to sell extra stuff we don't use or need.

Just wanted to copy this from facebook real quick then I'm going to bed!

I took Carly for her 3.5 week post op checkup tonight. Everything looks great! Insurance approved her new ACL brace that she'll be good friends with for the next year. LOL She doesn't have to sleep in the big robo brace anymore. :) And she can go down to only 2 physical therapy sessions a week. Best news of all, only 8 more weeks until she can start getting back into sports.

Everyone take care and be safe. The heat and humidity have been awful. blah!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have to say, it was pretty amusing when Chele called last night. It was late (which is fine with me because I'm still insomniac). But I don't think she was prepared for how busy my house was at that late hour. First my houseguest returned to spend the night after she'd had no luck getting to sleep at home. Then the guy who takes out the trash for us came over. He's manic-depressive, and he's very manic right now, so he was buzzing through with trash questions and music recommendations and mile a minute speech. Pretty busy for a well after midnight scenario.

And, of course, it's 3:30 AM when I'm writing this. I wonder if I'm a vampire and don't know it?
Going back to the library later today to look at microfilms of the German newspapers for wedding and death notices. Cincy had at least three German language newspapers for decades.
End of history lesson. Blessings to everyone!
Pat

Pat good morning to you.
well not much going on here. Started apple orchard job. The mean girl i work with is not there this year. thank goodness. But that leaves me with 3 times more work... i think my boss hired a new person but i have my opinion on it. I don't see it working out but hey she could be great ! ?
Chelle good news for Carly. Sounds like she is doing wonderful in her thereapy and healing process.
Hope you can find some work soon. There is an apple job here if you want it ???

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat, I think you left out the part about baking shortcake at midnight. LOL Yean, everything is normal over there.....

Thanks Sue. I think the drive might be a bit much. :P One of my neighbors used to get paid to pick at an orchard down the road from us. Not sure what they do when over there. I think my neighbor just picked apples.

I thought I could make a little extra cash posting stuff for sale on the facebook pages. People say they want it then don't get back to you. I dropped off a baby seat to a very young mom yesterday. She said she'd pay me a couple of bucks extra if I could drop it off which I did and she didn't give me anything extra. Then her boyfriend came home and was kind of snotty about us being in his parking place so he just sort of forced his way into the driveway. Nolan tried to shut the car door fast and smashed his fingers. Ugh.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, I forgot about the shortcake. Which turned out to be YUMMY. Maybe my cooking skills increase with extra distractions.

Awww, Nolan. Take care: life can be hazardous to your health.

Pat

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, you ok on the storm? It's raining here pretty hard right now. We're having some wind to go with the rain. Sent the kids to feed early because it looked like it was going to be nasty. Kate's out finishing up feeding the sheep and steers right now.

Put pickles in the jar most of the day. Ended up around 60 pints. These were those 14 day pickles. I didn't do all that heating of the syrup for 4 days straight and it seems like they've turned out pretty good. They also sat on the porch in new 5 gallon plastic buckets for almost a month. The new fashion in pickle barrels I guess. Everything around here right now is being processed in the order of which it will rot. There's some corn in the cooler that will be done tomorrow and some apples that are ready for apple butter that will be in line for tomorrow. I need to run to Mt. Eden and get some cabbage plants. Hopefully tomorrow. Got to pick up apples too. Unfortunately the cabbage plants and the apples are in opposite directions. As per usual.

I sure wish I'd gotten my turnips and kale in the ground before the rain came. Days just aren't long enough though.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Poor Nolan. I hope his fingers arn't to bruised.
Speaking of bruised Jessica's dad said on my FB that my tattoo looked like i got pretty bruised ??? i think he is blind or he is the same old person and needs to make a mean , snotty or rude comment. I have yet to ever hear him say anything nice to me or anyone ... oh well he is not my problem .
well Ms. Grumpy Girl is working at the orchard this season... oh what joy....... NOT.... but the more perky and happy i act , the more it annoys her LOL .. boy do i smear it on thick too LOL... but then she will do something mean to me . LIke a few times she won't take the blame for an accident on the cider press or she will on purpose spill cider and then blame me. i really don't like her.
no rain here today.
Janet hope you get some dry days to do more work :) wow 60 pints ! i get tired just doing 30 .
have a nice night everyone

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We barely got a sprinkle here. There was a tad bit of thunder and a bit of spitting, followed by a rainbow.

One of our coaches has to switch our schedule so now I'll be pulling 14 hour days 4 days a week and still have to be down there Saturday and Sunday. :( The kids are all so much happier though so I guess I'm going to kill myself making this work.

LOL @ Sue. Yes, happiness annoys those that are annoyed and annoying. :)

Nolan is okay. Luckily he didn't have the door all the way shut. The bigger girls got in trouble for allowing him to shut the door himself. He's so smart and independent that they forget he's only 3.

Guess I'm going to check some stuff online, finish up my Sam's order for the soccer stuff and head to bed. I sleep about 4 hours a night anymore. I've lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks though so I guess it works...

Everyone take care!

good morning everyone
coffee is on
Chelle don't forget to take care of yourself. Wow on the weight loss , that is always a plus . Glad to hear Nolan finger is ok.
well i m heading off to the apple orchard.
see you's

Good morning, I was without internet all day yesterday. I can't figure it out, because I found out early morning. I was ready to pull my hair out. I got up and tried it this morning, and all was fine. Guess this is God's way of making me do something else more important.

We had about 2 inches of rain yesterday afternoon/evening, a little wind but no storm. We certainly needed the rain. Louisville got quite the storm I think and I am so glad that we didn't.

DH has turnips coming up, where he initially thought he didn't get good germination. So he is happy about that.

Pat, watch out, that manic person may just infect you (hehe) and us oldersters don't need to have that happen to us.

Chele, wow, I guess rushing around to get the kids to practices, etc is running the weight off, but be careful. Take along some peanut butter crackers to keep your energy up. Aw, poor Nolan, so sorry about his hand, but sounds like he knows he got the girls in trouble! Sly as a fox.

Sue, the merrier you are the worse the worker will feel and probably try to do more to you. However, don't give up, honey catches more flies than vinegar. Ignore the ex, that is probably why he is the ex!

Janet, didn't anybody tell you that retirement wasn't supposed to be that busy? Gee girl, slow down or you won't last long.

Gosh, it will take me all morning to get caught up from not having internet yesterday!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I wasn't trying to lose weight (even though I need to! LOL). I just don't think about eating until I feed the kids and that is dinner time. Last night I had a $1 frozen Kroger pizza for dinner. No chance of going back for seconds. LOL

I guess we got some rain here because the water is back up to the skimmer in the pool. It's unplugged because it was lower than that a couple of days ago. Needles to say the water has turned to unswimmable. We're never here anyway but is stinks when we are and want to swim. Oh well. Maybe next summer will be better.

If anyone knows somebody having a baby, let me know. I'm selling all of my baby stuff. No chance of having another.

I haven't done anything outside in months. The yard is a mess, the house is a mess...at least Kristenne cleaned out my car!

I guess break time is over. I have to finish the dishes and throw some laundry on then head south. Now we have soccer practice on Thursday too. :( There went another 'early' night where we could eat at home and get showers and do homework at HOME.

Everybody take care!

my friend just had a baby. what are you selling ?
Bonnie yes i guess i just think someday he will act like a mature grown up ??? then i start to ROFLMAO ... it works for me :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, I have my stroller/baby seat/travel system, hi def baby monitor, some 6-9 month boys clothing. I still need to look at the swing and the pack and play. I have a box of socks and several pairs of little shoes, three pairs of other shoes size 4, 6 and 7. I have stuff everywhere. LOL I haven't even gotten to the girls stuff yet...

Just got in the door. I have 9 hours to finish my Sam's order, get some sleep, get in the shower and get dressed so I can do it all again. pfft.

Oh, Lillie turned 13 today. :)

Chele, another teenager! Wish her Happy Birthday from me. Bet you could put that on ebay and it would sell well, as I am sure that most people who are expecting in this economy would rather spend money on good used stuff rather than buying new. If you ever had some FREE TIME you could have a yard sale. I said that over Labor Day weekend, I was going to have a yard sale, but it got here too quick and I wasn't ready! How dare that holiday weekend to sneak up on me!

Janet we went through Peytona tonight, and it looks like they have a lot of rain too. A big field of tobacco out and all cut. Bet that will be a nasty mess.

We had dinner with our former pastor and his wife. We just love them so, and we sat and talked and ate, then they started sort of giving us the eye about maybe freeing up the table, so we went outside and sat on the front porch and talked some more. Cracker Barrell. Those rockers are really comfortable.

I did get some things done today, like laundry, and pulling some weeds, and working on sermons.

Need to start thinking about heading down the hall to bed.

DH is leaving tomorrow for a 2 day horse event trip. I don't think he is very eager to go, but he is driving his DB to Northern Indiana and won't be back until Saturday night. So I won't have to cook for a couple of days, so it will seem like a mini vacation.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I borrowed tables from my neighbor two years ago, started getting everything set up then he asked for the tables back. He said he needed them for a flea market. I emptied everything off and took them back and they sat at his house unused. He later joked he was afraid I would sell them?? He let me borrow them again in July and he knew it would take me some time to get everything washed and set up again and also that my schedule is crazy. Then Carly tore her ACL. He called to tell me he needed the tables back again so we just took everything off and put it in boxes and he's yet to pick up the tables....

I don't think I've ever been to Cracker Barrel but I bet rocking on the porch is pleasant in pleasant weather. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Four teenagers...!!

I didn't get anything important done today. LOL Left the house at 7am, dropped all the kids at school, cleaned out my trunk, went to Sam's. Then I went back to the concession stand and put away $300 worth of candy, food and juice, picked up the kids, dropped Carly at PT, went to the bank, went to Kroger, picked up Maddie, picked up Carly then went back to the concession stand until 8:30. Pfft. I'm tired.

Chele, DH's niece called me today to tell me that she is setting up a yard sale at a small town festival tomorrow and that I can put some stuff out if I want. It sounded good, and I said that I would try to get things together. Hehe, my day turned into one busy one and I haven't pulled out one thing. Guess I will miss another chance at getting rid of some of my "stuff".

Gosh, you don't get much chance to stay in one spot long do you? I know that after the kids are grown and gone, you will have plenty of time to sit and do nothing.

We are supposed to have thunderstorms tonight, but so far we have nothing. Talked to DH about 4 this afternoon, they are in Lafayette, Ind and it was raining there. Didn't know at that time whether the event would be cancelled or not.

Does anyone know how to reach Marcie? I am getting worried about her, and just wanted to know if anybody ever talks to her.

Lou, how are you doing? I am hoping that you are in rehab and that the pain is greatly diminished.

Well, thinking about heading to bed.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Chele, you make me tired just reading about your day. Hope you're not too tired to sleep at night.

Bonnie, isn't awful how we start to do something and then life gets in the way? ^_^

Marcie and Dave sent me a sympathy card when Dad died. So I know they're still out and about!

We finally got some much needed rain yesterday and through the night. After the first storm went through we had an inch in the gauge. Then it rained in the night and it's raining yet again now. I am not complaining one little bit!!!

good morning
funny you all mention Marcy. i was thinking the same thing ??? " where is Marcy ? "
got tons of rain last night ! big storm came through late last night and stayed until morning . its a nice brisk cool morning and feels good. i have the doors open and the windows.
well guess who didn't show up to work on friday ??? ......... grumpy pants girl. No phone call, no nothing. Phil tried to call but no answer. I know she is ignoring his calls. I do hope nothing is wrong and everyone in her family is ok but i can't understand why she didn't show up ?
So Phil ( my boss ) and i did everything ourselves. IT was hard on him . He is not as young as he used to be and i can see the toll on him. I do believe we got a few good young men to help with picking . So we may also use them in the cider pressing area also.
I may hit farmers markets today, just for buying not selling.
off and about

Well I think I remember the last few times that Marcy posted she was having computer problems. So maybe her computer died and she decided not to get another one. Well, I am trying to convince myself that is what the story is.

Joyce, are you doing fairly well after your DF's death?

Sue, I certainly hope nothing is wrong with your co-worker, but maybe she had a bad attack of conscience for treating you mean, and the Lord is giving her a weekend of healing! We can always hope so.

yea maybe Bonnie. I hope it was just a misunderstanding as to what date to start ? maybe she thought next friday ?
got bit by a yellow jacket. ouch. it sure itches !!! oh my gosh does it itch ! so ice ice ice i do. no benydrl for this girl. i can't do that stuff. but i may get a cream for it .

Sue make a paste of baking soda and water and put on the bite. It will help relieve the itching. Be careful in the orchard, they sure do like the sweetness of the apples, and other sweet things. Don't sit a soda down and then drink, check it for the hateful critters first.

Pat just finished my sermon a little bit ago. I preach tomorrow and the devil has worked overtime to keep me from completing it. The phone would ring, someone would stop by the dogs would bark, but prayer and perseverence got it done. I preach the 23 at a different church, so think I will use the same sermon for both churches. I think there is a secret plan afoot that my whole family will be there the 23rd to hear me. Shhh, you didn't hear that here!

thanks Bonnie. i will try it.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad you got your sermon finished, Bonnie. I am not up to date on your pastor business. I know you weren't completely happy with the new one....any new news?

Sue, listen to Bonnie on the Baking soda water paste...it works!

Doing fine since Dad passed. It was a good life and the perfect way to go...today is a little bittersweet. My mother passed one year ago.

Waving at everyone!

Joyce, I went to school and became a lay speaker in my denomination. So only speak (preach) when others are on vacation of illness takes them away. It is a fairly large district, so I could be called anywhere within a 100 mile range. Thankfully this one is close.

Need to put wings on and fly out the door, so that I don't end up being late.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Howdy, everybody! Bonnie, let us know how the sermon went. When I first started preaching, I would be exhausted by all the effort-- mental, physical, and spiritual-- and would come home and conk out all afternoon. So treat yourself to a nap.

I had a computer crisis of middling proportions yesterday: my monitor was flickering, and then went kaput. I didn't want to give up on it without talking to son first, and it took me awhile to track him down. By the time he had asked me 101 questions about what I had tried to revive it, I barely had time to run to Best Buy and get a new one before they closed. Then I screwed up the internet connections and was tearing my hair out abt that. (I love how the computer tells me that I have no internet connection and then gives me an internet link so I can figure out how to fix it.) Fortunately, I figured it out, and am now contemplating how very, very dependent I am on my puter. Makes me wonder if I should take up smoking again, LOL, as it might be cheaper and less frustrating!

Son is off to London again today for 5 or 6 days. He leaves this afternoon.

Sue, sorry abt the yellow jacket sting. Have you tried the benadryl spray for the itching? It doesn't make you conk out like the pills do. How is the apple harvest this year? I wasn't sure how the drought might affect the trees. And I LOVE apples.

Joyce, I'm hoping the splendid memories of your parents will lessen the pain of their absence.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous now that the humidity has passed. I opened up the windows all day yesterday, then had to get up in the middle of the night to shut some because it was too cold, lol.

Everybody take care,
Pat

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One of vendors, the lady, found out in July she had colon cancer. She passed away Friday.
Only 51 years old. One daughter still in HS. So sad & she was a real spark plug at our market. Was treasurer for many years & took care of a lot of things we all took for granted.

Weather is pretty nice here. We still need rain & lots of it to break the drought.

Saturday night we are having a big party for our 40th anniversary. Anybody in the area, you are welcome to attend.
Bernie

Thanks for the invitation Bernie, but probably won't make it.

Pat the sermon went lots better than expected. They were an attentive bunch, and I enjoyed it lots. Had several after church come up to me and said that they are telling their pastor to just call me if he has to be away. Had one tell me to come take over the church. Naww, sounds like some problems there, and I don't want to be in the middle of anything. Glad you got the monitor up and working. Yes, that really irks me when the computer tells you you have no internet connection, and gives you a link. I am determined that technology won't be so advanced in the future that I am clueless about it.

Sue how is the sting?

Joyce, I did lots better with my DF passing than my DM. I think with girls that is such a close bond, no matter that you may have been on the outs with parents when you were a teenager. Hope that you passed the anniversary of your DM's death with good memories of her.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've always wanted to see Minnesota. Maybe some day I'll have business to take me up that way. I'd love to see your beautiful countryside...Just not in winter, preferably. ;)

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, Congrats on the successful sermon. I'm sure you feel a little relief now that your first one is over.

I'm doing okay. My knee is healing slowly and I'm impatient. I started the therapy but after the first time my whole leg swelled up and Ihad to start icing it again. So I will have to wait another week or two before I start again.

I'm getting my houseplants all ready to come in for the winter. It seems fall is here so I know cold weather can't be far behind. I can sit on the patio and play in the dirt , so I'm going to be prepared for the first frost and won't have to hurry up and get them in.

Pat, I too, know how frustrating computers can be. Mine says the program has stoppped working every time I go to a different web site. I click to find the problem , and then it is okay .???

Enjoy this great weather everyone! Lurker Lou

good morning
Bonnie i m trying the baking powder that is all i have :(
sting is still a bit swollen it spread to the rest of my arm. i guess i m st ubborn and won't see a DR until i m sure i need it.
iced it all weekend.
Pat apple season is limited. With drought the apple are falling off and rotting . i would say half his orchards are on the ground :(
but we will still have some to sell and do cider.
sure hope the grumpy lady shows up to work. With this bite it won't be easy to do myself.
Lou careful on that leg. HOpe you can get the swelling down. sending healing energy to you.
got to run

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Waving Hi...yes, yesterday was fine. Bill and I took a ride and really enjoyed the beautiful weather.

We stopped at a little apple market and she said she didn't know if they were even going to have any Jonathan's this year. Said the warm Feb, and then the cold snap got a lot of their blooms. Sad...I did buy some Cortland and Macintosh to make Bill a pie. $2.00 a pound. That seem high to you?

Have weeds that are taking over the garden...guess I know what I SHOULD be doing!

Anyone interested in coming for a get together either this month or next?

Waddy, KY

$2 is right in line for apples. I'm getting $2.50 at our markets.

Bonnie, retirement now just means that if I take a day off I truly DON'T get paid. I'm still backed up on chores and who knows when I'll get caught up.

Either I've got a cold or my allergies are going to town. Feel horrible with runny nose and sneezing. Of course DH has not got the pastures mowed or the field around the house so here I sit. I'd like to go lay down but I have two bushel of tomatoes to process and the squash to pick and it won't get done sitting around. Need to get to my parents and plant some cabbage and do some weeding tomorrow. Ugh!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.