TEA ROOM # 111

Merino, Australia

Glad to see you popping in Sue. It can be a nightmare with injuries and having similar to your daughter I do sympathise.

Pain is a drag on the system so you go where needed and we will see you when you get back.

Love your carving.

Glad the chooks are settling in too.

You will soon be able to settle back into a routine when all is well again with your daughter.
Keep smiling.

Teresa, I love the look of your hellebores. and that yellow blossom.
My hellebores are looking cute, all hanging their shy heads.

Moon, glad to hear you may not have any serious trouble with Isaac.
I hope he fizzles quickly.

Jean.

Christchurch, New Zealand

Sue - now that they know your daughter has torn ligaments in her shoulder perhaps they will be able to finally do something to help her!
It is awful being in pain but so much worse when you don't know what is causing it & the Dr.s tell you it's nothing .

I love that soapstone carving, you are very talented.

Hubby had to go back to work as the machine sent an alarm text saying it had a broken tool.
I fell asleep until he got back home & reminded me I wanted to do the lawns.
I did ask him this morning to make sure I didn't forget, the grass was so long I left the blades pretty high so they will probably need to be cut again in a few days.
If the weather stays dry that is...

the lawns look better & it makes cleaning up after the dogs easier.
I also discovered how badly cut up the front lawn is where the concrete truck ran over it.
The ground was so soft that it's a wonder they weren't bogged...
although looking at the wheel ruts - maybe they were.

Brisbane, Australia

Hello again. So sorry to hear of your daughters shoulder problem, Sue. I do hope the coming warmer weather will help everyone with joint problems feel a lot better and far less pain. The present fluctuation between warm and cool and windy doesn't help my shoulder either. Better times are coming. I really do wish I could carve like that. Just don't have the knack.

Have been driving around just looking just to get out of the house and it is wonderful to see the baby birds (such as ducklings) and other birds gathering nesting materials. The pretty wattles are finished but the scraggy bush wattle is out now and it is amazing how much of it there is around. Good season for allergies?

Moon, I did see where Florida is preparing for Isaac. Let's hope and pray he doesn't cause any damages.

Hello everyone else. I am sorry I'm not very chatty lately. Maybe Spring will bring some good vibes with it and invite me to dance on the grass.

Take care
Karen

Does anyone know the name of this weed? I used to have it growing down the back, and the butterflies that love it were here too, but the weed has long gone and the butterflies with it.

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Clifton Springs, Australia

Your daughter has had a bad run, chookie.....hopefully now they will be able to help her...
i know that she needs you but it must be frustrating for you, just getting your property the way you want it and you have to leave it again....Do you have a neighbour who can look after the chooks?
Good that your Mandarin has mended....the carvings are lovely....
Is the pink quartz hard to carve, it looks as though it would shatter easily?....

Karen, we have lots of cygnets everywhere here and you look at them and their black, beautiful parents and wonder how they could ever change into swans....makes me think of that Danny Kaye song about the Ugly Duckling......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKxnYRhk6I
That weed looks like a Lantana, but the leaves are different, though I couldn't really make out if the flowers were attached to those strappy leaves or growing amongst them....

Al, sounds as though you are going to have a great 2 weeks...what is it, poker all night, touring all day and sampling the local foods whenever....try to send some pics if you can and have a safe trip.

Moon, let's hope Isaac doesn't touch down at all and does no damage...
Went to the Portarlington market this morning but it was too cold to walk around, the wind was coming straight off the sea, so grabbed some hot donuts and came home.....
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 5:35 PM

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

A Quiet day, Snowing down to 200 m this morning at 6.30,.., I thought, 'stuff the market', Ill just get the necessities and go home.[where its warm],.Organised my excess pots to donate to LV garden club-about 60.,.Im glad to clear some space,,,,., If only you knew, what I have ordered!!!- TO FILL THESE SPACES-.,. Went out to Rodrigos today and did a 1hr course on 'daffodil setting and placement'- for the show..It was brilliant!!,.,.anyway, ive 3 miniatures in the fridge and am going into it with a cool casual approach,.,.Taking Friday off- going for bloods tests, then tax return...Had hoped to be able to book in to get my will done, but not enough time[maybe December]I reckon, i'll last that long,.,.,.Anyway after that, Its all Daffodil show[a weekend that is totally lost]-Anthony

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Who said anything about Poker? Don't play much, and I'm really bad at it. I will be testing the local seafood, though, and it should be very good. We're off early tomarrow morning.

Al

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry Al...I guess my brain must be wandering...I thought I remembered you saying you and your wife were off on a vacation and would be meeting up with some of her on-line poker buddies for a couple days....guess sometimes I just wander into the Twilight Zone. Now I wonder where I read that....????

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Fine but cold yesterday and looks like being the same today.
I may talk myself into getting out in the shadehouse for a while to get those seeds all done.
Then again, I may not. Had a bad night last night , having to get up twice for painkillers.
I hate taking pills so didnt like the idea but needed them.

Al , have a great time and try lots of seafood.
I love seafood especially prawns & crayfish ( lobster over your way )
Its a pity hubby doesnt do any fishing these days .

Moon, havent seen the news this morning but I do hope Isaac is not doing too much harm where ever he is now.
Keep safe.

Hello Dianne. You went to a market and came home without a plant ?? It must have been very cold..lol

Anthony, You have space ????? Look out more liliums. You simply cannot have an empty space.
Wishing you well for the Daff show.

Hello Karen, keep taking things easy. Si tin the garden andwatch the flowers grow.

Hello Colleen , hope your back is slowly improving

Teresa, sounds like Sugar has found her brain. Typical teenager, having to grow into it.

Hello everyone else. heres your morning tea treat..... Apple Shortcake, with Passionfruit Icing..

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Camperdown, Australia

Hi Everyone,Thanks for the supportive comments from all. I have a few weeks at home now but am booking for Perth this week to go at end of month when Cathy needs a driver as her best friend and school drop off ally is off overseas.

Yes Dianne my neighbour is just over the fence and he and his children like watching my chooks for me. They eat a lot of eggs so I pass on the egg overflow too. I added a pumpkin and some carrots from the harvest for them yesterday.I keep telling them to help themselves from the garden but they don't. My handyman also looks in on the chooks and to admire his handywork in the castle so they are well cared for, but not bonding with me yet at all of course. LOL

Anthony I read that you had snow down to 200mt wow that uis cold and you need rain they say too?Does the melted snow help a bit? Good luck with your daffs- they add such cheer to life.

Carving Rose Quartz is new to me but from what I read it is not hard and doesn't crack too badly. It is easier than it appears - so they say! LOL Time will tell. I am looking at the stone and wondering what I see in it- A hen maybe? LOL I wonder what you all see in it?
I am looking forward to seeing how transparent it will turn out when I carve it.

Thumbnail by chookie2
Brisbane, Australia

Karen, that's milkweed and I have it here in Bris. Can send you some seeds when it gets pods. I have actually just cut a big clump down..but never pull out the roots. Is it any wonder the Mr Anal next door who whippersnips every day is a bad mix with us? Jungle in our place, boring there...and then there's the parking terrorist otr.You can draw the short straw but we drew two..Lol. We just ignore them but some of their antics/ demands are quite funny..and ludicrous...eg..parked their car right up on top of ours with about eight feet in front of theirs (did have ours the wrong way to stop their towbar hitting..Lol..because our towbar is bigger, SHE came over to demand I move our car straight away as we'd damage theirs. Almost laughed but they are serious! So, you country living folk, I often dream of vast spaces and no neighbours but we are so close to everything here and the terrain is pretty awesome for a city..and we have the UQ lake and parklands just over the bridge .Must admit, do get a bit stirred up when otf (over the fence) poisons potted bamboo...and has recently poisoned the enormous wall of bougainvillea we have in our part of the gully. Just as it's starting to flower..usually a big cascade of purple. Just hates bougainvillea wherever it is..so now, I have falling leaves and dropping flowers and bare canes as tall as several storeys ahnging in the trees and it will mean the cat's claw creeper will take over. Where's the logic in that?

Sorry to hear of people's troubles..Chookie, hope your daughter finds relief. Hope everyone is happy and well. We have had some awesome weather here. Bit cloudy today

Brisbane, Australia

Anthony, I wouldn't survive if it snowed here! Our houses are built like wooden tents. We have
a fireplace but what's the point as the place is so big and open. The ceiling would be the only thing that got warm..12 feet up.

Actually, this year, I am not noticing the cold as much,,, my body is following my brain[senile],.We dont see the snow down this far very much.,. back in 86 it snowed to sea level,..,really threw everyone into a spin..Our house is 2 storey brick fully insulated, wood fired and always at least a ton of[good dry] wood out-back.,The fire burns non stop for 8-9 months and when ''MR FROSTY' yawns, I just shove another log in.,.,.Anthony

the dogs are enjoying their rawhide chew bones, every so often Copper tries to steal Sugar's & she will growl at him...
at other times she waves it at him & teases him into chasing her.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining. I had forgotten what it looked like. Lots of cloud out there so not really Spring yet.
I did get about the garden yesterday to throw the snail pellets around. Lots of slugs raising their slimy heads out there.
I had to water a couple of the brugs in pots as they are under the cypress and didnt get a lot of rain.

I also weeded a small part of the front garden. Will do the rest today.
It was lucky having a dry end to Autumn as I was able to get the Roundup onto the weeds back then.
It means they a re so much smaller now and not as thick.

Anthony, I am just the opposite. I feel the cold more each year. You must be getting younger not older..lol

Teresa, I am so glad to hear that Sugar is being nice to you now.
The two of them must be fun to watch.

Moon, hope all is well with you. Stay safe there.

Hello Dianne, Sue, Karen, Colleen and Al.

Charleen, Where is Charley ? I havent seen him for a few days.
I hope the hurricane didnt frighten him .
Give all the furry ones a pat for me.

Better move myself and see what I can give you all for morning tea. .....Blueberry Scones.
I will then get motivated to get out and finish weeding.
At least that is something I can do without using my sore arm...lol

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Camperdown, Australia

Hi Everyone, Lovely sunny cool morning here, have been up since 6am -early for me ! LOL Let the chooks out of their pen to a sunny grassy yard and they love it.
Yesterday I spread lots of mulch around and began the new garden along the new back fence. I will plant it up with edibles that don't grow too high as the neighbours cows will just trim them over the top if they grow too high.
I will need to move the small fig tree to espalier it as it is too far from the fence but it is still dormant so won't be a problem.

Now the sun is out and I am sure Spring will come I am thinking of my vegie plantings and will get started on a little set up for seed raising under glass- tomatoes, pumpkins eggplant etc. I have planty of window glass around, I have used polystrene boxes with glass over the top in the past bunt to make something more permanent this time.

Gosh in 3 weeks away the weeds really took over in some places.I have that awful sticky weed that seems to climb into everything ( but is easy to pull out) and another ground cover type with tiny blue flowers that I am digging out before it sets seed- it is everywhere - and I didn't have it at all last year so it must have come in with compost or manure I guess.

My Fuchsia cuttings are all taking and growing well so will have plenty to share soon. I still need to plant out the Loganberry and boysenberries along the chook fence today so better get to it.
Have a good day everyone.

Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Kat. I thought it might be milkweed. I used to have it growing here, but long gone now. I spotted this on a farm we were driving by and the butterfly too. Just a bit of nostalgia for what once was but is no more. So no seeds, I'm sorry.

I was amazed to see many of my epis now starting to bud. It is a bit early, isn't it?

Sounds like everyone is getting into Spring mode. Won't be long now. I can't get excited about it as I don't know if I'll be moved out or not yet. They say we should know by the end of October.

Meanwhile, more weeds are taking over here. Does anyone know what this one is with its small daisy like flowers? The lower one is that awful ground cover that gets the 3 petalled blue flowers.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. A fine day yesterday without too much wind. The sun even came out for a few hours.
I did a bit of weeding and planted some seeds.
Today I will be starting the big move for the brugs.
Some are coming out of the shadehouse and will be going along the semi sheltered path behind a fence .
Hopefully this will shelter them from all the hot wind during summer.
Its time they all got out in the world and learned how to grow tall.

I have a couple of flowers about to open on the white suaveolens. .
GHA , Mango Cornet & BB are still going with buds & flowers and I see that Clementine has put a lot of buds on again.
She puts them on then throws them off. Naughty girl.

One of the knightiis has a bud opening also. A bit small but still a flower.

I have some seedlings in the greenhouse which need to go into big pots. They have grown so much over winter.

Lots of other flower seeds to get in the ground too. Busy busy.

Hello to everyone coming in for a cuppa.

Dianne, Teresa, Karen, Anthony, Al Karen & Kat.

Charleen & Moon , keep safe there.

Enjoy this ....Cinnamon Teacake

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Morning all,
Not looking too good for the US coastline with Isaac on it's way....it must be very scary for those who have decided to stay. On the news this morning, they said it would touchdown tomorrow sometime...
Hope it doesn't get near to you or any of your family, Moon.

My Epis are budding up too, Karen...looking forward to their flowers....
I have a few potting jobs this morning too Jean,

At the doctor's yesterday a young mother came in with her children, 5 daughters aged from 10 down to 2...it was such a pleasure to listen to the girls chatting and looking after each other...they were so polite, I said to their mother how lovely I thought they were, she laughed and said that people usually think it's funny, that she had 5 girls.....
It is so rare these days to see families with 5 kids, much less all girls.....Ray was horrified at the thought of when they get to be teenagers.....what a chicken..lol
Keep well everyone.
Dianne.

Thanks Dianne, but actually, it is expected to move right over the top of us later tonight (Tuesday). Gone to bring somewhere between 12 and 20 inches of rain to the area. This storm has a spread of about 900Km and has spread squalls all the way to the Atlantic Coast, causing flooding in S Carolina. It is predicted to push on land and continue across Louisiana up into Arkansas, Tenn, Missouri, Illinois and maybe as far north as Michigan. Those areas have been in a drought and could really use the rain. It will be interesting over the next week, as we have rainfall every day through Sunday before the outer bands clear us.

Moon

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Charley is out there rambling along in the pasture.
Abigail in the dogpen with Dufess.
I've been collecting seed for seed swap.
i don't think they are going to let me post a picture.
But we are all fine....
Love and nuzzles to all...

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
A wild and woolly nigh there. It is still raining but the wind has dropped.
I should not complain a sit is nowhere as bad as our US friends are getting.
Being battered by Isaac on one side and toasted by fire on the other.
I just hope that is all they get . Saw a show the other day about what would happen if Yellowstone erupted.
My goodness, I just thought.....we live in the middle of a huge volcanic area too.
Mother Nature sure can put on a tantrum when she wants..

Shopping day today, so I had better go and see what is in the kitchen for morning tea.

Aha.....I found something nice for you all. ....Chocolate Ginger Slice.

Stay safe and warm ..I hope I can find an orphan today but the plant section is hardly there any more..

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Tea's made, Jean.....it's a cold one here...
I have to vacuum, so I'm putting it off.....
Isaac certainly is dumping a lot of water, just saw a little town with water up to the roof...no one hurt thank goodness...

Talking of tea, I've changed my brand...I've been drinking Liptons for years and it seems to have an after taste, so gone back to good ol' Bushells.....perfect.
The only coffee that I like is a Cappucino, with a big frothy top....

Charleen keep posting, we can look on FB for your pics....

Anthony, did you like Ratten? looks like you might get Malthouse and Cloke...personally I wouldn't give 5 cents for Cloke, never been a fan of his...
I don't know why but the clubs never let their coaches go with any dignity...Essendon and Geelong were the same....

Well the Dyson is waiting...bah....
Back later.
Dianne.

Brisbane, Australia

Good morning everyone. The hurricane season has arrived and I just hope and pray that all will be safe with our friends overseas. I have a BIL and family living in South Carolina but they are usually safe apart from a flooded basement every now and then.

Not a lot happening here. Its all a waiting game, waiting for the buds to bloom so I can start snapping pics again. Spring is such a beautiful time of the year but is a bit slow to bring on the flowers in this area. It is good to see some iron barks in flower so the nectar eating birds are getting a nice feed. Spotted some Scarlet Honeyeaters in a paperbark tree on one of our walks recently. Beautiful little birds.

Keep well and happy.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong Thumbnail by DawnSong Thumbnail by DawnSong

Hi to you all from wet windy So Louisiana. It started raining yesterday evening a little before 5PM....25 hours later it is still raining and doesn't look like stopping anytime soon. Lost electricity around 1AM, but have a generator so milk stays cold and coffee is hot. GRIN

Karen, I saw on the news last night that Charleston, S Carolina had flooding as a result of early bands of rain from Isaac. This rascal has dropped more rain across the southern US and isn't finished yet...predictions are that it could travel to the north and brings rains to a half dozen more states.

well I am a bit stiff & sore thanks to a stupid car driver who pulled in front of the bus I was on.
Bus driver hit the brakes, I hit the seat in front of me & have wrenched muscles in my shoulders & neck.
Had to take yesterday off work as I just couldn't move without pain.
Today was better & the Dr gave me stronger pain killers to use & a referral for Physio if I don't improve in the next couple of days.

The dogs liked me being home but Sugar couldn't figure out why I wouldn't play tug with her, funny wee thing kept bringing her rope toy over & pushing it toward my hands...

I had to do somewhat the same thing in the truck yesterday,.A stupid turbin headed taxi driver with no indicators.,Im really getting sick of these twits, they shouldnt be issued an australian license,..,Dianne,This Carlton business seems to be an inside job [im disgusted in the deliberate tanking last weekend] Not sure if I can put up with 'Malty Milkshakes Mentality'

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We're well into our trip in the northeast, now in Ste. Johns, New Brunswick Canada. Crossed the border yesterday afternoon. Weather has been great for traveling so far. Hope everybody in the southland is doing fine, Charleen and Charley might be in natures path also, but I haven't heard from her lately. Good to see you on Moon.

Lots of ships and boats here, as always we're on a lighthouse quest of the eastern states. I'll post some up when get a minutes chance. Nice day Everyone!

BTW, they make the world famous Ganong Chocolates at a huge factory right here in St. Stephen. We just had to take the tour, they were serving chocolate samples throughout their entire history. Impressive tour indeed! Very quaint little town on the seaside to walk around, too.

Al

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 11:39 AM

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Its a very dull morning here after a wet & windy night.
Not pleasant gardening weather.

Al, I wish I could join you on your trip. Sounds fascinating.
The chocolate place would have been a favorite for me,,,yummm

Love lighthoses. They are so impressive standing alone on far corners of land.
There is one not that far from here but you cannot go inside.
I used to stay in a caravan park next to one and loved to see the light .
It was always a beacon showing where home was when coming back from a trip.

Charleen and Moon, I hope you are both doing okay during Isaac's visit. We are all thinking of you .

Hello Teresa, I hope you are feeling much better . Not a nice thing to happen.

Anthony, you take care of yourself too.

Seems to be the year of injuries and pain. Hope the rest of the year tuns out better for everyone.

Hello Dianne, Karen, Kat, Sue and all looking in.

I will put out something nice for you all ......yummy Layer Cake....( with lots of cream ).

Please help yourself to some cake and and take your chairs over to the new place.

This is where we have gone..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277846/

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Grafton, Australia

Hi now that spring has sprung Im looking for any hippeastrum bulbs or seeds to buy can anyone help me

Brisbane, Australia

Ooh, I see we have a new page. See you there.
Karen

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.