Blooming Today New Mexico

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

This is one of the plants I purchased from BlueRidge Gardens in North Carolina last August.

Guadalajara by J Carpenter, 2004. This is its first bloom!

The 2nd one is Strutter's Ball by Moldovan 1984, and the 3rd won is a UFO, Hold Your Horses from Trimmer 2004, also planted in August 2011 with first blooms.

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice. The third one will get better.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

It has been scorching hot here with no rain in sight, so Hold Your Horses didn't last long enough to open up all the way. It is actually in some partial shade too!

Here are the ones blooming today.

Aaron's Little Whopper (A Joiner 1999)
Regal Air (Wild 1963)
Too Marvelous (Sellers 1975)
Watchyl Arsonist (Kreger 2004) This one was gone by the time I got home. TET
Spanish Sketch (Roberts 1989) I got this one in 2010

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that Strutters Ball ..... nice photos!

How hot has it been in NM? I know ya'll are normally a little hotter than us - it is supposed to be 106 today here!! WITH HUMIDITY!! It was almost suffocating as I left for work this morning - hate to think about trying to plant DLs this afternoon!

Genna

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Quote from gen2026 :
Love that Strutters Ball ..... nice photos!

How hot has it been in NM? I know ya'll are normally a little hotter than us - it is supposed to be 106 today here!! WITH HUMIDITY!! It was almost suffocating as I left for work this morning - hate to think about trying to plant DLs this afternoon!

Genna

It has not been below 93 for 3 weeks and absolutely no rain. Of course it is a Dry Heat! Hee Hee....It is downright miserable. Isn't 106 more than you normally get in Arkansas?

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Here are 2 that bloomed this morning.

Doubly Delicious a tet from 2002 from Salter (I absolutely love this one)

Baby Boomer a DIP from T Herrington 1996

Both were purchased from Bob Selman at BlueRidgeDaylilies

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le both of those are nice.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that Baby Boomer!! Well, it is not uncommon for us to hit temps over 100 - but it is definitely miserable outside when we do so! I think last summer, we broke a record that was set in 1980 for the number of consecutive days over 100. Also last summer it broke 110 several days!!! YUCK!! I never remember it being that hot before, but it looks like we are on track to possibly do that again this summer. My husband said about a week ago that he thought we needed to move up North for a couple of months! LOL.... I am going to have to tell him that wouldn't do much good unless we head to Alaska or something! Maybe we should head south....as in the Southern Hemisphere!!

Oh well, my crepe myrtles seem to be loving this heat - they are all blooming like crazy!!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Baby Boomer has a small flower, but it really is pretty isn't it?

I meant to respond about the pictures and let it slip my mind. I am using my little Canon SD1200 digital, set on auto at 3X for quality and try to hold really still......

Does anyone know offhand if there is a daylily very much like "MEAN AS A SNAKE" with the same coloring? AND the same shaping? It is so gorgeous, and I am having a problem finding it. Here is a pic of it.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by l2le
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

What an odd name for such a beautiful DL..................

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Gen2026 - I agree....I love that violet color. It doesn't appear to have the red undertone like so many do. I like its shape too....a little different

Linda

Here is what bloomed today...I missed Lana Ishee, as she was just opening up last night and this morning at 9 she looked like she had heat stroke! LOL

Another Baby Boomer, Guadalajara and 3!! Hold Your Horses

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Solsberry, IN(Zone 6a)

Mariettas Garden has "Mean As A Snake". I have "Russian Rhapsody" which I think kind of resembles MAAS-but not as pricey if that is an issue :) I really like that MAAS though!

Thumbnail by janie1leigh
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I like that Russian Rhapsody too! and PRICE is always an issue with me! :) Just getting started good in DLs and gardening and I lose too many plants to plant something expensive! I haven't lost as many DLs as other things over the past few years - but I still would rather spread my flower budget over more instead of just one or two expensive things!

Thanks for that info!
Genna

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks Janie....I've been looking for the best price for MAAS and I already have Russian Rhapsody, even though it is not blooming yet.

And I agree with you gen2026....there are a couple I'd really like to have, but am not going to pay $150 for it.....maybe I might get a $49 one. We shall see.

I have one new one....Sparks Cool Mountain Mist.

I thought it was supposed to be lavender in color, but perhaps the sun blasting on it has made it different. I don't know...

I gave all the lilys a bath with Epsom Salts and Hydrogen Peroxide and they sure seem to like it. Also, the temps cooled down about 10 degrees and we actually had a little rain.

Thumbnail by l2le
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I have a lot of blooms, but ya'all have seem them.....except for my new Apache War Dance!

Thumbnail by l2le
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Like AW !

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Went outside this morning and WOW my Sunrise Sunset is all aglow!. The flower is right at 7" and the color is beautiful. Also had another Dena Marie bloom (that is also gorgeous) and a new Zella Virginia. A Quad of Evita and another beautiful Guadalajara, along with another Peach Double, twin Asheville Belle Chere and another quad of Cee Cee. I noticed the scapes are really short on Zella this year.

Sunrise Sunset
Dena Marie
Zella Virginia
Evita
Guadalajara

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Peach Double
Asheville Belle Chere (twins)
Cee Cee ( quad)

AND a butterfly on my Butterfly bush. The darn thing fluttered just as I clicked the picture. Oh well....still pretty neat.

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Finally! Here is the Regal Majesty like it is supposed to look.

I also have a Sparks Cool Mountain Mist that is more to the correct color. I was hoping it would be a little more lavendar. I wonder if because they were new is why the color was not correct. I also found out by going to the Daylily show locally, that I should NOT have added mushroom compost or bone meal to my daylily mix when I planted them. The other thing I did, was change the way I was watering them. I installed good drip lines and made sure everyone was getting the water they are supposed to have.

Now the blooms look better as well as the foliage.

Regal Majesty
Sparks Cool Mountain Mist
Guadalajara - twins
Lana Ishee
Apache War Dance - This actually looks more rusty color than bright red.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Here are some more.

Hold Your Horses (looking more like coffee with very dark eyezone)
Regal Air
Baby Boomer
Dena Marie
CeeCee (more orange than it should be)

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

AND 2 more

Zella Virginia
Oodnadata

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Really like Baby Boomer!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love the Apache War Dance and the Sunrise Sunset .............. but they are all beautiful.

Why did they say you were not supposed to use mushroom compost? I am curious................. it is not readily available here but I had looked for it to improve one of my beds..... guess it is a good thing I didn't find it!

Genna

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Gen2026 I'm with you! The Sunrise Sunset Beautiful was 7" across! Unbelievable.

My soil here in Rio Rancho is very alkaline. I forget exactly what she said about the mushroom compost, but evidently it causes the soil to be MORE alkaline. Same for the Bone Meal (as it is really calcium). I just used the Hooker (?) formula or whatever that I found at Tinker's Gardens thinking I was doing the right thing. Alfalfa pellets, blood meal, compost, etc. etc.

My soil (if you can find it) is really crummy, so when I first moved here, I added bag after bag of cottonseed mulch called Back to Earth. Gradually I've added more planting beds for perenials and annuals etc. and have had to really dig down deep past the caliche then add in a lot of soils, mulches, peat, nutrients and whatever else you can think of to get the soil at least workable. I have sand in some areas that had to be fixed up with additives. When I dug my backyard up for my PVC pipes and irrigation system, I had to use a pick axe and soak the area first with water so I could get the pick axe to cut the soil!

I'd love to move back south like Gulf Coast Florida or Alabama with some nice acidy soil. LOL

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 7:31 AM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Put me down for loving Baby Boomer too.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I bought MAAS this year from Blueridge Gardens @ $24.99. They have very large plants and I have a few that are blooming already!

Edited to add the link: http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 12:24 PM

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks irisluvr! I saw it at Blueridge & was going to get it, but he had it priced at $49. I've been having problems this year due to the heat, so didn't want to take a chance! Most of my daylilys have come from Bob at Blueridge and Hardy's in Litchfield Ct.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Well, remind me in a couple of years (if you don't already have it then) and I will share with ya!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Absolutely Irisluvr! If I break down & buy it anyway, then I'll have 2! My problem is the room needed and of course the $ to spend. I like to eat too. LOL

Here is my Walter's Tango and another of Sunrise Sunset Beautiful. This time the bloom is 8"!

All the others are ones you have already seen, so if you want to see them, let me know & I will post.

I'm also including 2 beautiful pictures of my daughters (CT). The first is Krakatoan Lava and the other is ?? Could be Regalia Finale. She likes surprises so doesn't tag them usually.

Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le Thumbnail by l2le
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I bought Walter's Tango this year also (Blueridge). Can't wait for it to do it's thing next year!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Really nice pics, I2le! You have some nice ones. I've ordered a lot from Bob Selman myself. He sends good stuff. I'm really liking HOLD YOUR HORSES and BABY BOOMER. WALTER'S TANGO, SUNRISE SUNSET and KRAKATOAN LAVA are all gorgeous!

I would love to live in NM. I've lived in NV and AZ, as well as CA. Love it out west. I love it here, too, for the fact that the climate is good for lots of different plants, and the soil on our property is fantastic. Not that everyone has great soil around here, but we seem to be blessed by an abundance of it at our place. I would hate to have to do all you do to improve the soil. That's tough.

Janie, I have Russian Rhapsody, and mine never looks as nice as yours. I'm not excited by it and will probably pot it up to sell. Have had it a lot of years, and just doesn't increase for me. Maybe likes a much warmer climate. Here are several pics of mine on different days, different times of the day, etc.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are a few more.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Karen - I too have Russian Rhapsody and it isn't even as pretty as yours. It is a lot darker than I had hoped it would be, with that same burgandy cast to it. Not nearly as purple looking as Mean As A Snake! Of course, that one might not look as good here either, due to the soil. My daylilys look completely different in color than my daughters in Connecticut, and I know it is because of the soil. That and the blazing sun we have here.

Laura was going to give me a piece of that Krakatoan Lava, but when she tried to split it, it started to break, so guess I'll have to wait a year or so for it! She bought that one at Hardy's Daylilys in Litchfield.

Karen, I think I could get you a fan of HOLD YOUR HORSES if you are willing to accept a single fan. The others are pretty small right now due to the heat I think, but HYH has been partially shaded, so is nice and big. Maybe next year.

Yes, I am very pleased with Walter's Tango. The plant is still pretty small, so am anxious to see what it does next year.

Here is my one lonely bloom of Russian Rhapsody. I did NOT get it from Bob....and I think it shows!

Thumbnail by l2le
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have Russian Rhapsody also, but I never can figure out exactly which DL it is! Also have Chicago Arnie's Choice, which is similar, I think. But I don't think it is similar to MAAS, which I have only seen in pics. Does Hardy's sell online? A lot of beauties for my list on this thread...just keep feeding that addiction!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I have one new you you all have not seen.

Ida's Magic
Russian Rhapsody
Peach Double
Apache War Dance
Sunrise Sunset Beautiful

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

AND

Walter's Tango
Regal Majesty
Regal Finale
Zella Virginia
Joan Senior - 1st bloom this year

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Here is my newest bloom.....Ellen Christine....you have already seen all my others. They are just putting out new blooms. If I have one you haven't seen yet, I'll post it.

Ellen Christine

Thumbnail by l2le
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

l2le, that's a very pretty double. look spotless from here.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the offer on Hold Your Horses, I2le. Maybe I have something you might like. Check out my pics on this thread in the Northeast Forums: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269619/ .

Is your RR new? Maybe it just needs time to settle in. You could have mine if you like. I only have a couple of fans. It has never increased for me, and I've had it for years. Maybe it likes a warmer climate than what we have here.

caitlinsgarden, I have Chicago Arnie's Choice. Here are some pics of it.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.