The Coconut Wireless - chat thread 3

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, here we are at the beginning of a brand-new Coconut Wireless chat thread. I love the feel of a new thread. Take off your shoes, grab a chair, take a load off. Make yourselves at home. We're among friends, here. So, what's going on in your part of the world?

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197379/#new

Enjoy, everyone and take care.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HI everyone!

Wish that our rain down here could be sent somewhere else. There may finally be a pond in my yard that I have wanted for some time. LOL

Hugs,

Nancy

mulege, Mexico

We can most always use rain here in the desert but I do enjoy our clear sunny days with ble skies and a view of the Sea of Cortez. Our beautiful blue weather" as my mother wonce described it.

Tony and I went to Santa Rosalia (35 niles up the road) yesterday and spent aobout $500 on lumbwer and concrete sealer. A sheet of plywood that is $70 is $50 ther and we get a 10% discount because we are good customers. It's a tiring trip, though, I napped all afternoon when we got back while Tony went on to his other job.

For the cost of lumber here I could probably have driven to Ca. and bought the stuff and saved money but it's too long a trip. We are having to replace the wood frames for areas that shade the east side of the house. Part of it came down with a tree Tony took out and part was termite infested. However, all had been built mostly with salvaged lumber and last five or six years so replacing it is just one of those upkeep things. Work on a house is never done, it seems. Tony and I are booth good about remembering to take breaks to admire all we have accomplished. While doing that we also sealed and are painting the brick wall which is the outside of the kitchen. It looks much better. I finally asked my neighbor Dana to stop with remarks about how nice it will be when I get something more done. As There were nothing but some concrete block walls and one rough floor when I moved it I am big on appreciation for what I have, not what I maight have someday. The secret of happiness: be grateful for what you have.

The plumerias are starting to bloom here. Also the flame trees, which are breathtaking. These are both in full bloom in town and just starting where I am which is east of town and right by the Sea.

My other good news is that I have now lost a little over fifty pounds. My right arm is unfrozen but still sore due to loss of muscle tone while it was froen for many months. It got unfrozen when I had a short bout of projectile vomiting. I find this very funny but not everyone appreciates this medical discovery of mine.

My family of five dogs are all fine and get along much better than my siblings and I ever did. I take some pride in that.

hugs, katie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have missed you, katie.

mulege, Mexico

I've been lurking here so I keep up with you. Between a bad knee and the shoulder that was frozen for several months, I've been coping with a lot of pain. It's very frustrating.

Tony continues to be here six days a week. He's not here today; he's branding calves at his father's ranch. We were laughing yesterday because neither of us knew what day it was. Guess we're both pretty happy with each other. Tony is a grandfather now. don't remember if I said that here before. His oldest son, Luis, has a son. He lives on the mainland so we haven't seen the baby yet,

Most of the snowbirds are gone for the summer so things are quiet here. This is the time when seaweed washes in. My friend Rafael brings it to me for $20 a truck load. I have a huge "haystack" of seaweed and palm logs - the basics for my amended soil.

We have a new garden going in out front. I get to have more contact with my neighbors when I work there. I'm getting to be less withdrawn I think.

We are starting to get our seriously hot and humid weather. Time to finish up what we can before we go into survival mode until October.

hugs, katie

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thinking of everyone. Plumerias have started to bloom here as well.

Aloha,
Jeanne

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Been busy working and trying to get weeds caught up in my garden. No easy feat this year!! I have 2 small iris beds that now need to be weeded and one also needs to be replanted I think. I will have a better idea when I check it out tomorrow.

We have been steaming hot up here this spring and now summer. It has felt like June and July almost all spring with temps in the 80s and 90s almost everyday. I hate to think what later this month and July will bring.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yep, it's been warm here too, pepper. Can't wait for July, as you said. If we didn't get rain most afternoons here, this place would be a desert.

Hap

It's been bone dry here. There is no rain in the forcast for the forseeable future and there has been very little so far this season already.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We had 1/2 inch last and 1 1/2 inches in just 2 hours this afternoon. Forecast is for more the next 2 days. Not our usual blessing.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

We are getting our more than fair share of rain here. It rains every day. Sometimes it's torrential. Other times it's just a spritzing but rain every day. Throw in spectacular lightning and record-setting thunder that rolls and rolls for up to 10 seconds and you have our weather here. I specially have it when you see the flash and in the same instant, hear the tunder. That means that lightning struck very close. I bit a certain delay between flash and boom.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Rain! I'm in the Catskills and really up north til October and I am so sick of rain that I can't stand it! 50 degrees each morning and I'd give anything for some heat and humidity-- of course I may change my tune come July ! When it thunders here it REALLY does sound like a bowling alley. Storms are almost as wicked as South FLorida.
I do miss the garden-- but worked in a friend's garden last week(on the last warm day) and enjoyed messing with peonies and roses and hydrangeas. A nice change of pace.
Has anyone heard of a champedek tree? It was on the Top Tropicals newsletter and looks interesting.
On the home front-- am having ixoras around the pool cage ripped out and replaced with gardenias, new piping around the pool for the orchids as they are just not getting enough sun and air around the koi pond. Hopefully all will be done by the time I get home. I am getting home for a week in August and a week in September. Hate this schedule, but it's worth it to be home for 3 months in the fall.
Happy Thursday!
Had to send along some decidedly NORTHERN pictures for this thread for some fun!

Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

We would like some of that rain here, the trees are looking very tired from the lava dust that comes along with the trade winds. At this time of year most of our trees drop some of their leaves - weird isn't it? I am knee deep in dead leaves and have been making many runs to the green waste each week.

On a bright note - we have litchi fruit on the tree this year! We have only had fruit on this tree 3 times since we have lived here, conditions must have been right this spring but I don't know what those conditions are! We are enjoying them although I wouldn't say the tree is loaded.

Mangos are in full swing so I have been busy dehydrating them to send to the kids who eat them like candy. We can't send fresh fruit to the mainland so this is the next best thing to cope with the glut we get from the 6 trees, luckily they are all different varieties so the harvest is somewhat spread out.

Mom is doing much better and we have finally talked her into having cateract surgery for her one remaining eye. She is scared to death and wouldn't even be considering it if it were not for the fact that she can't see anything now. Her surgery is set for the 12th. Fingers X'ed that I actually get her there on the big day!

I retired from work three weeks ago and was a lady of leisure for exactly 4 days - the first weekend I had to spend with Frank in 5 years - it was wonderful! Then I got a call that a co-workers son was in the hospital on life support and would I come back in to cover! Finally retired last Friday, this time for good! I have been so busy since then - restained the staircase, etc, etc, etc. Life is good!

Jenn

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
mulege, Mexico

Tell Mom I've had two cataract surgeries and it's a piece of cake. Really. Both done as out-patient and recovery was fast and painless. And I'm a baby about these things.

Tony and I went to town today and noticed one mango tree that is loaded with fruit. We are able to buy some from other parts of the county and they are really good this time of year.

I think your rates for emergency returns to work should be the same as those for an emergency room doctor.

Tony is working on the new shade for the east side of the house. I'm working on curtains for the shelves where I keep a lot of craft supplies. Being in a desert we have endless dust.

katie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Jenn, would you share how you dehydrate the mangos? The ones we buy in stores here on the east coast almost look and taste like they have been sugared.

My neighbor who is blind in one eye and has an advanced case of wet macular degeneration in the other just had a cataract removed from that eye and he is very pleased with the results. Best wishes for your mom.

Congratulations on your retirement although it does not sound like you are resting much. Good for you!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Yay, Jen! So glad that Margaret is better. It has been 7-8 years since I retired and I have busier than ever. I think when one works away from home many projects just don't get done. The morning glory tree you sent last year is in it's glory. (pun intended). Learned not to take a chance and plant it in-ground. The one Randy had given me last 2 winters and the snow got it. Oh fresh fruit. All the news about what is sprayed onto fruit by commercial growers makes me pretty uneasy. Going to Payton's ballet recital tonight. She is a senior this year and this will probably be the last. Her teacher and her mother want her to accept a dance scholarship to TCU but she wants to be a surgical nurse. Much better. Love to all of you. I miss our chats.

PK

Virginia Beach, VA

Brave,
Those mangoes looks good and it is plentiful at the market too. They6 are from Chile and are cheap. 9 big ones for $ 7.99. We all love it and usually buy 2 boxes. the yellow mexican are very pricey,

Belle

Aloha,

Ardesia, dehydrating mango couldn't be simpler - but they do become extremely sweet as the drying concentrates the natural sugars in the fruit. I cut down the "cheeks" of the mango into slices and then down the sides into strips. For the odd bits and pieces from around the pit, I puree and make fruit leather. Simply put them on the rack of the dehydrator and dry for about 12 hours - depends on the thickness of course...When they are dried you may see small blobs of crystallized sugar on the surface. I hope the pics show the sugar blobs!

Thank you all for your support for Mom - I will read them to her when I go over to the Ohana in a few minutes for a cup of tea (it's still early here!) We are doing the dreaded count down to D Day now.

Off this morning to the beach with Frank. We meet up with lots of friends on a Saturday morning - something I have not been able to do in years because of work and I am excited to be able to "talk story" with them. The sea looks gorgeous this morning from my window...

Edited to say I run the dehydrator at 135 degrees...

This message was edited Jun 9, 2012 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

Oh my, they look fabulous. I do not have a dehydrator but I do have a convection oven that goes down to 150 degrees. I am going to try them in that. I did wonder about that sugar - thanks!

Virginia Beach, VA

Those looks yummy. We have 2 sets of dehydrators so i am going to try them.

Belle

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Jen, I too have had both eyes done years ago, so I was much younger. Both done as outpatient and went well.

We finally got some rain, so the garden is very happy!

My sister is still in rehab. They are trying to get her antiseizure meds adjusted.

She will probably be there a few more days.

Aloha, Love to all,
Jeanne

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congradulations Jenn, I'm envious re retirement!
I have been traveling a lot since I've no garden to care for...was in Colorado Springs visiting family, was great. Got tired of answering "how I like Chicago?" I just say I travel a lot...lol
Hi pep, hap, PK, Jeanne, ardesia, sylvain, bear!
rj

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 6:46 AM

Awwww RJ, good to hear from you, hang in there and keep traveling. Happy (belated) birthday BTW.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2012 8:29 AM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I love, love, love it when I see this thread is alive. Randy, 2 years will go in a hurry. It was 4 years ago already since you visited here. (I am getting old really fast)

PK

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

really?! that long...will have to fix that
thx re bd

Kailua Kona, HI

We were on the mainland for 3 weeks and returned to find that our parched surroundings here in Kona had turned green. We're next to a large pasture that was dry as a bone, so we are relaxing a bit about the possible fire hazard. Mangoes are going great, lemons and oranges forming fruit, and all my lettuce bolted. Not much luck with tomatoes here because of too much humidity and nematodes in the soil, so I'm trying pots with a University of Hawaii hybrid, but they are pretty pitiful. Shower trees and orchid trees are in bloom here and monkeypod beginning to get new leaves.

Thumbnail by Konagirl
mulege, Mexico

At www.jlhudsonseedsman.net they have talked about seeds that are for plants that are supposed to trap menatodes. Can't remember the name but they have a search engine (though I often can't figure it out). I think it was rattlebox or something like that but it's been a while. I read their catalog for amusement. They are also nice about answering emails. kb

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, dear. Haven't accessed the Tropical Zone forum in some time. Decided to take a quick look. After scrolling down the page, I don't recognize one single DGer. Makes me sad.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Prayers needed.

Sylvain is in the hospital with a bad infection on his thigh. Any extra prayers hanging around would be appreciated by both him and his wife Gail.

Thank Family,

Nancy

Oh my goodness, all good thoughts and prayers are being sent. Please give both of them my love.
Jenn

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Prayers for both of them. They have a really difficult year with health. Diabetes is a stealth killer.

Nancy, if you talk to them, please tell them I am worrying over them and praying for everything to turn out good. Thank you for notifying us.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jen, is tomorrow the day for your mother's cataract surgery? I know it will be ok and she will have better sight. Love you both.

PK

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I sure will, Christi.

The last time he was in the hospital he had his laptop with him, but now I think he's too ill.

Nancy

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! Hi RJ!!!!! So good to hear from you.

Jen hope your Mom's surgery went well.

Saying prayers for Sylvain!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your prayers, my sister Joanne is finally home. She came home Tues, the 12th. The keppra is making her very nausuated, so pray this too shall pass. We are all very thankful! It has been a very long month...

We are all resting! No additional news on Mom's house, so keep praying it sells!

Take care of yourselves, and again, Thanks so much for your prayers!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha,

Nancy, how is Sylvain doing? Have you heard anything? He is such a dear man and I am thinking of him and Gail constantly.

Jeanne, so very glad that your sister is doing better, what a rough time your family has had lately. My thoughts are with you and yours too.

Thanks for asking PK, Mom is doing great! The day after surgery she was seeing at 20/30 - it's a whole new world for her! She keeps saying things like "I didn't know the walls were painted that color", etc, etc. She is feeling so much more confident that she has agreed to take a trip with me to NC to visit my daughter and her family. We leave on the 21st, for 10 days. I am hoping this is just the start of us not being so house bound anymore. We do have to go to the drug store and get her a pair of reading glasses to make do with until her vision appointment which is on the 11th of July when they can get an accurate reading of her close up vision.

Not much on the home front - still dealing with mango, and now the star fruit tree is loaded with blossom! We get so many fruit from the star fruit tree that I have to take them down to work, the firestation, the beach, anywhere there are lots of people...Visitors are always so shocked that anyone would be giving away fruit, it's quite funny! Little do they know just how many I have to get rid of! Most have never had starfruit before so I cut up a plateful and they can taste test. They all go in a flash. I wish the food bank would take fresh fruit, but I guess they don't have a way to keep them. The church runs a meal program and will take some just before they are serving the meals up but don't take more than they can use that day.

We have just heard that we may be getting a Target store on the Island - we are really getting into big time now! Of course it will take years to get it built so I am not holding my breath. Could all be a rumor on the coconut wireless!

Jenn

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Such good news. I have not yet had cataract surgery but those I know say it changes everything. Some things in modern medicine are terrific. Wish I were there, I would take care of the star fruit. We do have it in the grocery from time to time but as you can imagine, it is past it's prime and very expensive.

The Morning Glory tree you sent has grown into a tree (all be it in a pot) and gives both of us great pleasure every morning. Growing mostly Texas natives these days as the last two years pretty much killed everything else no matter the amount of TLC.

Going to dinner tonight with several people that populated Mike's world before he retired almost 6 years ago. Expect it to be a great celebration that we are still with the living. hahahahaha

Nancy, be sure you tell Sylvain that we love him dearly.

Princess Kilikina

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I talked to Gail little bit ago and she sounded so happy ! She talked to Sylvain via the nurses station and she said he sounded good. She acted as though she was dancing. They hope that he will be able to get out of ICU into a regular room tomorrow.

It all sounds good!!!!

Gail says thanks for all the prayers!!

Hap

Glad to hear Sylvain is doing better!!

Jenn, yay on the cataract surgery!! Definitely a whole new world for her!!

My internet was acting up yesterday and I couldn't get on. Catching up now!!

Dealing with high temps again and low humidity. The low humidity is a mixed blessing. It makes it feel better but raises the fire risks around here. Despite a heavy rain earlier in the week we are still extremely dry.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the update, Nancy. Will continue to ask God the Father for blessings on Gale and Sylvain.

Hey, Amanda. We have had more rain than the law allows. Very, very unusual for June in Texas. Of course, two days ago a huge area of DFW got hail that was just unbelievable. You may have seen it on the news. It was all around us and only with the Grace of God were we spared. Another weather anomaly.

Love all of you. Take care and hope this is a great weekend for everyone. Especially Sylvain and Margaret (Jen's mom).

I heard about that hail. Saw it on the news. That was wild looking!! I have family who live in Tyler and supposedly they didn't get it either. Glad it skipped you!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.