Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: The Coconut Wireless - chat thread 3, 1 by Braveheartsmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Braveheartsmom

In reply to: The Coconut Wireless - chat thread 3

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of The Coconut Wireless - chat thread 3
Braveheartsmom wrote:
Aloha,

Ardesia, dehydrating mango couldn't be simpler - but they do become extremely sweet as the drying concentrates the natural sugars in the fruit. I cut down the "cheeks" of the mango into slices and then down the sides into strips. For the odd bits and pieces from around the pit, I puree and make fruit leather. Simply put them on the rack of the dehydrator and dry for about 12 hours - depends on the thickness of course...When they are dried you may see small blobs of crystallized sugar on the surface. I hope the pics show the sugar blobs!

Thank you all for your support for Mom - I will read them to her when I go over to the Ohana in a few minutes for a cup of tea (it's still early here!) We are doing the dreaded count down to D Day now.

Off this morning to the beach with Frank. We meet up with lots of friends on a Saturday morning - something I have not been able to do in years because of work and I am excited to be able to "talk story" with them. The sea looks gorgeous this morning from my window...

Edited to say I run the dehydrator at 135 degrees...

This message was edited Jun 9, 2012 10:11 AM