Summer in YOUR neck of the woods, come chat :-)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thought I'd give Betty a break .. hope I do this FLIP over OK ^_^

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255146/

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Home from a VERY soggy trip !!!!
How disappointing .. but .. I got a book read, and we played cards til we were bleary eyed .. Lorna's parents will have a strong team to contend with when they get here in a week or so ..
Last evening we thought we were going to be either flooded out, or, in a tornado!!! Quite the scare.
Noticed LOTS of flooding on the drive back home, and, our Kakabeka Falls is just BOOMING ..
Have a few pics to show .. of course :-)

ONE will be the Amber Jubilee Nine Barks (woof woof) :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Forgot to add a pic of Kakabeka Falls .. I actually do not know HOW I got the nerve to walk down to the viewing pod and take the pics !!
I was trying to speak to visitors from the US and we were YELLING at one another because the Falls are so loud ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks for moving us over...

Love the photo's "M" too bad that the weather wasn't better.

Bet you still had opportunity to relax which you wouldn't have done at home..
Nice ninebark..will have to look for it.

Been out all day finishing front gardens..bought red mulch, had thought I would use it around the smaller pond but ended up doing 3 of the 4 front ones..tidies it up..will go to town tomorrow and pick up 5 or 6 more bags..need about 30 but little aveo just can't carry that many lol

Did rain heavy for all but 3 minutes then sunshine out, nice breeze so nice for working outside

I'm so dirty, thinking of taking hot bath and doing next to nothing tonight, doubt that will happen but we shall see.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - Great pics! Looks like the accessibility was all Lorna needed, eh? That must have been Very relaxing for you both, even though you didn't get fishing :-) Great pic of the falls! And the boat!
So, Lorna's parents are card players too....... play for matches?

Betty - hear that mulch has to be laid 3"....... our friend had me do that last year for all her gardens and expect you have even more! It's so good to stifle weeds :-)

Bob Just got a call re: working interview - he's to go on Monday 8am to work with someone on a house (last guy's last day is today, not 1 month ago as was originally set......... or maybe it's someone that didn't work out?!?! dunno).
Anyway, Bob's to bring some tools and I think ladders, and they'll see how he works out. If yes, then he has a job! It's exterior work, so I don't have any more details. Bob had seen this guy working and Bob figured he should probably work at what he's been doing for years before, rather than go with Warehouse that he's only done for 3 years...... Hope it turns out for Bob & isn't Just outside work, cuz who knows what the winter season will bring..... last year almost no snow.......this year?!?!?!

Add to that, my call to work 2-3 weeks temp at a higher rate than I get for EI - we're happy campers here!!
Betty - we're skimming by again!

Victoria Harbour, ON

You have to in some ways be the luckiest couple..always seems no end to problems then voila, something comes up..I'm so glad for you both!

As for mulch Susan, I put newspaper down between plants, then new soil then mulch..just tidying it up for less work this summer..I'm believing the weathermen that it might be a hot one with no rain so am preparing.

This just hit the news !!
Jeeze Louise :-(

BTW .. we live in Oliver/Paipoonge, BUT, up high !!

~M~

http://netnewsledger.com/2012/05/25/flood-watch-issued-by-lakehead-regional-conservation-authority/

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

you're soooooo right, Betty - as I said to our pastor the other day, my name Susan means "lily" and I told him I was like on of the "lillies of the field" in the bible - they neither toil, nor do they reap, but the Lord provides.
We do try to Toil, however yesterday I prayed harder than I ever have for a resolution for us - was so upset and asked the Lord "Please, please, please help us......." and today we both got calls. Not to say that he can help all the people all the time, but it sure is nice he's helping us now......
I wish all the people of the world would be helped. There are so many that have problems much bigger than ours.....
We at least have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and friends, friends, friends! There are agencies out there to help as well. We'd find it difficult to pay the rent and bills sometimes, but we Will get through. I just hope and pray that sometime we get perm jobs that "work" for our needs.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg "M" you will all need an ark? You must be getting the rain for all of Ontario..keep safe!! Now think of it this way, what if it was snow..yikes

Susan, he did listen, perhaps he was on a break and said what to heck, I've got time to help one more!

Bit of a meeting this afternoon, me Darlene,Suzanne..one missing but we will fill her in. Lol
I will work on travels plans for St,Louis, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville for first week August.. I have to plan the day, hotels, activities which I enjoy and am good at..even a budget..last year we had $100 left over so enjoyed a good meal before crossing to the Canadian side..we are hoping 7 days but have 9 to play with..oh happy days

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I know he listened Betty - sometimes I just get down and start to go through the motions of Everything, and now I'm being more proactive and with my "normal" life.
For instance, I just mailed off a whole bunch of quilt blocks that needed to go out (one, to France, and was supposed to go on April 7th....... ooooooopsie!). I just didn't have the energy to do much more than stuff at home and playing on the computer. I had to give myself a good shake and Get It Done. Sometimes it's difficult to give oneself a shake......

I need 'SHAKER SUSAN' :-)
I am trying desperately to get 'into' the frame of mind i NEED to be in to have company for 2 weeks.
Lorna's folks are nice people, but, I was brought up so as to fulfill EVERY need a guest might have (thanks MoM) .. last year I was able to bee bop about and DO lots, this year I have slowed down considerably .. the arthritis in the hips and back makes most things just a bit iffy .. but .. I push .. and I pay ..
So Susan .. SHAKE ME UP ^_^

Betty, your trip sounds fabulous .. ENJOY !!!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" just let them know you have not been well ! Am sure Lorna has told them all about it..don't do more than you can without paying for it later..

Yikes bad storms heading Ottawa way
ViolaAnn, batten down the hatches!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

"Shake, shake, shake your booty........"
But we have to have you be careful with your hips and back.............. how about if I just turn you upside down and shake you "north to south"???
yes, surely Lorna's parents will understand that you're "one year older" and have arthritis problems.......anyway, will THEY be able to join you in the bee bop? LOL Like to see them try........ send pictures!!!! LOL

Smiling here ^_^
Fortunately Lorna's folks are both 80+ .. active, but, both suffer from arthritic joints, so, I am sure they'll understand ..
We were going to get back to swimming, but fer cryin out loud it seems there is never any TIME to slot it in .. we need 2 hours max .. we'll see .. gardening and grass cutting have taken precedence it seems .. and.. that's as it should be.

I hope ViAnn doesn't get the storms we had (and are getting again tomorrow) .. batten down the hatches for sure !!!

I have decided I will NEVER again buy chairs that do not have permanent CUSHIONS on'em .. gawd .. I have to ,yet again, re sew (by hand) the fasteners that hold the cushions on the chair !!! I even used dental floss the last time on a couple !!! Guess there's lots of friction and torque there from people moving about on them .. but, the chairs go with my set, so, suck it up ..

Off to plant a rose bush ..

Hope everyone is a well as they want to be

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lol, wasn't too far off your train of thought, figure by the time fall comes my gardens will be cleaned..why do we do such things to ourself.
Day will be over and not much more done than cleaning another flower bed, grass mowed and watered..not the things I wanted to get done today unless I get a burst of energy..is it me or are we feeling much older this year?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - how about affixing the cushions via epoxy or crazy glue (guess that would be more expensive though...). Or even put glue on the places where they're 'ripping' out when you finish sewing this time?

I'm cutting fabric for more cushions for our church hall. Will give them to Gloria to use her serger for it. Bless her heart for offering to do them!!!

Susan .. my chairs match my buffet and china cabinet and are made from oak .. I would never want to affix something permanently.
It only took me about half an hour to sew the 'tie down thingies' back on .. washed and Pledged the chairs, and put the seat cushions back on .. all in all they look good.

Took a pic of one of the perennial beds .. Bleeding Heart.Iris and Peony are coming along, and I still have plastic bags on sticks over the Daylilies to scare off the deer .. pic is kinda dreary though .. and it was a sunny day ..

Property is cut and trimmed out .. 5 hours for Lorna to do that .. man she amazes me .. looks beautiful ..

I'm off to look up Rhubarb coffee cake recipes .. I have an abundance of rhubarb and it's PRIME TIME ^_^

Toodles

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

OH - of Course you wouldn't want to. For some reason I thought you were talking about patio chairs....
Couldn't you still glue down the ties to the cushions without it being visible? Crazy glue, used discriminately, is clear....

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Finally found my way over here. Turned off the computer early because of those storms on Friday. We got off relatively easy but some areas of the city had hail - my local hosta nursery owners own garden which is not far from here, was battered by hail. I saw him yesterday in Montreal - spent the day there with a group from the Ottawa Hort. Society which took a day trip to the Botanical Garden. They were having a special gardening weekend with plants for sale and lots of exhibits. Must have walked for 3 hours yesterday.

MORE rain here, anticipate 25-45mm .. creeks are running high, and we have flood watches in place .. we'll do OK as long as the culvert at the end of our driveway hold on !!!
Happily we have NO hail (fingers crossed)

ViAnn .. sounds as though you had an enjoyable day yesterday .. lots of walking for sure. Did you see any different species of Hosta ?

Susan .. I will just 'go' with the sewing for now .. the ties are secure, and I have tied them in a different configuration .. instead of tying them to the spindles on the backs of the chairs, I have gone around the spindle and then down to the top of the leg of the chair and anchored them there .. Gord seems to think there will be less stress and strain that way .. we'll see.
The set is 25 years old, my Mom and Dad bought it for me when we moved here .. so .. replacing the chairs with ones that have permanent cushioning is not an option .. yet.. I'm way too sentimental it seems ^_^

I should get busy .. WAS going to make a rhubarb coffee cake, but, didn't pick the rhubarb yesterday, and certainly don't fancy going out in this rain to fetch some ..
Have 5 Scrabble games going online .. guess I can play with that for a bit ..

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ViolaAnn - were the greenhouse owners away when their plants were endangered by hail, or were the plants still in the ground? Weather can be terribly devastating for a business.....

M - glad there's a solution for the cushions. I'm a sentamentalist too, so I Totally understand about not "harming" the chairs!!!!!

Well, off to get ready for Church - cya all later!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - it was his personal back yard garden that was damaged by hail. He uses it as a display garden, but said it won't be open this year. He lost a lot of his shade last summer - trees on the neighbour's property which were taken down - likely ash trees and we are being hit hard by Emerald Ash Borer. He's planning to build pergolas for shade, but has been too busy so far. I'm pretty sure his business is OK.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

glad to hear you think his business is OK, but very disheartening to hear of his personal / display garden being ruined!
I love pergolas - look so decorative

Well .. it has been quite a day !!
I was sitting playing Scrabble when the dogs went 'CANINECRAZY' .. I got up and went to the back door, opened it, and there in front of the garage was one of our 60' Poplar trees .. KABOOM !! Fell down in half, hit the garage and came to lay across both bay doors ..
So .. after calling the Insurance Company (our second claim in 40 years) we were given the OK to clear the tree away ourselves .. as a matter of fact, the insurance company does NOT pay for the tree clean up and removal .. but .. they will pay for the damage to the soffit and facia and one of the windows.
Had this have been yesterday, there is a better than good chance one of us would have been in the area !!!
Am attaching 2 pictures ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

omygoodness, Marilyn!! glad you were safe inside and the tree didn't head towards the house!! Happy you're safe!
So, the insurance company won't arrange for the removal - will they reimburse you for any charges incurred?

Nope .. the tree and its removal is totally our problem .. and that's ok for US .. Gord has chainsaws and other equipment to aid in the removal, and we'll burn the wood either outside or inside ..
Feel bad for anyone else who has the misfortune and hasn't the resources to work with..

The fix up on the garage will be covered ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

glad the garage will be covered!

OMG!!!
Floods and more floods are the order of the day here .. we are stuck here, our driveway is gone .. as are the culverts across the main road into the city ..
WIll post more pics once I get them downloaded .. AND .. more rain on the way !!!!!

Here is footage of our 'NIAGARA of the NORTH' .. Kakabeka Falls .. just powerful and spectacular !!! BUT, more rain and we are in trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9UaslM414&sns=fb

~M~

Just a quick HI and some pics .. waiting to hear whether our gas will be shut off, as well as waiting for insurance adjusters .
I now know what being in a disaster area is like, and, it's not nice. Thankfully we are all SAFE and well ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

OMG!!! I agree, Marilyn - Yikes!
Your gas may be cut off because of the high waters?
I'm SO glad you and yours are safe!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy "M"' been going through photo's and your posts, thank goodness you are home from camp and that you are safe..must be so devastating! Here it's hot and humid, July weather...when does your company arrive..

On the run!

As we speak the Township maintenance dept is repairing the end of our driveway .. at least that's what we think all the noise is about.

Lorna's folks arrive on Sunday around noon .. be here before I lnow it, AND, once again, I have an uncle unwell and iffy in hospital, and a good friend's Dad passed away last evening, funeral on Thursday (an hour before my dental hygienist appt) .. not sure what I'm going to do about that one ..
Suffice to say we have a FULL week ahead of us ... be still my heart !!

Betty, I hear you guys have VERY high temps .. given the choice, I think I'd still take the rain ... hmmmmmmmmmmm .. maybe not ....

Sun is out right now, best go an have a good look out there !

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

You sure have a lot on your plate..

I'm off to batten down the hatches, make sure everything is secured..after all the work done in gardens sure hope the weather forecasted for here tonight

Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Issued at Monday, 28 May, 2012 6:25 PM

Risk of severe thunderstorms this evening. This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall..Monitor weather conditions and listen for updated bulletins.
Scattered thunderstorms are expected to track through portions of the above regions later this evening. Some of these storms could be locally severe with damaging winds, large hail, torrential downpours and frequent cloud to ground lightning, there will also be the risk for an isolated tornado.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

YIKES Betty & Marilyn!! Send them the ARK, someone!!! Who has it now?!?!?!

WHAT a couple of week days I've been having............
1. Friday, got a call to start an work assignment tomorrow (Tues)
2. This am I went to another agency and they tested me on computer software (MSOffice)
3. Got a call from Another agency, saying they saw my resume on Monster.ca and have a position they think will be a "fit" for me - they sent me a test of knowledge of computer software (MSOffice) - I've done some of the test modules and I will take the rest of the test tonight.
4. Got an email from Another agency - saw my resume on Monster.ca, wanted my updated resume and cover letter. I sent both, plus 4 Excellent references. She called me while I was taking #3's test, so I got her # and called her when I finished a test module. I spoke to her, and she outlined an Exec Assistant position with an IT CIO and thinks I would be an excellent "fit" for it. She suggested $1 more/hr than I asked for, and said it, and the yearly were in line with what the company wants to pay. Only drawback - it's downtown, so I'd have to take the bus....... and it's horrendous, both for parking AND bus - connections are Not good. siiiiiiiiiigh

My brain's a-spinning, and I'm reeling with the possibilities! First, a dearth of job interviews, and Then This?!?! I'm not complaining, believe me!!!!!!

Susan .. guess this is the right time to say 'never rains, but, it pours' !!
Quite the situation to be in, and I am so hoping you can find a good 'fit' that benefits both you and your employer to be.
Parking and transportation in 'the BIG city' is such a bone of contention. Have friends and relatives living in Toronto who has resorted to bikes .. that just plain scares me !!
Good luck with your decisions ..

Last night we had MORE rain, and, at about 1015pm there was a flash of lightening that was so brilliant followed by the most AMPLIFIED clap and rumble of thuner I have ever heard !! Poor Piper .. supposedly all is OK for us to head east into town .. we'll see I guess.
Betty, I hope your predicted storm was not too bad ..

Take care everyone

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

More Rain, Marilyn? when will it stop?!?!?!

re: Bob - it seems he would be getting paid as a self-employed worker. ie: work when the weather's good. Not liking that........ I'm egging him on to look for a full-time perm inside job.......

Well, I'd better get ready for my first day on my assignment.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,

Best of luck Susan..sounds as though things are looking up for you both!!!

"M" had heavy rain, no storm (if there was I slept through it)! Calling for thunderstorms this afternoon but was sunny coming in.

Safe travels everyone

A good day as days go .. saw LOTS of devastation on the ride into the city, waters in creeks are high and RUSHING .. some severe flooding of basements in one portion of the city.
I consider myself lucky !!!

Hope all went well for you today Susan ^_^

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - how's going by you?
Yesterday and today I wore my "lucky" jewellry...... made by Betty lol It seems to be working!!!

Susan .. hope the 'lucky jewllery' is still working for you, wish we had some here in TBay.
We're still under a state of emergency in the city and surrounding Townships, but, the road repair work is nothing compared to the loss in homes .. thousands of basements received 4-6 FEET of water in them, and some of that water was SEWAGE water ..
I consider myself lucky .. our driveway was repaired and we were able to leave the property by Tuesday afternoon. Mind, driving is a bit treacherous going past the washouts, but, considered safe. Oh YAY .. I won't miss my dental hygienist appt today !!

Frost in places across the city .. gardening may be a NON issue in this area .. Gord's seed potatoes are exposed .. and some of his seeds washed away .. the veg garden is so wet he can't get into it ..

Hoping everyone is doing fine and dandy

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.