Post photo of your favorite perennial combinations, Part 2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pfg,thanks.There are a dozen problems I need to fix before its finished.Dont stand on one leg waiting.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Lol... Take your time! There's no way to rush art, but the preliminary looks great.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its done
Chiyo-no-Haru- "onethousand springs"

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Bravo! It's beautiful!

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I can't zero in on favorite perennial combinations, but I do have favorite fotos of great combinations. Here's one, lupines and day liliies.

LAS

Thumbnail by LAS14
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Very Pretty!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree,good choice.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

mostly lilies
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49794f5463784d44513d0d0a&blogview=true

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful ge! Love that Yarrow with the Lilies and also the Drumstick Allium and the Helios. :)

(Zone 4b)

Shasta Becky with Coreopsis Cosmic Eye with Big Blue Sea Holly:

Thumbnail by rouge21
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I had Coreopsis Cosmic Eye last year but it did not come back this Spring. Only the Center stage and Route 66 came back and they got very large. This is the first year I have grown Shasta Daysies, and I like them, hope to divide them in the Spring. Here is Center Stage coreopsis and two clematis. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I really like that Coreopsis Cosmic Eye!

Etelka, what is the purple clematis called? Nice garden. :)

ge, nice smilebox!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Virginiarose, the name is HF Young. I got two at Lowe's last year and this year they have been blooming a lot, even in this heat they are full of buds. Also my Sunset is having a lots of new growth, next week I will have new babies. First is Sunset the other two are HF Young this Spring. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had heard some varieties of coreopsis were hard to establish.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

blooms from today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a497a4d6a49794e6a6b3d0d0a&blogview=true

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Etelka!!

Great smilebox ge!! As far as Coreopsis, I only have had Moonbeam and it was easy and it also has the longest bloom time, or so I have heard. I would like to try a few others next year.

susan

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

While I've enjoyed looking at all the photo's there have been several that have really caught my eye since I may be able to use them in my garden.

birder17, peony and salvia vb!
Donnamack, white and blue salvia!
pfg, clematis with roxanne geranium. I just got roxanne and put it by walkers low salvia .... BIG mistake. It bloomed but was overtaken by the walkers low.
rouge21: Shasta Becky with Coreopsis Cosmic Eye with Big Blue Sea Holly ... very interesting ... first time I've liked big blue sea holly in a combo. You may just have convinced me it is worth growing. lol

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

1-Clematis Ernest Markam with old red rose. clematis - clematis jackmanii supra with New Dawn climbing rose.
2- fern with ox eyed daisy. not so great of a pic. they were past their prime.
3- white lilies with hosta. They really brighten up this dark garden.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals Thumbnail by toofewanimals Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

2009 cottage garden, a tall blue salvia(don't know name), salvia Caradonna (dark purple), walkers low. Lavender.
Lots of different dianthus. the big dark pink groups of dianthus is amazon dianthus.Purple sedum close to the post. galardia, liatris, veronica purple candles and others. Turns out one side bloomed earlier than the other.

After not doing anything to this garden for 3 years .... no watering, no fertilizing. Most of the dianthus has died out, the sedum is gone along with the Helenium (Sneezeweed). The Lavender and walkers low are taking over. The purple cone flower blooms but is not spreading. The Galardia is still holding its own.

I would really like to work in some shorter daisy and replant the dianthus.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

toofewanimals, great pictures, you are right about the white lilies. They sure brighten up a shady spot. Love your gardens, it's all so Cottage!! :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

toofew, all the pictures are great, and the white lilies are a fabulous choice.

(Zone 4b)

I had meant to post this earlier this summer (I hope I didnt already put it on DG in another thread)

Veronica Royal Candles (I especially love this plant) with a Kniphofia of some sort and finally Dianthus Heart Attack:

Thumbnail by rouge21
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

rouge: I have Royal Candles and just love it.I like the combo you have.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful scene, rouge!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Love the Veronica Royal Candles!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Kiseta...just a hint....divide those daisies late summer or early fall, they'll still have time to settle back in and next spring you'll be suprised at how large your 2 (or more) clumps have become. In fact you could redivide come early spring and then have even more.......Daisies can fill in fast. I did this with the daisies at my daughters house and now look. (normally they are 48"^, but dry year and are much shorter at 30-36", am thinking they are Becky).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's one from early spring, I like how the jj's reseeded themselves in.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice pix of iris and jj's

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I love the jj's with yellow or purple Irises. Really makes them pop and so easy, like you say they reseed easily and they are a nice surprise whenever they pop up.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

rouge, wonderful combo. Each one separate and yet making the other pop! The Kniphofia really lets you see the Dianthus Heart Attack, otherwise it would be lost in the back. I love V. royal candles too, I have a short row of it in the front of one of my gardens. I was going to make a complete border with it, but decided it didn't last long enough. You might like Veronica 'Giles Van Hees' ***** http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57842/*****.

warrior - love the JJ and iris combo. I never seem to to be able to get JJ's to grow well and forget about reseeding ... what is the secret?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I loved this Rose of Sharon leaning over the Japanese Maple.
the R of S died after about 15 years ... not sure what stressed her out.
We decided to put Fire bushes where she was ... not a good decision ... they are too protected to turn a flaming red. :o)

Thumbnail by toofewanimals Thumbnail by toofewanimals
(Zone 4b)

Quote from toofewanimals :
rouge, wonderful combo. Each one separate and yet making the other pop! The Kniphofia really lets you see the Dianthus Heart Attack, otherwise it would be lost in the back. [/quote]

Good analysis "toofewanimals".

Quote from toofewanimals :
rI love V. royal candles too, I have a short row of it in the front of one of my gardens. I was going to make a complete border with it, but decided it didn't last long enough.

Oh I don't find that at all with my RC. For me they flower for about 5 weeks starting in early June and once they are done I immediately shear them and...so by early August they again put out more flowers. Now these second flush flowers are more stubby than those in the first go but they are still worth it. Here is a picture of that second go round I took a couple of days ago.

[quote="toofewanimals"]You might like Veronica 'Giles Van Hees'

Thanks for the suggestion but I removed two of a sport of GVH about a month ago (Veronica 'Sweet Lullaby') as it takes too long to grow to produce flowers and is too small for my liking. And as I recall GVH is not a lot taller.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Just to let you ladies know I grow Veronica spicata (Sight Seeing, was a mix of pink, white and blue, at 28", the tallest on the market)..I found that if I want continuous bloom it's important to take some cuttings, ( ie for bouquets), and every week cut a few more stalks. Hence you will get continuous bloom from late spring to fall, this works with any long bloomer, so make your self a bouquet!!!! I also cut low and make the stems as long as possible. This also helps the plants to develop more stems and alot less of the candleabra effect. I hope the pix below show the difference. Thought I lost all my pinks one but saw one out there that had reseeded from one of the blues. (origional seed was from about 10-15 years ago. and I'm thinking I have a white one left at my daughters that needs to come home with me this year...(I need the seed), lol.....If anyone would like to try them from seed d-mail me, I just checked....those I didn't deadhead (blue) have some seed now and occasionally they do reseed a little in the garden so could be sown insitu or indoors under lights....

And a relative that I've grown, (just got some new ones last summer, can be hard to locate) is Veronicatrum virginianum, a veronica on stilts at 48"+.. Again pink, white and blue. With the drought that I had earlier this season it doesn't look like it will do much of anything this year....darn!!!!

toofew....I started my origional jjs (tricolor, now multicolors) from seed in a tray of 72 (under lights in winter), planted them out in the border that spring and have had them now for several years. I let them reseed on their own or if I want to spread them to other areas I pinch the full seed pods , pop them open and sprinkle about hoping they will take. Right now they are a bit sad looking as they need to be deadheaded so they will continue blooming....I located some orange and yellow solid colors that I'm adding to the border in a week or so, (when I can get back to planting, lol....busy, busy, busy.....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the celebration of the color blue!

And I am very grateful for your suggestions about cutting yourself a bouquet and insuring continual bloom. I have a billion vases. Why didn't I think of this?! I will do it, starting today.

Thank you!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 6:50 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Echies Harvest Moon
Phlox nikki

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes Donna, be kind to yourself, we should probably all do alittle more for ourselves......And yes I do have a bit of blue and purple going on in my garden, lol.....I'm trying to find some reds that are on the blue side of the color wheel, to go with the pinks, whites and varying shades of blue and purple. Eventually I will make a border of the hotter colors: red/orange, deep yellow golds, orange, and chartreuce (sp). And the most important of all, FRAGRANCE, just love it....

ge....Harvest Moon, that's one of those new ones? And I just love the color on that phlox, mine are mostly white and a few light pinks. Reallly says, HELLO, I'M HERE!!!! Fabulous......

Pix is Hesperis matronalis or false phlox, the fragrance is equisite!!!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Our color schemes are identical: blue, purple, white, pink and and throw in a pop of red or fuschia (sp?). I use reds by including roses. I had several red reblooming roses at my home, and I am adding them back, especially Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I can't have as many grasses, but reblooming red roses help a lot.

I started out with classic blue and white, which I just love. Traditionally yellow was added to this but I love red and pink.

Some of the roses from the house: Quadra, on the trellis, Morden Blush, and Heritage.

And there is nothing quite like a scented white rose - Glamis Castle.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Kathy: That is Phlox Nikky,its a tall one eventually.Just planted it this spring.It will mature with the echies Harvest Moon and Hot Summer. It should have a visual punch.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice photos, everyone.

I always try to pick most of my flowers when they are slightly past their prime, but will still look OK in a vase. That is my main mode of deadheading and I bring my bouquets in to work. They normally last about 3-4 days.

Here is a combo that I noticed the other day. The yellow of the crocosmia in front is echoed by the yellow of the black eye susan. (or yellow echinacea - can't tell the difference between the two)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.