Photo by Melody

Perennials: Post photo of your favorite perennial combinations, Part 2, 4 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Post photo of your favorite perennial combinations, Part 2

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Post photo of your favorite perennial combinations, Part 2
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Just to let you ladies know I grow Veronica spicata (Sight Seeing, was a mix of pink, white and blue, at 28", the tallest on the market)..I found that if I want continuous bloom it's important to take some cuttings, ( ie for bouquets), and every week cut a few more stalks. Hence you will get continuous bloom from late spring to fall, this works with any long bloomer, so make your self a bouquet!!!! I also cut low and make the stems as long as possible. This also helps the plants to develop more stems and alot less of the candleabra effect. I hope the pix below show the difference. Thought I lost all my pinks one but saw one out there that had reseeded from one of the blues. (origional seed was from about 10-15 years ago. and I'm thinking I have a white one left at my daughters that needs to come home with me this year...(I need the seed), lol.....If anyone would like to try them from seed d-mail me, I just checked....those I didn't deadhead (blue) have some seed now and occasionally they do reseed a little in the garden so could be sown insitu or indoors under lights....

And a relative that I've grown, (just got some new ones last summer, can be hard to locate) is Veronicatrum virginianum, a veronica on stilts at 48"+.. Again pink, white and blue. With the drought that I had earlier this season it doesn't look like it will do much of anything this year....darn!!!!

toofew....I started my origional jjs (tricolor, now multicolors) from seed in a tray of 72 (under lights in winter), planted them out in the border that spring and have had them now for several years. I let them reseed on their own or if I want to spread them to other areas I pinch the full seed pods , pop them open and sprinkle about hoping they will take. Right now they are a bit sad looking as they need to be deadheaded so they will continue blooming....I located some orange and yellow solid colors that I'm adding to the border in a week or so, (when I can get back to planting, lol....busy, busy, busy.....