Post photo of your favorite perennial combinations, Part 2

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Great pix! Love those Tiger Babies! :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are a sweet pachy color. Shorter this year as I transplanted them last fall.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Pic 1 is Veronica Incana Pure Silver, Lavender Munstead, both first year.

Pic 2 is an idea I got last fall while I was moving what seemed like every plant in the garden: yellow foliage, pink and creamy yellow and white flowers. Earlier there was a lot of blue from the iris cristata and forget-me-nots. Later there will be 'white' daylilies, green and lime flowering nicotianas, and buttercream nasturtiums. Right now it's very pink.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

combos for today
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e5463344d44673d0d0a&blogview=true

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Pfg, love the little pink garden and the way different plants get to show-off at different times. :)

Jo Ann, great smilebox!!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Jo Ann - you just made me want some Japanese Irises. When is the best time to order those?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant really remember but I think late summer.Ask Pollyk

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

JoAnn, thanks for the garden party info. It sounds pleasant. It sort of sounds like my mom's home extension club meetings. They had so much fun at the meetings.
I don't think I could pull off any kind of garden party to tour my gardens - they always seem to be in need of weed pulling, thinning, or something. I think they would have to be pretty perfect for guests.
I guess I need to think about David Nelson's song, "Garden Party": "Can't please everyone so you got to please yourself" and not worry so much about the gardens being perfect! Ha!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats why the party is made up of old friends,they forgive.
I havnt heard of the Home Extension Club in 50 years

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

June 21 a short album
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e7a4d304d6a413d0d0a&blogview=true

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Love those Japanese Iris!

I concur.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's been a fantastic year for JI's!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Pirl! How gorgeous they are! I don't have iris, and when I see pics like this I can't figure out why. Perhaps because I am in an older neighborhood and most houses have bearded iris, and they seem so huge. Yours look far more delicate.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl those are just lovely.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Love those Japanese irises. I had some a few years ago, but they slowly disappeared over the years. Will have to get some more.

Thanks for the compliments.

JI's are sometimes referred to as "floating butterflies" and with a breeze in the air it's easy to understand. The center photo is of Ocean Mist and we've measured it as 12" across.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had to check it gain.Its so ethereal.

I love the idea of the blooms being that huge. I have an 'Incrediball' Hydrangea. I think those would look good near it! Thanks for posting those! I have seen them at botanic gardens before and thought you had to have a pond for them to stay wet, but I guess that's not the case!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely dont ned wet.Mine are in clay with supliments of compost.

A few more...

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is the name of the first one.Looks like mine I might have misslabled.

Thoroughbred from Eartheart Gardens in Maine. Just three petals but very tall (37") and elegant.

That's it. What's a good mail order source? LOL.

Greywood Farm/Darlyn Wilkinson http://greywoodfarm.squarespace.com/previous-ji-introductions/

Eartheart Gardens/Sharon Whitney http://www.eartheartgardens.com/

The above are my two personal favorites. Every plant they sent in spring blooms the same year - no waiting three, four or more years to get bountiful blooms.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow...such beautiful iris ladies.
ge...Thanks to you I ended up getting one of those Campanula Blue Waterfalls from a local nursery. Hope it turns out at nice as your.
Early bloomers are done now and just waiting for more things to get going....

pix 1:Here my first, gosh not sure if it's a sib or japanese, lol
pix 2: Lilium pumilum at 18"
pix 3: anyone recognize this plant, is it a weed or perenn?
pix 4: Armeria maritima Bee's Hybrids, at 18-24" tall, grown from seed ( and if correct pix Knautia macedonica dark red)
pix5: Iris g. Denver Delight

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Is that some kind of Amaranth?

Thanks for all the tips about where to get the Iris!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You wont regret getting Blue Waterfalls. It behaves itself and makes babbies for transplanting elsewhere in the garden.
I have one baby from this spring,in a planter.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Is Blue Waterfalls a JI or a SI? I think the Siberian might do better here. I do like the idea of babies. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Blue Waterfalls is a campanula that is low and spreads.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, thanks. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bluestone has it or check Plant Scout.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Bluestone has it, I put it on my wish list. Hope they have another sale very soon!!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

It's Campanula poscharskyana Blue Waterfall, (say that one 3 times real fast)...... I got one at my local nursery for about $6, (quart size).

If that's an Amaranth, would it be considered a weed or perenn? And will it reseed too much or is it nice? lol.

One of my shrub clems
another shrub clematis

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That reminds me to check my infant Petite

I consider Amaranth a nice annual that turns out to be a perennial due to seeding. I love them and so do the birds when they go to seed. NICE Clematis!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Just love your smilebox!!!!!! And wow to your watercolor!!!! Please show us more, especially of watercolors from your garden..I am wanting to do this in the future and would love to get inspired!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are sweet pansies

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Woooeeeee!!! First clematis bloom, Sizaja Ptitsa, along with a solitary leftover Geranium Johnson's Blue. G Rozanne will soon fill in, in case SP decides to honor my garden with more beauties.
Veronica Red Fox, after many divisions, is finally covering some ground, here with Armeria and Sempervivum Red Cobweb.

Great Smilebox, ge... I hope you post the painting when it's finished.
Lovely pansies, WW...

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.