Show us your Spring Flowers

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Donner, I'm pretty sure my Brunnera came from you and they are doing great and look wonderful so does the ginger that I think came from you as well.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, the Brunnera did come from me. I am very glad they are doing great! Once you get them in the garden, you will always have baby plants to share each year. The ginger must have been from somebody else. I wouldn't mind getting a ginger plant myself :-).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well it definitely came from the Swap at Aspenhill last year.
Have to check out the swap lists for our swaps and see if anyone has it on their swap list.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 8:55 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have donners brunnera too
; ^)
For GInger I assume CHantell or critter!

I will have to find a place for a bunch of Greek Anemone coming out of two large pots that I grew them in. Not too familiar, any advice where to put Greek Anemone?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Pink Dogwood (Gettysburg College Campus)
My Redbud
Ornamental cherry (Gettysburg College Campus)
Greater Celandine Poppy (a double flowered one)
Confederate Violet

Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer

So pretty!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Rhododendron
Snapdragon 'Twinny Peach'
Sanpdragon NoID
Allium 'Purple Sensation'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, Just love, love, love that Alium

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love the snapdragons!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here's a couple of iris blue flag and midnight, alaska daisy and blue lupine.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

1--"Koromo Shukibu" Azalea
2--Pink Azalea
3--My old, white Azalea bush

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

More----

1--Poker Primrose I just bought
2--My first rose to bloom--"Proud Land"
3--What is this flower???? Got it from my neighbor.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

red penstemon?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, Does this look like your Cristata Iris? Not quite sure it is the same. Not sure where I got it but it is the prettiest little iris. Might have gotten it at one of the swaps.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I really like that primrose poker.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yours is a little darker but yes looks like Cristata

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Did you bring any to the swaps?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

No I bought that last year from Bluestone

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

There are no more Poker Primroses at my HD. ALL GONE!!!
I checked yesterday--Saturday--on the table where they were--and only found two, out of bloom ones,
tucked away in a corner. I imagine they will get tossed any day now.
I could pick them up for you the next day I work (Wednesday PM) IF they are still there.
I KNOW they will still be $5.98 each.
Do you want me to check--or buy them --if they are still there???? Bell may have tossed them!

The ones I bought for myself--are all planted.
The 3 I bought for donner--I am keeping going on my patio. So far....So good!

It has been a real HAUL to keep all the plant divisions I have potted up going!
Not sure I should be so "Eager Beaver" next year. It has been overwhelming!

I started out thinking that I have NOTHING to share. HUH???? Really???
WHERE did all these divisions and plants come from????
NONE of them are from seed! All are divisions of existing plants....

My Patio is loaded! I am searching for a spot to put something on in vain....
I took pictures---but will spare you all the agony!

Donner is back! So glad! Safe and sound!!!! WHEW!

Trying VERY hard to catch up with all my gardening....Too hard to do.....
My energy levels are really crashing.....as they should be at my age.

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Gita, No don't get them I really thought they were so cute. I will have to be on the look out for them next year. Primroses are pretty marginal plants in our area. I haven't had good luck keeping them going from year to year.
Gita, You always have such nice plants to share, my driveway is really filling up, too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--I will, probably, have many extra plants that no one has asked for.

Do not be shy--IF you want more of anything. Just let me know.

Whatever I have left--unasked for--I will just take to work and give them away....

You know--None has asked me for any of the pink Evening Primrose????
The one that grows like a semi-tall ground cover. Mine just started blooming....

OK! I think this is it.... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/47764/

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There will be a few people at the swap that don't have access to DG. A few people are bringing friends and a few of my neighbors will be here. So all extras will be gladly appreciated. Any extra plants that people don't take and don't want to take home can be left with me.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Showy Evening Primrose - Oenothera speciosa
Allium schubertii - 16" pot, 18" flower head!
Penstemon NoID

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

nice

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I love penstemons.

Crozet, VA

Oh wow!!!! What a beautiful tour of your gardens this was. Everyone has some really lovely plants.

Flowajen, I had to laugh when I read that someone asked about your camera, because I had already decided to ask you myself.......there is certainly a big difference, that I had never realized before now. Good going...and beautiful.

Thank you to all who shared. Just lovely.

Ruby

Amazing Allium, greenthumb.
Ruby yur yard looks lovely and green on the pics you posted somewhere, here or there.
I hauled my DD to the back and showed her my spectacular foxgloves. Then as we walked back to the house, I saw a white Siberian iris that had JUST opened. I know it had not been there about three houes earlier. Amazing. Getting too dark for pictures tho.

Are foxgloves perennial? These were young plants from GIta last spring.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

Foxgloves are seriously Bi-ennial. Their seed is like dust.....flies everywhere....
Comes up in the fall and grows into nice rosettes of leaves. Good to move them at this stage to where you want....

The leaf-rosettes survive the winter and continue growing in the spring into massive plants that send up
tall spikes that bloom from the bottom up and keep on going....The need staking....

Be careful in handling this plant--in all respects. Especially the seed-collecting.
You do not want to inhale any of the seed or, accidentally, swallow any seeds. They are extremely toxic!
They contain a compound that can affect your heart/and other organs---as the other name for Foxgloves is "Digitalis".

I have plenty to share. let mew know if you will want some. So far--they are not on your "wants" list to me.

Don't let the scare tactics bother you. Same as Brugs and Daturas and Morning Glories---they are all equally toxic.
Use common sense--wash your hands, etc.....These are my two colors---may be a bit deeper pink??

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Thank you for the info Gita. I seem to have a perfect location for them as they are spectacular. I have to search for my picture, or be sure and get one. I have one deep pink, two medium, three just a bit lighter. I would like to have another round for the next season, if you have a chance to dig some. Thank s! Maybe it was at Jill's late summer swap that I got these from you.
My neighbor in back (near where my foxgloves are) put in a privacy fence last year, Oddly, she left ten- 15 feet of mostly bare ground on my side- so there is plenty of room for rogue Foxgloves to take over, Wouldn't that be a sight...She seems to have no intention of doing anything with the ground.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, Digitalis purpurea and its various cultivars such as 'Camelot Rose', 'Pam's Choice', 'Apricot Beauty' etc. are biennial and some will even bloom a second year. There are many other species of Digitalis that are truly perennial. Below are photos taken yesterday of D. grandiflora and D. ferruginea 'Gigantica' that we have had for several years and are just starting this year's blooms. (Oddly, D. ferruginea is listed as a biennial.) We have several other species such as D. lutea, D. parviflora and D. thaspi 'Spanish Peaks' that are about to produce blooms again after multiple years in our garden.

This message was edited May 14, 2012 6:18 AM

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

Cool stuff.
That second one looks like grumpy men with their lower lips stuck out!!
I have a delicate pale yellow Foxglove from you, my bad I do not remember the sp at the moment, but it seems perennial and has made a few offspring.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I'm sure the yellow foxglove I gave you is D. grandiflora.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

greenthumb---

I had to go outside and look just now--as I had forgotten about the 2 yellow, perennial Foxgloves
you gave me last year (year before??). it grew nicely and bloomed. I even collected some seed.

It is not there any more!!!! No wonder I had forgotten about it!
Cannot find the picture of it in bloom right now. But here is one of the plants from last spring...
Are there any critters that would have eaten it--or dug it up?
It was right against my shed....in the flower bed there.

Sally--
My Foxgloves have been all dug up long ago and are in 4" pots.
Some are getting almost to the "bolting" stage. I will bring you several.
Do not know the color each will be.
Here is a picture of the deeper pink and a white one.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Thanks greenthumb; copy/pasting now for my journal.
Thanks Gita! any color they end up being, will be gorgeous.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Foxgloves for me have never spread, I also lost a Pam's Choice...trying again with some new ones I planted last year...so hopefully will bloom this year, if you spread seed this year they should bloom next year(we'll see what happens)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - I'll look around for a spare D. grandiflora for you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, David.

I truly have NO idea where mine went!!! They were there last year--and doing great!

Is there anything else I can give you two? Check the Swap Chat Thread--look at all the plants I
already have packed up this AM! That was a chore--glad it s done.
Now--just to hope that. by some miracle, I can get them all in my little Subaru Outback.

Did you see the picture???? All this has to fit in my car somehow.....Have NO idea how!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.