Annual Poppies #2

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, I have a " Poppies for Idiots" question. I know that everyone has talked about saving seeds. However, me being the optimist that I am, I want to think that although these plants may die down in the heat of summer, that they'll come back from the roots? I know nada about these Iceland poppies, so please help me understand.

I've got the seeds from OSPS that never got winter sown, so I'll just save them in the freezer to keep them fresh to broadcast or winter sow this winter. The few seeds that I did sow a few weeks ago do have their true leaves, so they're coming along nicely in the pots, and some in the the ground by shadier side of the house.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

If they are perennial then obviouly they will return. Or if they just sort of scatter their seeds, then you will have poppies, just not from the same plant which dies over winter. Orientals are the exception coming back from their own roots. I am no expert either, but for me to have poppies I have to save the seeds on most all of them. Of course, being in Georgia perhaps you are figureing they won't die due to cold. I would think that annual type poppies have internal clocks just like dahlias which know when to start growning according to their kind even if in a paperbag in the basement. The poppies know what their life cycle is -- finis.

And that is from one 'poppy idiot' to another, if I may be so bold as to say. I could be all wet. Hopefully some of our more erudite gardeners can fill us both in.

Louisville, KY

Oberon its too hot for planting of iceland poppies here. I am going to plant some in the basement in the fall then plant them out in the garden perhaps in December.

that sounds so strange -- planting stuff out in December. But I guess it isn't so funny when you leave in a climate like yours. Hope it works.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The Iceland poppies stayed green the entire winter here, even when we were it the teens. Those temps seem so long ago. John what zone are you in?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant wait to see "poppy progress" today. Its still too dark to check the garden.

At 2AM I would think so! Good grief. I checked my inside stuff and I have one delph from New Zealand germinated - Yayyy! Hope there are many more. Red Climber is still a no go, but hope it's stint outside didn't kill the seed. Don't think so as the peas just germinated. It will be interesting to see the difference between things I WS and then also planted indoors. A controlled test. sort of

Louisville, KY

Cem... I am in zone 6b/ 7a.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Regarding roots and O. poppies. I believe catalogs sell Oriental poppies as roots. Here's an interesting article about Oriental Poppies:

http://overplanted.com/profiles/oriental-poppies.php

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes you do get a root.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My garden helper cleaned where I had little poppy extras. When I sowed the seeds went quite wide. I put the bottle over the biggest bunch. Good thing I left the bottles in place. Garden helper raked the margins and I doubt those will survive. I might remove the bottle soon.I am worries it will get too hot in there where the rest of the greenie weenies are. Dont want to cook them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They can cook so lift the lid during the day and put it back at night - around 6 PM.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Did it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

More Teeny greenies under the screen. My life is complete.

I'm so happy for you!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder17, that was a very informative article by Tom Fischer. My fav quote "Those immense, crinkled, silky flowers, with their blood-colored petals and mysterious, coal-black centers, bypass the frontal lobes and aim straight for the groin. To see them is to want them". I must say that I have never heard of most of the ones he mentioned. Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl,now I know how long a cold period needs to be.

What a poppy description !!!!

I did find two huge packages of poppy seed and intend to plant some while it's still hot and then in early April just to test the coldness issue. I'll document each area I plant.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just checked up the post and March 7 was when O sowed the last poppies under screen held down with stones.
I had planned to sow in April but forgot about cold startification which someone reminded me of so I sowed in March hopeing there would be enough cold time before the warm temps came and they either germinated or didnt, depending on how long a stratification period they needed.If they were in cold strata a weeeek thats being generous. Temps went into the 70's for the past 2 weeks and sure enough all sowen poppies germinated. The ones in the bottles germed first. I removed the bottles and they are happy.
Bottle babies sown Feb 28 pix 1
Sown under screen Mar 7 pix 2

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Mike, I thought the article was worthy of sharing.

I have sooo many sprouted O. poppies in milk jugs. I just can't keep them alive until they get established in the gardens. "Taking the lid off"--are you talking milk jugs?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cut the bottoms off 1/2 gallon milk jugs. Sowed the poppies and put the jugs on top.I anchored them in place with 2 plant supports.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, now I understand. You basically planted them in the ground and covered them with the top of a milk jug. Maybe, I will try that next year. It's too late this year. I have plenty of babies in the jugs--but getting them from the jugs to the garden is quite difficult for me. It's either too much rain, hail, or too hot. Right now, we're having a thunderstorm.
Thanks for explaining your sowing method.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The jug acts as a greenhouse. The wee plants never need to have their roots disturbed in transplant. The seeds germinate where they are and the plants grow.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think that's a great method. I wonder if I could prepare the garden soil, put a chunk of poppies from my jug and then cover them with a bottomless milk jug. We just had some golf ball size hail!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It might work if your temps arent too high. If temps go over 75-80 they might cook in the jug. That protection would work if your hail comes.

I have never had luck transplanting seedlings of poppies. Thats not to say some people might do OK with it.

The chunk of poppies transplanting has worked for me. Water them in well.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

That's a great article, Birder. Thanks for sharing.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Pirl. I liked the article too. How "tall" did you let the poppies get before you planted the "chunk of poppies"?

An inch at most. I did scratch the soil where I put each clump and watered it well after I put the poppies in place so that must have helped.

I think it helps to water the clump too. I didn't do that and the clump fell apart with teeny tiny little plants flopping every where. Watering holds the dirt together and the plants also.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Mine aren't an inch tall yet.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad things are growing

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are a few poppy blooms from today.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a sight. Those look wonderful.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks ge, are your poppy babies ok with the cold snap that came through ?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh yes,they like the cold.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Cem9165
If you have seeds to trade from that lovely white one I would LOVE to have a few.
Kathy

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll be happy to send you some if I get seeds;-) I'll tag the plants so that I remember the colors. Annette

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

More poppy blooms from my garden. The second and third blooms are in pots that I removed the daffodils, and pansies, and replaced them with summer annuals. I did mess with the poppy roots, but I watered the pots well, and they still bloomed today. I also removed some of the poppies from the pots and planted them in the garden. We'll see how they'll do. The other 2 blooms are from plants that have been planted in the garden since last fall.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Annette,
that would be great. I love that white!
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.