Annual Poppies #2

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

shihtzumom - dmail me your address and I will get them right off. I have some shirley's left, lots of grape, black, lavender, red, pink. Will try to send a good variety

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

weenie poppies are still there

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good sign! May this be the start of a great poppy season for you, Jo Ann.

I finally did sow the three seed packages I had purchased from OSPS and that night it rained - heavenly.

I just received a late order (I was late, not them) from OSPS. Beautiful lavendar poppies. I forgot them send just a few, so I will have to wait til this fall to share seeds. Will plant them today. I have several small packets (more seeds by far than OSPS, but then I am not selling them) out side in my moveable 'greenhouse' for a nice cold snap before sending them on to others. I am now down to a small cache of seeds. It is kind of a good feeling to think of poppies growing down south that started from our seeds up here. It is a rather large project during the summer tagging the plants with thier color, then harvesting the plants and hanging them upside down in the garage. Daughter says I look like an opium lord. lol. Some are definitely more prolific like Laurn's grape. I hope to have a larger haul of some of the newer ones I planted last year from another DG'r.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Oberon. I have hopes for the seeds you sent late Feb. The ones in the photo are from Venus's I have been having luck with from OSPS in 2009. They are hardy and 100% germination. I will post photos of your Grape and Lavanders when they germinate.Maybe I will check milk jugs.I know its been warm for over 10 days. If I dont see anything I will just chalk it up to "not warm enough yet"

Thanks Pirl. I remember how enchanted you were with the poppies that grew in the JI gardens.

the ones I just received are Papaver Somniferum -Lavender Semi-Double and Lavender Feathers.

I am conducting an experiment. I planted the new seeds in a special sort of flat (pictures to follow) and set them out side. I have had some poppy seeds in plastic packets out in the cold for about a week. I have taken a sampling and planted them in a jug and put them under my aero garden grow lites to see if they will germinate. the soil is not as wet as it looks. Just spritzed the top

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Do you just pop the plants out of the foam cellpack when you transfre to the garden?
I cant wait to see what happens.
Checked my jug covers and no sighn of wee ones.I am not discouraged.

the top foam cellpack sits on a piece of materials that wicks water from the plastic flat. the cellpack sits on a foam piece that has 'pillars' which while in this state are upside down holding the cellpack up out of the water in the tray. When they are ready to transplant, you remove the cell, flip over the piece that has pillars on the other side and place under the cellpack. Each little pillar gently pushes the dirt and plant out of the cellpack in once piece. Need to water first (I keep forgetting) to make the dirt more cohesive so the plug holds together.

My descriptive powers being what they are (not so hot) I just took a couple of pictures.

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46

Well, if they don't for some reason produce, I have more seeds, not a lot , but can resend after freezing up here. Plus if the ones in my experiment germinate then I would think that just keeping them in the fridge in their little packets for a while would do the trick. Will let you know. gotta go do something productive now. At least from the perspective of my husband. :)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm watching - interesting project!
Kathy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Poppy blooms are soooo far off I just cant think about it.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh hail Opium Lord! LOL! Am I the only one that want a piece of toast right now? See Oberon first of three pics above. (funny). Found snails in the O/P while cleaning up a little yesterday. Not thrilled. Expecting 80°f today. More outdoor cleanup. Washing out bird bath and refilling suet feeder for the downy woodpecker and reg feeder for the other flying friends. Daff, Crocus and Helebourous blooming here in zone 5. Still waiting on A/P germination.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hooorayyy for opium. Its hard to make unles you know what you are doing.

So my daughter tells me as she laughingly looked at all the plants hanging upside down drying in my garage. I'd rather have flowers. The result is much better and far healthier.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Bad news and good news. Bad news first, I've got the flu, ewww!!!! ack!!!! LOL. Good news is I have poppy blooms that opened today. Yipeee!!! I needed something to cheer me up. Here are some pics, and I have a lot more stems with buds that are about to open. These were the plants that I planted from flats last fall that are finally blooming. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous poppies!

Hope you feel better soon.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a treat.

Louisville, KY

Those are beautiful....I'm jealous. Hope you feel well soon.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks y'all ;~} I'll be taking easy over the next few day, and just stay home to enjoy some blooms. Annette

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous! I love the pink!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice Annette. They are all gorgeous to me.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks kosk and Mike.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Cem: sorry to hear you have the flu. It's a bad way to be. Thanks for sharing your poppy pics. Are those Iceland Poppies? Papaver nudicaule?

I have about three different kinds of poppies in my garden for the first time this year. I am not sure what kinds they are. The leaves all look a little different. So, I am really anxious to see which they are when they bloom.
I believe the bloom sequence is Iceland poppies, then annual poppies, then Oriental Poppies?

This is an interesting PDF on bloom sequence; very detailed

http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Horticulture-Leaflets/Sequence-Of-Bloom-Of-Perennials-Biennials-And-Bulbs.pdf

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey birder, the poppies were identified as Iceland poppies. They are from a flat that I planted last fall that the growers labeled as a Champagne mix.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Annette,
Hope you feel better soon! The orange poppy is beautiful.....
Kathy

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kathy.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are a few more blooms that opened today. The first is in a pot with daffodils that have already bloomed, and the others in the bed with the Parrot tulip mix.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

So nice. The border is beautiful.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just dashed in.I peered into the tops of the milkbottles and its full of teeeny greenies. Oberons poppies have germinated. I will leve the bottles alone until the plants are ready to thin.
I am so stoaked.

The poppies under the screen were planted many days later so no germination yet.
Happy Days

Great. Glad to hear they 'made it'. Was gettingworried. Mine are all outside and won't have enough heat for another month to germinate.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That milkbottle trick is a great idea.

Now watch poppies get out of controle here LOL

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Congrats on your germination. Looking forward to seeing your blooms.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am relieved.Onward to summer.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Twinsies, LOL. They are a ton of buds yet to open on this plant.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

I think I love these little guys almost more than the taller big guys like Audrey's Grape.

Louisville, KY

I think so too Oberon. I have only bloomed one or two plants out of many efforts.They are beautiful.

Is it too hot where you are? Too dry?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.